CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
smoovecock
Regalcock
JerseyBird
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
ZenUSC
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (2446)
Constant Updates on (2393)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1215)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1133)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (1112)
How cool would it be (1010)
Carolina/Clemson gam (812)
Palmetto Bowl (727)
Chattanooga upends N (606)
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Constant Updates on Watso
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Bowl projections
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
Andrew Clifford Scooter A

Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material
Default Can Tennessee get to a Bowl Game in 2014?

Help me out Gamecock friends. Where should I set my expectations for this fall? Our spring practice looked to establish a lot of new firepower for our offense. Marquez North looks like he is going to be a monster and newcomers Josh Malone and Von Pearson look to be the real deal (Malone had 3 TD's in the spring game). Add them to Jason Croom and the rest of our WR's and we should have a great group there.

Jalen Hurd and Marlin Lane look to be able to handle the ground game and our two freshen top rated TE's came in ready to play. The Oline has the talent to be good but has hardly any experience and no cohesion as a unit yet. it hink we will be better here than many would expect.

The big Q on O is QB. Worely, Ferguson and Dobbs all still look to have a shot at the job. Worely doesn't make mistakes, has improved his accuracy and arm strength, but obviously still has his limitations. Ferguson is Bray Jr. tons of talent but makes the bonehead throw way too often. Dobbs is steady and improving and has a great running threat.

Our Dline looks to be the biggest concern on the team. Not a ton of depth here of talent and we look like we will have to rely on some freshman coming in this summer. This scares me.

LB unit looks very good and secondary should be improved, but not amazing by any means. Overall I think our D improves but not by a huge amount.

So if you are still with me can TN win 6 games this fall?

Utah St - Could lose which would be terrible, but if we come ready to play at home should be a W

Ark St - Same as above but should be a W

@Oklahoma - Why are we doing this to ourselves right now? Big L

BYE

@UGA - We seem to always play them close but don't see us stopping Gurley. 10 Pt L.

UF - One of the biggest games of the season, true toss up and will depend on if Bama destroys UF the week before our game and has them reeling or not. Toss Up

Chattanooga - Thank God an easy one W

@Ole Miss - Actually forgot about this game. Not sure what to expect here. But since it is on the road I will say close L.

Bama - That was short lived Big L

@USC - Payback should likely be in the minds of SC. Should be competitive for a while then SC blows it open in the 2nd half 14pt L

Bye

Missouri - Bye comes at a good time as this is our second big toss up game. Missouri lost 15 starters and I am not expecting a lot of them this year. This game is at home and we will be coming off a bye with a bowl game still in play. Can we pull it out? Toss Up

Kentucky - Should be able to win this one at home with a bowl game hopefully still in sight if we could have won one of UF or Missouri W

@Vandy - I believe Vandy takes a big tumble this year. This being on the road isn't a problem either as we always put about 60% of the stadium in Orange. We will have improved a lot over the year with our young talent playing. I give us the W

So by my estimations we have 5 W's and 5 L's with two toss ups. Can we win either of the two Cock friends? Make me excited for the fall!

Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 300
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly
Default Re: Can Tennessee get to a Bowl Game in 2014?

If Tennessee comes ready to play in Week 1, I don't see why they can't win. But definitely do not underestimate Utah St.

With some solid QB play, there's no reason to believe you can't be Florida, especially at home. I see wins against Utah St, Ark St, UF, Chatt, UK, and Vandy. MAYBE Mizzou, depending on how Mauk does.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

That's the catch-22 for Tennessee right now. They need a substantial increase in the number of wins to make fans/alums happy. But, where are the wins going to come from?

For Butch Jones to succeed, he's going to have to TAKE wins from very, very good football teams. That's not something he's good at, to be honest. During his career, he's beaten 1 top 25 team that I know of. That was us.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 300
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
That's the catch-22 for Tennessee right now. They need a substantial increase in the number of wins to make fans/alums happy. But, where are the wins going to come from?

For Butch Jones to succeed, he's going to have to TAKE wins from very, very good football teams. That's not something he's good at, to be honest. During his career, he's beaten 1 top 25 team that I know of. That was us.
Beat #24 Pitt in 2011 as well.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post

True, but to be fair he's never had anywhere close to top 25 talent. Which is the case again this year sadly.

TN fans will stay on board if we get to a bowl. Anything less and you will see some start to hop off. I would give him one more year of full support to make a bowl and still be on board, especially if he could keep up the recruiting.

My hope is 6-6 this year and 7-5 or better at least in 2015. I don't need a huge jump, I just need to see steady improvement.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheredxtown View Post
Beat #24 Pitt in 2011 as well.
Was VT not ranked at the time they beat them his last year at Cincy?

How many opportunities did he have to play ranked teams as well?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999880
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

7 loss season. too many holes.

Eric knowns my opinion on bj, but thinks I have it out for him, but the truth is most UC fans will tell you he is a lot like dabo, lots of cheering, little coaching.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I just found you on SEC Rant because you posted the exact same thread.

<--GetCocky11
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
I just found you on SEC Rant because you posted the exact same thread.

<--GetCocky11
Nice! As you can see I want some opinions to form my expectations.

I don't feel like hoping for 6 wins is asking for too much. Seems to be split 50/50.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

One problem is scheduling. Y'all had an extremely tough schedule last year. Why play Oklahoma when you already have to play SEC east games plus Bama (aren't they UT's perm.opponent) Haven't y'all learned anything from Bama's schedule makers?
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

After last season, I don't think Tennessee should be discussed on this board. I hope they go 0-12.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Eric I think you posted a very fair assessment of TN's outlook. I think Florida is beatable for y'all, but there are a few games which truly could go either way like Ole Miss, Missouri, and Florida. I too think USC avenges the loss from last year. It's pay back time at the Brice!
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
One problem is scheduling. Y'all had an extremely tough schedule last year. Why play Oklahoma when you already have to play SEC east games plus Bama (aren't they UT's perm.opponent) Haven't y'all learned anything from Bama's schedule makers?
Agreed if we had the OOC schedule of Vandy a bowl game would look to be a lock.

Tough to start your season every year with 2 lead pipe locked L's.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

I think that your only chance to hit 6 wins is to win game one...if you all lose that game, you will have yet another Dooley-esque year...I see you guys beatin Ark St, Chattanooga, UK and Vandy for sure...the tossups to me at Utah St. and UF...I think that if Maty Mauk is healthy when Mizzou comes to town, he will beat you guys. This is the type of year in which we will see what kind of coach Butch Jones can be...otherwise he is just all talk
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Eric I think you posted a very fair assessment of TN's outlook. I think Florida is beatable for y'all, but there are a few games which truly could go either way like Ole Miss, Missouri, and Florida. I too think USC avenges the loss from last year. It's pay back time at the Brice!
Yea that isn't a game I am expecting you to over look us like last year. I felt good all summer last year about that game and it worked out. This year I feel the opposite. Def our 3rd most likely L.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
I think that your only chance to hit 6 wins is to win game one...if you all lose that game, you will have yet another Dooley-esque year...I see you guys beatin Ark St, Chattanooga, UK and Vandy for sure...the tossups to me at Utah St. and UF...I think that if Maty Mauk is healthy when Mizzou comes to town, he will beat you guys. This is the type of year in which we will see what kind of coach Butch Jones can be...otherwise he is just all talk
Would have to be very encouraged for the future if we could somehow get 7 in the reg season.

Doubtful but I think Butch would gain a lot of respect if he could manage that.

Will be pretty discouraging if we go 5-7 again. 6-6 and everything is pretty much on the same track.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I think the key for UT is qb play and injuries on defense. You cannot afford much.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Would have to be very encouraged for the future if we could somehow get 7 in the reg season.

Doubtful but I think Butch would gain a lot of respect if he could manage that.

Will be pretty discouraging if we go 5-7 again. 6-6 and everything is pretty much on the same track.
The way that butch talks, he needs to start backing up his shit or he is no better than Dooley...just a bigger douchebag along the way. Brick by brick, lol...

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see you all get 7 wins but then again I would not be surprised to see you all beat someone that you should not beat and then lose to someone like Vandy or UK.
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

UGA might be a W for you guys depending on their injuries and yours as well as who they play the week before, especially since you have a bye the week before. UGA always seems kind of dysfunctional at times too. All that would give you guys a much bigger advantage of course if it was at home for yall, but I see this as more of a tossup.

Utah State seems like the biggest trap. First game of the season, you guys (I think) have a lot of youth in the two deep. It also strikes me as the kind of game where Utah State might have circled as their one big game to beat someone notable and have all their practices geared towards taking you down. Of course I don't know a thing about them so they might just be really really bad...depends on their talent level as well as their number of older guys I think.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot material

Utah St.......................L

Ark St.........................W

@Oklahoma..................L

@UGA........................L

UF..............................L

Chattanooga...............W

@Ole Miss...................L

Bama..........................L

@USC..........................L

Missouri.......................L

Kentucky.....................W

@Vandy......................L