CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
TheUniversityofSC
cocky0
gamecockgal
U-Dub Gamecock
JaxcockFL
b381l
sporkgod50
75CarolinaFan
garnet_black215
A house just blew up (765)
Gators brag on Clown (584)
Marines confront fak (550)
Man Murders neighbor (368)
Ryan Wood leaving P& (337)
Southern Miss player (264)
Predict TAMU 2014 (233)
Another UGA player a (210)
Kick e'm Horns! (194)
2014-15 Premier Leag (166)
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Another UGA player arrest
Coach's media golf press
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
2015 - Traveon Samuel
Any PC builders here? You
2015 - Christian Pellage
Kick e'm Horns!
Gurley or Davis
2016 - Brandon McIlwain

Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #361
cockthehammer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Yeah I remember when that Clowney and that Lattimore committed they dropped down the rankings...no wait?
I believe Lattimore dropped from #1 to #10 overall when he picked us.
cockthehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #362
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockthehammer View Post
I don't think Latti was ever #1.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #363
uscGRAD04
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Yeah Lattimore was the #1 RB not sure if he ever was the #1 recruit. That might have been Seantrel Henderson that year. But ML was part of that class with Lache Seastrunk and Michael Dyer (who is playing with Louisville now).
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #364
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Yeah Lattimore was the #1 RB not sure if he ever was the #1 recruit. That might have been Seantrel Henderson that year. But ML was part of that class with Lache Seastrunk and Michael Dyer (who is playing with Louisville now).
This is correct. Lattimore was in the top 10 at one point on rivals. Around #8 maybe.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #365
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockthehammer View Post
Lattimore was the #1 RB in the country before he committed in FEB and after he committed as well as being the #10 player nationally
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #366
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
He was. Team ranking stayed at #5 though.
7 4*'s or better out of 11 to start a class is really impressive.

This could be the class where you really start to reap the benefits of your recent run of success and national exposure.

I was looking at your class and it impressed me to see how many different states ya'll already have commitments from. I think it was like FL, Va, NC, SC, GA and a couple more.

Usually Carolina had always gotten the big names in SC and maybe grabbed one from GA or NC. Spreading around more nationally is proof your brand is growning.

Anyway just an observation.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #367
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post

This could be the class where you really start to reap the benefits of your recent run of success and national exposure.

I was looking at your class and it impressed me to see how many different states ya'll already have commitments from. I think it was like FL, Va, NC, SC, GA and a couple more.

Usually Carolina had always gotten the big names in SC and maybe grabbed one from GA or NC. Spreading around more nationally is proof your brand is growning.

Actually in the past there was a very good chance we would not get big names from this state.

Happy to see us do well, and I think we will continue to recruit well as long as Spurrier is here.

But one day he will retire. Call me crazy but I really think he is going to stay till at least till Mitch is a senior, though I guess that is reading too much into his comment when Mitch signed.

After that? I am really not sure. His health is good, and the program is really kind of on cruise control now in some ways. Obviously you have to make a continuous effort in recruiting, and odds are some assistant is going to get another job at some point and need to be replaced. But it would have been the same story at Florida.

As long as his health is good, and he is having fun, we might be talking about Snyder longevity here.

But one day he will retire. And the next hire is going to be a very, very important one. I really think Ray Tanner will make a great hire, but the next coach has to be a dynamic recruiter, as well as a good game day coach.

We recruit very well nationally, in the sense of how our classes are ranked, not in geography.

But well you know, Florida, Georgia. If we fell back to the level of recruiting that Kentucky has enjoyed most of the past decade...

Well our success will very difficult to sustain.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #368
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

The list we have right now looks really good. As good as I ever remember at this point in the process. Pittman, Blackshear, etc are excellent players on paper.

Getting a dual threat QB committed was absolutely huge. We won't have any problems filling out this class with inside OL's, DB's, TE's, WR is OK now. DE is a problem this year. Down the road looks much better with Blackshear, probably Key, and some highly rated JUCO's.

Need at least 1 stud RB, 2 would be preferrable. I'm very confident we land at least 1. 2 more OT's to go with Palmer (got work to do there) At least 1 more LB. A high school DT is also a big need for down the road. I don't know of one big time player that USC is in good shape with there.

All in all, if you're not happy at this point, you likely won't ever be. Just need to keep it rolling & fill in the gaps with quality players.

All this is contingent on signing the guys who are currently committed.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 05-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #369
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons
Default Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edit: accidental post. Sorry
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #370
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Blackshear lost his 5th star from Rivals, now #27 nationally.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #371
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Blackshear lost his 5th star from Rivals, now #27 nationally.
old news, keep up
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #372
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post

add Missouri and Louisiana to that list as well....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #373
Garnet/Black Fan
Run Like 21

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Garnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his combGarnet/Black Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
add Missouri and Louisiana to that list as well....
And New Jersey too, I believe.
Garnet/Black Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #374
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet/Black Fan View Post
And New Jersey too, I believe.
Paris Palmer PA....nobody from NJ yet.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #375
bcolinc
4-Star

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
old news, keep up

Mean old fart
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #376
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
Mean old fart
nah, just don't like him or the fact that he was once banned from the PG under another name and he is back.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #377
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Paris Palmer PA....nobody from NJ yet.
Well, just depends of what we use for criteria. Palmer is from NC, and distance from there (home) to USC was a major factor in USC landing him.
If we use his JUCO then we'll have to say DJ Jones is from Mississippi & M Lewis/D Durant are from Kansas.

No right or wrong answer but I tend to go with where a JUCO played high school (i.e where his family lives) because we certainly don't get many high school players from Kansas or Mississippi for that matter. These JUCO guys tend to select FBS schools based on their home towns much more so than where they attended JUCO. I very much doubt we get Lewis if his family is in Kansas or Palmer if his family is in PA.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 05-21-2014 at 10:10 AM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #378
bcolinc
4-Star

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
nah, just don't like him or the fact that he was once banned from the PG under another name and he is back.

As I step back, I apologize
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #379
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
So assuming we take 25, here is my extremely early prediction:

QB - Nunez
RB - Williams
WR - Neal, Washington, Bowman, Christian
TE - Markway, Redmond
OL - Palmer, Hatton, Milton, Bailey, McGirt
DL - Blackshear, Jones, Lewis, Sawyer, Key, Wideman (if Prep)
LB - Pittman, Durant
DB - Fields, Hughes, Arnette, Davis

Others that could be included: P. Williams, J. Merrick, A.J. Turner, V. Jefferson, O. Johnson, B. Love, T. Samuel, N. Murray, C. Clark, B. Sandifer, C. Ferrell, A. Caban, R. DeBerry, D. Cain, N. Hines, R. McCloud
looking good so far/
Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #380
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Using 247's rankings, I'm starting to get pretty confident that we sign a lot of 4+ Star rated guys.

Right now we have six 4+ Star rated commits (6 total):
Blackshear
Fields
Christian
Pittman
Nunez
Palmer

IMO, We are the leader for other guys yet to commit (10 total):
Key (the Oregon thing is a joke)
Jones
Sawyer
Lewis
Durant
O. Johnson
Bailey
Sandifer
McGirt
Hatton

The there are some we have a decent shot at, especially if we push for (5 Total):
Huggins (I don't think he's a 100% tater lock,)
Ferrell (we just really need to push.)
Scarlett (same thing as Ferrell, need to push and he needs to have time away from his old HS Coach.)
A. Clark (we'll find out in a few weeks after his UV and announcement in June.)
C. Clark (if we get Hatton, we have a decent shot here.)
Tate (Have to push much harder.)

Then there are guys I think who will get bumped up to 4 Stars (3 Total):
AJ Turner
Ty'Son Williams
Carlton Davis

All in all, I think we sign Twelve+ 4+ Star rated players this class. We already have 6. We signed 10 last year, 8 in '13, 10 in '12, 7 in '11, and then before that you would have to use Rivals rankings/ratings and the record during the Spurrier era was Fifteen 4+ Star guys in 1 class, in 2007.

We could surpass that 2007 record this class. I think Twelve 4+ Star players is a minimum we are going to sign, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign 8-10 more, to get into that 14-16 total range. Now anything above that would be undeniably the best class ever.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote