CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
GH
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
garnet_black215
StormOfTalons
b381l
Welcome to Moe's (541)
Jay Paterno Attempts (454)
Hercules - review (193)
help with army insig (191)
I'm a grand godfathe (107)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (41)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (19)
Good Article for those co
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
college football match up
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 - Mon Denson
Coach's media golf press
2015 - Marquavius Lewis
Jay Paterno Attempts To R
***2014 Nascar Season Thr

Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #21
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit
Default Re: Nick Chubb

Writer is from ATL. This screams bad PR recruiting for USC more than anything else. "Let's put an article to say a teams coach doesn't really care about recruiting, and meeting it's players. Let's not mention the fact the player scheduled the visit at a time when the coach COULDN'T be there.

Last edited by rioninusc; 05-02-2014 at 07:25 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
CockyCody
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 381
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Crap!! I liked this story better when it made it seem like Spurrier just blew him off!
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Looks like he is re-thinking his commitment to me.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #24
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

March's winds & April's showers are gone. Dog days nowhere to be seen.
So 'tis the season for bull$hit, blarney & blather from the AJC.
Gotta help CMR & the guys seal that northeastern border from USC
'cause SOS is startin' to kick our ass just like he did at UF.
Read superfly's leaves, boys. Chubb's actions put the lie to his own words.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Yea...maybe Spurrier should have just drawn a picture of Nick
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #26
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

we were never getting this kid, he just wants an excuse to make us look bad.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #27
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Spurrier had no problem meeting with Connor and Latti when they were Seniors...Me thinks he knew it was a waste of time and was not going to change his plans for some kid who really had no intention of going here. Will enjoy watching on the losing ned in the fall inthe next few years.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #28
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Why didn’t you take official visits to other schools? “My mind was stuck on Georgia. And I’m glad I’m going to Georgia. But I wish had seen more places. But I didn’t. It was an opportunity I should’ve taken. I only took one official visit to Georgia, and I had four more.”

Where would you have visited? “Probably far away. Oregon, Stanford and somewhere Up North like Ohio State. I would’ve still signed with Georgia, though.”

..I guess y'all missed these also
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #29
Latti2001
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
First of all consider the source. Carvell probably had an agenda in writing that. Chubb did not schedule an official visit with us. He had made it clear he was going to UGA.
That's not the way I remember it happening.

Aside from this, it seems that several recruits have said the same thing in the past couple of years. HBC is a no show for their visit, or they say that our staff quit contacting them. Seems slack to me, but I'm sure some of the koolade drinkers here will write this comment off with the "we never had a chance anyhow" or "he was never interested in us" excuses.
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #30
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

It may seem slack to you but you like me don't know the whole story on a lot of these. On this one I can tell you from people close to the UGA program, he was UGA all the way. He was the best player in Ga. this year,imo, but we never had a chance on this one no matter if SOS was there or not. End of story.
athenscock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

We were also in the running for Gurley and Marshall early on before they picked UGA. There are 3 things that are a given in life...Death, taxes and UGA getting 5* runningbacks. We've shown we can beat them despite that. Sucks we didn't get him but he probably would've stayed home anyway.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #32
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I think it is hilarious when recruits think the world should stop in its tracks for them.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #33
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Without blaming anybody, somebody dropped the ball here. To say we never had a chance means you haven't followed recruiting very long. Anytime you get a recruit on campus you have a shot.

Given the log jam at RB at UGA & given that Chubb made those two trips on his dime says a lot. USC put all their eggs in the Scott basket & it bit them in the azz.

With all that, SOS is the best coach in this school's history. Period. Everything's all right with the world when you're winning 11 a yr & dominating your rival. Just be aware of one thing, the margin for error is razor thin in this league. USC, like most every other team in this league, is never far away from 7-4. Just the reality whether we like it or not. At that point, things like the Chubb recruiting blunder will bring out many, not all, of the same people bitching and raising hell who say this is no big deal right now.

Let's also not forget we have yet to win an SEC Championship. To do that will likely require the complete package. 100% commitment to player development & 100% commitment to recruiting. See Nick Saban. He's at Alabama & has built-in advantages but he is also universally acknowledged as one of the hardest working guys out there. The results speak for themselves.

Bottom line, when a 5* recruit from a neighboring state who happened to grow up liking your program wants to visit. Do whatever it takes to make sure he gets to sit down with the Head Football Coach, at some point, if that is important to the recruit. Maybe they meet in SC, maybe they meet in GA. Makes no difference, just get it done & see what happens.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #34
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Without blaming anybody, somebody dropped the ball here. To say we never had a chance means you haven't followed recruiting very long. Anytime you get a recruit on campus you have a shot.

Given the log jam at RB at UGA & given that Chubb made those two trips on his dime says a lot. USC put all their eggs in the Scott basket & it bit them in the azz.

With all that, SOS is the best coach in this school's history. Period. Everything's all right with the world when you're winning 11 a yr & dominating your rival. Just be aware of one thing, the margin for error is razor thin in this league. USC, like most every other team in this league, is never far away from 7-4. Just the reality whether we like it or not. At that point, things like the Chubb recruiting blunder will bring out many, not all, of the same people bitching and raising hell who say this is no big deal right now.

Let's also not forget we have yet to win an SEC Championship. To do that will likely require the complete package. 100% commitment to player development & 100% commitment to recruiting. See Nick Saban. He's at Alabama & has built-in advantages but he is also universally acknowledged as one of the hardest working guys out there. The results speak for themselves.

Bottom line, when a 5* recruit from a neighboring state who happened to grow up liking your program wants to visit. Do whatever it takes to make sure he gets to sit down with the Head Football Coach, at some point, if that is important to the recruit. Maybe they meet in SC, maybe they meet in GA. Makes no difference, just get it done & see what happens.
We DID get him on Campus! TWICE! So Spurrier wasn't there? So what? We had other coaches there. Spurrier was going to be there when his he would enroll. He could have talked to the coaches about setting something up with Spurrier. To drop a team from your list because you forgot to call ahead and the coach wasn't there waiting for you is ridiculous. I'M NOT BUYING IT and I am not going to ever.

We didn't put all our eggs in the Derrell Scott basket. We were just stacked at RB and weren't going to use a scholarship that could have to an area of need if the talent level didn't justify it, and Scott and Chubb were the only ones with that kind of talent showing us any kind of interest. But UGA had already gotten to Chubb and UT eventually got to Scott. It's NOT a "recruiting blunder." We lost a couple of recruiting battles to other schools.

It's no big deal, we still oversigned and filled our needs a finished with a good class with limited numbers.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 05-03-2014 at 12:29 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #35
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
We DID get him on Campus! TWICE! So Spurrier wasn't there? So what? We had other coaches there. Spurrier was going to be there when his he would enroll. He could have talked to the coaches about setting something up with Spurrier. To drop a team from your list because you forgot to call ahead and the coach wasn't there waiting for you is ridiculous. I'M NOT BUYING IT and I am not going to ever.

We didn't put all our eggs in the Derrell Scott basket. We were just stacked at RB and weren't going to use a scholarship that could have to an area of need if the talent level didn't justify it, and Scott and Chubb were the only ones with that kind of talent showing us any kind of interest. But UGA had already gotten to Chubb and UT eventually got to Scott. It's NOT a "recruiting blunder." We lost a couple of recruiting battles to other schools.

It's no big deal, we still oversigned and filled our needs a finished with a good class with limited numbers.

we were the leader for scott for over a year. it was a pretty big deal.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #36
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

It's no big deal, we still oversigned and filled our needs a finished with a good class with limited numbers

To start with you have no idea if we "filled our needs" or not. Case in point, we desperately needed DE's. We signed 3 (4 if your count Wideman) of those 4 Sawyer has enrolled at Jr College, Thomas is a JUCO with past grade issues, Wideman has known grade issues. Maybe it works out, maybe not , but you certainly have no idea if it will or not. We wanted a big-time QB, missed on that & signed a developmental player according to every major recruiting service. Diamond in the rough? Maybe.

Spurrier & his staff are the best ever here. They certainly make mistakes like any other coaching staff. We take Connor Shaw, great move. We slow play & offer Q Davis a greyshirt & take Quinton Smith. Not such a great move. Nick Chubb doesn't come to our campus twice on his dime if he's not interested. He wanted to meet the head coach, didn't happen & he's gone. Maybe it made a difference, maybe not. BTW if meeting the head coach is such a meaningless exercise, why does Steve Spurrier fly all over the eastern half of the country to visit these recruits? Why does he have them into his office for meetings on their recruiting trips? I'll answer for you, many recruits want to meet the man in charge of the program they are considering.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #37
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
we were the leader for scott for over a year. it was a pretty big deal.
okay? So? Maybe more so to you than our coaches. That tends to happen when you are a "early leader." Recruits eventually want to explore their other options, there is nothing you can do about it. We didn't do anything wrong with Scott and we didn't do anything wrong with Chubb either.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #38
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
It's no big deal, we still oversigned and filled our needs a finished with a good class with limited numbers

To start with you have no idea if we "filled our needs" or not. Case in point, we desperately needed DE's. We signed 3 (4 if your count Wideman) of those 4 Sawyer has enrolled at Jr College, Thomas is a JUCO with past grade issues, Wideman has known grade issues. Maybe it works out, maybe not , but you certainly have no idea if it will or not. We wanted a big-time QB, missed on that & signed a developmental player according to every major recruiting service. Diamond in the rough? Maybe.

Spurrier & his staff are the best ever here. They certainly make mistakes like any other coaching staff. We take Connor Shaw, great move. We slow play & initially offer Q Davis a greyshirt & take Quinton Smith. Not such a great move. Nick Chubb doesn't come to our campus twice on his dime if he's not interested. He wanted to meet the head coach, didn't happen & he's gone. Maybe it made a difference, maybe not. BTW if meeting the head coach is such a meaningless exercise, why does Steve Spurrier fly all over the eastern half of the country to visit these recruits? Why does he have them into his office for meetings on their recruiting trips? I'll answer for you, many recruits want to meet the man in charge of the program they are considering.
If someone wants to meet Steve Spurrier it's because he is legendary and famous. His resume speaks for itself. He is the kind of guy that if you want to play for him, you already know enough about him without even meeting him. And Spurrier isn't that active in recruiting. He relies mostly on assistants. He only gets involved in special cases when getting a certain play he feels is absolutely necessary. If he did it for everyone, it wouldn't be "special."

As far as filling our needs goes, we have positions every year that are a priority because of what we know we have there and what we don't. It's just a fact. Filling our needs means recruiting players at a position of need and that was we have to do and that is what we did.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #39
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

These facts means that he did not speak up that he had a problem with Spurrier not being there on his visit. If he did, something would have been set up through whatever coach he met with. He chose not to do that. He waited for 8-9 months or however long it was and complained about it in an article.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #40
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

If someone wants to meet Steve Spurrier it's because he is legendary and famous

How the hell do you know why some recruit, who you also don't know, wants to meet the Head Coach? Meeting the head coach is frequently very important during the recruiting process, it doesn't have to be in the initial part of the recruitment but it's often quite important to the recruit. If it wasn't head coaches wouldn't waste their time with it.

BTW your definition of filling a need is comical. Simply recruiting a player at a position of need. Holy crap. What about if that recruit never makes it into school, or just isn't very good. Have we still "filled our needs?"

You can believe this or not. I heard a USC Assistant Coach tell a person beside me on Feb 5th some brutally frank opinions on a couple of kids in this year's class. This may come as a shock to you but sometimes you just miss on players & go with the next available knowing all along it's a reach. The elite teams do this far less frequently than everybody else. We're doing it far, far less now than anytime in our history imo.