CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockMomSC
2000grad
markymark550
Regalcock
ZenUSC
We Have to Pass (2162)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1587)
Spurrier weekly pres (1445)
This would be awesom (953)
How is Shaq Davidson (774)
McConaughey cast as (541)
Perspective on our g (516)
SEC referees? (368)
Defense and offense (356)
Currently 2nd in att (333)
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Currently 2nd in attendan
Interesting stat
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Why has there been 40 yea
We Have to Pass
SEC referees?
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 AM   #201
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material
Default Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
ONE CAN NOT CONTRACT AWAY THEIR RIGHT TO SUE FOR TORTS. It's a CONSTITUTIONAL right. Arbitration is grounded in contract law, an arbitration clause can only be enforced on claims grounded in contract, NOT TORTS. What he agreed to when he bought the team does not matter in a tort case.
Ah, so you are not being intentionally obtuse, you are just mentally challenged.

^required reading in the South
Old 04-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #202
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
Ah, so you are not being intentionally obtuse, you are just mentally challenged.
I know what the **** I am talking about, you just don't want to listen or have the education to understand. So then just do yourself a favor and just don't listen if you don't want to learn something.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 AM   #203
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

New Supersonics
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #204
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Was he treating people as less than human or he did he just not want his girlfriend to associate with certain people? That makes those certain people victims? That is not a victim. So you are going to do what now? Treat him like he is less than human? And the law only says you can't discriminate against people in certain situations. It doesn't say you can't have racist feelings like so many people of all races have toward one another. Yes racists should be able to have a position of power to employee people who agree to work for them. Racists are people too with families and mouths to feed. I certainly think racism is bad, but why is not illegal to be racist and say racist things if it is that terrible for society as some people want to believe? Are we really trying to go the way of mind control? Are we going to that far to "stamp out" racism because we don't like it?

Educate yourself. As has been mentioned in this thread, Sterling has a HISTORY that the NBA was well aware of. This incident was just the physical evidence they needed to do something

Hell, Baron Davis was on a radio how last week, before this incident became public, detailing how Sterling treated him as less than human. Look it up.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #205
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Hey, the black man is still here and reppin' hard.

MY people the Cherokee have no voice and as for the rest of the native tribes...well, I guess someone saying "I dont like the black man" is just a terrible, terrible tragedy that mass genocide is irrelevant.

The black man has it pretty damn good. Bunch of people in D.C. with white guilt giving them stuff everyday.

retard.

Well this post is just a gem. You play your own violin and then finish it off with an offensive term. Well done.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #206
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
I have Irish ancestry. Look up what the English did to my ancestors.
I have German ancestry. Look up what the Romans did to my ancestors.

You have a race card. I don't. You can call me a honky or cracker and nothing happens to you. I call you a five or six letter word and that's game over for me.

You must be so blissful in your ignorance.

Psst...I'm not black.

I'm just also not a racist.

Oh, and this is not me having "white guilt" (before you try and go there)

I have scotch-Irish ancestry: probably the most discriminated against "white" heritage in the US (you know, those dumb rednecks) but you don't hear me whining about it.

Man up.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #207
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You really don't get it. When Mr. Sterling sues the NBA the NBA can't use this in the case to defend itself. Yeah, they give all this spiel about he has shown a pattern of behavior over years, but they allowed him to continue for several years after than when they could have done something then, so it must not have been so bad. So when the question arises, "What prompted you to finally do something about this now?" What is Silver going to say? Well there were these TMZ tapes... What TMZ? The ones from the girlfriend... Oh, the ones that were obtained illegally and therefore inadmissible?" Uh, yeah. Well that doesn't help you here. What other reason? Well that was all. Judge: I find for the Plaintiff.
How about the answer: "Mr. Sterling admitted to saying offensive remarks which are against the code of conduct laid out in our bylaws. This resulted in multiple sponsorship cancellations and a potential workforce stoppage dependent on his removal. We were able to move forward because he admitted doing this in an official investigation by the NBA and he was aware we were recording him and agreed to be recorded during the investigation."

Voila, Sterling's own words. Now could he still sue? Sure, you can sue for anything. But you are so adamant he is going to and I am not even sure if he is interested in that. Better to get out of town and live the rest of your life in relative peace. We will see soon how he chooses to proceed.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #208
taylorssc
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
How many times do people have to explain to you that what the NBA did here has no bearing on a lawsuit before you get it? He violated the NBA's rules on conduct and was punished for it. He agreed to these rules when he bought the team. You are either being intentionally obtuse or have severe learning difficulties if you don't understand this by now.
There are no conduct rules for owners. The NBA is violating their own Constitution by forcing him out due to behavior.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #209
Big-Cock
Banned

Male

Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
but what does that have to do with this story. its about donald sterling making racist comments. how do you go from that to having to declare that you never owned slaves?
Just saying this is still used as a since of entitlement. Not with the story but just in general. I was reply to a comment of another poster. Racism is present all over the world by all types of race. But it seems like it is okay for unless its from the white race then it is a huge deal. Just wish all races was criticized and made public when they are being racist. Then we may actually see racism and hate slowly start to disappear.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #210
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
There are no conduct rules for owners. The NBA is violating their own Constitution by forcing him out due to behavior.
Actually that is not true, if you want the real breakdown of the legal challenges ahead, read this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...-lifetime-ban/

It is possible Sterling could win. Anything is possible. But the likelihood is very slim and dependent on Silver and his team having made a critical error. Other than that, it is pretty open and shut.

Quote:
Silver has broad authority under the NBA's constitution and bylaws to suspend and fine an owner for conduct detrimental to the NBA.

Silver is authorized to punish Sterling based on the recording's impact on the league.

Sterling is also disadvantaged in challenging the suspension and fine because of how a court would treat such a challenge. A court would review Silver's decision under the deferential "arbitrary and capricious" standard of review. This standard would essentially require Sterling prove that the NBA -- and specifically Silver, acting as the NBA's ultimate arbiter -- failed to follow its own rules in how it investigated Sterling and punished him. For instance, if the NBA failed to authenticate the recording, concealed evidence or not requested a meeting with Sterling, Sterling might have sufficient grounds. Silver's remarks during the press conference, however, suggest all relevant rules and policies were followed. Absent Sterling proving there was a procedural defect of serious importance, Sterling likely has no viable appeal to either the fine or suspension.

Silver has also recommended that NBA owners effectively force Sterling to sell the Clippers. The NBA has a procedure in place for this extraordinary action, but the procedure contains enough ambiguity that debate among owners is likely. Under article 13 of the league's constitution, three fourths of the teams' ownership groups can vote to terminate a franchise under certain conditions. The conditions are focused on financial matters, such as an owner unable to meet payroll or an owner implicated in financial impropriety. None of the listed conditions, SI.com is told, apply directly to the type of conduct committed by Sterling. That said, article 13 also contains a more general requirement of ethical conduct in business dealings and contracts. Sterling's comments could be deemed unethical. They have also clearly damaged labor relations between the league and players, as players have gone so far as to consider boycotting NBA games. Also, sponsors have dropped deals with the Clippers. Should the NBA's owners vote to expel Sterling, the general requirement language would likely be cited as supplying the main legal justification.
And all of this to say, to what end should pushing this agenda help Mr. Sterling? He could burn the NBA to the ground I suppose, making one of its franchises a pariah that people refuse to work for, play for, coach for and possibly even play against. And then of course he is still in the public eye, looking even worse than he does now if that is possible. Just don't think the guy is a glutton for punishment.

I am not saying I like everything about the way this process has gone, but you can't make those comments in his position and expect to continue as usual. I think taking a person's franchise for these things is a slippery slope, we will see the day when a person's opinion of gay marriage, abortion, defense of Israel, etc. will probably try to be used by some people in the same way. The difference between those things and this is that racism is somewhat universally recognized by modern society as wrong, while the others have legitimate debates around them. You can argue about a two-state solution from multiple angles, but there is no justification for saying the color of a person's skin means they are less of a person.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #211
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
How about the answer: "Mr. Sterling admitted to saying offensive remarks which are against the code of conduct laid out in our bylaws. This resulted in multiple sponsorship cancellations and a potential workforce stoppage dependent on his removal. We were able to move forward because he admitted doing this in an official investigation by the NBA and he was aware we were recording him and agreed to be recorded during the investigation."

Voila, Sterling's own words. Now could he still sue? Sure, you can sue for anything. But you are so adamant he is going to and I am not even sure if he is interested in that. Better to get out of town and live the rest of your life in relative peace. We will see soon how he chooses to proceed.

I'm no lawyer- but I have a feeling the only party Sterling will be able to sue is the party that recorded him without his knowledge (read: not the NBA)

But what will Sterling benefit from going after his gf (mistress?)
Aside from just exacerbating her current legal nightmares.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #212
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
I know what the **** I am talking about,

You are in the minority of people that think this statement is true.

See this thread for further evidence: http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205577&page=5
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #213
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I know what the **** I am talking about, you just don't want to listen or have the education to understand. So then just do yourself a favor and just don't listen if you don't want to learn something.
Your posts prove otherwise.

But, hey- maybe everyone else is wrong.
Maybe the NBA is wrong, their lawyers are wrong, everyone else in this thread (save the closet racists) are wrong...you're the only one who has it all figured out.

Kind of reminds me of a classic Rayland Givens line...
You run into an asshole in the morning, then you've run into an asshole.
You run into assholes all day...you're the asshole.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #214
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I'm no lawyer- but I have a feeling the only party Sterling will be able to sue is the party that recorded him without his knowledge (read: not the NBA)

But what will Sterling benefit from going after his gf (mistress?)
Aside from just exacerbating her current legal nightmares.
Now I don't know if this is true, but the lady is saying she was never his mistress, never his girlfriend and he knew she recorded things for him as part of a job. I will say, for a guy to have that public of a girlfriend and a wife is unusual, so this does make sense. And if she really has 100 hours worth of tape, that is also more likely of a story. She also claims she did not make these public, not sure if she is saying they were stolen?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #215
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Now I don't know if this is true, but the lady is saying she was never his mistress, never his girlfriend and she knew he recorded things for him as part of a job. I will say, for a guy to have that public of a girlfriend and a wife is unusual, so this does make sense. And if she really has 100 hours worth of tape, that is also more likely of a story. She also claims she did not make these public, not sure if she is saying they were stolen?
Hm...interesting stuff. I had not heard / read that, but I'll be looking for it in these stories that will inevitably continue to surface around this incident.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #216
taylorssc
Banned

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Actually that is not true, if you want the real breakdown of the legal challenges ahead, read this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...-lifetime-ban/
It is true. There is nothing specifying behavior. If they include behavior as detrimental to the league, it's a slippery slope. MJ owns sweatshops, nets owner is in the Russian Mafia, Jay Z is a racist... the list goes on.

This is from SI also:
Quote:
Forcibly removing Sterling from the NBA is unlikely to happen. The NBA’s constitution, which is confidential, reportedly contains language permitting owners to authorize the league to sell a team without an owner’s consent. The language, SI.com is told, only covers very limited circumstances and these circumstances concern team finances — namely, when an owner can’t pay his bills.

There is reportedly no language authorizing the NBA to sell a team because of an owner’s hurtful remarks or embarrassing behavior. Even if constitutional language could be construed to authorize a forced sale of the Clippers, NBA owners would likely be reluctant to do so given the precedent it would set.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #217
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Jay Z doesn't own an NBA team.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #218
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
It is true. There is nothing specifying behavior. If they include behavior as detrimental to the league, it's a slippery slope. MJ owns sweatshops, nets owner is in the Russian Mafia, Jay Z is a racist... the list goes on.
Jay Z has been brought up numerous times, but he is no longer a partial owner. As far as the others and your premise as whole, conduct detrimental is purposefully broad and encompassing but can be agreed upon by the committees when necessary. It's like pornography, hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

In this case, to say this his conduct was detrimental to the team is obvious. The entire workforce was prepared to boycott the playoffs if he wasn't suspended. Multiple sponsorships were cancelled or suspended. You can't make those remarks in a league with over 70% African Americans and expect things to be normal.

And yes, there is a double standard. MJ is the only majority African American owner. Rap music says all kind of unsavory things. It's a reality, and will probably stay that way for awhile. It will especially evidence itself in the sports arena if you have a league primarily made up of a group with the history of African-Americans in the United States. Just the way it is, will probably change eventually but if you are going to be an owner of a team in that league then you need to understand there are some things you can't say. You shouldn't say them anyway, but in that position you CAN'T say them and things continue as they are.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #219
taylorssc
Banned

Male

To beat a dead horse, what did he say?

I heard him say he loved black. I heard him say he didn't hate blacks. I heard him ask this trick to not bring the black men she was boning to his games, like Magic.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #220
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
To beat a dead horse, what did he say?

I heard him say he loved black. I heard him say he didn't hate blacks. I heard him ask this trick to not bring the black men she was boning to his games, like Magic.

From the original TMZ story...

Quote:
L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling told his GF he does NOT want her bringing black people to his games ... including Magic Johnson ... and it's ALL on tape.

TMZ Sports has obtained audio of Sterling making the racist declaration during a heated argument on April 9th with V. Stiviano ... after she posted a photo on Instagram posing with Magic.

Sterling rails on Stiviano -- who ironically is black and Mexican -- for putting herself out in public with a black person (she has since taken the pic down). But it doesn't end there. You have to listen to the audio to fully grasp the magnitude of Sterling's racist worldview. Among the comments:

-- "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that youíre associating with black people. Do you have to?" (3:30)

-- "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games." (5:15)

-- "Iím just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you donít have to have yourself with, walking with black people." (7:45)

-- "...Don't put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games." (9:13)

Sterling has a documented history of allegedly racist behavior -- he's been sued twice by the federal government for allegedly refusing to rent apartments to Blacks and Latinos.

He was also sued by former Clippers exec Elgin Baylor for racial discrimination -- though a jury was ultimately not convinced and shot down Baylor's case.

Sterling has been separated from his wife Shelly for years. She remains a key player in running the team and sources tell us she's "mortified" by Sterling's comments.

We have made several calls to Sterling and his people ... so far, no word back.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/26/donald...magic-johnson/
Closed Thread