CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
gromweat
ReadR00ster
rabid cock
markymark550
Goofyboy
2000grad
Well, as it turns ou (2402)
Luginbill says ECU s (2355)
What the heck is up (1817)
Next years RB situat (1677)
ECU fan here (1375)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1301)
Davis dinged up agai (1129)
Freaky Coincidence o (1068)
Defensive stand-arou (910)
Quarles is a Colt! (705)
New Photos by Travis Bell
Davis dinged up again?
For the love of God! -- P
So, Vanderbilt is next
Robin William's fakes dea
Well, as it turns out, we
No Gurley near the goal l
What the heck is up with
Defensive stand-around pl
Name a Gamecock

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1002990384
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material
Default Can we still get a top 8 seed?

Can we still get a top 8 seed?What do we have to do to earn it? Is it too late?

We all saw last year in Chapel Hill just how big that Super Regional home field advantage can be!

Weekly polls released 5/12
#8 USA Today Coaches
#9 NCBWA
#12 RPI
#15 Perfect game
#17 Baseball America
#17 Collegiate Baseball

Thoughts please???
Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material
Default Re: Can we still get a top 8 seed?

Chasing Omaha says no........
http://www.chasingomaha.com/college-...ns-592014.html

Does have us hosting a regional, then potentially facing Virginia in a super regional.
Am I the only one who does not overly fear UVA?

Also, am I correct that there is no seeding past the top 8? Meaning that we could have been the 9th team,
yet we get the luxury of playing the #1 team Virginia in the Super Regional?

Add, UNC and Liberty would be a tough regional!!!

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary
Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
jaybar
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
jaybar has feathers coming injaybar has feathers coming in

Need to take at least 2 of 3 from Vandy, and win at least 2 games in the SEC tourney to make it. Otherwise, we need some other folks ahead of us to stumble.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 5399400
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post

Does have us hosting a regional, then potentially facing Virginia in a super regional.

Also, am I correct that there is no seeding past the top 8? Meaning that we could have been the 9th team,

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary
Those projections are a joke. Completely left off Cal Poly.
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary
I don't fear Virginia either. Their strength is their pitching and our pitching is better.

This team can beat any team in the country. Just need timely hitting and not leave runners on base.

I still expect to get to Omaha. Just need a few things to go right.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary
That regional would be brutal. Liberty is good enough to host and while UNC may be down they have enough talent to beat us any given day.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybar View Post
Need to take at least 2 of 3 from Vandy, and win at least 2 games in the SEC tourney to make it. Otherwise, we need some other folks ahead of us to stumble.
So that would put us at 18-12 SEC, and assuming we beat Citadel tomorrow nite, would put us at 44-14 overall??? Would that be enough?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 100
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
I don't fear Virginia either. Their strength is their pitching and our pitching is better.

This team can beat any team in the country. Just need timely hitting and not leave runners on base.

I still expect to get to Omaha. Just need a few things to go right.
*GASP* YOU SAID THE WORD!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:

Charlottesville Regional
1 Virginia (1)
2 West Virginia
3 Old Dominion
4 Western Carolina

Columbia Regional
1 South Carolina
2 Liberty
3 North Carolina
4 William & Mary
That wouldn't be too bad. I know last time we played in a Regional up there we took care of business. Might be tough for my family. They all went to UVA, but are huge Gamecock fans. My parents have had season tickets for years and think they would pull for the Cocks even though my dad's a Virginia alum.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I'm resigned to the fact that we get what we get. In truth, I'm not worried about a Top 8 seed if we can get healthy. Love to see us take the series against Vanderbilt, as long as we bring Max and Connor along slowly, we should be fine. The quest to go west isn't that tough a trail, we just can't try to hoe the whole row in one fell swoop. One game at a time. Live to play another day. We could have easily taken the Super's at Chapel Hill last year. Don't get hung up on that shit.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
I'm resigned to the fact that we get what we get. In truth, I'm not worried about a Top 8 seed if we can get healthy. Love to see us take the series against Vanderbilt, as long as we bring Max and Connor along slowly, we should be fine. The quest to go west isn't that tough a trail, we just can't try to hoe the whole row in one fell swoop. One game at a time. Live to play another day. We could have easily taken the Super's at Chapel Hill last year. Don't get hung up on that shit.
It is what it is
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

It will certainly be tough to get it but it can be done IMO. All it takes is winning... Keep winning and it sets up well for us. 2/3 is a must when we go to Nashville, and a better showing in the conference tourney is the only way (+ one vs the Citadel). It's available, but will we take it? I believe we will, but that's just me.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
jojaba71
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
jojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his comb

I think a national seed is entirely possible. I will never give up on my school. Call me a sunshine pumper if you must!
jojaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
uscnoklahoma
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
uscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPit

Yes. Win tonight, then 2 out of 3 or sweep Vandy, and then win 2 in the tournament and I think we are a #8 seed. I'm just thrilled we are almost back to full strength. The team had the magic when we were healthy....got a feeling it is about to come back.

This space has been censored
uscnoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
That regional would be brutal. Liberty is good enough to host and while UNC may be down they have enough talent to beat us any given day.
Just a thought, I have family in Kansas, one which plays for the J Hawks and their thinking is that they might be coming to Columbia.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Win tonight, take 2 out of 3 in Nashville... Win at least 1(maybe 2) in Hoover... We get a national seed... Anything less, we don't get it.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

We have a better resume than several teams ahead of us in the national seed hunt. Including FSU IMO (or at least on par). I think people still can't get past our UGA series loss. But with Schrock back we're easily a top 8 team. Hopefully we prove it with a series win against Vandy and the selection committee rewards us.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

So it seems a 18-12 conf record and a 44-14 overall record could get it done........

God I hate Vandy! If we could win a series in Nashville...... I would be extremely pleased!

How about winning 3 in the SEC tourny...... 45-14 just has a better ring to it! ;)
Course, if history means anything, then flopping in the SEC tourny is not necessarily a bad thing!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Well, won last night... Now let's get 2 out of 3 in Nashville...
Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #20
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

If we go on a 15 game win streak...we national champions....that's how difficult it can be. I am so happy for 2 in a row and a 3rd would just make us the powerhouse of the decade. It's no wonder that winning it is almost impossible and back to back is seldom heard of......