CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Regalcock
StormOfTalons
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
Cockypantherfan
rolinb1
Lonnie
ACPhilson
TJ Holloman (1650)
Spurrier accepts coc (1211)
They are coming to y (885)
How are we feeling a (673)
2013 game vs TN is o (607)
We lost a great Game (590)
Hard Knocks this wee (438)
Favorite Gamecock of (416)
"Penis Collecto (345)
This helmit is aweso (336)
Vote for Browns starting
Clowney leaves practice
Clowney possibly hurt
Browns announce Hoyer as
This helmit is awesome
Clemson RB Out for Year
Hard Knocks this week.
World of Warcraft
Scrimmage tonight?
2013 game vs TN is on SEC

Old 04-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mangus now coaching TEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Bashing coaches will get you banned...so did I just troll you?

BTW, we did just finish 4th in the nation?

Telling the truth is not bashing.

Might could have been higher with better special teams play...
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well he needs something....his QBs and play updates sure haven't done much.
Connor Shaw.
nuff said.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cock View Post
Please explain because when I look at all the talent that we have and then look at the sorry ass special teams the one thing that stands out to me is coaching. SOS will not deal with it.

I guess we will see when fall practice starts.
I've been very disappointed with our ST.
Maybe our guys can't cut it, but it is a coaches job to get the best players in positiion to succeed.

Last year the only bright spot was Fry, and I think Ace covered up a lot of mistakes the year before in the return game.

Robinson isn't a good recruiter, and if his special teams, which he will exclusively coach now and spend all his time with them, continue to struggle, I see no reason to keep him around...you either get the job done, or find someone else who can.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #24
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 0
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Mangus to add tight ends coaching to his duties

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/04/2...ml?sp=/99/101/
Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
InletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his combInletCock1989 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Good thought, but something tells me he might be enjoying life in the NFL a little bit more.
What about Ace?
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #26
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Connor Shaw.
nuff said.
And those horrible zone plays that showed up the year he came here?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #27
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Telling the truth is not bashing....
Bashing is bashing....just watch.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Please explain because when I look at all the talent that we have and then look at the sorry ass special teams the one thing that stands out to me is coaching. SOS will not deal with it.

We probably devote less time to ST in practice than any other top 25 school. SOS has always done that. Plus we don't put many starters on ST. Lots of schools do. SOS doesn't believe in that. I think that has as much to do with results.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #29
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Telling the truth is not bashing.

Might could have been higher with better special teams play...
That might be true if he were telling the truth. Instead, he is whining and lacks a factual foundation to support his argument our ST were "horrible." We actually were low in many of the ST statistical categories, but we were at least mediocre in several, including the important kickoff category, and we were outstanding in the FG statistics. The statistics prove the claim we were "horrible" is false and the dude who made the allegation should be called out on it.

Also, I find it ironic that since Robinson is the coach credited with finding and bringing in Fry, I think we are resistant to giving him a chance before we the fans call his teams "horrible." That is not true and it is not fact. It is an exaggerated whiney opinion, which by all means please post it publicly on our fan site, and let others support the person who wants to make it.

Moreover, I like the quirky direction our kicking game is headed. Watch the movie the Replacements and learn that kickers are weird. I don't think it hurts us to have a weird, quirky coach involved in our ST. It is likely good for the team overall and probably contributed to our high ranking.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #30
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Bashing coaches will get you banned...so did I just troll you?

BTW, we did just finish 4th in the nation?
The teaam as a whole did so but the ST units contributed little to that success. If anything that success was achieved in spite of our STs not because of them. FG were good and FG D ws solid with the lone bright spot being FG make % however it isn't like we blocked or altered numerios FGs or continuously banged through 50 yard + bombs. The rest... yuk.
Bashing indicates speculation, inuendo, rumor, slandor etc. Stating the fact that we are in the bottom 1/4 -1/3 in KO and KO return and in Punt and punt return is a statistical reality not bashing.
Look at teams ssuch as Kstate which yr in and yr out field teams that have O and D that rank outside of the top 50 yet often compete with top tier teams for the Conf title. Thier lone stand out is special teams. ST first place nationally = being aproz 3 yrds to the plus in net punt and KO return vs allowed.
Doesn't sound like much granted but think about it if we advanced our field position 3 yrds every time the ball was kicked either way, all game, every game ........
With the team we have O and D if even we can even it up so as not to give ground via ST exchanges.. forget gain just cease giving ground how might that help us climb that remaining but biggest step?
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #31
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

Something I do not get is our performance on returns.

As a program I think our weakness is finding big linemen who can play, particularly on offense. That may have changed, we have been recruiting much better in this regard the past five years or so.

But we have always gotten plenty of athletic kids. And we get guys who can run at lb, even if they are a little on the small side sometimes.

So why can't we seem to dig up a return guy every year? Some of our kids really showed out in high school doing this. Is it the schemes? They just don't have the knack? We don't have starters out there playing on ST? We don't spend enough time on them in practice?

I really don't get it. I think we usually have the kind of kids that could be lights out as ST players, but it never happens. It sure seems to me that we generally are in the lower echelon of the SEC as regards this part of the game every year.

I think this is one thing we could do as well as Florida, LSU, anyone. But it never happens.

As someone said kickers are odd. You can guess wrong on how a kid translates to college pretty easily with a placekicker, given the tee and all. But why punters? What is different about popping the ball in HS as opposed to college? I'll never get that one. We've had kids that knocked the stuffing off in high school punting, then just don't do it here.

And you really have no control other than inviting kids to walk on if you don't offer a kicker. Seems like a lot of SEC schools go this route, then give them a scholarship if they don't win the job. But that is a guessing game too a lot of times.

But the return teams I don't get. And kick blocking. Was Georgia the last time we blocked a punt a couple years ago?

Dunno. Seriously going back to 92 it sure seems like we have had the worst special teams in the SEC any given year. Only time it really picked up was when Ace was doing it.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
We probably devote less time to ST in practice than any other top 25 school. SOS has always done that. Plus we don't put many starters on ST. Lots of schools do. SOS doesn't believe in that. I think that has as much to do with results.
Must be a heck of a view of our practice fields from Georgia. That's the only way, that I can think of, you know our time spent on special teams. Especially with most practices being closed to the public.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

This will help with TE recruiting for sure. It already seems like it is making an impact on the recruiting trail.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #34
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
This move might help us with 5* TE in '16 Isacc Nauta? We are in his top 2 and Mangus is his recruiter.
Thats a good point. I think this helps us a lot in getting Nauta. Even though Mangus was already his primary recruiter it means much more to the kids to have a strong bond with your position coach than your recruiter, and Robinson doesn't recruit well enough to establish a friendship strong enough to pull an out of state 5*.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #35
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
This will help with TE recruiting for sure. It already seems like it is making an impact on the recruiting trail.
Agreed. I'm excited to see the kind of talent we can pull with Mangus recruiting TEs
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #36
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 960
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
got to find a punter who can kick the ball more than 30 yards with consistency
^^^^^^!

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #37
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spurs

Quote:

Joe Rob isn't the one shanking the ball off the side of his foot. True, he may be putting that guy out there. But the scary thought is.....is that really the best guy we got on the team? You don't have people breathing down your neck to kill you. You can't get hit...period. All you have to do is kick the ball at least 40 yds. How is that hard to find someone who can do that?
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #38
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Pretty interesting move, in a good way. I'm excited to see how this works out.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #39
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudly

Besides Ace Sanders, our ST's have been a joke. Coverage & return teams have routinely ranked in the the bottom of statistics nationally, It may be more than the ST's coach, we've had different pieces to the puzzle on the sidelines & the field but essentially the same results minus exceptional play by Sanders. Looks to me that more emphasis on ST's from players/coaching, practice/film time is needed. Usually the depth of a team can be seen by the ST's, not so much w/us..
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #40
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Maybe, but that punter spends almost the whole time punting and he is turrrible.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote