CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
A. Pilgrim
ReadR00ster
thekob
jrussjr
B-G
l^l^lBGCock
NineInchSpurs
Lonnie
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
Davis dinged up agai (2773)
Winston (1844)
New Photos by Travis (1641)
For the love of God! (1306)
Quarles is a Colt! (1011)
Hatin' Ass Spurrier (762)
Waldrop injured (714)
Wake Forest recruiti (713)
The Most Controversi (583)
CBS Sports Meathead (553)
Davis dinged up again?
Tony Stewart kills Kevin
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Christian Walker called u
Winston
2014-15 Premier League se
New Photos by Travis Bell
SOS: No QB controversy
For the love of God! -- P
Terrible Officiating.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #41
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Would rather do 16 teams with 4 divisions with a RR rotation each year. Those teams are tradtional powerhouses because of their history, they are usually good teams. UT and UF have potential to surprise everyone this year. The problem with the SEC is that it's at the point of being too big for 2 divisions, and too small for 4 divisions. 9 Conference games should've been added imo.

If transportation was cheaper, and faster I would rather have the divisions like this

BAMA
AU
Ole Miss
MSST
UT
UGA
Vandy

Then

USC
UF
LSU
UK
Mizzou
Arky
TAMU

This takes care of all the rivals, and the two opposing division games can be rotated each year.
All they need to do to the current model is swap UT with AU.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #42
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

There are only divisions in football right?
I know basketball did away with them, I don't follow any other sport really besides basketball and football.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #43
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
There are only divisions in football right?
I know basketball did away with them, I don't follow any other sport really besides basketball and football.

I think Baseball still does it.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #44
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
All they need to do to the current model is swap UT with AU.
How about switch Mizzou for AU, and make BAMA/AU game a non conference rival game unless it's their turn in the division rotation? Honestly BAMA is the main reason division flips are so problematic, your idea is pretty good as well, and probably the best solution.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #45
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
This is a "right now" view. So if you want to use the "right now" version, you'd trade the SEC-East Champ for the SEC-West Champ and SEC-West #2 for SEC East #4 team.

Plus this would shut the taters up about how we play in the SEC-Easy division...

Let me couch it to you like this, Would you rather travel to College Station and Columbia, Missouri every other year or Bryant Denny and The Plains?

And even tho he's on my ignore list, I'd really like Thenardier to give his thoughts on this...
Right now, historically, however you want to slice it - it makes the East too top heavy and doesn't balance the SEC. yes I know things go in cycles but no one would agree to this. I'm sure it would make LSU happy. All the other schools in the West have pretty much zero history regarding a winning tradition or titles.

As to which I would rather travel, it doesn't matter to me. I live in California so they are all really far
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #46
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Future(and current) SEC punching bags
UNC
Ohio State
Texas
Nebraska
Michigan
NC State
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #47
splinters
Recruit

Male

splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous

LSU has already scheduled a game at Syracuse in 2015 and Syracuse to LSU in 2017
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #48
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 100
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
how old are you.....we played them a few times 20-30 years ago.
Doesn't mean we can't do it again :)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #49
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
I've said it 1000x times, but there's a solution to the permanent cross division rival thing, and it's realigning the divisions. Move Auburn and Alabama to the east and Mizzou and Vandy to the west. That way it preserves Tenn vs Bama, Auburn vs UGA and the Iron bowl (and let's be honest, these are the only 3 games the SEC front office really cares about "protecting"), and we get to see teams other than A&M more frequently than once every 8 years....
If they did that, here's what the 2 divisions would look like:

East...Bama, Auburn, SC, Ga, Fla, Tenn, UK (6 good teams)

West.....A&M, Arky, Miss St, Miss, LSU, Mizzou and Vandy (3/4 good teams)

You think those divisions are equal in talent.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #50
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

Lonnie and I have already been having those discussions
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #51
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:

Florida and Tennessee are good teams?

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #52
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm curious as to which teams you're considering good. From the way I look at it, it's already exactly the same thing, just in reverse as far as which division has more "good" teams.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #53
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think he's trying to have it both ways as far as which teams he considers good. If you look at just historically, then we probably shouldn't be included and UT should, but if you look at it as far as current state of the teams, then UT (yes, I know they won last year) shouldn't be included and we should.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #54
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

A few things here.
#1 We tried from day one to play the whorns. Told them anywhere, anytime, on any network and they said their non-conference schedule was booked for ten years. Strong doesn't want us right now either. He is trying to rebuild a team that is getting their poo pushed in for the first time in forever on the recruiting trail in Texas. Get slapped around by the Good guys will not help his cause. We have already stolen a few of their top commits too.
#2 this year we aren't scheduled to play anyone from the big 4, but starting next year we have PAC 14 teams scheduled for the next 5 years.
#3 I like this method myself.

theroommateswitch.wordpress.com
1. Keeps the historic SEC rivalry games in tact (the ones that matter)
2. Every SEC team plays every other SEC team AT LEAST every other year
3. Every SEC team completes a home & home with every SEC team at least every four years
4. Preserves the SEC championship game
I'm a big fan of this proposal. It is good for EVERY SEC team and the conference in general. Works in 8 and 9 game format. Very little downside. Real rivalry games are protected. LSU should like it b/c of Florida. Saban should like it b/c of frequent match-ups with every team. It levels the playing field for programs that are strong/weak (like UT recently). No team is ever more than one season away from going head-to-head.
The 6-1-1 is complete sh*t IMO

Gig 'Em - you can eat the apple, but don't F with the Corps!
Aggie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #55
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 100
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

Nice to finally have an A&M input on here.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #56
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Florida went to the sugar twice in the past 5 years and has won the NC twice in the past 10 years. Yeah, I'd say UF is pretty good, one bad year excepted

UT is a train wreck, so that point is taken.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #57
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Looks like Mizzou better start up the Kansas rivalry again and aTm needs to schedule Texas. Bama, Vandy, UT usually schedules at least one game against the power conferences.
2000 was the last year we didn't.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #58
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
A few things here.
#1 We tried from day one to play the whorns. Told them anywhere, anytime, on any network and they said their non-conference schedule was booked for ten years. Strong doesn't want us right now either. He is trying to rebuild a team that is getting their poo pushed in for the first time in forever on the recruiting trail in Texas. Get slapped around by the Good guys will not help his cause. We have already stolen a few of their top commits too.
#2 this year we aren't scheduled to play anyone from the big 4, but starting next year we have PAC 14 teams scheduled for the next 5 years.
#3 I like this method myself.

theroommateswitch.wordpress.com
1. Keeps the historic SEC rivalry games in tact (the ones that matter)
2. Every SEC team plays every other SEC team AT LEAST every other year
3. Every SEC team completes a home & home with every SEC team at least every four years
4. Preserves the SEC championship game
I'm a big fan of this proposal. It is good for EVERY SEC team and the conference in general. Works in 8 and 9 game format. Very little downside. Real rivalry games are protected. LSU should like it b/c of Florida. Saban should like it b/c of frequent match-ups with every team. It levels the playing field for programs that are strong/weak (like UT recently). No team is ever more than one season away from going head-to-head.
The 6-1-1 is complete sh*t IMO

Gig 'Em - you can eat the apple, but don't F with the Corps!
Great first couple of post, and welcome to Cockytalk. That pod formula you posted is what I want with the 16 teams each division would have 4 teams and they would alternate each year on a abcd clockwise rotation.

Edit, but I would like this system to be implemented ASAP if possible it will still work with 14 teams, and give each team in the SEC a diverse schedule each season.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #59
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I'm curious as to which teams you're considering good. From the way I look at it, it's already exactly the same thing, just in reverse as far as which division has more "good" teams.
East good teams - Bama, Auburn, UGA, Florida (offense may struggle but always one of the best defenses in the country), and us.

5 of the 7 teams in the East have won a national title, 3 of those in the last half decade. Every team in the division was been in the SEC title game except UK in the last few years. Yes, UT is down right now but still a formidable opponent.

Now look at the West. Who has won anything in the West? LSU and Arky. Arky has been bad lately and not consistently good. A&M has been good but is that because of a star player or are they really a good program? Mizzou had ONE GOOD YEAR. Can it be duplicated? Sure but that doesn't make them a good program yet. Vandy has been to some bowl games recently but they aren't a great team and the coach that took them there just left.

So let's throw out the top two teams in each division right now (LSU and A&M or Mizzou, Bama and Auburn). Which top two teams are tougher? Bama and Auburn are tougher than A&M or Mizzou and LSU. Now look at the remaining schedule in the East and West.

East - UGA, UF, UT, USC, and UK
West - Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, Mizzou, Arkansas

Which schedule would you rather play? I'd take the West in a heartbeat right now.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #60
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Great first couple of post, and welcome to Cockytalk. That pod formula you posted is what I want with the 16 teams each division would have 4 teams and they would alternate each year on a abcd clockwise rotation.

Edit, but I would like this system to be implemented ASAP if possible it will still work with 14 teams, and give each team in the SEC a diverse schedule each season.

Thanks and yes it would work. It is broken down on the link there. I am looking forward to the game against you guys and really like that we will have a cross rivalry with you at least for a few years until it gets shuffled up again.