CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
Cockhornleghorn
doubledribble
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2022)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1493)
Former Gamecock root (1388)
Franks boy's are pla (1157)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (550)
Kentucky is dominati (518)
Has the window close (458)
Chance of my lifetim (457)
Question for those w (418)
Franks boy's are playing
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Bruce!!!
Has the window closed for
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #241
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: QUARLES AND HAMPTON SHOULD HAVE STAYED

i think mike can handle the workload as long as we dont end up in a situation where we need 20+ carries from him every week to win. then its not just the carries, its the touches overall, and the snaps. if he gets banged up this year like he did to finish last year then an injury prone label will stick but if he gets through this year relatively unscathed then it will help him a bunch.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #242
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
K, cool...so, when someone on this board calls a player "injury prone" is there a level of expectation that this sort of genetic testing has been done?

Or is that person just blowing smoke, from a completely non-medical perspective?
It's a matter of perspective and perception, which has great value in the NFL draft. There are so many other options for those doing the picking, that someone that is "perceived" as injury prone may get jumped...especially RB.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #243
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
His foot injury against UK?
I think I blocked that game out of my mind. Never is rarely a good word to use.

I was actually agreeing with you in that certain players seem more likely to get banged up in normal wear and tear than others.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #244
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox3 View Post
I'd be willing to bet Mike Davis goes in round 1. The decline in running backs getting drafted has to with the changing nature of the game, but it also has to do with the quality of the crop of running backs coming out each year. Mike Davis is better than Bishop Sankey, and i think Davis is the closest thing to Adrian Peterson that has come around in the last few years.
your glasses = garnet

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #245
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
K, cool...so, when someone on this board calls a player "injury prone" is there a level of expectation that this sort of genetic testing has been done?

Or is that person just blowing smoke, from a completely non-medical perspective?
I am just saying that some people are genetically more likely to sustain injuries through normal game play than others. I am not qualified to say who those people are from a genetic standpoint, but I think people make educated guesses by a person's ability to play in comparison to their peers. You may think that is unfair, but I think people are quick to change their opinion with an extended period of time going by without injury. I think some are a little too quick to use it, but Mike Davis got banged up a few multiple ways last year so I think that is where this is coming from.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #246
JDStud6
Starter

Male

JDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPitJDStud6 rules the CockPit

I don't want MDavis to carry 25+ times a game. I'd like him to split with Wilds and sprinkle some Williams/Carson in for a few carries a game as well.

JD
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #247
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Damiere Byrd will get picked if he has another solid season. He will run great and if he test well elsewhere, he becomes a lock.
Hard to say, but I could see him going as high as 4th or 3rd if someone really wants him.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #248
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
I don't want MDavis to carry 25+ times a game.
Especially if he's going to get banged up and lose his effectiveness. Wilds needs to stay healthy. They need to trade off banging on opposing defenses....bam/bam.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #249
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I am just saying that some people are genetically more likely to sustain injuries through normal game play than others. I am not qualified to say who those people are from a genetic standpoint, but I think people make educated guesses by a person's ability to play in comparison to their peers. You may think that is unfair, but I think people are quick to change their opinion with an extended period of time going by without injury. I think some are a little too quick to use it, but Mike Davis got banged up a few multiple ways last year so I think that is where this is coming from.

I understand what you're saying, and appreciate the rational discourse.

My point that I should have been more direct with, is that labeling someone as "injury prone" without any scientific or medical basis to back it up for that individual is damaging. To label someone as such, you're (not you, specifically) furthering a narrative that becomes part of that player's identity.

Sure, I recognize what one person on CT says about a player isn't going to impact their eventual draft grade, but the point still stands; if one person says it, and then 10...then 100, well, you get the idea. Its unnecessary, IMO.

I just wish people would stick to facts before labeling a player as having a specific pre-condition, is all.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #250
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Hard to say, but I could see him going as high as 4th or 3rd if someone really wants him.
I'm thinking 4th round too. If I would compare him to anyone it would be Dri Archer from Kent State. 4th round selection in the draft and he has similar intangibles to Byrd. Here are his combine results:

5'8 173 lbs
4.26 40 yard dash (official)
38 inch vertical
6.86 3 cone drill
4.06 20 yard shuffle
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #251
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
I'm thinking 4th round too. If I would compare him to anyone it would be Dri Archer from Kent State. 4th round selection in the draft and he has similar intangibles to Byrd. Here are his combine results:

5'8 173 lbs
4.26 40 yard dash (official)
38 inch vertical
6.86 3 cone drill
4.06 20 yard shuffle
I think the measurable are there, but the film isn't the same yet.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #252
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I think the measurable are there, but the film isn't the same yet.
I agree. Dri had a heck of a year.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #253
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

archer was a running back though they did move him around. it depends on who's picking, but byrd being a more polished receiver may help him get picked earlier. how well he performs this year and all star games workouts will go a long way to determine where he gets drafted. roland is in a similar boat.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #254
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
And your point is?
That you have none.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #255
JDStud6
Starter

Male

Roland and Byrd are going to need to come back another year

JD
Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #256
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Byrd is a Senior.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #257
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
That you have none.
....but you do.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #258
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, and appreciate the rational discourse.

My point that I should have been more direct with, is that labeling someone as "injury prone" without any scientific or medical basis to back it up for that individual is damaging. To label someone as such, you're (not you, specifically) furthering a narrative that becomes part of that player's identity.

Sure, I recognize what one person on CT says about a player isn't going to impact their eventual draft grade, but the point still stands; if one person says it, and then 10...then 100, well, you get the idea. Its unnecessary, IMO.

I just wish people would stick to facts before labeling a player as having a specific pre-condition, is all.

How some people play makes them prone to more injuries. MD and Latti delivered a lot of punishment when they ran. There were several runs last year when I wanted MD to just get done rather than fight for another yard. He took a beating in a number of those instances. SOS even said in one of his coaches show that MD needed to do a better job of protecting himself. But that's his style and that style makes him ripe for injuries. Connor is sort of the same way early in his career. He refused to slide and was constantly get dinged up. he eventually learned to get down and his career was better for it.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #259
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200537793047022130
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Some Gamecocks get disappointed in draft - The Greenville News

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/stor...draft/9069721/
Old 05-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #260
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

I doubt Hampton even gets signed, sounds like no NFL team wants to take a chance on him. When the bengals wont even sign you, you know its bad.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote