CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
sanford
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
75CarolinaFan
Spurticus
Aggie96
B-G
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
Sidney Rice Retiring (1344)
Dan Patrick Show - P (610)
ESPN Insider (533)
Pictures of older Co (438)
SOS Dominating SEC M (292)
Bonefish Grill (264)
Places to eat in Con (254)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (206)
This Song is the F'i (202)
What Are The Most Im (202)
Name a Gamecock
Green and Lammons
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
Texags
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Predict Clemson 2014
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
2015 Commitment - Damon A
Ace suspended 4 games
Another A&M aggie off

Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Grit_And_Steel
Not The Average Cracker

Male

CockyCash: 100200
Grit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot material
Default 3-4 looks in 2014?

Read it here...

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...28/0/FRONTPAGE
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Re: 3-4 looks in 2014?

Kind of nervous about it, but do like having a NT right on the center. Maybe some disrupted snaps?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Well I'll take his word for it. See how summer practice goes. It's only April so I'm not gonna worry about it too much now.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his comb

The 3-4 is scary, you need a big NG not sure who that is. .. but on the upside you have a lot of opportunities to disguise blitzers and can do a lot with the lbs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
The 3-4 is scary, you need a big NG not sure who that is. .. but on the upside you have a lot of opportunities to disguise blitzers and can do a lot with the lbs.

That's kind of what I am hoping. The 4th can come from anywhere. Hopefully, it will affect the offense. With the size of SEC lines, I would expect more between the tackle running.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his combcarolina_corpsman is developing his comb

I think they won't use it as a base, at least I hope not. Like I said not sure they have a big nose tackle to anchor the line and fill holes, if they don't there is not much point in blitzing a lb. This team seems to have small quick lbs not the big run stuffing mike backers. But the 3-4 would be a great addition to give opposing qbs somthing else to read in passing situations. Again just my opinion.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:

I have heard the 3-4 is great against the run. But I swear everytime I see it used, the linemen not occupied by a DL always get out and destroy the backers.

I have a feeling our run D is going to take a step backwards.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

Quote:

I raised this question a few days ago and was told to look to Abu Lamin as the solution.I personally do not like the 3-4. It seems to me to allow RBs to gain a head of steam.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming in

What would be nice is if one of those LBs could develop into an elite pass rushing DE like Vic Beasley at Clemons. But you know what they say, take poop in one hand and hope in the other, clap and see whatcha get.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #10
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Not a bad move because we are thin (literally) at DE and very deep at DT. It won't be a look we go to on 1st down against a running team but something we will use at the appropriate time.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwylie View Post
I raised this question a few days ago and was told to look to Abu Lamin as the solution.I personally do not like the 3-4. It seems to me to allow RBs to gain a head of steam.
The issue of personnel was my first question when I read about this before the spring. Like you, I don't like the 3-4.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

The 3-4 run defense strength is a myth.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

It isn't gong to be a base. It is just trying to better utilize under sized ends like daris english. He has added 20 pounds and is up to 250ish but still needs more
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

whammy has said our 3-4 won't necessarily have a NT.....just bring the 4th LB on the weak side to the LOS. This LB is going to be called "The Bob" and BAW is the perfect fit for the position. whammy also said the 3-4 will not be our base defense.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #15
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
whammy has said our 3-4 won't necessarily have a NT.....just bring the 4th LB on the weak side to the LOS. This LB is going to be called "The Bob" and BAW is the perfect fit for the position. whammy also said the 3-4 will not be our base defense.
I am probably missing something, but it sounds like having 2 down linemen is just a poor idea. ...

Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #16
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am probably missing something, but it sounds like having 2 down linemen is just a poor idea. ...

3 linemen plus a LB.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #17
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
3 linemen plus a LB.
If it's a 3-4 and according to the above post they would not be using a NT....that leaves 2...

Old 04-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #19
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
If it's a 3-4 and according to the above post they would not be using a NT....that leaves 2...

Probably would use a regular DT.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #20
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
3 linemen plus a LB.
Yes....a DT and DE on one side and a DT/DE and LB on the other. The 3-4 also gives us a better chance to get Moore and Walton on the field at the same time.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote