CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
b381l
GabbieM
NinjaSven
kingofnerf
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
Gyle41386
Order 66
So, Dylan Thompson? (5442)
Confused fan here. (3825)
Is anybody still opt (3661)
Here's a terrifying (2643)
Predict the Season ( (2448)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (1926)
Could Mike Davis Be (1348)
How were the Aggie f (1222)
David Williams?? (1159)
Will Gameday still c (938)
Could Mike Davis Be Back
Good crowd for volleyball
Step back from the ledge
Is anybody still optimist
So, Dylan Thompson?
Well, there's still women
Acock's Wrap Up: TAMU
Confused fan here. Why i
How were the Aggie fans a
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #41
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Nick Chubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
It's no big deal, we still oversigned and filled our needs a finished with a good class with limited numbers

To start with you have no idea if we "filled our needs" or not. Case in point, we desperately needed DE's. We signed 3 (4 if your count Wideman) of those 4 Sawyer has enrolled at Jr College, Thomas is a JUCO with past grade issues, Wideman has known grade issues. Maybe it works out, maybe not , but you certainly have no idea if it will or not. We wanted a big-time QB, missed on that & signed a developmental player according to every major recruiting service. Diamond in the rough? Maybe.

Spurrier & his staff are the best ever here. They certainly make mistakes like any other coaching staff. We take Connor Shaw, great move. We slow play & offer Q Davis a greyshirt & take Quinton Smith. Not such a great move. Nick Chubb doesn't come to our campus twice on his dime if he's not interested. He wanted to meet the head coach, didn't happen & he's gone. Maybe it made a difference, maybe not. BTW if meeting the head coach is such a meaningless exercise, why does Steve Spurrier fly all over the eastern half of the country to visit these recruits? Why does he have them into his office for meetings on their recruiting trips? I'll answer for you, many recruits want to meet the man in charge of the program they are considering.
Q.Davis was told that we were taking 3 receivers and he needed to get in early. He didn't and spots filled up. Smith was rated as high as Davis coming out of school so it wasn't a reach. Q.Davis slowed played us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #42
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

The same Steve Spurrier said to have done the Cha-Cha Slide for a recruit? Interesting
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #43
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan53186 View Post
Q.Davis was told that we were taking 3 receivers and he needed to get in early. He didn't and spots filled up. Smith was rated as high as Davis coming out of school so it wasn't a reach. Q.Davis slowed played us.

Who said anything about Davis or Smith being a reach? That was never in the conversation. Davis was the better prospect regardless of where they were ranked in high school. Had our coaches known that & were only going to take 3 they would have slow played another prospect or signed Davis anyway. They apparently didn't know that. That makes them human & like every other staff in the country. You hit some you miss some. I got no problem with that.

All you can ask of a staff is to do everything legal to sign the best class they can. Having one Jr Day, when most everybody else has multiple, and having some miscommunication when it comes to a 5* RB visiting your campus on his dime are things that might need some review. Can't change it now, just take a look at what happened & try to avoid a reoccurrence. Same with any other type business.

I bet UT's glad they didn't give up on Scott when everybody & their brother thought he was coming here.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #44
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Without blaming anybody, somebody dropped the ball here. To say we never had a chance means you haven't followed recruiting very long. Anytime you get a recruit on campus you have a shot.

Given the log jam at RB at UGA & given that Chubb made those two trips on his dime says a lot. USC put all their eggs in the Scott basket & it bit them in the azz.

With all that, SOS is the best coach in this school's history. Period. Everything's all right with the world when you're winning 11 a yr & dominating your rival. Just be aware of one thing, the margin for error is razor thin in this league. USC, like most every other team in this league, is never far away from 7-4. Just the reality whether we like it or not. At that point, things like the Chubb recruiting blunder will bring out many, not all, of the same people bitching and raising hell who say this is no big deal right now.

Let's also not forget we have yet to win an SEC Championship. To do that will likely require the complete package. 100% commitment to player development & 100% commitment to recruiting. See Nick Saban. He's at Alabama & has built-in advantages but he is also universally acknowledged as one of the hardest working guys out there. The results speak for themselves.

Bottom line, when a 5* recruit from a neighboring state who happened to grow up liking your program wants to visit. Do whatever it takes to make sure he gets to sit down with the Head Football Coach, at some point, if that is important to the recruit. Maybe they meet in SC, maybe they meet in GA. Makes no difference, just get it done & see what happens.
My sentiments exactly.. I know we love to say that UGA/Clemson consistently out-recruits us but we still win, but imagine what the teams could look like if our recruiting was on par with theirs? I know we finish with decent recruiting classes, but let's be honest that's because of two coaches Ward and Elliott... Recruiting has never been a huge priority for SOS, but he acknowledges it makes a difference, see his comments about Bama sitting out a year on the recruiting front..
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #45
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyGuy View Post
My sentiments exactly.. I know we love to say that UGA/Clemson consistently out-recruits us but we still win, but imagine what the teams could look like if our recruiting was on par with theirs? I know we finish with decent recruiting classes, but let's be honest that's because of two coaches Ward and Elliott... Recruiting has never been a huge priority for SOS, but he acknowledges it makes a difference, see his comments about Bama sitting out a year on the recruiting front..
C2 has made it clear that we are never going to recruit at that level no matter who is the coach. We have some limitations that are a lot to overcome at times

Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
C2 has made it clear that we are never going to recruit at that level no matter who is the coach. We have some limitations that are a lot to overcome at times

I ask this question seriously as a fellow gamecock fan(not being snarky at all), which limitatioons are they speaking of?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #47
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Agree. I refused to believe we can't be better. The staff has done a fine, fine job overall. We have not gotten over the top in the best league in America. Our coaches are our coaches & unless we expect the them to significantly improve then about what's left is getting better & better players for these same coaches to develop. I'm happy with where we are, but the minute you can't see areas that can be improved is the day you admit you've maxed out.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 05-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #48
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Quote:

IF C2 said we were never going to recruit at CU's level I would strongly disagree. I also doubt he said that but I could be wrong. We can absolutely recruit at a higher level than Clemson & likely will given our advantage in revenue/facilities.

UGA has a built-in demographic advantage. Large State, huge number of
prospects, & GT as the only other major in-state program. Out recruiting UGA on a consistent basis is unlikely. Same with UF.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #49
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agree. I refused to believe we can't be better. The staff has done a fine, fine job overall. We have not gotten over the top in the best league in America. Our coaches are our coaches & unless we expect the them to significantly improve then about what's left is getting better & better players for these same coaches to develop. I'm happy with where we are, but the minute you can't see areas that can be improved is the day you admit you've maxed out.
Kissing the rear end of every single recruit that we offer is not recruiting better. We have a certain recruiting style and strategy that we believe works. We do not do Pokemon got catchem all recruiting by rolling out the red carpet and feeding them a bunch of BS like the do in the upstate. If you like that style of recruiting better, than maybe you should find another team. We want guys that want to be hear for the right reason, not because we massaged their egos.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #50
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyGuy View Post
They are not out recruiting us, they are just recruiting different kinds of players that are just not right for us.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #51
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
If someone wants to meet Steve Spurrier it's because he is legendary and famous

How the hell do you know why some recruit, who you also don't know, wants to meet the Head Coach? Meeting the head coach is frequently very important during the recruiting process, it doesn't have to be in the initial part of the recruitment but it's often quite important to the recruit. If it wasn't head coaches wouldn't waste their time with it.

BTW your definition of filling a need is comical. Simply recruiting a player at a position of need. Holy crap. What about if that recruit never makes it into school, or just isn't very good. Have we still "filled our needs?"

You can believe this or not. I heard a USC Assistant Coach tell a person beside me on Feb 5th some brutally frank opinions on a couple of kids in this year's class. This may come as a shock to you but sometimes you just miss on players & go with the next available knowing all along it's a reach. The elite teams do this far less frequently than everybody else. We're doing it far, far less now than anytime in our history imo.
I don't have to know Chubb to know what his intentions are just have to know what his actions say. He wanted to meet Spurrier, but the didn't say anything about it, because at the end of the day he knew he was going to UGA anyway. If you can't see that, than you must have been born yesterday.

There IS NOT ONE DANG THING Steve Spurrier is going to say to Nick Chubb to his face that is going to convince Chubb to play for Carolina that our other coaches can not tell him. All Spurrier ever says is the same ol same ol. "We'd love to have you here, we're doing pretty good right now, you'll have a chance to play early, blah blah blah blah." That is how Steve Spurrier recruits, we are not going to right him 1000 letters, we are not going to make promises, or tell him he is going to be great. That is not our style. You bring up the Cha-cha slide with Lattimore, but that was not Spurrier's idea. Marcus's mother insisted.

Filling our recruiting needs means recruiting players in areas of need. We don't offer any players we don't think can make the team better and help us win. Some times the player is good enough to get an offer even if we have depth at the position. Chubb was good enough and so was Scott. We weren't going to take both though. And we were not going to give either of them the red carpet treatment like we have for some other rare players. We didn't want them THAT badly enough. Same thing for Q. Davis. Same thing for a lot of guys we miss on. We're okay with missing on some guys because we don't want guys that think they are better and more important than they are.

So good luck to Mr. Chubb at UGA. He has no regrets and neither should any Gamecock. Everyone needs to stop falling for the UGA Anti-Spurrier recruiting propaganda.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 05-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #52
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

You bring up the Cha-cha slide with Lattimore, but that was not Spurrier's idea. Marcus's mother insisted.

I did? Show me where I ever mentioned Marcus Lattimore in this thread. Show me where I ever mentioned a Cha-cha slide in any thread. Go ahead. I believe you're confused.....again.

As far as going to pull for another team. First Carolina Clemson game in 1965. Go to 10 games a year. Been in the Gamecock Club for 25+ yrs. What are your credentials for telling anyone to go pull for another team. I bet you do squat for this University.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #53
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
You bring up the Cha-cha slide with Lattimore, but that was not Spurrier's idea. Marcus's mother insisted.

I did? Show me where I ever mentioned Marcus Lattimore in this thread. Show me where I ever mentioned a Cha-cha slide in any thread. Go ahead. I believe you're confused.....again.
I am not confused. I this not a pm. I quoted you because in a response to every one who can read this thread and who are posting it because you quoted me.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #54
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:

As far as going to pull for another team. First Carolina Clemson game in 1965. Go to 10 games a year. Been in the Gamecock Club for 25+ yrs. What are your credentials for telling anyone to go pull for another team. I bet you do squat for this University.
Okay then don't go pull for another team, just stop bitching about how we recruit players. Because it's not going to change, because our coaches think this 100% the right way we need to be recruiting, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #55
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Do you travel to the home & away games consistently? Are you a even a Gamecock Club member? Are you an alumni? Season Tickets, you got them? I do all that & there are thousands who do more than me. I'm damn sure you ain't one of them.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #56
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Spurriers response "Nicky who?"

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #57
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

I think the recruiting will change sooner rather than later, see than BIG, PRETTY infrastructure around Willy B, up and down Bluff Road, and quite frankly in Downtown Columbia? Wasn't like that ten years ago. It's not because we all of a sudden want Columbia to have aesthetic beauty. It's to recruit students(not just athletes)(not just football athletes) to the University of South Carolina. Plus, in-state talent is being developed more than in recent memory. More camps, more little-league development..
Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #58
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

NM
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #59
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You don't think Bama is out recruiting us? Damn, I'll bet there aren't 100 people on the planet that agree with that. That might be the most ridiculous post in the history of the www. Congratulations.They're out recruiting us & damn near every other team you care to mention.

But I'll play along. They've won 3 NC in the past 5 yrs, we've won 1 Eastern Div Championship, they play in the tougher division & our recruiting is equal. What gives? Coaching?
Hard to disagree.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #60
Cocked & Locked
Recruit

Male

Cocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
All this about Chubb not getting to meet SOS is very old news. Frankly, I think this makes him look immature. He should have been paying more attention to his position coach and the other players in the class.
Seems like some people have their panties in a wad and absolutely have no clue about recruiting!

b381l is spot on and Chubb should more interested in his position coach then worrying about seeing HBC. He would have seen Spurrier plenty around when on campus but his position coach would have been his main go to guy and his father on campus.

Seems like Chubb needs to grow up a little and maybe Spurrier wasn't interested in changing diapers and baby sitting when he visited.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote