CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
75CarolinaFan
conwaycock2
M.C.
An Aggies View of th (1015)
My predictions for 2 (982)
Tennessee (679)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (665)
Elcid99 (619)
Question on Student (458)
Erin Murray's brothe (431)
Clowney in Practice (417)
SEC Recruiting Advan (389)
Camp scheduled relea (334)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Not a Rival..
Keith Stone (2016 Prospec
2015 - Zack Bailey
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2015 - Jarred Reuter
Doral Moore
Tennessee
Ranking the Opposing Fanb

Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #21
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jaylen Shaw to Transfer

Not too surprising, but I wish him the best wherever he goes.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #22
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Check out the list of this years transfers to date.

Even Furman has at least two.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2014
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #23
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Given the make-up of next season's roster, Shaw may have struggled to find playing time at the point, and perhaps Martin didn't think he could handle the two-guard position on this team, particularly defensively, given Shaw's relatively small stature (6'0"). While Martin learned to accept the trade-offs associated with getting a smaller 2 on the floor with Brenton Williams, it's not his preferred style of play. The fact that Shaw did not come to Carolina as a 2 guard, perhaps combined with uncertainty he could develop at that position (or back at the point, if he and the staff preferred him at that spot), likely led to his departure.
The transfer opens up room in the depth chart for incoming freshman Marcus Stroman to take the reins as the primary back-up to Tyrone Johnson this season, with Duane Notice likely serving as the starting shooting guard.
It also opens up an additional scholarship for the Gamecocks. At this time, with the fact that Carlton Geathers is unlikely to count against the NCAA scholarship limit for South Carolina next year, the Gamecocks can account for 12 scholarships for the 2014-15 team.
That leaves one remaining spot for someone to claim. Carolina hopes that Danuel House, a former five-star transfer from the Houston Cougars, decides to claim that last scholarship. He visited the Gamecocks recently and has them in his final group, along with UNLV and UCLA. He plans to announce in the coming weeks his intentions for next season and hopes to receive a waiver to play immediately due to the coaching change in Houston.
http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...cks-basketball
Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Check out the list of this years transfers to date.

Even Furman has at least two.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2014
Dang. Some schools had 5 guys transfer. Guessing they had a coaching change.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #25
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Frank is Lost. He cant recruit and then blows his lid when they mess up...
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #26
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
Dang. Some schools had 5 guys transfer. Guessing they had a coaching change.

There have been 506 transfers from Div. 1 schools so far this off-season.

Which averages out to 1.44 per team.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #27
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
What bothers me with Frank is that he is missing on a lot of players. Peak, Buford, and Cunningham would've been immediate contributors for next years team.

These misses trickle down to where we have to take chances on marginal players in hopes of striking gold. You can't sustain or even build with that happening.
Yeah. Peak was disappointing.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #28
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
What bothers me with Frank is that he is missing on a lot of players. Peak, Buford, and Cunningham would've been immediate contributors for next years team.

These misses trickle down to where we have to take chances on marginal players in hopes of striking gold. You can't sustain or even build with that happening.
We have three guys on board for this years class. Two of them are Rival 150 players. Marcus Stroman #95 4 star and TeMarcus Blanton #135 a 3 star from GEORGIA! (Horn never recruited out of Georgia because of the Morrow fiasco that was the beginning of the end for Darrin.) We are also very much in the picture with House who would be the 1rst (5star) McDonalds All-American since who to become a Gamecock? Throw in Sindarious and Henry and even Notice who outperformed most everyone's expectations last year to become a solid contributor.

Even without House I like this class and with him, I think it's fantastic.

The foundation is coming together, now we just need the wins to accumulate and the 4 and 5 stars will start signing.

Last edited by Travelin; 05-15-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #29
CockyLifer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talons

It's great to be a gamecock!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

This sucks. Shaw could've been a pretty nice guard for us. He's athletic as hell and can shoot the three.

Currently, Sindarius is our only legitimate perimeter threat. The lack of shooting worries me. We really need to get House.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #31
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
This sucks. Shaw could've been a pretty nice guard for us. He's athletic as hell and can shoot the three.

Currently, Sindarius is our only legitimate perimeter threat. The lack of shooting worries me. We really need to get House.
I liked Shaw, don't get me wrong, but he's 6 foot and Martin has made no secret about the fact that we wants taller guards that can score. Also, over 40% of Shaw's shots were from beyond the arc, possibly a few too many for Martin's liking. He wants slashers that can score and create opportunities. Throwing up the three ball a lot can take away whatever advantage we have on the offensive boards.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #32
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Martin wants a team that can defend AND score. He's sticking to his guns there.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #33
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

LOL sorry but I find some of this funny. If Shaw didn't fit why did Martin go after him? MArtin wnet after the kid for a reason, he wanted him here. IF he didn't "fit" then shame on Martin for even bringing him in.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #34
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
LOL sorry but I find some of this funny. If Shaw didn't fit why did Martin go after him? MArtin wnet after the kid for a reason, he wanted him here. IF he didn't "fit" then shame on Martin for even bringing him in.
That's a naive way of looking at the situation. He gave Shaw a chance, but Martin is always going to look to upgrade when he can. Notice emerged into a better player for Martin's system and got the majority of the minutes, not to mention Thornwell.

Lack of size to play the 2 guard, tendency to hoist the 3 ball and inability to create plays for his teammates are most likely the reason Shaw and Martin agreed a transfer would be best for both parties involved. It opens up a scholly for us and gives Shaw a chance to utilize his talents in a system better suited to his skill set.

Martin has been here over two years, this is the way he operates and I agree wholeheartedly with the way he is running the program.

I have no knowledge of this, but it would not surprise me if Martin told his recruits and their parents and coaches that a scholly is a one year deal that is either renewed or not, depending on performance, attitude, injuries and/ or position upgrades. And that is exactly what it is.

Good luck to Jaylen, I think he'll have a good career where ever he lands.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #35
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
That's a naive way of looking at the situation. He gave Shaw a chance, but Martin is always going to look to upgrade when he can. Notice emerged into a better player for Martin's system and got the majority of the minutes, not to mention Thornwell.

Lack of size to play the 2 guard, tendency to hoist the 3 ball and inability to create plays for his teammates are most likely the reason Shaw and Martin agreed a transfer would be best for both parties involved. It opens up a scholly for us and gives Shaw a chance to utilize his talents in a system better suited to his skill set.

Martin has been here over two years, this is the way he operates and I agree wholeheartedly with the way he is running the program.

I have no knowledge of this, but it would not surprise me if Martin told his recruits and their parents and coaches that a scholly is a one year deal that is either renewed or not, depending on performance, attitude, injuries and/ or position upgrades. And that is exactly what it is.

Good luck to Jaylen, I think he'll have a good career where ever he lands.
I forget there are those that think coaches walk on water. Martin has a job to bring in players to fit his system. My issue with this transfer and Ringer to be honest, is both players had a chance at minutes and contributing next season. They were both freshman who did see the court a fair amount. Both averaged 10 mins a game and played in most of the games. So it is not like they have been here for a year or two and didn't play or had no hopes of playing. If it was a Theus or McKie, I think those transfers would have made more sense.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I forget there are those that think coaches walk on water. Martin has a job to bring in players to fit his system. My issue with this transfer and Ringer to be honest, is both players had a chance at minutes and contributing next season. They were both freshman who did see the court a fair amount. Both averaged 10 mins a game and played in most of the games. So it is not like they have been here for a year or two and didn't play or had no hopes of playing. If it was a Theus or McKie, I think those transfers would have made more sense.
His minutes were mostly from the beginning of the season, as the year wore on Thornwell and Notice got most of the minutes.

What's funny is how you think it's right for Rainey to transfer.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=14
Old 05-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #37
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
His minutes were mostly from the beginning of the season, as the year wore on Thornwell and Notice got most of the minutes.

What's funny is how you think it's right for Rainey to transfer.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=14
Rainey has been in the system for 2 years, did not crack the depth chart, big difference. In fact this was his 3rd spring here. He was not going to get on the field that much. These two would have. Shaw plaed 8.5 per game in the Tournament games vs Tenn and Arky
Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #38
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Rainey has been in the system for 2 years, did not crack the depth chart, big difference.
No, it's not. They are both talented players that are not going to get much playing time here due to several factors. They both want to play somewhere, not ride the bench.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #39
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
No, it's not. They are both talented players that are not going to get much playing time here due to several factors. They both want to play somewhere, not ride the bench.
LOL they are true freshman who played in games.

Rainey was a Redshirt Freshman who didn't ever see the field who was buried on the depthchart.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #40
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
LOL they are true freshman who played in games.

Rainey was a Redshirt Freshman who didn't ever see the field who was buried on the depthchart.
It's basketball. Most everyone plays that is capable. Especially when you lose two guards after the season starts. Now Marcus is here, Ty is healthy and Thornwell and Notice are certainly in the rotation, if not starters.

I don't understand what this childish back and forth is all about. You don't agree with it? Fine. I tried to explain the situation to you and you obviously disagree, so why do you think he's leaving? Why do you, SCOhioBoy, think Shaw is transferring?