CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
Badazcock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
Regalcock
Polls (3691)
Gameday Sign Ideas (3111)
Gameday in Columbia (3094)
Clem5on fans are bes (2480)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1762)
ST coach fired this (1590)
SEC East Race as of (1499)
Let's talk about Mat (1095)
Hardest Schedule (1041)
UK fans and local sp (884)
Gameday Sign Ideas
More David Williams Pleas
ST coach fired this week
Clem5on fans are beside t
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
UK fans and local sports
SEC East Race as of 9/21
So, um, yeah the NFL over
Name a Gamecock
Dylan Thompson's passing

Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #101
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: QUARLES AND HAMPTON SHOULD HAVE STAYED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
All of these athlete's at this level are brimming with confidence. They are good enough to play significant minutes for their college team and have been the focus of much attention.

They have faced their peers on the college gridirion and have been successful.

The critics are haters. Everyone has one or two flaws in their game - no one is perfect, right?

Why not listen to those who tell you what you already "know?"

Add to this the FACT that these athletes are being told they will go 4th round or higher. When you have that projection, you think that at worst you end up a round or two lower than your worst projection.
Those are projections not promises and they've proven to be wrong more often than right. It's still a decision the player makes and it's not the NCAAs responsibility to cover for them if it doesn't work.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #102
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCOCKulous View Post
And therein, good doctor, lies the prinoblem. The NCAA flat doesn't care.
You're acting like the NCAA is some mysterious monster living in a fortress dictating rules that nobody likes. The NCAA IS the member schools, like the University of South Carolina. The rules they enforce were put in place by the member institutions. I think a lot of people tend to forget that, chose to ignore that fact, or are just plain ignorant as to who the NCAA really is.
I may not like the rules, you may not like them but they were not put in place by some diabolical tyrant trying to screw college kids.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #103
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

Greedy self centered money grubbing agents whispering is what goes into the decision.All said and done it's their decision, seeing Marcus get hurt had to be in their minds. We'll never know I'm proud all played for South Carolina
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #104
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I guess this is just an insurmountable problem and will prevent the issue from ever being considered. Surely there is some way to make it work. And it may cost some kids scholarships or it may take a change that says that the numbers can count to a future or previous class. I am positive that if the NCAA wanted to do something about it, they could.
We have all watched the combine at least once. I would assume so have the players. So knowing what is takes to be draft material. Why do players over reach when deciding to enter the draft or not. Certainly they can test themselves before deciding. Being poor has been mentioned before, but what do they have now. Not even a degree to fall back on. It's tough waiting, these are young men and will have to learn life doesn't always work out the way you plan and you have to live with the consequences.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #105
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgp View Post
Greedy self centered money grubbing agents whispering is what goes into the decision.All said and done it's their decision, seeing Marcus get hurt had to be in their minds. We'll never know I'm proud all played for South Carolina
Agree with you on this. We will miss them and hope the best for them.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #106
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
It wouldn't have mattered for either guy, in terms of their NFL future, had they come back. Though great college football players, neither one has the physical tools to play their position in the league. Thats just my opinion so don't kill me for saying it. It would only matter for us fans and the program to have them back. Who knows though, one big game and scouts will roll the dice on a long shot.
Maybe but as noted repeatedly few proigrams if any lead ours with annual examples players leaving under similar circumstance with similar results and it hasn't curved. For what ever reason we just do not cultivate that belief amounst the roster that staying would likely be their best bet. We see it in other programs where a higher % stay believing they may elevate thier status and on fair occasion even staying when thier draft status is already gaged as high and they still believe staying, risk and all, will benifitt them more than leaving.
Part of it logically fits in the overall view of the program as seen with the responces from a high % of prospects, for instance legacy players,current and former roster members. Such things as family atmosphere, trust relationship with coaches etc. are used to describe other programs. Like many I wish this aspect of our program were seen by the whole as such a place.
That said... while many aspects of this issue do not shine kindly upon the SC program one does balance the scale some and seemingly were it given the opportunity might more do so. The two recent examples of choosing to stay and upgrade status, Melvin and DJ both did so and came out smelling like a rose. both the health of the program and more importantly the well being of the young men leave me hoping this trend of ditching ASAP no matter will eventually ease, even turn given how often the choice being made is proving to be ill and hope above hope that those draftable who choose to bet on returning G&B are well rewarded.

Last edited by boness; 05-12-2014 at 07:33 AM.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #107
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCOCKulous View Post
The NCAA wanted athletes who don't get paid and generate tons of money to fatten their pockets to stay and play for a scholarship which they can't use to pay their bills and live? Ya don't say?
I have heard what you hear about paying athletes. The money isn't there. Are you going to pay the students on USC's equestrian teams? Are you going to pay the student athletes on the girls basketball team? Not a single sport in womens NCAA athletics produces a profit.
Enjoy football as it is now because it is going to be destroyed because the NCAA will become one big dept of Social Services. Fans will leave when it cost $300 to see a football game. The American middle class that supports college football is suffering. In the last 5 years the US has gone from number 1 to number 16 in per capita income and it's getting worse.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #108
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I have heard what you hear about paying athletes. The money isn't there. Are you going to pay the students on USC's equestrian teams? Are you going to pay the student athletes on the girls basketball team? Not a single sport in womens NCAA athletics produces a profit.
Enjoy football as it is now because it is going to be destroyed because the NCAA will become one big dept of Social Services. Fans will leave when it cost $300 to see a football game. The American middle class that supports college football is suffering. In the last 5 years the US has gone from number 1 to number 16 in per capita income and it's getting worse.
The key phase in your post is "the money isn't there" & you are correct. The money might be there at USC, Alabama, UGA, UT, mostly members of the power conferences etc but it's not there across the board. I would like to see college athletes get a stipend but just like Zen said the first day you start paying football players a court case will be filed requiring equal treatment for women. Prior Title 9 rulings suggest that football wouldn't be given some exclusive right to pay athletes in a vacuum.
From 2010

The NCAA reports only 14 athletics departments from the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) made more money than they spent in 2008-09, down from 25 in each of the previous two years. The average institutional subsidy for athletics in the FBS rose from $8 million in 2007-08 to $10.2 million in 2008-09, the most currently available year of data.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #109
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

[quote=boness;4155352]Maybe but as noted repeatedly few proigrams if any lead ours with annual examples players leaving under similar circumstance with similar results and it hasn't curved.

Not sure which players you are talking about. Most of our early departures have done well in the league. I felt Geathers was a mistake but he has managed to make a living in the league. Who are the players who were big busts?
henmania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #110
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Hampton was abused by sammy watkins on a one on one route. He was left in the dust..then he runs a 4.69 40...that is how he finished his career.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #111
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

All over-reactions aside, we need to do a better job of counseling kids to stay when they're projection is not a 1st or 2nd round pick.

'Bama has only had 11 JRs declare since the rules were loosened. 10 were drafted. I know they pay better than us, but it helps the teams AND the players when they stay.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #112
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Hampton was abused by sammy watkins on a one on one route. He was left in the dust..then he runs a 4.69 40...that is how he finished his career.
He was beat on that one play by Sammy and that was about it.

I also remember him blowing up and breaking the collarbone of the Wisky Qb in his last game.

The forty hurt him and the night club altercation hurt him I believe.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #113
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Yeah, lets not rewrite history here. Hampton played some damn good football here. Made a lot of big plays. Wouldn't have been starting were he not one of the best we had.

As I said earlier, the 40 time just crushed him. I also understand why it would.

Went back & read a couple of articles on Vic. One on gogamecocks is particularly very telling. A direct quote from Vic in that article "I keep hearing second round, third round, and I hear some guys say, he's ready to play now"

Somebody filled his head with complete BS. Hampton believed it because he wanted to & gave up an opportunity to finish school. Go back & read the article & you will see he had absolutely no idea what was going to transpire. NONE , never entered his mind he would go undrafted. l Hate it for him, but I still believe he gets his shot somewhere. I certainly hope so because I believe, thru my garnet glasses, he's at least earned that.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 05-12-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #114
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Yeah, lets not rewrite history here. Hampton played some damn good football here. Made a lot of big plays. Wouldn't have been starting were he not one of the best we had.

As I said earlier, the 40 time just crushed him. I also understand why it would.

Went back & read a couple of articles on Vic. One on gogamecocks is particularly very telling. A direct quote from Vic in that article "I keep hearing second round, third round, and I hear some guys say, he's ready to play now"

Somebody filled his head with complete BS. Hampton believed it because he wanted to & gave up an opportunity to finish school. Go back & read the article & you will see he had absolutely no idea what was going to transpire. NONE , never entered his mind he would go undrafted. l Hate it for him, but I still believe he gets his shot somewhere. I certainly hope so because I believe, thru my garnet glasses, he's at least earned a that.
Well said. I actually believe he is better than many db's that were drafted and I think he could be at least a viable backup. Hope he gets a chance to prove it but it isn't looking good right now.

I hope our current players are taking note. Don't go early unless you are for sure you are going to be at least a second rounder because even then you might not go until the fourth or later.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #115
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit

Quote:
Exactly. And I support him. He is a Gamecock. I don't think any of us were Albert Einstein at 22.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #116
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

[quote=henmania;4155368]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
Maybe but as noted repeatedly few proigrams if any lead ours with annual examples players leaving under similar circumstance with similar results and it hasn't curved.

Not sure which players you are talking about. Most of our early departures have done well in the league. I felt Geathers was a mistake but he has managed to make a living in the league. Who are the players who were big busts?
agree many have done well once in the league but few did well on draft day. graanted so long as they make it the earnings are far superior to alternatives however it is not unfair to compare the earnings of the choice made to the possible earnings of the opposing choice.... wait. The two individuals who recently earned a draftable grade then choose to wait, DJ and Melvin, profited mightyly.
Many of those who were drafted very low or overlooked had a mid to low round grade at best. some became a mid round pick, some not. If more stay and the development aspect of the SC program works out well for them as it did for the two aformentioned them maybe a gradual shift of returning and betting on SC to elevate their status.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #117
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:

Somebody filled his head with complete BS. Hampton believed it because he wanted to & gave up an opportunity to finish school. Go back & read the article & you will see he had absolutely no idea what was going to transpire. NONE , never entered his mind he would go undrafted. l Hate it for him, but I still believe he gets his shot somewhere. I certainly hope so because I believe, thru my garnet glasses, he's at least earned that.

I agree Vic played some good football for us. Still, he started 10 out of 13 games last year and he played in all 13 (meaning he was available to start all 13). The coaches felt the need to sit him down after the UCF game where he was caught out of position a lot. That shouldn't happen for a RS Junior. His projection was for 4th to 6th round but Vic had decided to go before his last season started. So I don't think the official draft projections had much to do with this. I don't think Vic likes being in a school setting and was ready to leave. His reputation was that he tried to do too much on his own and didn't play the system well. Also that he required a lot of attention from staff. The NFL is a business and there are too many talented kids who are willing to do it the way the teams want it done. Vic would have been better served to come back this year and be a leader on the team. I mean avoiding suspensions like the Citrus Bowl this year. Those things killed him. Add the business in NY and with his sister on the eve of the draft and it killed him. Also, a better 40 time in the combine would have helped a lot.
henmania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #118
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I find it very hard to believe that Vic isn't even going to make a practice squad. He has to be atleast that good.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #119
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I agree Vic played some good football for us. Still, he started 10 out of 13 games last year and he played in all 13 (meaning he was available to start all 13). The coaches felt the need to sit him down after the UCF game where he was caught out of position a lot. That shouldn't happen for a RS Junior. His projection was for 4th to 6th round but Vic had decided to go before his last season started. So I don't think the official draft projections had much to do with this. I don't think Vic likes being in a school setting and was ready to leave. His reputation was that he tried to do too much on his own and didn't play the system well. Also that he required a lot of attention from staff. The NFL is a business and there are too many talented kids who are willing to do it the way the teams want it done. Vic would have been better served to come back this year and be a leader on the team. I mean avoiding suspensions like the Citrus Bowl this year. Those things killed him. Add the business in NY and with his sister on the eve of the draft and it killed him. Also, a better 40 time in the combine would have helped a lot.
Lots of stuff in there to like & agree with. Couple of different takes too. First Hampton was not available to start all 13 games. He was injured in the UNC game on a kick or punt return. Did not start the UGA game & possibly the following game (not sure & really doesn't matter much anyway) if I remember correctly. Had nothing to do with conduct.

Hampton did have some conduct issues & those are never a positive, a no-brainer there. But to the best of my memory (I could very well be wrong) I don't ever recall Hampton being arrested while he was a member of the Gamecock football program. He was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge before the draft. Big whoopee, a blip on the radar.

The reason I don't believe the major reason for Hampton going undrafted is primarily conduct related is because we have decades of proof to the contrary. Just look at this year's draft. Johnny Football was seemingly in the paper every other day for acting like a DA. Arrested for fighting at one point in his career. Sammy Watkins was arrested for pot & illegal possession of prescription drugs. Things that will get you suspended in the NFL. Think the NFL people believe this was Sammy's first rodeo & he was the world's unluckiest dude & got caught on his first experiment? But that didn't stop Buffalo from taking him as the 4th overall pick. Jernigan & Mettenberger both had dirty urine at the NFL combine. Drafted anyway. Going way back, Lawrence Phillips was just an absolute train wreck of a human being. You got it, picked in the first 5-6 picks of the entire draft.

To put it in crystal clear prospective. You & I show up as CB prospects at the combine, I've never had a single conduct problem in my career. I run 4.69.
You show up with some baggage, some violations of team rules & a disorderly conduct arrest, then run 4.4. Who do you imagine gets drafted first?

The NFL will turn a blind eye to conduct if the talent (i.e the measurable they're looking for) is there. They will never do the opposite.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 05-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #120
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Neither player was going to improve their stock this season. They maxed out as college players.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote