CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Master Bedroom
b381l
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
SanAntonioCock
GamecockUltimate
sanford
Venables to TAMU? (3054)
Clemson fans (2134)
Vegas line moving on (2055)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (1851)
Phil Kronblut show (1155)
Arkansas... (862)
Women's Soccer Elite (847)
End of the aTm / LSU (840)
Have we been favored (647)
Anyone know what thi (627)
Clemson fans
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh
Place to watch in ATL?
Venables to TAMU?
Vegas line moving on game
Constant Updates on Watso
Turkey Day NFL games
Arkansas...
Morris to SMU

Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 700
Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly
Default Pankake

I saw some pretty critical comments RE: Pankake yesterday in the game thread, particularly that he doesn't show up to play in SEC games. I thought he had had a pretty good season thus far, so I went back and checked his stats. If I added up everything right, he's batting .284 in SEC play with 8 walks to go along with 27 combined runs/RBI.

Coming into the Auburn series, which was about the time he injured his hamstring, he was batting .356 in SEC play with 7 walks and 24 runs/RBI (which includes going 14 for 36, .389, against Florida, Ole Miss and Kentucky). His only bad weekend during the first five series was against Arkansas, in which he went 1 for 10 (although he didn't fare any worse than the rest of the team, which managed 3 runs all weekend). Since the injury, he has been a combined 2 for 22 against Auburn and 'Bama, but I would imagine that a bad hamstring can alter a batter's swing pretty substantially.

Anyway, it seems interesting that Pankake always seems to be "that guy" who can be a lightning rod when things aren't running perfectly smoothly for the team. He's certainly not perfect at the plate, but it seems like there has been plenty of blame to go around when the team has slumped offensively.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Pankake

Pretty obvious he is banged up right now. Taking that ball off his foot didn't help either.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

I thought he looked like a natural in left field, played very comfortable and smooth. See that play off the wall ?, made a great throw.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph/JDCock View Post
I saw some pretty critical comments RE: Pankake yesterday in the game thread, particularly that he doesn't show up to play in SEC games. I thought he had had a pretty good season thus far, so I went back and checked his stats. If I added up everything right, he's batting .284 in SEC play with 8 walks to go along with 27 combined runs/RBI.

Coming into the Auburn series, which was about the time he injured his hamstring, he was batting .356 in SEC play with 7 walks and 24 runs/RBI (which includes going 14 for 36, .389, against Florida, Ole Miss and Kentucky). His only bad weekend during the first five series was against Arkansas, in which he went 1 for 10 (although he didn't fare any worse than the rest of the team, which managed 3 runs all weekend). Since the injury, he has been a combined 2 for 22 against Auburn and 'Bama, but I would imagine that a bad hamstring can alter a batter's swing pretty substantially.

Anyway, it seems interesting that Pankake always seems to be "that guy" who can be a lightning rod when things aren't running perfectly smoothly for the team. He's certainly not perfect at the plate, but it seems like there has been plenty of blame to go around when the team has slumped offensively.
He always gets my blame on fielding, like i think when healthy he needs to be in left but i dont bash him on here, he is important to our success and definitely key at the plate

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

In pressure situations, Pankake has not delivered for the most part in his career here. Is he a good player? Of course, but when we have runners in scoring position, and when we need a big hit, I really hope to see Greiner, Martin, or even Cone up there in that situation.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

For Joey's well-being, I sincerely hope he isn't too sensitive because you're right, Ph/JDC. Truth is, if we can ever get healthy again, JP 's the one I wanna see in the box when it's time to kick a little ass & take a few names.

Guess we do use him as our lightening rod, but we also know he's our maple syrup.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

If Holbrook has faith in him...I have faith in him.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

He is playing fine, but he is not playing like the All-American he was hyped to be. And when he starts slumping when need him to step up most fans are going to grumble. It's not like he is the only player getting grumbles.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I'm one of those people who complain about him a lot. Make no mistake about it, he's one of the top 2-3 players on the team. But there's a reason why he get's singled out more often than others. It's because most of us see the same thing when he struggles. I still support him though and want him to succeed.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

I would just like to see him moved out of the 3 spot. I liked Greiner in the 3 hole, and Pankake batting 6th or so.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

FlapJack takes heat because he was highly touted even before he set foot on campus. He still makes some funky throws and still swings at garbage. Sometimes at the most inopportune times.
There is no doubt in my mind, that come hell or high water, Cake is in my starting lineup every game. The dude just carries more pressure on him, always has. It's a bit unfair, but like some of my esteemed Cock Talkers, he's not my first choice when shits deep. Not that I don't won't him to be, just that in 3 years he hasn't carved out that kind of niche.
I think all of us would just as soon see him go ape shit and take us where we wanna be. And that's totin the hardware back down Main Street !

Go Joey Pankake...................Go Cocks !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
In pressure situations, Pankake has not delivered for the most part in his career here. Is he a good player? Of course, but when we have runners in scoring position, and when we need a big hit, I really hope to see Greiner, Martin, or even Cone up there in that situation.
Even Cone? Someone's drinking the cool-aid.

Does anyone remember Kyle Martin before this year? He couldnt get on the field. How about Greiner? I remember a LOT of people on here used to call him "Streiker" because he couldn't hit ANYTHING off speed.

The real truth of it is: most everyone who talks the loudest on here has an incredibly short memory. It's "What have you don't for me lately" all over the Sarge. Pankake has been elite since he got here. He may not belong in the same conversation as JBJ or Christain Walker, but he's definitely in the next category.

He is easily the best pure hitter on the team. He has power to all fields, sprays the ball relatively evenly, and makes good contact. Greiner has been a LOT more clutch this year, but this is he first year he has had a truly superlative hitting season.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post

Does anyone remember Kyle Martin before this year? He couldnt get on the field. How about Greiner? I remember a LOT of people on here used to call him "Streiker" because he couldn't hit ANYTHING off speed.

The real truth of it is: most everyone who talks the loudest on here has an incredibly short memory. It's "What have you don't for me lately" all over the Sarge. Pankake has been elite since he got here. He may not belong in the same conversation as JBJ or Christain Walker, but he's definitely in the next category.

He is easily the best pure hitter on the team. He has power to all fields, sprays the ball relatively evenly, and makes good contact. Greiner has been a LOT more clutch this year, but this is he first year he has had a truly superlative hitting season.
This
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #14
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm hangin with Dub on this one.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

What have you done for me lately is the way the world is. He was named an All-American, so either blame the people the who decided to honor him in such a way, blame Joey for not backing up to those expectations up with his play, or blame injuries, and move on.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #16
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Dude ! You make me wanna scream.............
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

I agreed until you said he is the best pure hitter on the team. I would say Schrock is. Wish he would make it back.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 AM   #18
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:

I agree he is the best pure hitter on the team, but his fielding leaves a lot to be desired. This year has been better with him at third and left though

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #19
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

What has Cone done in the past 2 series... @Auburn. 9th inning RBI double down the RF line to tie the game, and Carolina won (broke the 5 game losing streak. Alabama(Friday).... 3 RBI Triple down the RF line to put Carolina up 6-2. Alabama(Sunday)... 2 out (2 strike) single that scored 2 runs that put Carolina up 5-3. He did all of that in the past 8 days.. Kool-Aid? I think not.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #20
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
What has Cone done in the past 2 series... @Auburn. 9th inning RBI double down the RF line to tie the game, and Carolina won (broke the 5 game losing streak. Alabama(Friday).... 3 RBI Triple down the RF line to put Carolina up 6-2. Alabama(Sunday)... 2 out (2 strike) single that scored 2 runs that put Carolina up 5-3. He did all of that in the past 8 days.. Kool-Aid? I think not.
Okay and Pankake has not had a good a stretch like that numerous times? It's true, it's a very "what have you don for me lately attitude," which is reasonable but only to a point. Cone wasn't doing anything before Auburn and he will probably be cold again soon and Pankake will heat up again at some point and make big plays for him. Even if he is not All-American caliber we still need him. And we talking all year about Martin's hair and beard causing him to slump. The team bought a bunny and they started playing better. Baseball is a game of streaks. You always have to keep that in mind eventhough the fans generally don't have the patience to wait for the slumps to end.