CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3225)
Gameday in Columbia (2835)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2463)
Clem5on fans are bes (1471)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1418)
Why Weren't We Bette (1314)
SEC East Race as of (1123)
ST coach fired this (933)
Hardest Schedule (923)
Let's talk about Mat (919)
Why Weren't We Better Pre
ST coach fired this week
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
D line pressure
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 05-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons
Default Finebaum on Spurrier

I was listening to Finebaum yesterday talking to callers about the Winston saga and out of the blue he pulled out a story about the HBC that made me smile.

The context was Finebaum saying that as long as Winston, or any player, can get away with something they will continue to do it as long as the school or pro team enables them. The problem is then when they are done with sports they have that entitlement attitude but there is no one to protect them any longer.

Finebaum said that 15 or more years ago he was in Gainesville for a speaking engagement and went by to see Spurrier. While he was there a member of the media that they both knew called the HBC to tell him that he saw his quarterback out drinking the night before. The media guy was friendly and Finebaum said the story would go no further from the writer.

The HBC, though, called the player in, the player confessed, and Spurrier suspended him for the next game, which Finebaum said he thought was Auburn, but in any case it wasn't a cupcake game.

Finebaum said that most coaches would have ignored it since it wasn't public. Spurrier, he said, is one of the few coaches with integrity who will do the right thing for the team and the player all the time, not just when it's in the public eye.

Finebaum is a guy who makes a living ripping everyone in college football and you rarely hear compliments from him, but it goes to show that those on the inside of college football know what we know, that we have a great coach and even better person leading our football team.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly
Default Re: Finebaum on Spurrier

Good post!
'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

He is simply trying to rebuild bridges he burned down over the years to ensure that he has facetime and a steady pay check from ESPN and SEC network.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

That was probably Terry Dean.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I don't think he protects players, but he's going to take criticism for that Garcia situation every time someone raised this issue.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't think he protects players, but he's going to take criticism for that Garcia situation every time someone raised this issue.
I hate to say it, but at times, I feel he chose to let Garcia stay because it was the only way to get a leg up in the league at the time. He felt he was running out of time to turn it around, and knew that Garcia would help us get in the right direction. (What Garcia did most of the time, was nothing worse than a 1 game suspension at the most.) At least he didn't beat the sh** out of his girlfriend like that team from the upstate had a player do.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Pretty sure it wasn't Danny Wuerffel.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
He is simply trying to rebuild bridges he burned down over the years to ensure that he has facetime and a steady pay check from ESPN and SEC network.
Eh.

He's always been a fan of Spurrier.
I also doubt he's burned bridges so bad that he won't get time. He's become one of the biggest radio personalities in college football acting the way he has. As much people that say they hate him, still tune in just because hey hate him.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

My guess is that is was the 3rd string QB. HBC runs a clean program, but he's always had a "boys will be boys" mentality.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I hate to say it, but at times, I feel he chose to let Garcia stay because it was the only way to get a leg up in the league at the time. He felt he was running out of time to turn it around, and knew that Garcia would help us get in the right direction. (What Garcia did most of the time, was nothing worse than a 1 game suspension at the most.) At least he didn't beat the sh** out of his girlfriend like that team from the upstate had a player do.
I don't think that's it, the Spurriers genuinely liked Garcia, Jerri called him her third son at one point. I think Spurrier wanted to believe and him and hoped he turned it around, Spurrier seems to have regrets for not holding him more accountable. You don't see Spurrier regret much.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Eh.

He's always been a fan of Spurrier.
I also doubt he's burned bridges so bad that he won't get time. He's become one of the biggest radio personalities in college football acting the way he has. As much people that say they hate him, still tune in just because hey hate him.
quoted:

“That moment” was in October, when Finebaum called Jadeveon Clowney the biggest joke in college football on the air. That naturally sent USC fans into a tizzy, and athletic director Ray Tanner fired back at the longtime SEC personality.
Tanner labeled the comments unprofessional and hateful, and mentioned that he would also address it to SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. Finebaum said he called Tanner a few days after that and apologized.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
I don't think that's it, the Spurriers genuinely liked Garcia, Jerri called him her third son at one point. I think Spurrier wanted to believe and him and hoped he turned it around, Spurrier seems to have regrets for not holding him more accountable. You don't see Spurrier regret much.
This.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
Garcia was a close call. HBC decided it was worth the risk to roll the dice on him and he came up just short on the maturity level he needed Stephen to achieve.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Garcia did not go unpunished for anything he did.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
quoted:

“That moment” was in October, when Finebaum called Jadeveon Clowney the biggest joke in college football on the air. That naturally sent USC fans into a tizzy, and athletic director Ray Tanner fired back at the longtime SEC personality.
Tanner labeled the comments unprofessional and hateful, and mentioned that he would also address it to SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. Finebaum said he called Tanner a few days after that and apologized.
Yea, he called Clowney a joke.

In July of 09 he wrote an article saying "don't bet against spurrier, he's still got game"

(I don't see him calling Clowney a joke anything to do with him Liking spurrier)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Yea, he called Clowney a joke.

In July of 09 he wrote an article saying "don't bet against spurrier, he's still got game"

(I don't see him calling Clowney a joke anything to do with him Liking spurrier)
Nor do I see anywhere in any of my statements that he doesn't like spurrier or his feelings regarding him whatsoever.

He is still very much a regional personality that in the past year or so has been gaining more and more national attention, largely due to the fact that he was being groomed to be a personality on a new network. At this point, I would assume he will be dialing back any serious criticism or grandiose statements to ensure that all fan bases at least have him in favor.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Garcia did not go unpunished for anything he did.
Oh, by no means, but Spurrier has gotten rid of great players for less than blowing 5 chances before.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #18
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Tony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talons

Haven't heard Paul in about a year, since I canceled my Sirius account. Does he still have the same callers that call in every day? Tammy I think it was and Robert?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #19
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Haven't heard Paul in about a year, since I canceled my Sirius account. Does he still have the same callers that call in every day? Tammy I think it was and Robert?
I could not listen to his show, because it was 90% deranged Bama and Auburn callers bickering all the time...

As for FB, he usually says nice things about Spurrier, but has hardly ever said a nice thing about Carolina, so that bald headed bastard is useless in my book.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Garcia wasn't a bad guy or a bad seed. He just liked to party.