CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MountainCock
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
Outland
The Yancey
taylorssc
RGHoskins
smoovecock
The Gator Bowl wants (1993)
USC will upset Aubur (1576)
In-state QB talent (1271)
In-state QB talent (968)
Texas athletic direc (740)
Which loss hurt wors (724)
Ranking the SEC Foot (582)
USC Picked 12th By S (512)
Rank the QBs under S (469)
BA ranks recruiting (454)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Who start on the d line t
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Thoughts on the basketbal
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Google finally gets it ri
Ranking the SEC Football
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
lack of production=

Old 05-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #161
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2015 Commitment - Lorenzo Nunez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
And you don't think we are going to take another QB this year or next? He is a top 10 dual threat QB, not a top 10 QB. Mostly because of his legs.
We are not going after any other QBs.

Kid is a QB, he has the tools to do well here as a QB.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #162
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
We are not going after any other QBs.

Kid is a QB, he has the tools to do well here as a QB.
He is a good QB. And he can be an even better WR, and maybe we don't go after another QB maybe we do. Next year we will. We take one every year. He won't see the field until 2017 if decides he is going to be a QB. A waste of talent if you ask me.

And he is a 190 lbs. How many 190 lbs QBs do you know?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #163
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

What needs to be pointed out is that nothing has been guaranteed to Connor Mitch right now. If he doesn't play much this year (a real possibility) then the competition in the Spring is wide open with a bunch of inexperienced QBs.

I have not heard if Nunez is an early enrollee candidate but if he is, he gets to compete from Day 1 and who knows how fast he can pass Nosovitch, Scarnecchia, and Orth.

Given our projected Offensive Tackle status next season, Nunez might have to play out of necessity if he ended up passing Nosovitch on the depth chart or Nosovitch transferred out. Historically and ideally under Spurrier, true freshmen QBs don't play much or any but next year might be different depending on our offensive line situation.

Nunez is a project in terms of his fundamental (throwing motion and release are awkward right now) but those are things that Coach Spurrier and Coach Mangus are going to fix anyway. They do it to all of the QBs. All of our QBs hold the ball and pretty much throw it the same way.

While I'm not as high on Nunez as a passer as other people are, I do think he has a chance to play very early because of his legs.

I also think people need to quit anointing Connor Mitch as the successor because its not etched in stone.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #164
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
And he is a 190 lbs. How many 190 lbs QBs do you know?
He is a rising senior in high school. He will gain 20-30 pounds while at Carolina and get into the 215-220 range like all of our QBs typically are.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #165
TaiwanCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
TaiwanCock has hatched from the shell
Default Re: 2015 - Lorenzo Nunez

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
JC Shurburtt had some very detailed information tonight on Nunez and a number of other players. Long story short, after speaking with NC State people, SC coaches and Nunez family members, he and the SC people would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't pick Carolina and soon. The main reason is the family has a very good comfort level with Magnus and SOS. As some of you know, Wimbush picked PSU tonight. JC said he talked with a college coach who said Nunez and Wimbush were almost equal but Wimbush had a slightly better arm.

Great "get." Top 10 dual threat QB. And for those who wonder if he is raw, don't forget that it is very hard to start for Spurrier as a freshman anyway. Spurrier and Mangus seem to like to rework the mechanics of their new QBS regardless, and it takes forever and a day to learn our playback and get the timing / routes down.

No. 1 QB out of Georgia. Why wasn't UGA more involved, or was he sure he wanted to leave the state? Sounds like Shaw's success (both as a dual threat QB and as a native of Georgia) at Carolina made a huge impression on him and his family.

Last edited by TaiwanCock; 05-09-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
TaiwanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #166
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
What needs to be pointed out is that nothing has been guaranteed to Connor Mitch right now. If he doesn't play much this year (a real possibility) then the competition in the Spring is wide open with a bunch of inexperienced QBs.

I have not heard if Nunez is an early enrollee candidate but if he is, he gets to compete from Day 1 and who knows how fast he can pass Nosovitch, Scarnecchia, and Orth.

Given our projected Offensive Tackle status next season, Nunez might have to play out of necessity if he ended up passing Nosovitch on the depth chart or Nosovitch transferred out. Historically and ideally under Spurrier, true freshmen QBs don't play much or any but next year might be different depending on our offensive line situation.

Nunez is a project in terms of his fundamental (throwing motion and release are awkward right now) but those are things that Coach Spurrier and Coach Mangus are going to fix anyway. They do it to all of the QBs. All of our QBs hold the ball and pretty much throw it the same way.

While I'm not as high on Nunez as a passer as other people are, I do think he has a chance to play very early because of his legs.

I also think people need to quit anointing Connor Mitch as the successor because its not etched in stone.
And it's not guaranteed that we wo't get an even higher rated QB in 2016. Btw, what happened to that other little QB down in GA we were supposed to get. Johnson or something? It just goes to show that someone better can always come along, especially this early in the recruiting season. We aren't done recruiting QBs in the class because there is still a long way to go.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #167
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:

I was about to type out about 90% of this before I read your response.

This kid could turn out to be a great QB, a great WR, or a complete bust. But there's only one way to find out....wait. And I'll support him in any role as a Gamecock until it happens.

A lot of college players play HS QB because they're the most athletic person on the field and the coaches want the ball with them the most. We've had great success in getting some turn into quality WRs. I'm sure this kid will contribute in some fashion.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #168
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
And it's not guaranteed that we wo't get an even higher rated QB in 2016. Btw, what happened to that other little QB down in GA we were supposed to get. Johnson or something? It just goes to show that someone better can always come along, especially this early in the recruiting season. We aren't done recruiting QBs in the class because there is still a long way to go.
Kevin Johnson, he wants to come here, however the feeling is not mutual.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #169
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

Quote:

I agree 100%. The videos I've watched show me he has a strong arm and great running ability. His mechanics are wonky and, while he seems to be able to "throw receivers open", he also throws into double coverage. All these are fixable if he is mentally tough enough to handle the HBC. We have had some good success with dual-threat QB's from Georgia recently!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #170
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
I was about to type out about 90% of this before I read your response.

This kid could turn out to be a great QB, a great WR, or a complete bust. But there's only one way to find out....wait. And I'll support him in any role as a Gamecock until it happens.

A lot of college players play HS QB because they're the most athletic person on the field and the coaches want the ball with them the most. We've had great success in getting some turn into quality WRs. I'm sure this kid will contribute in some fashion.

JD
about half our WR and DBs were QBs in high school over the last several years. That is why I am not sure at all what is going to happen. He has a protypical wide receiver body and moves. He reminds me of a taller Roland with a better arm.
I don't see any guarantees here one way or another.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #171
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Connor Shaw was not highly thought of as a passer when he came to USC, and he hadn't spent as much time as a QB in HS as Nunez has and will. Rivals and 247Sports considers him the top prep QB in GA regardless of skill type. I will trust in the coaches and give them the chance to improve his passing skills...
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #172
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Kevin Johnson was never offered by Coach Mangus or Coach Spurrier. It was by another staff member.

The #1 target was Wimbush, #2 was Nunez.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #173
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
about half our WR and DBs were QBs in high school over the last several years. That is why I am not sure at all what is going to happen. He has a protypical wide receiver body and moves. He reminds me of a taller Roland with a better arm.
I don't see any guarantees here one way or another.
You say you aren't sure what will happen but you are screaming Wide Receiver in your other post.

The difference between Nunez and Cooper/Googer/Lammons is that Nunez is on the board as a QB. They others were not.

Quit trolling.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #174
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
You say you aren't sure what will happen but you are screaming Wide Receiver in your other post.

The difference between Nunez and Cooper/Googer/Lammons is that Nunez is on the board as a QB. They others were not.

Quit trolling.
Trolling? No. Just drooling over him as a WR. He's a better WR prospect than Neal, Bowman, or maybe even better than Roland was. He is not going to have easy competition as QB here. We will recruit one a year like we always do his chances to be the next "Connor Shaw" here are not fantastic. We put way more WR in the NFL than QBs and they get drafted much higher. Shaw will be lucky to be a seventh round draft pick.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #175
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Trolling? No. Just drooling over him as a WR. He's a better WR prospect than Neal, Bowman, or maybe even better than Roland was.
Drooling over a kid that has not really played WR to play WR?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #176
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Drooling over a kid that has not really played WR to play WR?
He played as much WR as Shaq Roland did at this point. Bruce Ellington didn't play WR until college. I think Shaq Davidson played one year at WR than played the last two at QB. What about Pharoh Cooper? MVP QB of the Shrine game?

Didn't Shamier Jeffery insist he was a QB and was going to go to Kentucky but then he changed his mind? Things like this have a way of working themselves out.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #177
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

Quote:
He played as much WR as Shaq Roland did at this point. Bruce Ellington didn't play WR until college. I think Shaq Davidson played one year at WR than played the last two at QB. What about Pharoh Cooper? MVP QB of the Shrine game?

Didn't Shamier Jeffery insist he was a QB and was going to go to Kentucky but then he changed his mind? Things like this have a way of working themselves out.
Gaffney guy here. SD took over at QB after a rough start to the 2013 season and a much needed change to the offense. He lead us to another State Title (Go Indians!) his Jr. year in a read-option offense that was really run heavy. He had a fair 2013 campaign. SD is much more of a WR than QB. Just does not have the arm for it.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #178
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

FYI, The State says Nunez is not an EE and will not be around for spring practice.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #179
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Trolling? No. Just drooling over him as a WR. He's a better WR prospect than Neal, Bowman, or maybe even better than Roland was. He is not going to have easy competition as QB here. We will recruit one a year like we always do his chances to be the next "Connor Shaw" here are not fantastic. We put way more WR in the NFL than QBs and they get drafted much higher. Shaw will be lucky to be a seventh round draft pick.
I don't get how you can see him as a wide receiver when all his tape is at QB? The guy can obviously throw the ball well enough to play QB in college and Our coaching staff wouldn't be telling him they want him as a QB if they didn't feel he could play that position for us. And as far as the competition goes, this is the SEC if the kid is afraid of competition at his position then he doesn't belong in this league.

Athletic QB's are taking over college football. Spurrier is no dummy, he understands that having a guy that can extend plays with his legs changes how a defense has to play you.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #180
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yeah, it basically is. The guy has been throwing with the first and second team since almost a year and a half ago. Everyone knows he is the successor, that was why he was asked to come play here.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote