CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
MEL
auslander
sanford
MWard
ccured
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
The Yancey
WeStillOwnUSC
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1461)
Texags (1213)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1092)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Ace suspended 4 game (989)
Dawg DL man arrested (897)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (741)
Comporium (736)
Georgia DE Jonathan (613)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (604)
Texags
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
2015 - Traveon Samuel
2015 - Mon Denson
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Gamecock Showcase Attende
2015 - Zack Bailey
Another A&M aggie off
Ace suspended 4 games
2015 - Albert Huggins

Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #41
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Some post-Spring superlatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
That certainly is a whole lot of words but yes, we are in trouble with our defensive front, especially the ends.
the sky is not falling, and we are NOT in trouble with our defensive front.

now, that being said, i agree with ct that our de's have not been overly impressive thus far. however, i think that there is a good chance that wideman and thomas get it done, and play a lot of de for us this year. and i think both will be very good, especially with english and dixon rotating at the spot. david johnson is going to surprise a lot of people this year, and he will seem like he just came out of no where.

we are stacked at dt, lb and safety, and i mean stacked! we have several different types of players at all three positions, and all of them can play. i tend to agree with ct about the corners, and am excited about what that unit can do after fall camp. this defense is going to be a lot more talented than some people are thinking.

my biggest worry that ct touched on is thompson. while i like thompson, you can't help but like him, he is no connor. and people can say connor ran too much, or that he wasn't so accurate with his passes, or that he didn't pass enough... blah, blah, blah, blah... he won! he was a winner. he just knew how to get it done. and that is rare. dylan has not shown me that he has that. dylan throws a wtf ball way too often, and he is extremely susceptible to interceptions. how many times has he been intercepted this spring? to many times for my taste. i hope dylan comes out this year and breaks good records. i really do. but i am not sold that this is what is going to happen.

i am sold on our ol for this season, and our running game. that can carry us a long way. and IF dylan can take good care of the ball, and hit the wr's he is supposed to, we can have a terrific year.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #42
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
While I take issue with your suggestion last years D was superlative, I do agree that having Connor was a great benefit to the defense. Our run defense, particularly toward the end of the season ,was not good. It might have been average at best. However, other teams could not exploit it because we had a very good ball control offense. Connor running for third down and long conversions time and again will not reoccur with dillon at qb.
Hard to argue with any of that. Dylan will need to get rid of the ball & check down to the backs & TE's, much more so than Shaw, or sacks are going up. Good news is Adams & Anderson (if healthy) are physical mismatches for most teams & have been severely under utilized because we had a QB who could make play after play with his feet.

On defense, imo Ward is a terrific coach & his players play very hard for him. I just do not see any Ingram's, Clowney's, Gilmore's, or Taylor's on this unit right now. Hopefully by the end of the year some of the talented guys we have, like Moore & Surratt will emerge into elite defenders. Our LB did improve as the younger guys got more experience but I think that improvement has been overstated & we still got gnashed fairly consistently thru the middle. Stopping the run & creating a pass rush are more concerning to me than pass defense even having to replace 2 corners.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #43
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Thompson will certainly not be a scrambler, but he is quick enough to run zone read keepers and Qb draws.
IMO, this is key. We need not abandon the Connor Shaw offense...let Dylan run his version of it. That dimension relieves pressure from the passing game due to the other team's defense having to play heavy run defense. Connor exploited this over and over...they took away our inside running lanes and passing lanes, but the QB keeper outside was open and we won 33 games in 3 years extending drives and not throwing INTs with those QB keepers going outside.
The smarter we've played on offense, the more games we have won....some pretty, some not.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #44
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
IMO, this is key. We need not abandon the Connor Shaw offense...let Dylan run his version of it. That dimension relieves pressure from the passing game due to the other team's defense having to play heavy run defense. Connor exploited this over and over...they took away our inside running lanes and passing lanes, but the QB keeper outside was open and we won 33 games in 3 years extending drives and not throwing INTs with those QB keepers going outside.
The smarter we've played on offense, the more games we have won....some pretty, some not.
Also many times we overlook the passes to the backs. Davis catches and runs well (even the middle screen, which I hate). Wilds is good in the flats, and has apparently worked on his elusiveness. Carson and Williams have excellent speed, with Williams also showing good vision.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote