CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
johnnyb
Gamecocks1137
ucan'tlickourcocks
Order 66
QCB
markp_vip
taylorssc
l^l^lBGCock
ChickenButt
Gamecocks321
No Comments on the H (1365)
Call of Duty: Advanc (433)
Freshman ND WR " (430)
Keeping tailgate foo (232)
Good Riddance to bad (228)
Vote For Cocky (204)
Things They Should H (196)
An A to Z of Noah We (119)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (25)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (11)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
NCAAF: OREGON @ CALIFORNI
NCAAF: BYU @ BOISE STATE
NCAAF: TEXAS @ KANSAS STA
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI STATE
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MICHIGA
NCAAF: WEST VIRGINIA @ OK
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr

Old 04-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re-Piping House Cost?

Long story short is that I had a pipe leak/break in the foundation and it has been determined (by 3 plumbers) that I need to do a complete re-pipe of the entire home. It has galvanized piping from many moons ago (built in 1951).

So far, I have got quotes all over the place.

One guy at $8800 (most knowledgeable and did complete walkthrough), one at $5300 (referred to me), and the first plumber out (sent by my warranty company) will do it for $5500 and knock off the $500 my warranty company will cover. However, they weren't as thorough as the rest and I feel they are taking advantage of me because of my home warranty (they don't think I am going after second opinions, etc).

Does this seem about right for a 3 bath home around 2800 sq ft? Obviously I have kitchen, hot water heater, and laundry as well.

All 3 plumbers have said they will use CPVC. I am awaiting ONE more quote from Delta Mechanical, one of the largest mechanical contractors in the nation. Due to that, I have read bad and good reviews online...but they are often the cheapest because they specialize in repiping...unlike your average plumber. They quoted me $5000 even online through e-mail...but I don't trust that, I want someone to show up.

I have had no water since Friday afternoon when the break started (and put over an inch of water on a quarter of my floor) and I'm ready to break.

Any experience with a full repiping job? If so, what did you pay?

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Shimano
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Shimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spurs
Default Re: Re-Piping House Cost?

Is your house on slab or crawl? Ask if price difference if pex is ran instead of cpvc
Shimano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Large contractors means very little. Cpvc is about right for Florida and the south east. It works and is proven, easy to install. Also ask about Pex. Similar qualities as PVC, installs quicker and has higher burst ratings than most anything else. It's flexible (comes on reels) so it should be ideal for rework like you need. It may not be acceptable for your local codes but just about all new residential work in upstate sc is moving in that direction. Pex takes a special connector and tooling to do it right but it's quick and very easy. Copper prices and installation costs are through the roof. With Pex, you have mostly all direct home runs and no couplings. For costs, they'll range all over the place depending on the work load of your contractors and their ability to handle the job. A total rework is a tough job. I guess you'll need drywall work as well after it's all done. Try Angie's list. Worth the subscription.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Slab. CPVC is same cost as PEX from Delta. Others will only do PEX.

I just can't believe the range of quotes we are getting. Also the knowledge and ability of each to make me feel comfortable varies a LOT.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
minnow11
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 11824
minnow11 is learning to peck

I am a contractor in charleston, well former contractor. I have a cabinet shop now but have done two of these in the past few years. Both if mine were two bath, kitchen, laundry, and two exterior hose bibs. On one I payed $10000 but I added a bath on that one the other was $6700 just water no drainage. I hope that helps and I got a good deal on both from subs I use on the regular. A good rule of thumb is $500-650 per fixture plus materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
minnow11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
minnow11
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 11824
minnow11 is learning to peck

That was all pex by thexway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
minnow11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Make sure they permit this. PEX should meet Florida codes as I see it sometimes on my home inspections, mostly new construction though. That being said, I don't care for it because it reminds me too much of Polybuteline.

I wouldn't be too happy with a quote from someone that didn't come by. Too much possibility for upcharges due to "Oh..that's a vaulted ceiling," or whatever.

You can always get more bids.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

is that just for the piping...or does it include any patching to walls, etc...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Slab. CPVC is same cost as PEX from Delta. Others will only do PEX.

I just can't believe the range of quotes we are getting. Also the knowledge and ability of each to make me feel comfortable varies a LOT.
Thats typical everywhere. Just saying. From electrical to HVAC, to remodeling, to plumbing, contractors vary price greatly.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Todescock
4-Star

Male

Todescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervous

My brother in law owns a plumbing business in central Florida, I know they serve Orlando and Ocala areas, but not sure about Tampa. I'll ask tomorrow if they do if you are interested. 5500 seems a bit high for a replumb to me though. Also, if you give a bit more info I can ask him what he would guestimate a replumb for you would cost/what a good price would be, would need to know how many sinks, showers, bathtubs, etc.

Last edited by Todescock; 04-28-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Todescock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Thats typical everywhere. Just saying. From electrical to HVAC, to remodeling, to plumbing, contractors vary price greatly.
Not so in commercial work. It is crazy on how a job valued at $5 million, the competing bids are within 3-5% of each other.

I see it all the time since I provide to the industry, so this is a weird shocker to me.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #12
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Not so in commercial work. It is crazy on how a job valued at $5 million, the competing bids are within 3-5% of each other.

I see it all the time since I provide to the industry, so this is a weird shocker to me.

It's all about the labor my friend. A small to medium job the prices will fluctuate more than the bigger jobs. You are dealing with millions, and those plumbers and carpenters aren't getting huge pay increases for the bigger jobs :). If that happened you would be paying 20 mil for the 5 mil job, and there would be a lot of retired workers by the age of 30.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Agreed. Commercial is almost commodity work these days. I'm almost all industrial with a little municipal/government when I really want no profit.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:

Well, in a 5MM job, they are going to go over the numbers with a fine tooth comb and take their time. With a bid on a house, you got one guy out there putting numbers together. His value is going to change based on his work load. If he is busy, he's going to bid higher.

Thinking about what I have heard repipes going for when I talk to realtors and such, I would expect it to cost somewhere 5-7K. Again, make sure they permit it. When you sell the house, and when you and the new buyers get insurance, the 4 point inspection that is needed will need the permit info. It makes it easier on them. Many repipes that are done are not done under permit.

And for those out there that are looking to buy a house, if you see galvanized plumbing, you might was well plan on replacing it. If you see a grey piping that doesn't have corners / joints, that's polybuteline and should be replaced as many insurance companies won't insure it.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
And for those out there that are looking to buy a house, if you see galvanized plumbing, you might was well plan on replacing it. If you see a grey piping that doesn't have corners / joints, that's polybuteline and should be replaced as many insurance companies won't insure it.
Absolutely, I wish I would have known and would have asked the sellers for compensation/consideration on it. The house had "Updated plumbing in 2009" listed and I didn't ask too many questions on it. Come to find out, the drain/sewage lines were replaced then...not the supply. Now, that is a really good upgrade as well...but I wish I had asked.

Now I am looking at $5k minimum out of pocket to get water back.

A repair would cost probably $2k once it was all done...with no guarantee I won't get another leak/burst. Actually, the guarantee is that it WILL happen again somewhere since all the galvanized pipe is same age.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Cola...

Though I have no input into the cost, I will give you my opinion. I finished out our basement about two years ago so this was a relatively small project compared to what you are going to undergo. We used PEX plumbing to do it and there is one thing that I wish I would have known then that I know now. On the sink in our wet bar, when the water initially comes out, it tastes like you are drinking from a water hose. If I let it run a little while it goes away, but it kind of sucks. If I could redo my basement, I would have run some other kind of plumbing to my sinks that I drink from and used the pex for the water lines to the other fixtures. I don't know if others have had that same kind of experience, but that is what I have found. Now I must say, I don't use the wetbar area very much...especially when it is not football season
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Cola...

Though I have no input into the cost, I will give you my opinion. I finished out our basement about two years ago so this was a relatively small project compared to what you are going to undergo. We used PEX plumbing to do it and there is one thing that I wish I would have known then that I know now. On the sink in our wet bar, when the water initially comes out, it tastes like you are drinking from a water hose. If I let it run a little while it goes away, but it kind of sucks. If I could redo my basement, I would have run some other kind of plumbing to my sinks that I drink from and used the pex for the water lines to the other fixtures. I don't know if others have had that same kind of experience, but that is what I have found. Now I must say, I don't use the wetbar area very much...especially when it is not football season
I'm glad you did mention that, because I have read that on a few other reviews across the internet...but wasn't sure if that was isolated incidents or what.

I talked to a plumber friend about that, and they told me it was likely because (since most PEX is ran in attics or warm spaces)...the cold water tends to get more lukewarm as it sits. Then once it gets going, it gets cooler and fresher. You would think that would apply to CPVC as well, I dunno?

Either way, I appreciate the input. We still haven't decided on whether we are going with PEX or CPVC. The contractor who does PEX hasn't called me back yet...and I am getting impatient. Or, I should say my woman is getting REALLY sick of not being able to soak in the bathtub in the evening.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Make sure they secure the pipes correctly and insulate them. I can't tell you how many times I see that.

Is the taste due to the PEX or the new piping?

You may want to have a loop and drain to allow installation of a water softner, FWIW

Oh, and reading over my post, let me be clear. Make sure the Plumber is state licensed and pulls proper permits for the job. Make sure you get lien releases too.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

Quote:

OK ok ok..i meant for smaller jobs such as this one...commercial jobs are completely different
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
Todescock
4-Star

Male

Todescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervousTodescock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todescock View Post
My brother in law owns a plumbing business in central Florida, I know they serve Orlando and Ocala areas, but not sure about Tampa. I'll ask tomorrow if they do if you are interested. 5500 seems a bit high for a replumb to me though. Also, if you give a bit more info I can ask him what he would guestimate a replumb for you would cost/what a good price would be, would need to know how many sinks, showers, bathtubs, etc.
Sent you a message, idk if you missed this but think I could help you out here.
Todescock is offline   Reply With Quote