CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
smoovecock
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
JerseyBird
markymark550
b381l
RGHoskins
CoverTwo
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (1837)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Constant Updates on (1615)
Alshon - Bose (1035)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (954)
Garcia vs Clemson To (854)
How cool would it be (844)
Carolina/Clemson gam (567)
Palmetto Bowl (390)
Chattanooga upends N (219)
Palmetto Bowl
Constant Updates on Watso
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
NEW Pics from South Alaba
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Where to watch in Arlingt

Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #41
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999880
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: Jaylen Shaw to Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
It's basketball. Most everyone plays that is capable. Especially when you lose two guards after the season starts. Now Marcus is here, Ty is healthy and Thornwell and Notice are certainly in the rotation, if not starters.

I don't understand what this childish back and forth is all about. You don't agree with it? Fine. I tried to explain the situation to you and you obviously disagree, so why do you think he's leaving? Why do you, SCOhioBoy, think Shaw is transferring?
Doesn't matter why I think he is transferring or why Ringer are transferring. If you don't think having two players who played 10 minutes a game and where in line to play a role this coming year is a issue then so be it. However, when you have transfers at this rate it does not help. Most programs who are doing well do not have players transfer out after this Freshman year who played 10 minutes a game. Like I said if it was after their 2nd year I could see it. If it was McKie or Theus who didn't see the floor for the most part I could see it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #42
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Frank is Lost. He cant recruit and then blows his lid when they mess up...
LOL
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #43
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
We have three guys on board for this years class. Two of them are Rival 150 players. Marcus Stroman #95 4 star and TeMarcus Blanton #135 a 3 star from GEORGIA! (Horn never recruited out of Georgia because of the Morrow fiasco that was the beginning of the end for Darrin.) We are also very much in the picture with House who would be the 1rst (5star) McDonalds All-American since who to become a Gamecock? Throw in Sindarious and Henry and even Notice who outperformed most everyone's expectations last year to become a solid contributor.

Even without House I like this class and with him, I think it's fantastic.

The foundation is coming together, now we just need the wins to accumulate and the 4 and 5 stars will start signing.

I'm following what you're saying and I do agree that we do have some pieces coming together but still, its a red flag when we were in prime position to grab LJ Peak, Dante Buford, and Josh Cunningham but couldn't get it done. Those three players plus Stroman and Blanton would've been a HUGE talent boost for this program. Hell, it would've probably been a Top 15-20 class.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #44
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'm following what you're saying and I do agree that we do have some pieces coming together but still, its a red flag when we were in prime position to grab LJ Peak, Dante Buford, and Josh Cunningham but couldn't get it done. Those three players plus Stroman and Blanton would've been a HUGE talent boost for this program. Hell, it would've probably been a Top 15-20 class.
LJ wasn't going to play in the south. Even though he listed us we never had a chance with him.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #45
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I liked Shaw, don't get me wrong, but he's 6 foot and Martin has made no secret about the fact that we wants taller guards that can score. Also, over 40% of Shaw's shots were from beyond the arc, possibly a few too many for Martin's liking. He wants slashers that can score and create opportunities. Throwing up the three ball a lot can take away whatever advantage we have on the offensive boards.
Shaw shot 40% from three and made 88% of his free throws. Small or not, he's got a lot of talent and he's a very good shooter. I guess the writing was on the wall when Stroman came, but I think Shaw's shooting would have helped us tremendously.

Our perimeter shooting is going to be a huge struggle next season..
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #46
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Peak went to Georgetown and like the other poster said, he never wanted to play in Cola as much as the fans wanted him to.

Buford turned down us, OSU, SoCal and Miami to play at Oklahoma.

Cunningham obviously wanted to stay home as he went to Bradley, about 3 hours from his home. But, he turned down Indiana, st'Johns, Depaul and others before going to Bradley and all indications lead me to believe we were second on that list, just too far from home.

I don't call that a red flag. What I like is that we are getting strong consideration from these type of players despite the fact that we have really sucked for years. Honestly, we have one SEC winning season in the last 15 or 16 years. Practically zero NCAA Tourney history in recent memory(for the recruits that is) and less than three years ago our program hit rock bottom.

We must start winning with the players that are on the roster when the season starts. Bottom line. We do that and Martin will be able to land guys like those above and even much better.

This is year three for Martin. I think we all agree last year could have been a lot better if Ty didn't run into an official and break his foot. That was hard for a young team to overcome, but they did finally progress at the end of the year and we won two SEC Tourney games and beat UK who happened to make it to the final this year. A team loaded with 5 star McDonalds All-Americans.

As you know I have the utmost respect for your opinions and recruiting info and I appreciate your honesty because that is exactly the sentiment I'm picking up from some fans. That they think CFM isn't getting it done. That disappoints me though, because he is a good coach and I think he's the type of coach we needed to turn this quagmire of a program into contenders. His job will be made even harder if the fans start turning their back on him. I fully support him and will do until the writing is on the wall that he needs to go. I believe we are a long way from that happening.

Last edited by Travelin; 05-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #47
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Shaw shot 40% from three and made 88% of his free throws. Small or not, he's got a lot of talent and he's a very good shooter. I guess the writing was on the wall when Stroman came, but I think Shaw's shooting would have helped us tremendously.

Our perimeter shooting is going to be a huge struggle next season..
But he didn't drive to the basket enough and create shots under the rim. He didn't play good enough defense for Martin. I agree, he was good offensively at times, but it obviously wasn't enough for CFM to give him valuable PT in the near future.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #48
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Shaw going to Coastal.
Quote:
Coastal Carolina announced Friday that Shaw had signed to play for the Big South Conference tournament champion while Mercer said that Ringer would join the Bears, the Atlantic Sun tournament champs who knocked off Duke in the NCAA tournament.
The two were among eight newcomers suiting up for the Gamecocks last year.
Neither Shaw nor Ringer made a big impact for the Gamecocks this past season. The 6-foot Shaw averaged three points in 28 games. Ringer, at 6-9, also played in 28 games and averaged two points and two rebounds.
Both players must sit out this season before returning to the court in 2015-16.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...inger-transfer
Old 05-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #49
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Peak went to Georgetown and like the other poster said, he never wanted to play in Cola as much as the fans wanted him to.

Buford turned down us, OSU, SoCal and Miami to play at Oklahoma.

Cunningham obviously wanted to stay home as he went to Bradley, about 3 hours from his home. But, he turned down Indiana, st'Johns, Depaul and others before going to Bradley and all indications lead me to believe we were second on that list, just too far from home.

I don't call that a red flag. What I like is that we are getting strong consideration from these type of players despite the fact that we have really sucked for years. Honestly, we have one SEC winning season in the last 15 or 16 years. Practically zero NCAA Tourney history in recent memory(for the recruits that is) and less than three years ago our program hit rock bottom.

We must start winning with the players that are on the roster when the season starts. Bottom line. We do that and Martin will be able to land guys like those above and even much better.

This is year three for Martin. I think we all agree last year could have been a lot better if Ty didn't run into an official and break his foot. That was hard for a young team to overcome, but they did finally progress at the end of the year and we won two SEC Tourney games and beat UK who happened to make it to the final this year. A team loaded with 5 star McDonalds All-Americans.

As you know I have the utmost respect for your opinions and recruiting info and I appreciate your honesty because that is exactly the sentiment I'm picking up from some fans. That they think CFM isn't getting it done. That disappoints me though, because he is a good coach and I think he's the type of coach we needed to turn this quagmire of a program into contenders. His job will be made even harder if the fans start turning their back on him. I fully support him and will do until the writing is on the wall that he needs to go. I believe we are a long way from that happening.

Right but compare it to what Dawn has done. I'm not talking about the past 2 years because thats not fair, but in the way she has built her program. She has been able to go out there and get the players to turn this thing around in years where the W/L record wasn't that good .. not vice versa. Its the chicken & the egg theory, I get it. Does Coach Martin have to win with what he has or does he need to bring in better players? Staley did the latter and I just don't see Martin being able to have success until he does that too. I'm not turning my back on him at all. I like his style of play and I agree with the vision he has for this program. However, I am critical about how he has been recruiting given his perceived deep ties to the East Coast and AAU circuit.

Its going to be really annoying if Bruce Pearl turns Auburn around faster than Frank turns USC around. And if he does, its going to be in large part because he recruited his ass off.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #50
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Right but compare it to what Dawn has done. I'm not talking about the past 2 years because thats not fair, but in the way she has built her program. She has been able to go out there and get the players to turn this thing around in years where the W/L record wasn't that good .. not vice versa. Its the chicken & the egg theory, I get it. Does Coach Martin have to win with what he has or does he need to bring in better players? Staley did the latter and I just don't see Martin being able to have success until he does that too. I'm not turning my back on him at all. I like his style of play and I agree with the vision he has for this program. However, I am critical about how he has been recruiting given his perceived deep ties to the East Coast and AAU circuit.

Its going to be really annoying if Bruce Pearl turns Auburn around faster than Frank turns USC around. And if he does, its going to be in large part because he recruited his ass off.
I agree with what your saying, but I think he's doing pretty darn good on the recruiting front. I think that's what our differences are. The players we have right now are a good start. Thornwell might explode next year. Notice, L-Chat, Kacinas and Micheal Carrera make a good nucleus. Stroman could be the PG for three years. Then there's Ty to run the point this year, he's no slouch.

Let's see what happens this year, I think things will start coming together on the court and on the recruiting trail.

Imagine if we land either Carter or House. Both would be phenomenal.

Frank can't recruit like Bruce Pearl, that I'm sure of, not without some runs in the Tourney. But he has more luggage than Bruce. Hell, if we wanted to recruit 5 starts, we should have got Larry Brown. I wouldn't have been upset with that acquisition.

I'm not sure that the comparison to Staley is a fair one, but I'll give it some thought.

Last edited by Travelin; 05-18-2014 at 06:19 PM.