CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
ChickenButt
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
GSC2013
gadeneer1986
Four UK Players Susp (1732)
400 pasing yards (705)
Nosovitch (689)
This program has no (583)
Funny? (553)
What fish do you eat (391)
KY Suspends 4 Player (384)
Zone Read Analysis w (363)
Thompson Has Neck In (298)
Would You Accept Lam (273)
Funny?
One dimensional QB
HBC Weekly Presser
Middle-Earth: Shadow of M
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201
Bad Week For Upstate Coac
Thoughts on the basketbal
10-2
Maty Mauk tries to take o
What fish do you eat

Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #41
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: Early Expectations for 2014, thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
First of all, I hate talking about clemson in any positive way. However, they return a strong defense and Deshaun Watson will be really good once he gets a few games under his belt. By the time we play them at their place, they will be one of the better teams we face.
Strong D? Serious?

As for Watson, let's see him play a game first, and make it through a few practices without getting hurt. I am all for respecting other teams, but come on they have more holes and new faces than us by far.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #42
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Your right, that is why when Clemson beat Georgia, I laughed because it made taters believe they had a chance at us.
Exactly. Home field advantage is huge these days. That is one reason I think we slip at clemson. That and 6 in a row would be unbearable for their fans and a major embarrassment for dumbo. They will be motivated more this year than any year in the recent past.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #43
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I see Clemson being the 4th or 5th best team on our schedule...their defense is the only worry I have of them since Dylan is not as good at scrambling. Hopefully our OL opens holes in the run lanes so it wont matter.I also predict that Stoudt is their starting qb for the entire year as he looked capable in their SG. It's also too early to know how the collarbone injury affects Watson's play time. Can he grasp the offense that quickly? Even in the ACC it's tough to start as a Freshman qb. Yes I know he is supposed to be the next Jamis Winston and all but still...FSU had the weapons that Watson will not.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #44
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Strong D? Serious?

As for Watson, let's see him play a game first, and make it through a few practices without getting hurt. I am all for respecting other teams, but come on they have more holes and new faces than us by far.
I really hope you are right and I am wrong. Yes, they have holes, but they also have recruited well and are stacked with talent to fill the holes. If Watson were on our roster, everyone would be giddy about a 5 star dual threat talent. Just because he picked them doesn't make him any less talented.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #45
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
I really hope you are right and I am wrong. Yes, they have holes, but they also have recruited well and are stacked with talent to fill the holes. If Watson were on our roster, everyone would be giddy about a 5 star dual threat talent. Just because he picked them doesn't make him any less talented.
so you are one of those star gazers? prob with clem5on is they didn't fill thier needs, the lines.

Difference between Watson being here and there is the fact we have a game proven QB who has won a game at USC's field in clem5on.

The game will come down to coaching, like it has the past 5 years.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #46
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

Quote:
so you are one of those star gazers? prob with clem5on is they didn't fill thier needs, the lines.

Difference between Watson being here and there is the fact we have a game proven QB who has won a game at USC's field in clem5on.

The game will come down to coaching, like it has the past 5 years.
Forget the stars but don't overlook the talent. If he is durable enough for the college game, he will be a good QB.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #47
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Forget the stars but don't overlook the talent. If he is durable enough for the college game, he will be a good QB.
talent is great, but he hasn't even stepped on a field and you think he can put up 350 on a solid D? C'mon man
Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #48
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

I predict , Iwill have no finger nails left at the end of season. I predict a lot of Jack D. will be consumed in 2014. At this time this is the only things I can be absolutley sure of.........
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #49
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

Quote:
talent is great, but he hasn't even stepped on a field and you think he can put up 350 on a solid D? C'mon man
Well, by the time we play them, he will have game experience. Conversely, you call our defense solid before we have even played a game. We lost 5 starters and will possibly be relying on true freshmen at the corner spots. So much depends on injuries. Throw in learning a new 3-4 defense and I say we have more questions on our defense than clemson does at QB.

Also, look at our rushing yards minus Connor Shaw against them over the past 3 years. They have been effective at slowing down our RB's and forcing us to throw.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #50
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, by the time we play them, he will have game experience. Conversely, you call our defense solid before we have even played a game. We lost 5 starters and will possibly be relying on true freshmen at the corner spots. So much depends on injuries. Throw in learning a new 3-4 defense and I say we have more questions on our defense than clemson does at QB.

Also, look at our rushing yards minus Connor Shaw against them over the past 3 years. They have been effective at slowing down our RB's and forcing us to throw.
They have also been extremely effective at beating themselves from what I hear Dabo say.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #51
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Exactly...can he be durable. He isn't going to miraculously pack on 30 lbs of muscle between now and the time we play them.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #52
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

1. We are not switching our base D to a 3-4
2. Most all of the starters on D this year will have already had plenty of SEC game experience, Lamin doesn't and depending on who plays CB they may or may not. I am not to worried about the D as others seem to be.
3. Davis was injured toward the end of the year. in 12 we had 134 rushing, miles and davis doing most of it, not to mentiont 38 from Dylan. in 2011 Miles had 71yards. Last year Clem5on did well against our run, but at the end of the day we won going away in the 4th quarter.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #53
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Do we even know that Watson will be playing much this season? I know Kelly's dismissal means he probably won't redshirt anymore, but I imagine Clemson will try to roll with Stoudt as their #1 QB for as long as they can possibly manage.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #54
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I'll take 9-3 and 6 in a row.

Anything more than that is gravy on the biscuit.
Spot on
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #55
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Texas A&M – Tough opening game, but I don’t think they are as good as last year by a long shot… glad this one is at home

East Carolina – “don’t sleep on ECU” amirite? But for real I think this might be the best ECU team we’ve faced out of the last 2

Georgia – Must be able to stop the run! Defense will be the key to this game I think low scoring.. UGA’s d improves with new coordinator

Vandy – Not the same Vandy we have seen the last couple of years … but we do seem to struggle with them.. pull away late?

Missouri – Matty Mauk is no slouch… def a tougher game than expected but being at home helps…after last years game and another close one .. this starts to become a true rivalry

Kentucky – Better UK team .. still not great

Furman – hopefully no injuries

Auburn – I just don’t know… I would feel better if it were at home… Auburn is extremely tough.. one of the best overall environments for college football I have seen.. .if we do somehow win this one ..then we are having and going to have a magical season

Tennessee – Sweet revenge

Florida – better than last year… but still just cant get a read on how good they will be ..this is a tossup (IMO)

South Alabama – Again no injuries

Clemson – I do think Clemson lost a lot of what they had and will have some games where they will struggle… but with a rivalry you never know … we must stick to the script of the last few years on our end.. win turnover margin and long sustained drives

I will add i think this is one of the toughest schedules we have had in the last few years .. if we can make if through with only 1-3 losses it will be a pretty good year
Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #56
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I'm not ready to predict games yet.

Here are a few thoughts:

I love Dylan and think he will show out, at times. However, we will miss Connor big time. His savvy and his legs will be needed at times.

If the offensive line is dominant, you can probably disregard the previous paragraph.

We'll be fine at RB, WR and TE.

Defensive line looks sketchy to me. We're going to struggle to stop the run. I hope, by mid-season, we can improve like we did last year. Auburn is going to be hell. I think we'll need 38+.

I'm not too worried about our DBs.

Punting will still suck ballz.

I think we're looking at 8-4 to 10-2.

Oh...we'll beat Clemson...again...as usual.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #57
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Silly as early guesses are, I'll jump.

Texas A&M – I think we win this one and show a lot of ball control and play cautious defense.

East Carolina – The liklihood is that our DB's will be tested, but we are just too strong up front on O & D to win by less than 2 TD's.

Georgia – I'm expecting trouble stopping their offense, but I think their defense will be vulnerable to our multiple weapons. I'd give a slight edge to the Gamecocks. If the linebackers show up big, I think we win by 13+.

Vandy – We should get a good lead by halftime and win by 20+.

Missouri – I think they score some but we win by 6-10.

Kentucky – Maybe we will stall early, but I think at least a 21 point win.

Furman – Big run game early, lots of subs later on. 30+ win.

Auburn – We have to have good play up front and may have to try multiple schemes, but I think we can hold them under 24 if the LB's tackle. The offense will have to fight like crazy in the trenches, but we may be a 3-7 point winner - unless they haven't used up all their good miracle bounces last year. Auburn likes to jump on you early, so I expect a lot of pressure, and hope we can make them pay.

Tennessee – Tennessee should be somewhat better. I'm hoping for a good win to slow down their recruiting BS. I doubt it'll be a smackdown, but I think we will win.

Florida – I'm guessing we struggle to score early, but even if they're not injury-depleted again, I think we will get some turnovers and win by maybe 10-14.

South Alabama – Should be a blowout by half.

Clemson – Clemson's DL is being heralded as good and deep. I think they will still rely on stacking the box against good teams just like last year. If Dylan makes them pay by making good throws to the backs and TE's and a couple of good long ones, they could give up 30-35. I don't think they will score that many even if they don't turn it over. They are still iffy up front against a good front 7. Pundits made a big deal about their defense getting 14 sacks in the spring game. I watched. Their OL was sub-par at best, and their QB's struggled without Watson's WR screen as a mainstay. I'm guessing a 2 TD win.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #58
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post

Auburn We have to have good play up front and may have to try multiple schemes, but I think we can hold them under 24 if the LB's tackle. The offense will have to fight like crazy in the trenches, but we may be a 3-7 point winner - unless they haven't used up all their good miracle bounces last year. Auburn likes to jump on you early, so I expect a lot of pressure, and hope we can make them pay.
Keep Auburn to under 24? Good luck. Only team to keep Auburn under 24 last season was LSU, and that was when Nick Marshall only knew 25% of the offense. If you manage it, mazel tov.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #59
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Keep Auburn to under 24? Good luck. Only team to keep Auburn under 24 last season was LSU, and that was when Nick Marshall only knew 25% of the offense. If you manage it, mazel tov.
24 vs Miss St as well, so holding them under 24 is not impossible. And you loss Mason and Robinson, two big pieces of your offense. I know you showed out in the spring game! Time will tell, I for one will not be surprised when/if aubie lose 4 games this year
Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #60
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

We Will go 10-2 regular season. Loss at auburn and split UGA and mizzou. To much offense and not enough defense for us. I HOPE IM WRONG.

I say that because I'm concerned about our corners and I'm concerned about the amount of pressure we will get with the D line. If we give qbs time to throw on our corners it could be a major issue.

At the same time, these freshmen corners could be freaks and English and Dixon could not miss a beat on the ends. In thar case no worse than 11-1. At auburn sucks.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote