CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
ZenUSC
The Yancey
5lbYardcock
18IsTheMan
GH
conwaycock2
StormOfTalons
garnet_black215
b381l
Gamecock football Lo (2078)
Shaw: Check Out This (1937)
Mike Davis "dou (1790)
Gamecocks D staff re (1212)
who thinks we need a (960)
The Demise of the 3- (916)
Pirate Depth Chart (853)
Past SEC Champions w (623)
Reginald Bowens (594)
Why didn't Wes Green (350)
East Carolina Prediction
Eastern Michigan's Concre
Past SEC Champions who ha
SOS Teleconference
Mike Davis "doubtful
New app: South Carolina G
Pirate Depth Chart
Labor Day Weekend Eats
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Gamecocks claimed and re-

Old 05-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #41
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw is a Cleveland Brown!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
53 tickets to the superbowl is a ton of money.
Good thing I wasn't taking a drink right then or you'd owe me a new keyboard

BTW don't forget the coaching staff & front office too
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #42
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

It is kind of funny that he is sitting behind another Garcia-like player.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #43
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
It is kind of funny that he is sitting behind another Garcia-like player.
I think its funny that Garcia gets dawged like he was the worst player we ever had, when considering the things people like Weslye Saunders did.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #44
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
I was hoping that he'd get drafted, but at least he'll be able to say he participated in pro football after all is said and done. Free agent qb's never get a chance to truly develop. The high draft pick's will always get all of the primary snaps/meaningful work, and Connor will be a pass-drill mule unless he absolutely goes off in training camp.
I think that depends on the coaching staff. Kurt Warner and Tony Romo were undrafted free agents. It worked out pretty well for those guys. Cleveland's incumbent Brian Hoyer was once an undrafted free agent for the Patriots. There are many other examples of undrafted free agent quarterbacks making it, at least as veteran backups.

Like others here, I'm not crazy about Cleveland as a fit, and Connor has his work cut out for him, but I think he will, at the very least, make the practice squad. That would buy him more time to impress with his work ethic, intangibles, and underrated talent.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #45
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
If you look in the original Shaw thread, I called this - Manziel first then Connor to the Browns. I follow the Browns closely and this makes tons of sense. He'll make the 53 after Young and maybe Thigpen are cut. Brian Hoyer will be there, too. Offense will not miss much of a beat if Connor he subs JFF. That team needed a media splash and got it with JFF. Also needed gritty depth at QB and got that with Shaw. The entire organization is getting aggressively overhauled in a big way and will contend within in the next 3-5 years.
I don't follow the Browns too closely, but agree with your logic. Makes a lot of sense to bring in a guy like Connor with a great work ethic and similar playing style to Manziel. Wouldn't even be the first time in 3 years that a team went into the season with a Rookie starter and backup QB. Just look at the skins with RGIII and Cousins. Hmm, I wonder who the offensive coordinator was for the Redskins that year? Kyle Shannahan maybe? The Browns current OC. Probably doesn't want to have to make a second play book for when Manziel gets hurt.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #46
Senior Rooster
Walk On

Male

Senior Rooster has feathers coming inSenior Rooster has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I don't follow the Browns too closely, but agree with your logic. Makes a lot of sense to bring in a guy like Connor with a great work ethic and similar playing style to Manziel. Wouldn't even be the first time in 3 years that a team went into the season with a Rookie starter and backup QB. Just look at the skins with RGIII and Cousins. Hmm, I wonder who the offensive coordinator was for the Redskins that year? Kyle Shannahan maybe? The Browns current OC. Probably doesn't want to have to make a second play book for when Manziel gets hurt.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day. .[/quote]

WOW!
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #47
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 616
uscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I was hoping that Connor would have went to Seattle. As stated before, Cleveland was the absolute WORST possible landing spot for him. It's like picking the shortest straw.

The only thing I can see here is the Browns organization using Connor as a motivator for JM because they know Connor is going to work his ass off. Also even if Shaw has a better training camp than Manziel, he'll still most likely get cut.
That^ The Browns know Connor does everything right - watches film, works out in the weight room, practices hard, works on getting better and better, and he stays out of trouble. Connor could coach JM to be better on and off the field.
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #48
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Sounds like browns are going zone read and now have both a starting and backup qb to build the offense around. Wonder how JF will adapt to being backup? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #49
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Sounds like browns are going zone read and now have both a starting and backup qb to build the offense around. Wonder how JF will adapt to being backup? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I spit my coffee out at that, funny.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #50
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Weird thing is that OTHER teams were interested in Connor and I know the temptation is to take the "bird in the hand" but I don't think Connor will last the pre-season on the Browns team. Doubt that he'll get more than a cursory look. The Browns' fans are so wrapped up in Johnny Football that I doubt Connor ever sees the field unless Manziel get's hurt.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #51
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
Weird thing is that OTHER teams were interested in Connor and I know the temptation is to take the "bird in the hand" but I don't think Connor will last the pre-season on the Browns team. Doubt that he'll get more than a cursory look. The Browns' fans are so wrapped up in Johnny Football that I doubt Connor ever sees the field unless Manziel get's hurt.

I feel the same way. With Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen also on the roster (and both have started NFL games), I am not sure what Connor's agent was thinking. That is a bunch for Connor to overcome. Good news is that Vince and Tyler have bigger contracts so that might make them the first to go in a cost conscious NFL.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #52
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I feel the same way. With Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen also on the roster (and both have started NFL games), I am not sure what Connor's agent was thinking. That is a bunch for Connor to overcome. Good news is that Vince and Tyler have bigger contracts so that might make them the first to go in a cost conscious NFL.
Thigpen and Young will get cut. It'll be Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw in that order week 1.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #53
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
Thigpen and Young will get cut. It'll be Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw in that order week 1.
Do the Browns usually keep 3 QBs on their 53 man roster or will Shaw be on practice squad? I know with the Saints, they usually just keep 2 on the 53 man, and practice squad the 3rd.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #54
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Saw a guy at the gym the other day wearing this shirt that made me cringe. It had a map of Canada, USA, and Mexico. Canada and Mexico were labeled correctly but the USA was labeled "Cleveland"... poor Connor is stuck with that diabolical team in that god forsaken city.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #55
Gaichon

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Do the Browns usually keep 3 QBs on their 53 man roster or will Shaw be on practice squad? I know with the Saints, they usually just keep 2 on the 53 man, and practice squad the 3rd.
If that scenario plays out - practice squad.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #56
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Saw a guy at the gym the other day wearing this shirt that made me cringe. It had a map of Canada, USA, and Mexico. Canada and Mexico were labeled correctly but the USA was labeled "Cleveland"... poor Connor is stuck with that diabolical team in that god forsaken city.
IDK, I've only been to Cleaveland once, but the bar district they have on the Riverfront is pretty nice.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #57
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
IDK, I've only been to Cleaveland once, but the bar district they have on the Riverfront is pretty nice.
And I've never been there but have heard some good things... but still...

you're supposed to keep up the tradition of Cleveland bashing.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #58
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Just spit balling here, so don't hate on me, but could it be that they're bringing Connor in as a "scout team" type player because of his mobility and similarity to Johnny Football?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #59
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Just spit balling here, so don't hate on me, but could it be that they're bringing Connor in as a "scout team" type player because of his mobility and similarity to Johnny Football?
THey would not need to simulate their own QB.

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #60
Gaichon

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroPepper View Post
THey would not need to simulate their own QB.
But as the league gets more and more players like that it makes sense. Russell Wilson, Geno Smith, Alex Smith, etc.