CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
Spurticus
2000grad
GH
75CarolinaFan
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
JoeMorrisonLives
Rooster'srule
garnet_black215
Welcome to Moe's (629)
Jay Paterno Attempts (578)
help with army insig (266)
Hercules - review (263)
I'm a grand godfathe (144)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (58)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (55)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (38)
George Miller revisi (38)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (23)
So what do you do with 18
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 Commitment - Paris P
2015 - Albert Huggins
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE Texa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Davon Durant
Help Give Cocky a Home
Official WWE Thread

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #181
Bobby Boucher
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly
Default Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Kobe calls a ref a faggot during a game on national tv (I witnessed this during its initial broadcast) and he gets a small fine.

Donald Sterling tells his "girlfriend" in a private conversation that he loves black people but wonders why she has to only bring them to games with her but not any white guys or hispanic guys and he is banned from the league, fined $2.5 million, and has a commissioner trying to take his property away from him.

I've always wondered what living at the end of an empire was like. Guess I know now.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #182
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

A. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
What this nation is doing to privacy and property rights in the name of becoming pc and making sure no one is offended is truly horrible. Adam Silver got caught up in the mob and had a flat-out stupid response in the moment. He's put his neck out there and someone else is going to say or do something ignorant and then he'll hang himself with his own hypocrisy.

No, he won't.

If the uproar is great enough when the hypothetical you mention occurs, so much so that the NBA bottom line is affected- then the NBA will act.

If the bottom line is not affected, then the NBA will not act.

THIS IS A BUSINESS, PEOPLE.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #183
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

A. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudly

Quote:
Kobe calls a ref a faggot during a game on national tv (I witnessed this during its initial broadcast) and he gets a small fine.

Donald Sterling tells his "girlfriend" in a private conversation that he loves black people but wonders why she has to only bring them to games with her but not any white guys or hispanic guys and he is banned from the league, fined $2.5 million, and has a commissioner trying to take his property away from him.

I've always wondered what living at the end of an empire was like. Guess I know now.

Wow...well done on obviously mischaracterizing what Sterling said. That was some blatant BSin on your part.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #184
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
What this nation is doing to privacy and property rights in the name of becoming pc and making sure no one is offended is truly horrible. Adam Silver got caught up in the mob and had a flat-out stupid response in the moment. He's put his neck out there and someone else is going to say or do something ignorant and then he'll hang himself with his own hypocrisy.
For the millionth time this is not about Sterling's comments. It's about his history. The NBA has hated sterling for years. This was just what they needed to finally do it. Check sterling's miserable history. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. The decision wasn't over the top given his history.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #185
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Please stop arguing California law and whether it is admissible. That's irrelevant. When Silver stated that Sterling admitted it, there is no need for evidence. Again this isn't about the racism. It's about Sterling's history and this was the last straw - with evidence he has allegedly confessed to.
Yeah great. One problem. Sterling doesn't give a crap about any of that. He's going to sue, and when this is in court it's not going to matter if he admits it was him in the recordings because they were illegally obtained. He may be out, but he isn't going down cheaply.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #186
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

I'm just going to go ahead and interpret everyone who is justifying or implicitly rooting for Sterling are unashamed racists.

This whole thread wreaks of Southern stereotypes.

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS.

(And no- I'm not going to leave. I'd rather call out the closet bigots for their blatant defense of racism)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #187
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Yeah great. One problem. Sterling doesn't give a crap about any of that. He's going to sue, and when this is in court it's not going to matter if he admits it was him in the recordings because they were illegally obtained. He may be out, but he isn't going down cheaply.
It's too late to argue whether it's admissible. The point of evidence is for proof of whether something was done. He already he admitted he said it. The evidence doesn't matter now. He should have kept his mouth shut and remained silent. No need to argue evidence when you admitted the evidence is true.

Therefore what's the court case for? Only thing is whether the NBA had the right to ban him and that's an arbitration decision.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #188
Bobby Boucher
Recruit

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
You're intentionally blind to the differences between black and white.

Here's a hint: history matters.
Oh, you don't have "white history month" or a "White Times" in Columbia? Cry me a ****in river you big baby. For you to compare the plight of the black man to the white man shows how ignorant you are

Also- history lesson for you; "whiteness" is an exclusionary concept. For many years, Italians weren't considered white. Jews weren't considered white. Irish weren't considered white. It's because being "white" is meant to exclude- always has, which is why the concept is constantly evolving. So to "celebrate being white" would be the same as celebrating being exclusionary. Want to celebrate being scotch-Irish? Have at it! I'd bet no one would throw a fit if you were to celebrate your specific ancestry. It's the whole celebrating exclusion that will get you on people's bad side.

But, please- tell me more about how bad the white man has it.
I have Irish ancestry. Look up what the English did to my ancestors.
I have German ancestry. Look up what the Romans did to my ancestors.

You have a race card. I don't. You can call me a honky or cracker and nothing happens to you. I call you a five or six letter word and that's game over for me.

You must be so blissful in your ignorance.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #189
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Therefore we should tolerate people in power treating others as less than human? Because the victim can control how they let the actions and words of another in position of authority over them affect them?

Give me a ****in break.

The implicit justification of racism in this thread that is veiled behind a weak ass argument of charges of a double standard are disgusting, and I'm embarrassed that some of you might have attended my alma mater. Pathetic.
Was he treating people as less than human or he did he just not want his girlfriend to associate with certain people? That makes those certain people victims? That is not a victim. So you are going to do what now? Treat him like he is less than human? And the law only says you can't discriminate against people in certain situations. It doesn't say you can't have racist feelings like so many people of all races have toward one another. Yes racists should be able to have a position of power to employee people who agree to work for them. Racists are people too with families and mouths to feed. I certainly think racism is bad, but why is not illegal to be racist and say racist things if it is that terrible for society as some people want to believe? Are we really trying to go the way of mind control? Are we going to that far to "stamp out" racism because we don't like it?

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 04-30-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #190
Ahmad
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 356
Ahmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudly

Quote:
I have Irish ancestry. Look up what the English did to my ancestors.
I have German ancestry. Look up what the Romans did to my ancestors.

You have a race card. I don't. You can call me a honky or cracker and nothing happens to you. I call you a five or six letter word and that's game over for me.

You must be so blissful in your ignorance.
Sir do you have a resentment towards african-americans?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #191
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
It's too late to argue whether it's admissible. The point of evidence is for proof of whether something was done. He already he admitted he said it. The evidence doesn't matter now. He should have kept his mouth shut and remained silent. No need to argue evidence when you admitted the evidence is true.

Therefore what's the court case for? Only thing is whether the NBA had the right to ban him and that's an arbitration decision.
You really don't get it. When Mr. Sterling sues the NBA the NBA can't use this in the case to defend itself. Yeah, they give all this spiel about he has shown a pattern of behavior over years, but they allowed him to continue for several years after than when they could have done something then, so it must not have been so bad. So when the question arises, "What prompted you to finally do something about this now?" What is Silver going to say? Well there were these TMZ tapes... What TMZ? The ones from the girlfriend... Oh, the ones that were obtained illegally and therefore inadmissible?" Uh, yeah. Well that doesn't help you here. What other reason? Well that was all. Judge: I find for the Plaintiff.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #192
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm just going to go ahead and interpret everyone who is justifying or implicitly rooting for Sterling are unashamed racists.

This whole thread wreaks of Southern stereotypes.

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS.

(And no- I'm not going to leave. I'd rather call out the closet bigots for their blatant defense of racism)

Hey, the black man is still here and reppin' hard.

MY people the Cherokee have no voice and as for the rest of the native tribes...well, I guess someone saying "I dont like the black man" is just a terrible, terrible tragedy that mass genocide is irrelevant.

The black man has it pretty damn good. Bunch of people in D.C. with white guilt giving them stuff everyday.

retard.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #193
wiltm
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1250
wiltm has feathers coming inwiltm has feathers coming inwiltm has feathers coming in

What about the fact that he admitted to saying these things are you not understanding? It makes not a wit of difference whether those tapes were legally or illegally obtained. He is now on record, of his own accord, admitting to being an unabashed racist.

As an aside, Bomani Jones blows the whole notion that we should be shocked at Sterling's comments out of the friggin' water. If you care to inform yourself, you can find that over on Deadspin. For YEARS, he has been a prejudiced, discriminating scum bag. His latest comments are merely the smoking gun that rattled the general public enough to give a damn.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #194
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 317
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Well I hope is girlfriend doesn't get shit. She wasn't doing this as if it for some sense nobility
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 AM   #195
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltm View Post
What about the fact that he admitted to saying these things are you not understanding? It makes not a wit of difference whether those tapes were legally or illegally obtained. He is now on record, of his own accord, admitting to being an unabashed racist.

As an aside, Bomani Jones blows the whole notion that we should be shocked at Sterling's comments out of the friggin' water. If you care to inform yourself, you can find that over on Deadspin. For YEARS, he has been a prejudiced, discriminating scum bag. His latest comments are merely the smoking gun that rattled the general public enough to give a damn.

Because Sterling admitting it was him means absolutely nothing to a court! Was he under oath when he admitted it was him? If the evidence is inadmissible this what he has admitted to "................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................." Because the jury never hears it because it not part of evidence, BECAUSE IT'S NOT ALLOWED IN! That is what inadmissible means!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #196
wiltm
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1250
wiltm has feathers coming inwiltm has feathers coming inwiltm has feathers coming in

Nice meme usage, my man. I should have been more clear. I understand that per California law, that tape can not be used in court and his previous admission is wiped clean. What I meant is that the NBA doesn't need that tape or his admission at all. Per an article posted tonight from SI,

"Sterling is also disadvantaged in challenging the suspension and fine because of how a court would treat such a challenge. A court would review Silver's decision under the deferential "arbitrary and capricious" standard of review. This standard would essentially require Sterling prove that the NBA -- and specifically Silver, acting as the NBA's ultimate arbiter -- failed to follow its own rules in how it investigated Sterling and punished him. For instance, if the NBA failed to authenticate the recording, concealed evidence or not requested a meeting with Sterling, Sterling might have sufficient grounds. Silver's remarks during the press conference, however, suggest all relevant rules and policies were followed. Absent Sterling proving there was a procedural defect of serious importance, Sterling likely has no viable appeal to either the fine or suspension."

Because Silver (allegedly) has done his due diligence in vetting this story and gaining admission from Sterling that it was indeed his voice before punishment was meted out, Donald has little to no grounds for a legal fight.

So yes, that tape can not be used against him in a court of law. Fortunately, it doesn't matter one bit.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #197
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:

Kobe was fined $100,000 for that. Hardly a "small fine". Sterling has a history of racism, whether it was segregating the housing complexes he owned and refusing to do maintenance work on black tenants apartments or heckling the black players on the Clippers during the games and calling them monkeys.

Dear god you are a stupid person.

^required reading in the South
Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #198
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltm View Post
Nice meme usage, my man. I should have been more clear. I understand that per California law, that tape can not be used in court and his previous admission is wiped clean. What I meant is that the NBA doesn't need that tape or his admission at all. Per an article posted tonight from SI,

"Sterling is also disadvantaged in challenging the suspension and fine because of how a court would treat such a challenge. A court would review Silver's decision under the deferential "arbitrary and capricious" standard of review. This standard would essentially require Sterling prove that the NBA -- and specifically Silver, acting as the NBA's ultimate arbiter -- failed to follow its own rules in how it investigated Sterling and punished him. For instance, if the NBA failed to authenticate the recording, concealed evidence or not requested a meeting with Sterling, Sterling might have sufficient grounds. Silver's remarks during the press conference, however, suggest all relevant rules and policies were followed. Absent Sterling proving there was a procedural defect of serious importance, Sterling likely has no viable appeal to either the fine or suspension."

Because Silver (allegedly) has done his due diligence in vetting this story and gaining admission from Sterling that it was indeed his voice before punishment was meted out, Donald has little to no grounds for a legal fight.

So yes, that tape can not be used against him in a court of law. Fortunately, it doesn't matter one bit.

That is interesting, however "arbitrary and capricious" is the standard of review for appeal. This not going to be just an an appeal of the arbitration. He is likely going to file an tort claim against the NBA and that has it's own standard. Because that is something that can't be arbitrated the standard for that will be de novo.
There is a cause of action that doesn't get a lot of pub. It's something called "Tortious Interference with Business Relationships." Something a learned from from working for a Jewish Lawyer for a while ironically. So yes, it is going to matter in that.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #199
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post

Because Sterling admitting it was him means absolutely nothing to a court! Was he under oath when he admitted it was him? If the evidence is inadmissible this what he has admitted to "................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................." Because the jury never hears it because it not part of evidence, BECAUSE IT'S NOT ALLOWED IN! That is what inadmissible means!
How many times do people have to explain to you that what the NBA did here has no bearing on a lawsuit before you get it? He violated the NBA's rules on conduct and was punished for it. He agreed to these rules when he bought the team. You are either being intentionally obtuse or have severe learning difficulties if you don't understand this by now.

^required reading in the South
Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 AM   #200
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
How many times do people have to explain to you that what the NBA did here has no bearing on a lawsuit before you get it? He violated the NBA's rules on conduct and was punished for it. He agreed to these rules when he bought the team. You are either being intentionally obtuse or have severe learning difficulties if you don't understand this by now.
ONE CAN NOT CONTRACT AWAY THEIR RIGHT TO SUE FOR TORTS. It's a CONSTITUTIONAL right. Arbitration is grounded in contract law, an arbitration clause can only be enforced on claims grounded in contract, NOT TORTS. What he agreed to when he bought the team does not matter in a tort case.
Closed Thread