CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
smoovecock
usc1
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
robgusc76
Gamecockfanatic4
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (841)
Spurrier vs Saban (770)
Kansas to invest $75 (745)
When does fall pract (721)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (265)
An Air Algerie Fligh (264)
Anyone Switching to (253)
Expect A Healthy Dos (229)
Darth Vader 'Vette (182)
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 - Amonte Caban
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Places to eat in Conway?
Spurrier vs Saban
Another A&M aggie off
Coach's media golf press
Gamecock Showcase Attende
college football match up

Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #41
petecock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
petecock has feathers coming inpetecock has feathers coming inpetecock has feathers coming in
Default Re: Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago...
What discipline do you teach, and to what grade?

Quote:
...whats it like having a legendary coach at the helm?
Spurrier is creating his legend here as he goes. We don't believe in ghosts.

Quote:
...Whats the impression of head ball coach?
He is Southern gentility and a man's man. Quick and terse. The players and the game are important to him. He cares.

Quote:
....What's it been like over the past few years having program changing players like Clowney, Lattimore, and to some extent Jeffrey...?
Almost as much fun as watching Connor Shaw develop.

Quote:
Where do you see the program headed and what needs to happen for you to get over the last hump and win a National Championship?
A winning tradition has a lot to do with attitude and expectation. We are creating it now. What needs to happen next is realization of it.

Quote:
...since Holtz left...
As a personal fan of Lou Holtz, I appreciate what he continues to bring to this program, attracting talent and fervor, opening the door for a more apt believer, Coach Spurrier
petecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #42
magoo
Walk On

Male

magoo has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds401 View Post
My husband and I moved to Columbia 4 years ago. I grew up in Chgo./Gladstone Park and Skokie, then Cleveland. I remember when we were looking for a house here in the city of Columbia near campus EVERY home in the 400k range had a garnet colored room. You see these were not 'college' rented homes. These were GAMECOCK FAN'S homes. Honestly I thght. who the heck paints their living rms Garnet. In Cleveland and Chgo. we did not paint our walls orange and blue nor orange and brown. Now I understand. I go to football, baseball, and both men and women basketball games.

COACH SPURRIER
He definately knows the game. He says it like it is which I appreciate.

FOOTBALL GAME ATTIRE- Ladies- black sundress and pearls I heard. I thght. my husband was setting me up. At Pro football games we wear parkas, pants, team sweatshirt or team color sweater, hat scarf, ect. b/c it is COLD!

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE- Do NOT schedule ANYTHING not even death during a game! The Phil Harmonic Orchestra schedules their concerts around the football games. If u schedule something during a SEC football game, you will have a low turnout.

THANKSGIVING It is GAMECOCKS vs Clemson. DO not expect me to go back home during this holiday. Do not expect me to entertain u if u visit us on that gameday unless u want to WATCH the game with me.

BOWL games- remember when the Cleveland Browns fans drove on the school buses to Baltimore to get the Browns name back ??? Well, SEC fans will go to that Bowl game no matter what the name is. That is THEIR TEAM. THEIR BLOOD. SEC teams rule.

RELIGION Base
YES Football is a religion in the SEC. EVERY Saturday during football season is gameday and tailgating. During off and during the season it is recruiting.

We have been in Columbia for 4 years now. Our football tickets were renewed last month. They are on my husband calendar so no business trips are planned.

When u come in for a game, wear Garnet and Black.

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!
Sorry it's about a month late on the reply, but I grew up in Norwood Park, went to St. Tars (Milwaukee & Ardmore). Small world. So cool you've adapted to the lifestyle. What been the biggest adjustment moving down? (though it sounds like you're fully a part of, which is awesome)
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #43
magoo
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecock View Post
What discipline do you teach, and to what grade?

Spurrier is creating his legend here as he goes. We don't believe in ghosts.

He is Southern gentility and a man's man. Quick and terse. The players and the game are important to him. He cares.

Almost as much fun as watching Connor Shaw develop.

A winning tradition has a lot to do with attitude and expectation. We are creating it now. What needs to happen next is realization of it.

As a personal fan of Lou Holtz, I appreciate what he continues to bring to this program, attracting talent and fervor, opening the door for a more apt believer, Coach Spurrier
Hey Pete,

I teach Title I (which is a resource teacher working with small groups of struggling students every grade K-8 in reading and math), but when I get back I want to teach HS English (my degrees are in English, and Sec. Ed English).

I think your comment about not believing in ghosts is fascinating. I wonder if it's because SC is currently in their 'golden age' as the ESPN commentators noted during your spring game, meaning that (depending on your POV) you either don't have a strong winning tradition or that your glory days aren't behind you.

I feel like a lot of people I've talked to (fans of other schools) have a reverence for their ghosts.

What do you think?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #44
magoo
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
No SEC fanhood book would be complete without talking about fans who didn't attend that school, and why they are fans. I went to Coastal Carolina, even played ball there, but my dad went to USC, and many of my friends are USC fans who didn't go there. Why?

There is a strong history in the South of loving college football for many reasons, and one big one has been the lack of NFL football for so long.

In SC, I grew up as a kid before the Panthers existed, and the Falcons weren't very good. I have a couple brothers who are a good bit older than me, and they grew up when the South basically had the Falcons and Saints both of whom were awful, and the Dolphins way down in Miami. The Panthers, Jaguars, Titans didn't exist mostly, and the Bucs were a new team that was awful too. The Redskins had a big presence down here in NC and SC, just by default. I recall a lot of older guys here who are either fans of the Redskins or Dolphins...because growing up, those were the closet NFL teams with a .500 record that was worth watching.

But the teams at Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, etc, were very good, and their stadiums just as big and loud and fun.

More a lot of SEC fans, the SEC is our own version of the NFL. And in my opinion, so much better, because so many players are local in-state guys, people who are known in the communities in the state or families who are friends with our families. A much more local connection.
What's interesting to me, and something I want to explore, is the relationship between alums and non-alums in the fan base. In most settings, the non-alums have a pejorative term attached to them (t-shirt fans, sidewalk fans, or my favorite as a ND fan, Walmart Wolverines). Are there certain fan bases where the two co-mingle well and others where they're distinctly separate subsets? Do certain fan bases get a bad rep because of the heavy non-grad population (LSU and Bama come to mind here). For sure interesting questions and ones I can relate to as a non-ND grad (went to Marquette).
Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #45
magoo
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
Do you have access to a Cock-a-boose? If not inbox me as the time gets closer and I'll get you an in. You at least need a tour of one to get the extremes we go to tailgate.
I don't have access and recently found out about them. Would love to take you up on that!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #46
magoo
Walk On

Male

Okay so it's been a few weeks and I've been at work. This process is so much fun for me, but it's hard to start and keep all the plates spinning at once.

For starters, I have a 5th and final draft of the schedule that allows me to see every SEC team in person (even if for an away game) and hit the majority of rivalry games I want to see. (The two main games I want to see but end up missing are Georgia/SC and Auburn/Georgia...and obviously Nov 29th has every game under the sun but I have to go to the Iron Bowl). No bye weeks; no rest for the wicked I suppose. The schedule is as follows:

8/28 aTm @ SC
8/30 Clemson @ UGA
9/6 Ole Miss @ Vandy
9/13 UK @ UF
9/20 UF @ Bama
9/27 Mizzou @ SC
10/4 LSU @ Auburn
10/11 LSU @ UF
10/18 Tenn @ Ole Miss
10/25 Bama @ Tenn
11/1 WLOCP
11/8 Bama @ LSU
11/15 Miss St @ Bama
11/22 Ole Miss @ Arky
11/27 LSU @ aTm
11/29 Iron Bowl
12/6 Atlanta

I've finished the 2nd draft of my Pub. Grant Propoal. I'm going to list the team-specific inquiries I have for SC. Let me know if I'm missing any key questions:

South Carolina
• How does the long and contentious history in the ACC (Athletic Coast Conference) affect the overall story of South Carolina football?
• How far back does the Clemson rivalry stretch and what makes it more heated than any other despite the fact that SC and Clemson are in different conferences?
• What has the transition to the SEC been like since 1991 and what heated rivalries have developed?
• What does the ACC history do to the level of SEC allegiance? For instance, do South Carolina fans root for other SEC teams against non-SEC competition? Is there a layer of allegiance and loyalty to the SEC that goes beyond most SEC schools due to their tumultuous conference history?
• As a school in the middle of their Golden Age, what are the expectations? Does a history of mediocrity keep the fan base more tempered in terms of what constitutes a successful season through this successful period?
• What does current Head Coach Steve Spurrier mean to the program and the fans and where does this team on the rise go from here?
• How does having the #1 pick in this years NFL Draft impact the program?

Finally, my friend in publishing in NY told me I need to develop a 'social media presence' So I'm trying to get twitter up and moving. Once I get over a thousand followers, I'll write a handful of SEC related articles (2013: Year of the QB and 2014: Year of the RB? being the first two) to generate interest and a following, etc.

If you guys are still reading, could you do me a huge favor and throw me a follow on twitter: @jmmarch2
Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #47
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Every stadium has their magic, and I feel you should get all 14 teams stadiums in there to get the whole picture.

Big rivalries are
BAMA vs AU
AU vs UGA
Ole Miss vs MSST
BAMA vs UT
UF vs UGA

Not a known rival, but USC vs UGA is a great game.

I'm going to get you up a list to go for, and see how you like it. I'm at work so will do this on break.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #48
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

What role does family lineage play in shaping this

The south had no NFL teams for the most part of the 20th century. Even in the 50's there was only one pro game per week on TV and SC was in the Redskins loop. So, for football, college was it. Since there were, primarily, two "major" college football programs in the state, you had to choose one to support.

Then, when you got married and had some kids, as soon as they could walk, they would be dressed in either orange/purple or garnet/black and their lifelong indoctrination would begin.

You can layer on the rest from here.

The same is true for virtually all of the Southern States.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #49
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Here is a link to a blog post (The Transparency Incident of 1902) I wrote a while back about the origins of the Clemson rivalry. This post links to another about Clemson's founding father, the notorious racist, Pitchfork Ben Tillman. If you can muddle through those posts, you will get an inkling about why Carolina's bitter rivalry with Clemson surpasses all other rivalries (including Auburn Alabama).

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #50
militarymind17
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
militarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his comb

I'm ride or die Gamecock now!!!!!! Getting to know the players, and coaches, and families of other players, and the Gamecock Nation in general is an AWESOME experience. There's no other conference like the SEC!
militarymind17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #51
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

I did all the math, and I think this is the best I can get for you. I had to say the IRON BOWL was a must game.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is the half lackluster schedule

Aug. 28-TAMU at USC
-Great first game for the season.

Sept. 6-Ole Miss at Vandy
-Not great overall, but both teams should be near each other in talent, give the edge to Ole Miss

Sept. 13-UK at UF
-Meh UF should beat UK

Sept. 20-MSST at LSU
-Another meh MSST should fold to LSU

Sept. 27-UT at UGA
-Another game that is in a good favor of one team. UGA should take it.

Oct. 4-USC at UK
-Home team at a huge disadvantage

Oct. 11-BAMA at Arky
-see previous week

Oct. 18-UT at Ole Miss
-Good game matchup

Oct. 25-Vandy at Mizzou
-Might be a good game

Nov. 1-Arky at MSST
-Should be a good matchup

Nov. 8-TAMU at AU
-Another good matchup

Nov. 15-Mizzou at TAMU
-Might be a good game

Nov. 22-Mizzou at UT
-Sorry for the back to back games with the same team.

Nov. 29-AU at BAMA
-Probably best SEC game there is historically.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a way to get to every stadium in the SEC in one year, most games would be good, but there is a lack of high end games in the schedule imo. No LSU vs BAMA, or UGA vs USC/AU/UF.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote