CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
IBleedGarnetandBlack
The Yancey
peterlemon
18IsTheMan
bcolinc
zcoop
Kyle76
b381l
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
The Demise of the 3- (2356)
East Carolina Predic (1591)
Why didn't Wes Green (1285)
A&M on 3rd down (650)
You guys are horribl (614)
Finally Cooled Off (541)
Did we ever go after (517)
louisville (489)
It's the offenses no (408)
Watching the Georgia (235)
whats up with Mike?
The Demise of the 3-4
Why didn't Wes Green play
Recruiting Question
USC vs. Texas A&M Pre
Uniform thread
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Amonte Caban
2015 Commitment - Shameik
All of our defensive play

Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #101
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw is a Cleveland Brown!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Poor Work Ethic, Douchebaggery, Shitty haircut, etc.
The first one isn't true.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #102
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

I don't understanding the downplaying of Manziel's on the field accomplishments. In a conference that is touted for it's defense, he put up some pretty lofty numbers.

I've probably seen only 2 posters with logical reasons why Manziel won't do well.

Agreed, there is a possibility that his style of play won't translate. The rest here just don't like him.

If he played for us ya'll would love him

#LukeForMod

Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #103
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
What kind of character issues does Johnny have? Give me some specifics here.
1. Well, if you believe he really signed thousands of autographs for free, then I guess you are beyond reasoning with. He avoided getting found guilty, but he obviously (to everyone else) signed stuff for cash which is breaking the rules he agreed to when he went to college. You can disagree with this rule all you want, but if a person is willing to break some when they feel its justified, then you might just want to be careful if you are his team.

2. I really hope he doesn't but the ESPN article about him basically states the kid could be a borderline alcoholic if he doesn't get that under control. Now that he has all the money of his own that he wants and he is free to do what he feels is best in Cleveland I would be pretty shocked if we don't hear his name soon in some pretty questionable scenarios.

3. He disrespected his coach and his team with his personal antics against Rice, basically shoving himself past Sumlin as Sumlin was trying to talk to him. That speak to not putting the team above self, general self-righteousness and arrogance as well as a lack of self-control, which harkens back to number 2.

4. The only guy to be asked to leave the Manning Passing Academy early this year, due to at best being ill (even though he could visit the bars those same evenings), to oversleeping and being late to his appointments, to at worst he having a hangover after a night of partying. And when confronted with this, he blames AJ McCarron for not waking him up. Awesome...

So far, I have:

1. A history of bending/breaking the rules he agrees to when it feels it personally suits him.
2. A lack of self-control, discipline.
3. Disrespect of those in authority over him/arrogance.
4. Lack of personal accountability when he screws something up.

Sounds like a real gem of a pro prospect.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #104
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

^^^ Thanks for saving me a bunch of typing Trapper....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #105
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
CockyCash: 200
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I don't understanding the downplaying of Manziel's on the field accomplishments. In a conference that is touted for it's defense, he put up some pretty lofty numbers.

I've probably seen only 2 posters with logical reasons why Manziel won't do well.

Agreed, there is a possibility that his style of play won't translate. The rest here just don't like him.

As much as I hate to admit; I must 2nd this. He plays confident and reckless at the same time...it appears he knows the ability of his receivers to just chuck it up like he does at times....just like we did with Alshon when SG was our QB...
'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #106
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Also for the record regarding Character issues. (minus being arrested)

Apparently some scouts have said some things about about AJ McCarron during his interviews at the combine (reason's he may have slipped)
Now that is another D-bag.

#LukeForMod

Old 05-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #107
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
What kind of character issues does Johnny have? Give me some specifics here.
Highly doubt either Shaw or Manziel turn into a long NFL starting QB, but Shaw has just as much chance as Manziel at doing so. And based on their character, I'd put my money on Shaw.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #108
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9980800
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
Highly doubt either Shaw or Manziel turn into a long NFL starting QB, but Shaw has just as much chance as Manziel at doing so. And based on their character, I'd put my money on Shaw.

JD
The Browns put their money on Manziel. Ill roll with a NFL franchise that isnt wearing garnet glasses.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #109
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
1. Well, if you believe he really signed thousands of autographs for free, then I guess you are beyond reasoning with. He avoided getting found guilty, but he obviously (to everyone else) signed stuff for cash which is breaking the rules he agreed to when he went to college. You can disagree with this rule all you want, but if a person is willing to break some when they feel its justified, then you might just want to be careful if you are his team.

2. I really hope he doesn't but the ESPN article about him basically states the kid could be a borderline alcoholic if he doesn't get that under control. Now that he has all the money of his own that he wants and he is free to do what he feels is best in Cleveland I would be pretty shocked if we don't hear his name soon in some pretty questionable scenarios.

3. He disrespected his coach and his team with his personal antics against Rice, basically shoving himself past Sumlin as Sumlin was trying to talk to him. That speak to not putting the team above self, general self-righteousness and arrogance as well as a lack of self-control, which harkens back to number 2.

4. The only guy to be asked to leave the Manning Passing Academy early this year, due to at best being ill (even though he could visit the bars those same evenings), to oversleeping and being late to his appointments, to at worst he having a hangover after a night of partying. And when confronted with this, he blames AJ McCarron for not waking him up. Awesome...

So far, I have:

1. A history of bending/breaking the rules he agrees to when it feels it personally suits him.
2. A lack of self-control, discipline.
3. Disrespect of those in authority over him/arrogance.
4. Lack of personal accountability when he screws something up.

Sounds like a real gem of a pro prospect.
Don't forget he apparently shoved a Grad Assistant at a practice. The kid doesn't respect authority.

JD
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #110
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow View Post
The Browns put their money on Manziel. Ill roll with a NFL franchise that isnt wearing garnet glasses.
I'm not wearing garnet glasses. Did you not see I said neither will be a long term NFL starting QB?

Roll with you who want, but just because they're an NFL team doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. A lot more people DON'T pan out than people that do.

Manziel is athletic but his unconventional style doesn't translate well into the NFL. Guys are bigger and faster and play better D. He won't be able to just toss the ball up for a jump ball and see who comes down with it.

JD
Old 05-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #111
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
I'm not wearing garnet glasses. Did you not see I said neither will be a long term NFL starting QB?

Roll with you who want, but just because they're an NFL team doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. A lot more people DON'T pan out than people that do.

Manziel is athletic but his unconventional style doesn't translate well into the NFL. Guys are bigger and faster and play better D. He won't be able to just toss the ball up for a jump ball and see who comes down with it.

JD
To the extent he tosses up jumpballs, then fine. But I disagree with that notion in general. Manziel didn't complete 68% of his passes as a sophomore and 69% of them as a junior as a fluke.

Did he throw some jump balls b/c he had Mike Evans there to go up and get them? Sure. But did we criticize Garcia for doing that when he had Alshon? No, we called it smart to take advantage of such a great weapon.

I'm not a Manziel fan, but I'll give credit where it's due. He was one of the best passers (not just runners) in the game the past 2 seasons.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #112
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
People would be comparing him to Steve Tanneyhill...and loving Manziel for taunting the taters.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #113
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow View Post
You can do that if you wish. The Browns don't really have a great history of picking QB's at the top.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #114
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

No, I wouldn't. I would always cheer for him to do well because that means the Gamecocks win, but I would not "love" someone that behaves the way Johnny Manziel behaves.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #115
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
To the extent he tosses up jumpballs, then fine. But I disagree with that notion in general. Manziel didn't complete 68% of his passes as a sophomore and 69% of them as a junior as a fluke.

Did he throw some jump balls b/c he had Mike Evans there to go up and get them? Sure. But did we criticize Garcia for doing that when he had Alshon? No, we called it smart to take advantage of such a great weapon.

I'm not a Manziel fan, but I'll give credit where it's due. He was one of the best passers (not just runners) in the game the past 2 seasons.
I am not taking anything away from his on field ability when I say that I don't think he will have the same amount of time in the NFL to do what he did in college. Yes, in college it worked out well, but now you are playing against the best from every other school, and that extra half second you got scrambling around which allowed that receiver to get open might not be there. This is especially true if you are rushing to the far sideline, which is much closer to the hashmark in the NFL than it is in college. Less space to maneuver = less time. And there is the little point that when these guys hit you and you are his size, you might not be able to play for a game or two.

But as a college QB, he was very talented, no doubt about it. I wonder what he could've done with a better attitude.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #116
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
No, I wouldn't. I would always cheer for him to do well because that means the Gamecocks win, but I would not "love" someone that behaves the way Johnny Manziel behaves.
Well you're the outlier. Sorry.

Majority of our fan base would love him.

Reminds me of Garcia with More talent. I loved Garcia.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #117
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post

I wouldn't go as far to say he has more talent than Garcia, Garcia had a hell of a high ceiling, he just failed to reach it.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #118
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

I rooted for Garcia to do well, but hated that he pissed away such a good opportunity. Garcia's idea of bowl game preparation was using the Playstation to challenge the other team on NCAA football. He was a big reason we went 0-3 in bowl games with losses to Iowa, Uconn and Florida State while he was the QB.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #119
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I wouldn't go as far to say he has more talent than Garcia, Garcia had a hell of a high ceiling, he just failed to reach it.
So he's more talented than Garcia
Old 05-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #120
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So he's more talented than Garcia
Yeah, and when he is no longer in the league in 3 years, I will pull this thread up to remind you that he is not.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote