CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
sanford
b381l
Copperhead
ConwayGamecock
GregoryHouse
Venables to TAMU? (3890)
Vegas line moving on (2688)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2556)
Clemson fans (2510)
Phil Kronblut show (1331)
Arkansas... (1174)
Women's Soccer Elite (969)
End of the aTm / LSU (892)
Anyone know what thi (784)
Have we been favored (696)
Texans getting frustrated
Tailgating tomorrow for t
Arkansas...
Vegas line moving on game
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Venables to TAMU?
Clemson fans
Constant Updates on Watso
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh

Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Call, Bruce Ellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
And Bruce was already an exceptional talent that was able to line up at pretty much any skill position and excel in high school.

Whats your point?
My point is some of those guys didn't necessarily get drafted because of the coaching they received from Spurrier Jr.

I'm neither one to praise the WR coach nor to condemn him, but I thought it might be worth pointing out a potential flaw in the thinking behind that particular post. If one of our guys who is coached by Jr. makes it to the NFL but doesn't have an innate ability to make plays (Rice, Jeffery, Sanders, and Ellington), then the statement would have more value.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
bhs04
high motor

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
I'm sure he's talking about the downtown area, not North 52. Six is about right.
I was joking man.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
Gamecock303
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
There are more than 6 red lights in moncks corner!

Like 10 or 12!
Im getting 8 by my count.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Bruce will be awesome in the NFL.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I never expected Bruce to be so sure-handed, run such great routes, and make the spectacular catch so often. When he sigened a lot were talking about him playing defense on football and basketball. The guy's game is impressive. He deserves to go in a high round.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #26
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

The best part of that was hearing Bruce say how great it was to hear the crowd call his name and how pumped up it got him. That's pure gold right there.
FanofCarolina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
For as much as folks on here complain about Jr as a WR coach, he has put a lot of WRs in the league. Kenny, Sidney, Alshon, Jared Cook, Ace and now Bruce.
I think people were complaining more about his playcalling. I'm not sure why he was delegated play calling duties for that short time period. I think it was by committee or something.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
My point is some of those guys didn't necessarily get drafted because of the coaching they received from Spurrier Jr.

I'm neither one to praise the WR coach nor to condemn him, but I thought it might be worth pointing out a potential flaw in the thinking behind that particular post. If one of our guys who is coached by Jr. makes it to the NFL but doesn't have an innate ability to make plays (Rice, Jeffery, Sanders, and Ellington), then the statement would have more value.

Sorry you are so hard to please. I think he did a fine job with them. There have been many highly recruited WRs who don't perform in college. I just recall seeing the WR coach for Jacksonville commenting on the precision that Ace ran his patterns. Plus Kenny and Bruce were QBs in high school not WRs. Someone taught them how to play. Sidney had talent but wasn't highly recruited out of HS. Anyway, I have seen a number of posts hear criticizing Jr. as a poor WR coach. Just pointing out he was doing ok.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Quote:

JR doesn't get 5 * recruits every year like Alabama, FSU, OSU, etc. He does more with less. He develops guys over time to become good route runners and puts them in positions to make big plays.

Think about all those WR's that walk in to the traditional power programs and don't even see the field. I don't know that Ace Sanders makes it to the NFL if he goes to Bama. Same with Bruce.

I think he does a fantastic job at WR development.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #30
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
JR doesn't get 5 * recruits every year like Alabama, FSU, OSU, etc. He does more with less. He develops guys over time to become good route runners and puts them in positions to make big plays.

Think about all those WR's that walk in to the traditional power programs and don't even see the field. I don't know that Ace Sanders makes it to the NFL if he goes to Bama. Same with Bruce.

I think he does a fantastic job at WR development.
I don't think it was "more with less." Those guys were naturals, they just needed a little practice and tweaking to really realize their potential that may have not been that obvious in HS.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #31
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Oh look, a thread about a youtube video has turned into an assessment of our wide receivers coach. Who'd a thunk it?

Awesome video!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #32
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Well, to be fair...its a video regarding his upcoming selection in the NFL draft.

One could argue that basketball highlights could further demonstrate his athleticism, but even still...it makes complete sense to focus on the sport that he is going pro in.
Seems like most of the highlights were from his high school days, or just showed him running the stadium. Did they even show any of his amazing, big-time USC receptions?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #33
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

I wish him the best. All those clutch catches.....damn.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #34
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm indifferent, but to be fair, Rice and Jeffery were already great talents, Cook was/is a TE, and Sanders was picked up more because of his abilities in the return game.
What kind of point are you making, most players that go in the NFL today were already great talents including Sanders and Ellington who were as highly ranked as both Rice and Jeffery although Ellington was a basketball/QB prospect.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #35
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Please give us an example of a player drafted without the innate ability to make plays?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #36
Talon1
4-Star

Male

Talon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Please give us an example of a player drafted without the innate ability to make plays?
I think you just stumped him.
Talon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #37
Talon1
4-Star

Male

Talon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervousTalon1 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I'm still hearing crickets...
Talon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #38
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

I'd get a bruce elllington shirt
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #39
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
What kind of point are you making, most players that go in the NFL today were already great talents including Sanders and Ellington who were as highly ranked as both Rice and Jeffery although Ellington was a basketball/QB prospect.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon1 View Post
I think you just stumped him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon1 View Post
I'm still hearing crickets...
You guys are making too much of my comment. I'm trying to keep the thread from getting hijacked any more than it already has. My first two posts in the thread were about Bruce. I eventually responded to someone who tried to make the thread about something else by simply saying Jr. didn't have to do too much with the guys the poster named. That apparently caused you guys to get defensive over a coach, even though I wasn't attacking him. Let me restate one of my comments so maybe you understand it a little better.

Look at Sammy Watkins. He's going to be a very high pick in the draft because of his natural ability, not because of the coaching he received while at CU. Some guys just have "it" when it comes to making plays, and the receivers the poster I responded to named all do, so it's not saying a lot about Jr.'s coaching ability to point out those players have been successful.

Now look at a player like Wes Welker. His natural playmaking ability is less than someone like Bruce (meaning he might not make some of the circus-style catches Bruce has at times), yet he has been successful because of his commitment to fundamentals and striving to understand the game. He runs really good routes and understands defenses, and he uses that to his advantage more than natural athletic ability. Am I saying Welker doesn't have ability? No, that would be ridiculous, but his overall athleticism probably isn't on par with guys like Alshon, Sidney, Ace (who, again, was picked up because of his return prowess), and now Bruce.

Now if we can get back to the topic at hand, I really hope Bruce gets picked up in the second round. I obviously wish he could sneak into the first round, but I don't think that's likely.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #40
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
Im getting 8 by my count.
I think its actually like 14

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote