CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
markymark550
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
Lonnie
Regalcock
Travelin
PageUSC
thumpin big
We Have to Pass (2625)
Rivalry Thoughts and (2458)
Spurrier weekly pres (1666)
How is Shaq Davidson (1264)
This would be awesom (1123)
Perspective on our g (883)
Currently 2nd in att (747)
SEC referees? (656)
Defense and offense (461)
Black Friday Hard Co (368)
How is Shaq Davidson's re
How cool would it be to..
Alshon - Bose
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Perspective on our game f
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Why has there been 40 yea
weekend conference Predic
Name a Gamecock

Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Here4Beer
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Here4Beer has feathers coming inHere4Beer has feathers coming in
Thumbs up Help an Aggie out

Sup cocks. Me and my buddies are making the trip to Columbia for the game and I was hoping y'all could give us some tips on a few things. We're flying in Tuesday night and leaving Friday. Keep in mind we're all recently graduated from A&M or still in school so we definitely are looking to party and have fun with the people of Columbia.
Hotel recommendations?
Food?
Bars/Night life?
Tailgating?

Appreciate the help!
Here4Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Help an Aggie out

Young adults will enjoy the atmosphere in 5 points...

http://fivepointscolumbia.com/

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

I personally like: Pawleys front porch for amazing burgers (my favorite is the pimento cheese buger on a ciabatta bun), grouchos for some hot sandwhiches, cookout for cheap late night fast food, yesterdays, california dreaming or blue marlin for a "nicer meal"

(many people have different and strong opinions which im sure they will express here about all of this)

five points is more the run down undergrad bars

vista is more young professionals lower key bars

Last edited by kick_ball; 05-01-2014 at 01:18 PM.
kick_ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 300
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly

Cookout. End of story.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Hunter gather is a nice place to get some good food. Burger Tavern 77 have good burgers and is close to 5 pts. I would recommend going to the vista over five points. It is safer and the bars are nicer. Enjoy the trip! And, oh yeah Do NOT eat any "Mexican" food in Cola.. It is hot garbage. Just hold off a little longer so you can enjoy El Tiempo, Ninfas, Guadalajara, etc.

Be sure to stop by after your trip to let us know how it was.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

stay the hell outta 5 points. Go to the vista.

Oh and tell Eric Hymen good riddance.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Pawley's Front Porch( 5 points) has real good burgers... Drive Inns, Diners and Dives did a show from there... As for bar scene... 5 points is more for 25 and under, the Vista is 25+... Yeah, the Mexican restaruants are more for cheap beer... The food is meh... Hell, y'all are from Texas, that is real Mex food there.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

Don't go to 5 Points. Go to the vista you'll have a lot of fun
Old 05-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4Beer View Post
Sup cocks. Me and my buddies are making the trip to Columbia for the game and I was hoping y'all could give us some tips on a few things. We're flying in Tuesday night and leaving Friday. Keep in mind we're all recently graduated from A&M or still in school so we definitely are looking to party and have fun with the people of Columbia.
Hotel recommendations?
Food?
Bars/Night life?
Tailgating?

Appreciate the help!
Stay at the Hampton Inn in the Vista. That way you can party and stumble home.

Book something NOW. The city will sell out for the game. Lots of people will drive in and spend the night. First game, first SEC televised event on the SEC network, etc.

Motor Supply Company is one of my all time favorite restaurants.

Tailgating? Bojangles fried chicken or Publix. Plenty of places to park and you'll see tens of thousands tailgating. Just follow the traffic Thursday afternoon.

Have fun!
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
Don't go to 5 Points. Go to the vista you'll have a lot of fun
Yes, you are less likely to get shot to death in the Vista.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Two Notch area is really cool, lots to do there

Also Broad River - premium entertainment district. I know a few contacts if you guys are looking to get radical

If you go to Savannah's, ask for Barbie Cummings
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Here4Beer
Walk On

Male

Here4Beer has feathers coming inHere4Beer has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Two Notch area is really cool, lots to do there

Also Broad River - premium entertainment district. I know a few contacts if you guys are looking to get radical

If you go to Savannah's, ask for Barbie Cummings
If by radical you mean get hammered, wild, and find some Carolina strange....then yes we're looking to get radical.

Also thanks everyone for the tips. It sounds like we should stay away from 5 points if we value not being shot (which we do)!
I really like this thing
Here4Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

When I was that young, I would try to sleep in the lobbies of dorms for the schools where I was partying. Also, would take free showers from students I met, and try for free or discounted cafeteria food. I definitely would not rely on a bunch of old people on message boards for where to party. However, I doubt you Texas guys are as radical as I was back in those days. Kids nowadays are wimps.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
If by radical you mean get hammered, wild, and find some Carolina strange....then yes we're looking to get radical.

Also thanks everyone for the tips. It sounds like we should stay away from 5 points if we value not being shot (which we do)!

I really like this thing

Don't go to Two Notch or Broad River. That's the most horrible advice anybody in here could give you.

Get a hotel in the vista and party in the vista. No need to go anywhere else but thee and the stadium unless you want to go to strip clubs. Welcome to Columbia
Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

And if you want to go to a strip club go to Platinum Plus right off of 1-26 a few miles from downtown.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #16
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

If you are in college or recently graduated, then check out 5 Points, just be on your guard while you do (potential safety concerns, although they're overblown). For the in-college crowd I'd recommend Salty Nut and Pavlov's it's where the best looking sorority girls will be and it'll be open til the wee hours of the morning. You won't have to worry about any serious altercations, just an occasional drunken fraternity skirmish, nothing atypical. For the end of college or just-out-of-college crowd I'd recommend Jake's. That place avoids the riff-raff that plagues some locations in 5 Points.

Avoid a bar called The Library, it's where the thugs and hoodlums congregate. I'd also stay away from ConCocktions, Parrot Heads, and whatever else is located in/near the old run-down China Garden, loitering wannabe gangsters occasionally stand outside these places and start trouble.

If you're looking for a mid-20s and older crowd late night, head up to Nightcaps on Devine (it'll be open til sunrise). Bar None is also a great late night spot.

Otherwise, if you're looking to avoid the college-feel and looking for a mid-to-late 20s vibe and older, go to the Vista. Tin Roof in the Vista should have a good mix including some college-aged folks and 20-something year olds. That's probably the best place to go in the Vista for a college-aged person looking to have fun and (presumably) chase women. You could also hit up Flying Saucer and/or World of Beer for a more laid-back good beer atmosphere. Aside from that, there are some classy bars (Pearlz, Liberty, Thirsty Fellow, any restaurant/bar) that are nice but too much hell-raising would likely be frowned upon.

Go to Publick House on Devine St for wings or Pawleys Front Porch on Harden St for burgers. Try The Gourmet Shop for a great lunch.

Unfortunately I can't help you out on hotels because I haven't stayed in a hotel in Columbia since I was a kid in the 90s.

On game day, if you and your pals are trying to get wild, go to Morrison Memorial Lot on Andrews Road, it will be bonkers. For big games it will be out of control, I've had buddies from UGA who've traveled to all the conference schools say it was the greatest tailgate experience they've ever seen. Sadly I've aged out of Memorial, but I'll still wander over there for the big games just to blend in to the madhouse.

If you're looking for a more relaxed vibe, I'd suggest wandering through the Farmer's Market and chatting with tailgaters there. Carolina fans will be more than willing to welcome you to our tailgates.

Hope yall have a blast.

-- George Burns

Last edited by ipull4usc; 05-01-2014 at 03:19 PM.
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Don't go to Two Notch or Broad River. That's the most horrible advice anybody in here could give you.

Get a hotel in the vista and party in the vista. No need to go anywhere else but thee and the stadium unless you want to go to strip clubs. Welcome to Columbia
Yeah, do this like the rest of us old fogeys.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Quote:

I really like this thing
As I said in a previous post, if you're in college or just out of college you should go to 5 Points (unless you're looking for a laid-back, classier vibe). Just be careful when you do go there. I'm 27, and I know when I was in college I had infinitely more fun at Salty Nut, Pavlov's and Jake's in 5 Points than I had in the Vista (aside from Tin Roof, which wasn't open when I was in college). Of course my priorities at the time were getting drunk and chasing women. If those are yall's priorities, go to 5 Points. Just use your best judgment, it should be obvious which areas/bars to avoid because the clientele at those places will be obviously sketchy before you walk through the door.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

The guy wants a good time, and you can have WAY more fun in Columbia than if you go to the Vista with a bunch of yuppie douchebags and chodes.

I'm telling you man, head to Two Notch. Place is wild.

You don't want to stand in a Buffalo Wild Wings drinking a fcking Blue Moon listening to Zac Brown Band, that shit is boring.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Honestly, from what you're describing you want, I would go to 5 points. The issues with gun violence in 5 points are extremely overblown and you really are not in much danger. If you are wanting to party your balls off with young college chicks then you need to go to 5 points. It is a spot for undergrads or even recent grads too. There are a ton of bars packed into 5 points so you can hop from bar to bar until you find a scene you like. It is a shit show.

If you want to have some drinks with a bunch of "young professionals" in nicer bars in a nicer area, then go to the Vista. There is a club called Social in The Vista that has live music sometimes and is pretty popular right now. Also, the Tin Roof has some fun live music acts and is usually pretty packed as well. Liberty Taproom usually has a DJ and a good crowd. World of Beer is nice environment with a huge selection of beers and live music sometimes. Oyster Bar has live music sometimes and a nice raw bar in the back- if you like oysters, you should stop in for an oyster shot. Uncle Louie's is the only "5 points-ish" bar in the Vista... meaning its a cheap dive bar. There are other options as well, but those are my favorites.... minus Uncle Louie's.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote