CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
sanford
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
El Cid Ranger
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Order 66
Backup QB competitio (2762)
2014 Preseason USA T (1294)
Anyone heard anythin (913)
Ranking the SEC Fema (824)
Future Non-Conferenc (653)
Spurrier on the cove (445)
What Would You Do? (411)
Ranking the SEC scho (327)
Kewl video (282)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (240)
Elcid99
Tupelo Honey Cafe
Cheap jersey and very nic
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Future Non-Conference Sch
Anyone heard anything abo
2015 - Albert Huggins
Re-Airing South Carolina
An Aggies View of the Mat
What ever happened to Phi

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Discussion: What do you think about the SEC's recruiting

Top to bottom? .. A lot of parity when you look at the entire conference, IMO.

Missouri and Vanderbilt (post James Franklin) are really the only schools that aren't racking in players right now. Every other school is either going to be in the Top 25 or right on the edge of it.

Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Arkansas have all seen a spike in their recruiting the past 3 seasons. Ole Miss and Tennessee are loaded again at the skill positions and it looks like UT has put more of a focus on defense lately. Mississippi State looks like they are finally going to build a team in the mold of what Urban Meyer did at Florida (great athletes in a spread option offense, physical defense). Arkansas has really focused on upgrading the LOS on both sides of the ball which isn't a shock given their coach's background. He has already shown he can recruit running backs. Kentucky has been following the same path as Arkansas. They have recruit really well in the trenches (look at the measurable of the players they signed last year and have committed this year) and are building up their defense. It'll be interesting to see if they can upgrade their skill guys.

UA, AU, LSU, aTm, UGA, and UF continue to roll along. USC continues to sit in its sweet spot (between Top 10 and 20).

If it keeps trending this way, there are going to be no gimme games in conference play. Its already pretty much like that as is but the playing fields are leveling out quickly.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem

Last edited by CoverTwo; 05-13-2014 at 12:05 PM.
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit
Default Re: Discussion: What do you think about the SEC's recruiting

I thought Mizzou was putting together a nice 2015 class?

Regardless, I agree that if recruiting continues like this, places like Commonwealth Stadium will not be considered an automatic W!!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
sgacock
4-Star

Male

sgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talons

delete

Last edited by sgacock; 05-13-2014 at 12:23 PM.
sgacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgacock View Post
I hate being a grammer Nazi, but: "parity."

Parody/parity can create some very humorous malapropisms. I'll delete this if you want to correct it.
I typed everything on my iPhone and didn't proof read.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 05-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Mizzu is going to be the NW of the the SEC. A well coached, solid team, will shine every now and again but nothing to special. I think last year was more of a fluke for them than the standard. Personally I was not overly impressed with uk's class last year as some. If you look deeper it was a decent class, but nothing special. The couple of kids they got from Ohio, Snodgrass and Horton, are decent but I do not see them being big stars.

If ut ever got a good coach they could be scary good, but IMO they will be much like clem5on. big recruits, average results, and struggle against the good teams for the most part.

The top of the league will always be Bama, LSU, Fla, UGA and Aubie. We are on the cusp, but I think we are in the spot we will stay in. We are much like the ut of the 90s. Time will tell but I think we stay at this level for a while, could go up but I don't see a drop unless we hire a Dooley or Kiffin.

IMO it goes like this

Bama, UF, LSU

UGA, Aubie

SC,utk,TAM

Ole, Arky,Miss St, Mizzu

Vandy, UK
Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
sgacock
4-Star

Male

sgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I typed everything on my iPhone and didn't proof read.

%^*)(#$%^)_(*&^%%!^&* iPhones and autospell! I understand completely, but playing with those two words has always been one of my favorites. Expect me to intentionally get them backwards at some point in the future, just for fun,
sgacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I think you have to put aTm in the same league as Alabama, LSU, and Florida. Since they have joined the SEC they have finished 9th, 5th, and are currently 5th to date. They are a recruiting machine right now.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
I think you have to put aTm in the same league as Alabama, LSU, and Florida. Since they have joined the SEC they have finished 9th, 5th, and are currently 5th to date. They are a recruiting machine right now.
a lot of that was the SEC hype machine. With Strong at UT things will shift back that way in a hurry. If it doesn't then yeah move TAM to that level. The are in a honeymoon period, much like uk last year. it's new and fresh, TAM to SEC. They were sexy for a moment, but they are about to take a step back on the field, recruiting will follow. It is typical for TAM, make a good jump forward, then they move back.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

It still comes down to coaching. Uk has a little buzz with the new staff but that usually happens. I think they will be solid defensively under Stoops but I do not see them being consistently good week-in week-out. Ut has a new-er staff with a clemson-like approach to recruiting...but they also have some of the best facilities in the country. Skill players are great and all but I'll reserve my excitement for their progress for a few years...I just don't see BJ being a great SEC coach. Feel similarly to Ole Miss and Freeze. A&M is a recruiting machine but it will be interesting to see how they are AJF. I don't know how much longer Mullen has in Starkville, but I'd say he needs to have a really strong season in the next few years. I actually think Arky could have a nice turn around if they give BB long enough...but they are trying to fit octagonal pegs in pentagonal holes right now. Mizzou is a team that has the coaching and doesn't necessarily rely on "elite" talent...but they better not get too far behind because the overall talent is without a doubt getting better in the SEC...which is scary considering how good it's been.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
a lot of that was the SEC hype machine. With Strong at UT things will shift back that way in a hurry. If it doesn't then yeah move TAM to that level. The are in a honeymoon period, much like uk last year. it's new and fresh, TAM to SEC. They were sexy for a moment, but they are about to take a step back on the field, recruiting will follow. It is typical for TAM, make a good jump forward, then they move back.
Good point about TX coming back in the picture. I still think A&M will continue to be a force on the recruiting front. They can sell tradition, nice facilities, the SEC. While I think their recruiting might drop off some it will not be that big. They are one of the wealthier schools in the country with a rabid fan base.

You also have to look at where they are recruiting... So much talent right around them with Texas, Louisiana, and to a lesser extent, Arkansas.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Figure I would give this a bump .. Per the 247 rankings, the SEC has 10 teams in the Top 25. Including 6 in the Top 10.

Interesting enough, Mississippi State has jumped us into the Top 10.

Missouri at 26, Ole Miss at 34, Vandy at 66.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 05-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Figure I would give this a bump .. Per the 247 rankings, the SEC has 10 teams in the Top 25. Including 6 in the Top 10.

Interesting enough, Mississippi State has jumped us into the Top 10.

Missouri at 26, Ole Miss at 34, Vandy at 66.
and that's about where they'll finish in the polls when the 2014 season is over.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #13
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgacock View Post
%^*)(#$%^)_(*&^%%!^&* iPhones and autospell! I understand completely, but playing with those two words has always been one of my favorites. Expect me to intentionally get them backwards at some point in the future, just for fun,
You put a comma at the end of your sentence instead of a period.

CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote