CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
Handsome_Dabo
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
SuperCockMaster
Aggie96
thekob
The Yancey
johnnyb
SEC East QB's Ranked (1340)
The bane of our seas (1322)
Ward wants us to pla (1047)
OBC banner being add (939)
WR Depth Chart/Rotat (921)
Who scores the first (610)
Davis Playing in A&a (552)
Come and get your Jo (444)
All garnet for Thurs (420)
CFB Playoff Bracket (409)
Tanner McEvoy Starting QB
Who scores the first touc
Howdy! - Tailgating quest
Davis Playing in A&M
As things currently stand
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
The bane of our season
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
CFB Playoff Bracket predi
Come and get your Johnny

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #221
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Here is a story about Baron Davis recounting his relationship with Sterling...

http://deadspin.com/5890484/baron-da...g-to-the-games
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #222
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Thx. Been traveling all week. Trying to follow via this thread.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #223
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Thx. Been traveling all week. Trying to follow via this thread.
know how that goes all too well...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #224
Bobby Boucher
Recruit

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Sir do you have a resentment towards african-americans?

I have resentment towards individuals, not every member of any race, nationality, religion, ethnicity, or culture.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #225
Bobby Boucher
Recruit

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
For the millionth time this is not about Sterling's comments. It's about his history. The NBA has hated sterling for years. This was just what they needed to finally do it. Check sterling's miserable history. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. The decision wasn't over the top given his history.
If it's not about Sterling's comments, then why did they wait until now to do something about it? Sterling's past comments were the ones that you can say were racist or bigotted. These comments were not (unless you are offended by literally everything).
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #226
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
If it's not about Sterling's comments, then why did they wait until now to do something about it? Sterling's past comments were the ones that you can say were racist or bigotted. These comments were not (unless you are offended by literally everything).
What past comments are you referring to? From what I have heard, he was sued a few different times by different individuals. One he settled, one he won (the one Elgin Baylor had). What comments were publicly known and admitted to before these?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #227
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 960
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons
Thumbs down Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
In the link you provided, it states this:

From the linked law of that quote (Paragraph "d" of Section "2"), it states:

So, according to your link, it's legal....
When must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?
Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington

Gotta love it
Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #228
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington
The recording being admissible or legal is no longer an issue outside of a lawsuit between he and that person if it was indeed without permission. For the purposes of his fine, suspension and forced selling of the team, its practically a done deal.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #229
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
The recording being admissible or legal is no longer an issue outside of a lawsuit between he and that person if it was indeed without permission. For the purposes of his fine, suspension and forced selling of the team, its practically a done deal.
My name is Paul, and that's between y'all

Kenny Powers
Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #230
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
LOL tell that to the lawyer whom owns the team and says it is not for Sale, the same guy who paid 12.5 million for the team in 1981, the same guy who has won a Lifetime NAACP award in his past, hired African American Coaches, the same guy the commissioner said in his press conference he has known for 20 years and never heard or seen him reflect this kind of behavior. If you think an 80 year old lawyer is not going to take this to court, fight for his rights then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #231
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Educate yourself. As has been mentioned in this thread, Sterling has a HISTORY that the NBA was well aware of. This incident was just the physical evidence they needed to do something

Hell, Baron Davis was on a radio how last week, before this incident became public, detailing how Sterling treated him as less than human. Look it up.
Really, I see an NAACP Lifetime Achievement award in his past, how many racist have one of those and if we were to deny every shmuck who broke the HUD laws and was sued the line would be full of every race, sex, color and creed known to man!
So you take Sterling heckling Davis, though he was on Sterling's team as less than human, I wish someone would treat me less than human if that is getting paid millions to be heckled, cry a river for Davis!
I can't imagine a construction worker, topless dancer, garbage man, late night customer service worker saying this is being treated less than human, if I fired or banned every employee that had a race issue in the military when I was overseas or construction worker or server or bartender that ever worked for me for expressing n opinion as Sterling did I would have less than 50% of my employees standing!
Mr. Sterling may be no Angel but not one racist I ever met would date an African American woman, would hire an African American except for the scummiest jobs and for sure not to be the Head Coach of an NBA franchise.
To take words from a recording, recorded by an ex GF whom he is trying to put in jail and railroad him across the media to take his NBA franchise is un American, we have freedom of speech and you are trying to take his. Over my dead body if it were me!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #232
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Really, I see an NAACP Lifetime Achievement award in his past, how many racist have one of those and if we were to deny every shmuck who broke the HUD laws and was sued the line would be full of every race, sex, color and creed known to man!
So you take Sterling heckling Davis, though he was on Sterling's team as less than human, I wish someone would treat me less than human if that is getting paid millions to be heckled, cry a river for Davis!
I can't imagine a construction worker, topless dancer, garbage man, late night customer service worker saying this is being treated less than human, if I fired or banned every employee that had a race issue in the military when I was overseas or construction worker or server or bartender that ever worked for me for expressing n opinion as Sterling did I would have less than 50% of my employees standing!
Mr. Sterling may be no Angel but not one racist I ever met would date an African American woman, would hire an African American except for the scummiest jobs and for sure not to be the Head Coach of an NBA franchise.
To take words from a recording, recorded by an ex GF whom he is trying to put in jail and railroad him across the media to take his NBA franchise is un American, we have freedom of speech and you are trying to take his. Over my dead body if it were me!
Money talks
Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #233
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecock524 View Post
Money talks
So they are no different than anyone else they all, players, coaches, sponsors, front office and NBA execs, knew this past everyone talks about but were cool collecting that check. So he was not such a racist then that we would not work for him but after these recorded phone calls he is a real racist???????
Old 04-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #234
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
So they are no different than anyone else they all, players, coaches, sponsors, front office and NBA execs, knew this past everyone talks about but were cool collecting that check. So he was not such a racist then that we would not work for him but after these recorded phone calls he is a real racist???????

the NAACP's flimsy moral foundation does not excuse Sterling in this incident whatsoever.

not saying you made that point, just laying it out there.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #235
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

How many times is someone going to post this same, tired, inaccurate, and ignorant point in this thread?

FREEDOM OF SPEECH PROTECTS THE INDIVIDUAL FROM THE GOVERNMENT.
NEITHER THE STATE, NOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, IS PROSECUTING STERLING.
IT DOES NOT PROVIDE A SHIELD TO THE INDIVIDUAL FROM THEIR EMPLOYER.
FREEDOM OF SPEECH =/= FREEDOM FROM CONSEQUENCE.

Sorry for yelling, but good grief- we've got some damn dense people in this thread.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #236
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

This is ridiculous.

Freedom of speech.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #237
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
This is ridiculous.

Freedom of speech.

Its one of those arguments that, as it continues to get repeated, even after the absurdity of the argument is pointed out again and again, that eventually you have to take a step back and think "you know, maybe there is something to that stereotype of dumb Southerners..."

*Disclaimer: I love the South, born and raised in SC. But I also have high expectations for people and places I love.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #238
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
LOL tell that to the lawyer whom owns the team and says it is not for Sale, the same guy who paid 12.5 million for the team in 1981, the same guy who has won a Lifetime NAACP award in his past, hired African American Coaches, the same guy the commissioner said in his press conference he has known for 20 years and never heard or seen him reflect this kind of behavior. If you think an 80 year old lawyer is not going to take this to court, fight for his rights then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.
I don't think he does take this to court, at least to keep the team. A lot of you disagree, we will see. There are two reasons for my thoughts. First, I don't think he would win. The NBA seems to have enough grounds under their bylaws:

How can Silver do that? According to Leigh Steinberg of Forbes, Paragraph 13 of the NBA Constitution gives the owners the authority to force a sale under special circumstances.

Quote:
Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, NBA owners also have the right, by three-fourths vote, to revoke ownership if an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely."
Secondly, there is no happy ending here for Donald Sterling. If he were to win ownership back, the whole league would boycott. Better to get his money and leave rather than losing money hand over fist. The best thing for Sterling is to get out of the news, if he keeps fighting this in court that certainly won't happen.

And beyond all of that...my post was about the illegality of the taping, which is no longer an issue legally. He admitted to the investigators that it was him. If he wanted to take your approach, he should have refused to answer that investigators questions and filed a law suit right away.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #239
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Nothing in his past was this concrete. You had one lawsuit he settled and another he won. Sure, lots of rumors, but rumors aren't the video tapes that just came out.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #240
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Its one of those arguments that, as it continues to get repeated, even after the absurdity of the argument is pointed out again and again, that eventually you have to take a step back and think "you know, maybe there is something to that stereotype of dumb Southerners..."

*Disclaimer: I love the South, born and raised in SC. But I also have high expectations for people and places I love.
If you look at the quote above yours, it's actual law for two party consent. Now what he can do to whom I do not know, or what could happen. I also saw GH post that the ex gal was the mans Archivist which she was paid to record him, he also stated it could be a false, but was just putting it out there, so if that is true it might affect the 2 party consent law, again I don't know what can happen. I'm no lawyer, and I'm sure most people on here who have commented aren't either. So all I can do is just say lets see what will happen, unless we have a lawyer that knows the laws of California to weigh in on this, and tell us what can happen.

Change of subject I find it weird the man has something against Black men, but dates a Black woman. I also don't like the guy because he cheated on his wife. Not only is he Racist, but a cheater as well. Sarcasm on, he's a really great guy isn't he?
Closed Thread