CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
The Yancey
JerseyBird
kingoftheroost
Gamecocks1137
Cockypantherfan
catdaddy66
rabid cock
Bruce!!! (1271)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (1109)
2014 Subway Classic: (987)
Going to the Duck Bo (362)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (157)
movers, furniture do (147)
Streaming nfl games (146)
Cocky at the Duck Co (141)
Happy Winter Solstic (97)
Deer Hunting 2014 (82)
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Bruce!!!
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
***2014 Carolina Panthers
How Long Will The Rebuild
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
Cocky at the Duck Command
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Streaming nfl games
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #41
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Marcus Lattimore statue

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I think #21 should be retired. Maybe #14 as well.
You can't just go retiring numbers for everyone. You can retire their jersey and put it in a ring of honor or something but there is no way either one deserves to have their number retired. You guys are going crazy with all of this.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #42
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Nah, IMO if he wins and SEC here and breaks Bear Bryant's Record, then most likely he will have won a National Title as well. He would be the best of all time in my book.
If he does all that, we need to invade a small country and name it after him
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #43
CaptainCock91
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

I would like to see us do what UNC basketball does with retiring jerseys and numbers.

Reserve retiring numbers for the highest honors, like heisman winner.

For those who aren't on that level, but still did a lot for the program, retire their jersey, and hang a replica of it somewhere inside the stadium. Do that for people like Lattimore, Shaw and Clowney. You honor their number without taking the number out of circulation.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #44
WeCocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 508
WeCocky has hatched from the shell

I believe Coach Spurrier will get a statue. Maybe one for Dabo too!!! Things have been great since he became the coach of that other school!
WeCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #45
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I always liked the idea of using numbers as rewards for current player's accomplishments.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #46
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
I always liked the idea of using numbers as rewards for current player's accomplishments.
I really hope we eventually bring back numbers such as 2 and 38... let them go into circulation.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #47
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Why hasn't that happened yet?
He is still alive. Never make a statute of someone while they are still alive. Why? Remember Jo Pa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Well, from my standpoint, Marcus has done more for this University than any of the people you mentioned. Yeh Rodgers won a Heisman, Suggs an ACC, but neither of them did what Lattimore has done for this program. Lattimore almost single handidly changed the atmosphere of South Carolina football.
You are entitled to your opinion, but it is not factual. There are several players who have done more. Off the top of my head, I can think of Jeff Grantz, George Rogers, Eric Norwood, or Melvin Ingram as examples. As for coaches, clearly Spurrier or Joe Mo would be greater contributors than Marcus. But it is stupid to be debating such an issue because it doesn't create anything positive.

IMO, you are giving Marcus too much credit.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #48
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

This debate could go on and on what about Bruce Ellington, he did as much if not more than Lattimore he played TWO sports on a very high level and went about everything the right way never in trouble.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #49
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
He is still alive. Never make a statute of someone while they are still alive. Why? Remember Jo Pa?

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is not factual. There are several players who have done more. Off the top of my head, I can think of Jeff Grantz, George Rogers, Eric Norwood, or Melvin Ingram as examples. As for coaches, clearly Spurrier or Joe Mo would be greater contributors than Marcus. But it is stupid to be debating such an issue because it doesn't create anything positive.

IMO, you are giving Marcus too much credit.
I agree with Yazoo. We honor players with banners. There may be some area where we could add busts of our former coaches.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #50
SportyCock
4-Star

Male

SportyCock is sharpening his clawsSportyCock is sharpening his clawsSportyCock is sharpening his clawsSportyCock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCocky View Post
I believe Coach Spurrier will get a statue. Maybe one for Dabo too!!! Things have been great since he became the coach of that other school!
Maybe combine the two. A statue of Spurrier with visor and a big grin on his face patting a little boy version of Dabo on the head with the quote inscribed below, "I just love dat boy."

If you want to honor Latti, name the weight or training room for him. Fits.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #51
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

We should put an epic painting of Latti rehabbing at the players' workout area entrance. That would inspire our guys. Especially when he's a coach here down the road.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #52
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
We should put an epic painting of Latti rehabbing at the players' workout area entrance. That would inspire our guys. Especially when he's a coach here down the road.
This is probably the best suggestion in this thread, thats a very good idea!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #53
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
At this time Lattimore doesn't have a degree, and wouldn't be eligible to be a coach.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #54
USC-Hokie
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 700
USC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his comb

I don't mean to brag but I will be field level at the Texans v. 49ers preseason game.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
At this time Lattimore doesn't have a degree, and wouldn't be eligible to be a coach.
A lot of nfl players go back and get a degree during the off season. Such as Cam Newton
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #56
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC-Hokie View Post
I don't mean to brag but I will be field level at the Texans v. 49ers preseason game.
It will be strange seeing Clowney tackle Lattimore.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #57
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post

You have to have a bachelors to coach college football? Wtf?
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #58
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
You have to have a bachelors to coach college football? Wtf?
I am guessing you just skipped over the whole Duce Staley coaching issue. How is someone supposed to coach young men at a academic institution and stress to them the importance of getting their education if they don't have a degree themselves? It would be hugely hypocritical.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #59
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I think #21 should be retired. Maybe #14 as well.
theyre both deserving as of now per athletic department policy to have their jerseys (not number) retired. then you have to be in good academic standing with a reasonable ability to graduate and theres a 5 year waiting period after you complete your last season. you have to have one of the following.

University record holder
A consensus All-American
A consensus National Player of the Year (Naismith, Wooden, Heisman, Outland, Golden Spikes)
An Olympic medalist while a student at USC,
An All SEC 1st or 2nd team for 3 years

shaw, lattimore, jeffery, norwood, mckinley, ingram, and clowney all would be worthy in my estimation. while lattimore's injuries prevented him being a lock (read above, wasnt consensus all american as a freshman and didnt make all sec his last year), as long as he still holds a career record after the 2017 season then he would be a definite.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #60
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Until Ray Tanner's name replaces Carolina Stadium there is no reason to even be having this discussion. He is the only player/coach who has earned that right to have number retired, a statue at Carolina Stadium and at TD Ameritrade, and have a stadium named in honor of him. Tanner as far as I am concerned is that standard.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote