CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Gamecocks1137
MountainCock
WeStillOwnUSC
thekob
kingoftheroost
El Cid Ranger
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
Regalcock
Skai Moore out for U (1074)
Troubles in Tigertow (743)
TN game weather (739)
Lebron makes Clevela (644)
Who is your favorite (547)
Cockaboose Video (462)
Marvel releases movi (292)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (249)
FSU vs. Louisville (207)
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ S (158)
Who is your favorite play
Uniforms for Tenn
Interesting quotes from D
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Michigan AD Dave Brandon
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2

Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default If Connor Shaw's passing stats had been higher?

Do you think he would have been drafted in 4th or 5th rounds? I am still completely clueless as to how NFL GM's and scouts can ignore a 24 TD to 1 INT season. So if he would have say, passed for 1,000 more yards or so, would he have received a better look from scouts? Or did Clowney's fame and presence really overshadow everyone else just that much?
As you can see, I have a lot of questions.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Re: If Connor Shaw's passing stats had been higher?

Really, it boils down to mechanics, decision making and arm strength. being successful in college does not mean you will be a successful NFL quarterback. See Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Blaine Gabbert and a ton of other guys. The game is much faster, so you have to get the ball out quick. It's very difficult. You have to have a quick release because DE's, LB's and DT's are all top of the top and are swiping at it.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1072
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I can't understand why GM's can turn their heads on a QB who is undefeated as a starter in Bowl games. Has defeated other SEC and ACC QB's consecutively that were drafted, is a hard worker and no off the field issues. I understand they think his durability and height is a question mark, but c'mon so is Mettenberger. The only difference is that he is 6'4.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It's a size not stat issue with Shaw. His height, weight and hand size are all red flags for the NFL. I hope he gets a fair shake in Cleveland but that just doesn't seem like a good situation and fit for him.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Really, it boils down to mechanics, decision making and arm strength. being successful in college does not mean you will be a successful NFL quarterback. See Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Blaine Gabbert and a ton of other guys. The game is much faster, so you have to get the ball out quick. It's very difficult. You have to have a quick release because DE's, LB's and DT's are all top of the top and are swiping at it.
This
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand that. What I don't understand is how people can come to that conclusion before he has a chance to prove himself. If he would have went anywhere else I feel like he could have had the chance. But behind Manziel in Cleveland is just insane. He really got a sh*t deal.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

I was really hoping Harbaugh was going to give Connor a chance at San Francisco. The Niners are not deep at QB. Behind Kap, they have two average QBs in Bethel-Thompson and newly acquired Blaine Gabbert.

Niner's offense fits Connor's strengths. He would of been worth a look for SF.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

I think arm strength was the biggest factor in him not being drafted. Of course, his size hurt too, but Manziel isn't much bigger than Connor. The difference is Manziel can throw the ball 50 yards with a flick of his wrist, while Connor needs to run into a throw of that distance. I'm glad Connor is getting a shot with an NFL team, but I don't think Cleveland was an ideal situation for him.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Do you think he would have been drafted in 4th or 5th rounds? I am still completely clueless as to how NFL GM's and scouts can ignore a 24 TD to 1 INT season. So if he would have say, passed for 1,000 more yards or so, would he have received a better look from scouts? Or did Clowney's fame and presence really overshadow everyone else just that much?
His stats were fine. It was arm strength and height that kill him. More arm strength than anything.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
His stats were fine. It was arm strength and height that kill him. More arm strength than anything.
I have a question about that, and I have had it for a while. IF he or anyone else lacks arm strength throwing a football, why can't he just improve his strength in his arms, lifting weights, and gaining muscle.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
GREENVILLE COCKPIT
Injured Reserved

Male

CockyCash: 32257
GREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I can't understand why GM's can turn their heads on a QB who is undefeated as a starter in Bowl games. Has defeated other SEC and ACC QB's consecutively that were drafted, is a hard worker and no off the field issues. I understand they think his durability and height is a question mark, but c'mon so is Mettenberger. The only difference is that he is 6'4.
Hard to figure, but I thought a few of the other SEC qbs. would go higher. I figured he would go as a free agent, but honestly thought it would be better than Cleveland. & also with a team that didn't draft a qb. I was hoping with a very good qb that he could learn good mechanics from ! But hey maybe this is just a stepping stone for Connor, he can prove himself and another or maybe much better team will pick him up later.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm by no means a tebow apologist but did win a play off game

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

All he needed was one team to take the chance.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
where is Tim Tebow
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
where is Tim Tebow
What does that have to do with anything? If your talking mechanics, Connor Shaw did not and does not throw the ball or release it like Tim Tebow.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
I have a question about that, and I have had it for a while. IF he or anyone else lacks arm strength throwing a football, why can't he just improve his strength in his arms, lifting weights, and gaining muscle.
Just like I can't lift weights to throw a 90 mph fast ball. You have to be born with a gift. You can do things to improve it but you have to a physical talent to be able to throw a 3 step drop out. From what I've heard Connor can't do that. Not bashing him because I think he can play in the NFL under the right system. It's the something that hurts Tahj.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post
I think arm strength was the biggest factor in him not being drafted. Of course, his size hurt too, but Manziel isn't much bigger than Connor. The difference is Manziel can throw the ball 50 yards with a flick of his wrist, while Connor needs to run into a throw of that distance. I'm glad Connor is getting a shot with an NFL team, but I don't think Cleveland was an ideal situation for him.
Connor is actually taller than Manziel by a little bit.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1072
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENVILLE COCKPIT View Post
Hard to figure, but I thought a few of the other SEC qbs. would go higher. I figured he would go as a free agent, but honestly thought it would be better than Cleveland. & also with a team that didn't draft a qb. I was hoping with a very good qb that he could learn good mechanics from ! But hey maybe this is just a stepping stone for Connor, he can prove himself and another or maybe much better team will pick him up later.
I totally agree.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Improving his arm strength is not about lifting weights. It's about stretching out those quick twitch muscles. Bigger arms don't mean more arm strength unless you are doing throwing drills to improve those other muscles too. Can he improve it? Yes, some. He'll never have the arm strength of Drew Brees but he can have the arm strength of an average QB in the league and that's good enough to have a long career.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
What's surprising to you? The NFL is a passing league right now, and Connor doesn't have the stats or measurables. Sure he's a winner, and sure he's a hard working Christian guy, SO WHAT? The NFL wants guys that look good on paper.