CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Badazcock
gamecockgal
gadeneer1986
b381l
Order 66
kingoftheroost
garnet_black215
Ahmad
DTGCOCKS#32
10-2 (1831)
UK promoting a black (1722)
Four UK Players Susp (1305)
Coach Gaines: " (1072)
I Was Dealing With T (992)
Build a New Stadium (883)
Connor Shaw's fault. (741)
Since everyone loves (562)
QB Recruiting Strate (536)
This program has no (487)
Nosovitch
Build a New Stadium
Would You Accept Lame Kif
This program has no ideni
Exhibition game announced
Connor Mitch
Hottest seat in CFB?
Defer Or Not?
I Was Dealing With The Lo
State talent drying up

Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in
Default Re: Why wasn't Spurrier at Draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
We're not running an adoption agency for old boys. We're looking for grown men who are driven to win championship and don't need a babysitter to keep them in line.
First I disagree hardily with your inference. No we r not running an adoption agency nor to my knowlege is any other program. yes our goal is to one day win a championship of one sort or another. I believe that is the goal of each program with out regard to how many, if any, currently stand in thier case.
I firmly disagree with the remaining two points noted in your statement.... We are not looking for grown men. The youngsters who sign with us do not meet the criteria for today's "grown man". They are not self sufficient, nor self directed nor are they seeking to be so. The very act of accepting a schoolie with which they place themselves under the purview of school admin and staff in exchange for guidence, development and education, be in FB, academics or both demonstrate that.
They are not men as football players either, indeed possibly the most outstanding aspect of the SS program is in player development, physically, technically and in understanding the game and what it takes to become ones best... to become "grown men"
lastly not sure how your statement, be it accurate in it's conjecture or no, applies to my statement?? How so?
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #42
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

For all we know, Spurrier is kicked back drinking a beer somewhere with Connor Shaw
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #43
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Notice how much he stayed out of the picture once Clowney was drafted. He didn't make it a point to make a big scene with him when it happened like certain coaches from a certain school did.
Yea, Nick Saban loves that stuff.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #44
jellafever
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Have you ever saw Spurrier at the draft before? I never seent it.
jellafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #45
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

He's probably at TPC with his shirt off.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #46
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Ok so I had another typo.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #47
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Check out the interview Clowney did with Ed Werder of ESPN:

http://search.espn.go.com/clowney/

Werder asked Clowney about SOS's comments on his work ethic. Clowney responded that Coach was never at practice, so he was surprised SOS made those comments.

I respect that SOS doesn't try to be fake and act like he had some kind of fatherly relationship with JD. SOS doesn't get very close to defensive players. We all know that. Whammy was the right person to be there.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #48
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Check out the interview Clowney did with Ed Werder of ESPN:

http://search.espn.go.com/clowney/

Werder asked Clowney about SOS's comments on his work ethic. Clowney responded that Coach was never at practice, so he was surprised SOS made those comments.

I respect that SOS doesn't try to be fake and act like he had some kind of fatherly relationship with JD. SOS doesn't get very close to defensive players. We all know that. Whammy was the right person to be there.
Your link doesn't do the trick...it's here: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10909791

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #49
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Better go listen again. He didn't say SOS was never at practice. He said Spurrier was never on his side of the practice field.

That is very different from saying he was never at practice. Very, very different.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #50
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post

Better go listen again. He didn't say SOS was never at practice. He said Spurrier was never on his side of the practice field.

That is very different from saying he was never at practice. Very, very different.
Did you read the rest of my post? We all know that SOS coaches the offense and Whammy coaches the defense.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #51
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Did you read the rest of my post? We all know that SOS coaches the offense and Whammy coaches the defense.
Right but he is still right, i was a bit confused by your post.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #52
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(saw)

JD
he was joking
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #53
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

There was absolutely no reason for Spurrier to go to the draft

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #54
splinters
Recruit

Male

splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous

Sumlin was there
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #55
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

HBC was there for the players when they were at South Carolina. This is personal time for family and friends. He probably doesn't feel it's his place to horn in on their time.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #56
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwylie View Post
SOS did go to NY when Danny Wuerffel was awarded the Heisman in 1996. That is a bit different though IMHO. I think he is just not the media hound that some other coaches are.
Aren't most heisman winning alumnis there every year?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #57
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Welp, <sucktooth>, I just wanted to give fans something to wet their pants over so I said Ja-DAY-vee-on...I'm gonna go hit 18 today,,,you'll be ok...just hit Taj one last time...tell Sammy that Dawn says that she got more TD's in the Brice then he did.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:17 AM   #58
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Spurrier's relationship with Clowney has always seemed businesslike. I recall the interview where Spurrier said we should thank JD for coming to Carolina, and my immediate thought was it sounded oddly removed and transactional. I don't for one minute believe Spurrier was even remotely close to JD, and I'm sure he's always viewed the situation as a quick 3-and-done. I don't think Spurrier ever gets emotionally invested in many players at all...he's f###ing Steve Superior!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #59
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Good Lord.

Who cares that Spurrier wasn't at the draft. I can promise you that Steve Spurrier cares plenty about his players. Him not being there has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Here's something to think about. The guy is pushing 70 years old. Maybe, just maybe, he spends his offseason around the house with family, and playing some golf here and there. Other coaches are there as a recruiting tool. Nothing else. Spurrier has said countless times that he will not outwork other coaches. I believe this is much ado about nothing.

The fact that this thread is still going, and the fact that some of our own fans are saying Spurrier should have been there, is a joke. Our coaching staff was represented there....by Lorenzo Ward.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #60
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

So was Dabo there when Taj was drafted?? you can't play favorites with your players... what kind of message does that send to the undrafted players and the recruits? Hey if you are a star...we are there for you otherwise good luck...---also as mentioned this is the players time to shine and have the spotlight, it is not the time for a recruiting photo op..by the coaches...