CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
Lonnie
GarnetSwarm1990
Cocks N Stuff
gadeneer1986
johnnyb
So Disappointed With (2174)
Rank the QBs under S (1532)
Back like cooked cra (1118)
Tennessee game (700)
Who start on the d l (669)
No Comments on the H (533)
Google finally gets (471)
Squats (397)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (198)
So Disappointed With The
Gamecock football Long Te
Rank the QBs under Spurri
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat

Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #261
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit
Default Re: Updated: Diamond DeShields to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh982000 View Post
Deshields comment about her next program:

DeShields just turned 19 last March. Looking back at the 17-year-old that committed to North Carolina in 2012, DeShields realized she emphasized the wrong things. This was her answer when asked what she learned from that process.
“The most important thing that I have learned is that I think it has more to do with relationships, being able to speak and be heard and be listened to,” DeShields said. “I just think that it’s going to be really important the relationship that I have with every coach and every player at whatever college I decide to go to.
“Because these are the people that you spend most of your day with, and I think relationships are going to be very important to me and comfort. I am not saying I did not have that at North Carolina, but that is what is going to be really important for me at this point.
“Not the gear. The shoes. The locker room. That stuff doesn’t matter to me anymore. I don’t want people telling me that I can be Michael Jordan. I want what’s real.
“I want what can’t be touched. I want what’s not tangible. I want emotion. I want love and happiness and all of those things that can’t be touched.”
Where is this quote from ? I would like to read the article .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #262
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh982000 View Post
Deshields comment about her next program:

DeShields just turned 19 last March. Looking back at the 17-year-old that committed to North Carolina in 2012, DeShields realized she emphasized the wrong things. This was her answer when asked what she learned from that process.
“The most important thing that I have learned is that I think it has more to do with relationships, being able to speak and be heard and be listened to,” DeShields said. “I just think that it’s going to be really important the relationship that I have with every coach and every player at whatever college I decide to go to.
“Because these are the people that you spend most of your day with, and I think relationships are going to be very important to me and comfort. I am not saying I did not have that at North Carolina, but that is what is going to be really important for me at this point.
“Not the gear. The shoes. The locker room. That stuff doesn’t matter to me anymore. I don’t want people telling me that I can be Michael Jordan. I want what’s real.
“I want what can’t be touched. I want what’s not tangible. I want emotion. I want love and happiness and all of those things that can’t be touched.”
Hey everyone, I just have an observation. We (Lady Gamecocks) have a bunch of talent in the program now for years to come (and sometimes too much talent is a problem). So if we were to get DD it would be great from a talent point of view. But when I read what she says in the attached note, it just makes me think there are issues here. Maybe maturity and/or maybe other issues. But with all the talent we have on board, it may be just as well if we did not get her. If she thinks she had to share the ball at UNC, she will have to share it even more at USC. To sit out a year from the sport you are dedicated to, it just makes me think there are issues that we do not know about. Maybe it is maturity and homesickness (as with Kelsey Boone) - I hope so for her, as she is extremely talented.
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #263
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
Hey everyone, I just have an observation. We (Lady Gamecocks) have a bunch of talent in the program now for years to come (and sometimes too much talent is a problem). So if we were to get DD it would be great from a talent point of view. But when I read what she says in the attached note, it just makes me think there are issues here. Maybe maturity and/or maybe other issues. But with all the talent we have on board, it may be just as well if we did not get her. If she thinks she had to share the ball at UNC, she will have to share it even more at USC. To sit out a year from the sport you are dedicated to, it just makes me think there are issues that we do not know about. Maybe it is maturity and homesickness (as with Kelsey Boone) - I hope so for her, as she is extremely talented.
Too much talent is only a problem if you have a coaching staff who does not know how to handle it. I don't think that is a problem with Coach Staley. Does DD have a few red flags that Coach Staley should investigate, sure. Does anyone really think that Dawn Staley would offer DD a scholarship here without doing her due diligence and talking with people at the UNC program, and without properly interviewing DD? If Dawn sees things she doesn't like I don't think DD will be coming here. Dawn, IMO, will also be very up front to DD about what she expects from a player and the demands she puts on them. Either way, my point is, I agree there are red flags, but I trust that if Coach Staley elects to offer her a roster spot, will be confident that she will be a productive member of the team. Coach Staley has shown in the past that young ladies who didn't buy into her system are shown the door, rather than staying around to become a distraction.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #264
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecoldcock View Post
Too much talent is only a problem if you have a coaching staff who does not know how to handle it. I don't think that is a problem with Coach Staley. Does DD have a few red flags that Coach Staley should investigate, sure. Does anyone really think that Dawn Staley would offer DD a scholarship here without doing her due diligence and talking with people at the UNC program, and without properly interviewing DD? If Dawn sees things she doesn't like I don't think DD will be coming here. Dawn, IMO, will also be very up front to DD about what she expects from a player and the demands she puts on them. Either way, my point is, I agree there are red flags, but I trust that if Coach Staley elects to offer her a roster spot, will be confident that she will be a productive member of the team. Coach Staley has shown in the past that young ladies who didn't buy into her system are shown the door, rather than staying around to become a distraction.
What are the red flags? Please list them:
Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #265
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
We're really sitting here and picking apart a 19 year old young lady for "perceived issues".

The only thing that's concrete is that she left UNC after doing her one year bid.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #266
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyGuy View Post
We're really sitting here and picking apart a 19 year old young lady for "perceived issues".

The only thing that's concrete is that she left UNC after doing her one year bid.
That is not the point. She is not going to be an easy player to play with. It's a gamble because if she comes here and we can't get her to share that basketball and if that becomes an issue and Diamond all of sudden is "unhappy again" because she is not getting enough PT and Dawn gets on her case for trying to do too much by herself, there is going to be problems. There are legitimate concerns about her being a team player. I'd like us to take a chance on her and see if Dawn can adjust her attitude a bit and be excited about being part of a great TEAM.

What I like is that she will have to sit out year. That is another year for her to grow up. And she gets to practice with the girls, gets to learn how things are run under Dawn. I think we can get this to work.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #267
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:

amen. we certainly don't criticize our coaching staff when they honor a kid's one year contract (scholarship) and don't renew it because despite how well the coaches performed the player didn't meet their expectations. Why criticize a player for honoring their one year committment, then leaving when despite how well she performed something about the arrangement didn't meet her expectations?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #268
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
That is not the point. She is not going to be an easy player to play with. It's a gamble because if she comes here and we can't get her to share that basketball and if that becomes an issue and Diamond all of sudden is "unhappy again" because she is not getting enough PT and Dawn gets on her case for trying to do too much by herself, there is going to be problems. There are legitimate concerns about her being a team player. I'd like us to take a chance on her and see if Dawn can adjust her attitude a bit and be excited about being part of a great TEAM.
Where are you getting this absurd idea that she's a ball hog?? Are you making it up based on ALL the UNC WBB games you've studied?? DD is a phenomenal player and that's it. Get her in and let Dawn deal with it.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #269
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
She shot the ball at UNC, but she shared it as well. Gray got shots off, so did McDaniel, and us USC should know all about Mavunga. I watched the games and not just the ones against USC. People act is if it was a Kobe Bryant situation and she took 30-40 shots a game. Breanna Stewart shoots a lot too, but no one complains. Scorers, score. That's what they're here for. You think she's being recruited to be passive. HA, we have enough of that on the team now.

In general, we need to grasp the concept here that if we ever want to be the best we need to get the best, and that's in any of our sports.

Her "issues" are only "issues" for those who want them to be. And luckily, Dawn is deciding and not any one of us.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #270
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Quote:
She shot the ball at UNC, but she shared it as well. Gray got shots off, so did McDaniel, and us USC should know all about Mavunga. I watched the games and not just the ones against USC. People act is if it was a Kobe Bryant situation and she took 30-40 shots a game. Breanna Stewart shoots a lot too, but no one complains. Scorers, score. That's what they're here for. You think she's being recruited to be passive. HA, we have enough of that on the team now.

In general, we need to grasp the concept here that if we ever want to be the best we need to get the best, and that's in any of our sports.

Her "issues" are only "issues" for those who want them to be. And luckily, Dawn is deciding and not any one of us.
Yeah, since when do we ask players like Jordan to share the ball? If you can score over defense then you SHOOT the ball. If you're a ball hog without skills then you don't last long.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #271
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, since when do we ask players like Jordan to share the ball? If you can score over defense then you SHOOT the ball. If you're a ball hog without skills then you don't last long.
Diamond is good, but she is not Jordan or Kobe level. You are forgetting that she's going to be sitting out next year. In that time other players are going to betting used to having the ball in her hands. Go to players are going to emerge. She's going to have to be able to share the ball with them. It's an issue, it may not have an actual negative effect when the time comes, but it is something that needs to be thought about. If Dawn wants her to share the ball more, she is going to share it or get benched. Dawn is running the show, Diamond won't be just because she think she is Jordan, Diamond will have to play the way Dawn wants her to. If Diamond has a problem take orders she is probably not going to be "happy" here or anywhere or anytime for her life, because we all have someone telling us what to do and how to do things. That is how life is. So we'll just have to see is she can develop a team mentality and not be so demanding about how she is being coached.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 05-19-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #272
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

LOL, guys, need some help. Can't decide if we analysts are psychoing DD or we psychos are analyzing Diamond. Little bit of both, maybe? But when I read her quote w/o context, I feel a young woman looking for a place to call home while she decides what to do with the rest of her life. Since we have a whole team of those already, think she'll fit right in.

If that's the case, who better to help guide her search than Dawn, Nikki, Lisa & Darius? And who better to support her than Gamecock Nation? Don't know what you think, but I think we're more than just a bunch of hot air. Guess that's why I nope she picks Cola. Th[nk we're gonna win with or w/o her, so that part doesn't really matter.

Trust me, what makes life worth living is helping others. What say we help DD find her way home-sorta like we did SOS back in the day. Think you'll be glad we did.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #273
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

If she comes to Carolina, I swear we better win a National Title next season, there is just so much talent on that BBall team now, its unreal.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #274
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

I want Diamond in G&B even with her issues. Dawn can deal with them. She is the perfect coach for Diamond. Dawn will let her play relatively freely but there will be limits and if there are issues I think Dawn will able to remind Diamond who is boss without Diamond losing the love and respect for coach. In fact I would say, Diamond NEEDS Dawn to be her coach, even if she doesn't realize it. She needs to be reigned in a bit and Dawn is one of the few coaches that handle a player like DD.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #275
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Voluntarily leaving a program before your eligibility is up is a red flag. You don't think that Dawn Staley is going to look into that to find out why she was unhappy and chose to leave? A red flag doesn't mean there's a problem, just that there COULD be a problem, and further investigation is warranted. When I hear all these rumors on why she's leaving UNC, of course 95% of them are started by UNC fans trying to justify to themselves why she left and why they'll be better off without her. If Coach Staley elects not to bring her in, then I'll assume there was something there.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #276
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

What I like is that she will have to sit out year. That is another year for her to grow up. And she gets to practice with the girls, gets to learn how things are run under Dawn. I think we can get this to work.
That is ludicrous, she played a year at north Carolina and not one player or coach has come out and as much as hinted she was hard to play with, she was the National Freshmen of the year how hard would it be to play with her? Stop writing assumptions and bad rumors about a 19 year old young lady, over 500 basketball players every year transfer, some to South Carolina. It is not a red flag to transfer to another school it is a young kid changing its mind and looking for a better fit, coaches, teammates, to be closer to home.... stop over analyzing a player that wishes to leave the tarholes, Chapel Hill and the acc since they all suck!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #277
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:

Holy crap there are a lot of 'ifs' in this post.
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #278
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
That is ludicrous, she played a year at north Carolina and not one player or coach has come out and as much as hinted she was hard to play with, she was the National Freshmen of the year how hard would it be to play with her? Stop writing assumptions and bad rumors about a 19 year old young lady, over 500 basketball players every year transfer, some to South Carolina. It is not a red flag to transfer to another school it is a young kid changing its mind and looking for a better fit, coaches, teammates, to be closer to home.... stop over analyzing a player that wishes to leave the tarholes, Chapel Hill and the acc since they all suck!
The ACC does not suck in women's basketball. That is ridiculous. She had some problem with someone at UNC and if you can't see that you are clueless. She is not going to be able to play however the heck she wants her. If she wants that she she should probably go play for a struggling team like UGA. She is going to have to accept Dawn's coaching even if she doesn't always like it.

She DOES have issues. Accept it. Get over it. There is no reason to live in denial about it.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 05-19-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #279
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Holy crap there are a lot of 'ifs' in this post.
There are few things guaranteed in sports.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #280
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The ACC does not suck in women's basketball. That is ridiculous. She had some problem with someone at UNC and if you can't see that you are clueless. She is not going to be able to play however the heck she wants her. If she wants that she she should probably go play for a struggling team like UGA. She is going to have to accept Dawn's coaching even if she doesn't always like it.
I think the acc sucks in general! So who did Ringer have a problem with at Carolina since he is transferring? Who did Bone have a problem with at South Carolina when she transferred since you assume transferring means you have a problem with someone? Every player that plays at South Carolina is going to have to accept Dawn's coaching? She she should go to the place she feels comfortable and she decides to go to if that is USC I have no doubt she will excel!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote