CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
Acockolypse Now
eightohhthree
NineInchSpurs
Gamecock Billy
SwampFox
Winston (4518)
ESPN reporter adding (2447)
SOS: No QB controve (1916)
Waldrop injured (1721)
Just read this. (1047)
In light of our matc (992)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (956)
How we won the UGA g (860)
Christian Walker cal (590)
If we keep winning a (533)
How we won the UGA game:
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Clemson requires sex hist
Christian Walker called u
Winston
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud
ESPN reporter adding to t
If this doesn't give you
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia

Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Best bullpen ever?

The season isn't over yet and there is still a lot to prove but is this the best gamecock bullpen ever?

By my count they have a 1.02 ERA. 5 guys have below a 1 ERA, all of which have at least 13 appearances. This doesn't include our senior Hunter Privette who came in and threw 2.1 scoreless against Vandy and still hasn't given up a run in 8 appearances.

Seddon and Mincey have been dominant and rival the 1-2 punch of Taylor and Price a few years ago but the depth of this bullpen is better than anyone I've seen.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
jojaba71
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
jojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his comb
Default Re: Best bullpen ever?

Nasty!
jojaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
jojaba71
Recruit

Male

jojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his combjojaba71 is developing his comb

This pitching staff is incredible!
jojaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I'd guess we are all in agreement that Chad has to veer away from Tanners formula this year. We are gonna have to either throw our big three early, or the "Vaunted" pen has to dig down and give us innings they may not be use to. That is if we think we need multiple win in Hoover to secure a National seed. No ?
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Certainly the deepest...not sure about the "best". I would like to see a fireball thrower as a closer.

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

I have a hard time looking past the 2011 bullpen. The final ERA was around a 2.45 but there were a couple relievers in there that inflated the numbers because their ERA was around 7. If you subtract those guys and just include Price, Mata, and Patrick Sullivan, the ERA drops below two, and that team won 55 games, and a national championship. Guess what im saying is, Ill let you know at the end of june.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
usc51
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I have a hard time looking past the 2011 bullpen. The final ERA was around a 2.45 but there were a couple relievers in there that inflated the numbers because their ERA was around 7. If you subtract those guys and just include Price, Mata, and Patrick Sullivan, the ERA drops below two, and that team won 55 games, and a national championship. Guess what im saying is, Ill let you know at the end of june.
Think you need to replace Sullivan with John Taylor. His ERA finished around 0.5 I think on the year and broke the record (not sure if school or NCAA) for appearances.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Certainly the deepest...not sure about the "best". I would like to see a fireball thrower as a closer.
Normally I would agree but Seddon Death has a nasty slider and that is a great strikeout pitch.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc51 View Post
Think you need to replace Sullivan with John Taylor. His ERA finished around 0.5 I think on the year and broke the record (not sure if school or NCAA) for appearances.
Ya I missed Taylor. His season ERA was 1.41. So that strengthens my nomination lol.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 100
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc51 View Post
I thought Webb had that record?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 5399400
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ya I missed Taylor. His season ERA was 1.41. So that strengthens my nomination lol.
It was 1.14 in 2011.

John Taylor career stats

Tyler Webb career stats
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #12
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

This thread reminds me of what Andy Demetra tweeted about last week before the Vandy series. He said the last time USC had a reliever to pitch for 25+ innings on the season and have an ERA below 1.00 was 1979's Jeff Twitty. At the time of his tweet, USC this season had FIVE (5) pitchers with sub-1.00 ERAs for 25+ innings.

Since then, Widener was one of them but he gave up 2 ERs in 0.2 IP in the middle-gm loss to Vandy to bump his overall ERA to 1.42 in 31.2 IP.

But the other four are:

Josh Reagan: 0.36 ERA in 25.0 IP
Joel Seddon: 0.48 ERA in 37.1 IP
Cody Mincey: 0.52 in 34.1 IP
Reed Scott: 0.68 ERA in 39.2 IP

Still pretty impressive considering the tradition we've had. Taylor could still get his ERA lowered to below 1.00 perhaps with a few appearances during the postseason, although it's harder now with so many innings pitched, plus some BP arms may not see much action now that the games are becoming more critical. Also, you have to factor in the fact of the newer bats giving pitching stats a boost these days....
Old 05-19-2014, 03:51 AM   #13
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Great job by the starters and guys from the bullpen. Tip of the hat to Coach Meyers.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
SportyCock
4-Star

Male

SportyCock is sharpening his clawsSportyCock is sharpening his clawsSportyCock is sharpening his clawsSportyCock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
Great job by the starters and guys from the bullpen. Tip of the hat to Coach Meyers.
Exactly. You have to believe Tanner is already working on doing whatever it takes to keep Coach Meyers when the head coaching offers come this summer. I hope he can pull it off!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sullie didn't really even have any meaningful innings in 2011. Have to include JT in any discussion of that bullpen though, and Webb as well. Webb's ERA was higher, but he pitched some important innings and his era was inflated based on his starts as well.

It would be a tough call on the better setup/closer if you look at Taylor/Price, Webb/Price and Mincey/Seddon. I agree you definitely have to see Mincey/Seddon in the post season before ranking them though.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

This bullpen is sneaky good. Nobody throws gas, but they get the job done.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote