CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
rioninusc
davisd9
Regalcock
The Vent and Coachin (8604)
Disturbing comments (3324)
2015 schedule is bru (2636)
UF lets Durkin go (2275)
2015 Early Enrollees (1916)
The U ends apparel d (779)
Bobo to Colorado St? (755)
Keeping it all in pe (447)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (303)
Wilds & Carson B (259)
Marquavius Lewis
2015 schedule is brutal
Bowl Tickets On Sale Now
The U ends apparel deal w
Spurrier Jr in talks with
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2016 - John Simpson
2015 - Ulric Jones
QB Next Season?

Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #21
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material
Default Re: If Connor Shaw's passing stats had been higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
What does that have to do with anything? If your talking mechanics, Connor Shaw did not and does not throw the ball or release it like Tim Tebow.
He's talking about college success.

College success does not always equal professional success.
B-G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #22
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
I have a question about that, and I have had it for a while. IF he or anyone else lacks arm strength throwing a football, why can't he just improve his strength in his arms, lifting weights, and gaining muscle.
Others have covered this well (I liked the 90 hour fastball analogy), but to give a perfect example, Tim Tebow probably had the strongest arms -- in terms of weight room strength -- of any quarterback in NFL history. And yet, one of the big knocks on him as a passer was "lack of arm strength."

Throwing a football with elite velocity is a biomechanical motion ability that some are simply born with. Any improvements in a passer's "arm strength" are more likely to be technique improvements than weight lifting related improvements.

On the other end of the spectrum from Tebow, Jay Cutler intentionally trimmed about 20 pounds due to his diabetes a few years ago. He probably lost some weight room strength, but his passing "arm strength" was unaffected. He will always have a cannon, no matter how skinny he gets.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Really, it boils down to mechanics, decision making and arm strength. being successful in college does not mean you will be a successful NFL quarterback. The game is much faster, so you have to get the ball out quick. It's very difficult. You have to have a quick release because DE's, LB's and DT's are all top of the top and are swiping at it.
Agree...and there were plenty of other guys available that displayed better NFL potential that Connor factoring in your comments I highlighted (that's why they got drafted).
Not so sure Aaron Murray is not victim of the same thing....

I've always viewed Connor as an excellent athlete playing QB....not so much the other way around. But he still has a chance.....he's a smart guy who throws accurately....hopefully that gets him somewhere....there are a few guys like him in the league, but they do have the big arms.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #24
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Or if he had gotten us to the SECCG which he never did. There would have been more national light on him. As great as he was, he never won the road game we needed to go to Atlanta. Bash me if you want but it's true. Only one QB has gotten us there but I will say if HBC had put Shaw in the 2011 Auburn instead of 2010 Auburn game, Shaw would have led us to a win in 2011 against Auburn. HBC picked the wrong Auburn game to not put Shaw in.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan53186 View Post
I'm by no means a tebow apologist but did win a play off game

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Oh here we go again.

Yes, HIS TEAM won a playoff game. He was 10-21 that day and completed a pass at the end. The Broncos Defense is why they made the playoffs that year and a terrible AFC west is why they made it with an 8-8 record, losing their last 3 in a row.

I don't hate him or love him, but he is not a good NFL qb. 32 NFL teams appear to agree.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I can't understand why GM's can turn their heads on a QB who is undefeated as a starter in Bowl games. Has defeated other SEC and ACC QB's consecutively that were drafted, is a hard worker and no off the field issues. I understand they think his durability and height is a question mark, but c'mon so is Mettenberger. The only difference is that he is 6'4.
no that's not the only difference.....winning in college doesn't necessarily translate to winning in the NFL. while Connor was a great QB for us, he doesn't have the attributes necessary to be an NFL QB.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Agree...and there were plenty of other guys available that displayed better NFL potential that Connor factoring in your comments I highlighted (that's why they got drafted).
Not so sure Aaron Murray is not victim of the same thing....

I've always viewed Connor as an excellent athlete playing QB....not so much the other way around. But he still has a chance.....he's a smart guy who throws accurately....hopefully that gets him somewhere....there are a few guys like him in the league, but they do have the big arms.

They were talking to Dave Caldwell, the Jags GM the other day..before the draft He said he put most of the emphasis on decision making. In other words, pulling the trigger and making the throw. I think back to the number of times I heard SOS saying that he needed to throw the ball more and quicker.

That being said, I think that Connor could be successful being an NFL QB if he was given the time and resources to develop. The problem is that they don't groom qb's anymore. They want a ready made one because there are so many new guys coming out every year.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #28
b381l
Banned

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? If your talking mechanics, Connor Shaw did not and does not throw the ball or release it like Tim Tebow.
it means just because you win at college doesn't mean you can do it in the NFL.....that's what it means.....I'm not talking about mechanics, I'm talking about reading defenses, seeing the field, going through progressions, and arm strength.....and doing all that in an
instant.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
no that's not the only difference.....winning in college doesn't necessarily translate to winning in the NFL. while Connor was a great QB for us, he doesn't have the attributes necessary to be an NFL QB.
If your talking about Connor's height in terms of attributes, of course he is possibly as tall as he's going to get, you're right. As for his mechanics and arm strength, the S&C and QB coaches for the Browns can help him out.
Connor has the maturity and the strive in my opinion so I do believe he has what it takes personally to be an NFL QB.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The problem is that they don't groom qb's anymore. They want a ready made one because there are so many new guys coming out every year.
Yep...they want franchise guys right out of the draft....guys who can get them to the playoffs ASAP. It may not be realistic, but they are the ones being pressured to win now...and have to find who is best equipped to do that.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #31
TRBTB
Walk On

Male

TRBTB has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Oh here we go again.

Yes, HIS TEAM won a playoff game. He was 10-21 that day and completed a pass at the end. The Broncos Defense is why they made the playoffs that year and a terrible AFC west is why they made it with an 8-8 record, losing their last 3 in a row.

I don't hate him or love him, but he is not a good NFL qb. 32 NFL teams appear to agree.
The most surprising fact about Tim Tebow is that if you look at the last 17 Quarterbacks to win the Heisman Trophy, he is the only one that has won a playoff game (yes I know Manziel and Winston have not played in the NFL yet).
TRBTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #32
b381l
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
If your talking about Connor's height in terms of attributes, of course he is possibly as tall as he's going to get, you're right. As for his mechanics and arm strength, the S&C and QB coaches for the Browns can help him out.
Connor has the maturity and the strive in my opinion so I do believe he has what it takes personally to be an NFL QB.
I wasn't taking about his height....he's the same height as Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. See post #28.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #33
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
While Connor lacks some of the traits NFL teams tend to look for, your statement is way too dismissive of his chances. With your statement, you are essentially saying he can't make it. I'm sorry, but that's bullsh**. If at any point in his career he makes a 53 man roster, your statement will be proven to be bullsh**, and maybe you'll learn a valuable lesson about heart, guts, tenacity, and the folly of underestimating Connor Shaw.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #34
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
If at any point in his career he makes a 53 man roster, your statement will be proven to be bullsh**, and maybe you'll learn a valuable lesson about heart, guts, tenacity, and the folly of underestimating Connor Shaw.
Agree. I have my reservations about Connor's future as a pro, but there were plenty on this very forum that doubted he'd ever become an effective SEC QB, which he proved them wrong.
Dude plays smart and wins lots of games...maybe there's a place for that at the next level?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #35
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
By all standards then, neither does Russell Wilson yet somehow he has a Superbowl ring.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #36
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Really, it boils down to mechanics, decision making and arm strength. being successful in college does not mean you will be a successful NFL quarterback. See Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Blaine Gabbert and a ton of other guys. The game is much faster, so you have to get the ball out quick. It's very difficult. You have to have a quick release because DE's, LB's and DT's are all top of the top and are swiping at it.
Exactly! The college game does not always translate to the pro level. Connor does not have great arm strength or a quick release or ideal size.

I don't understand why some people on here are saying he won't get a shot. He's getting a shot with the Browns. He'll have his chance to prove whether or not he can play in the NFL.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #37
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
By all standards then, neither does Russell Wilson yet somehow he has a Superbowl ring.
Yes he does. Minus his height (which is the same as Drew Brees) he has a rocket arm, quick release, very accurate, great mechanics, large hands and is quick in the pocket. He also makes very good decisions.

He's very similar to Drew Brees.
B-G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #38
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wilson has some attributes that are just outstanding. Great arm strength, accuracy, quick release, and unbelievablely smart and excellent preparation and understanding of the game. Very quick feet and escapability and pocket awareness
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #39
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
While Connor lacks some of the traits NFL teams tend to look for, your statement is way too dismissive of his chances. If at any point in his career he makes a 53 man roster, maybe you'll learn a valuable lesson about heart, guts, tenacity, and the folly of underestimating Connor Shaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Agree. I have my reservations about Connor's future as a pro, but there were plenty on this very forum that doubted he'd ever become an effective SEC QB, which he proved them wrong.
Dude plays smart and wins lots of games...maybe there's a place for that at the next level?
I certainly learned that combining these qualities with a HOF ballcoach produces results like no others.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #40
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

There are a few things that held Connor back, IMO:

1) His height / poor field vision
2) His ball velocity
3) His injuries the past 2 seasons
4) His inability to win the big one on the road (I suppose @Missouri counts but he lost @Arkansas, @LSU, @UF, @UGA, and @UT) and he really didn't play too well in those games.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote