CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
b381l
ReadR00ster
jrussjr
WeStillOwnUSC
TAFC 5 1981
Acockolypse Now
COCKYTALKIN
Sir Cuss
eightohhthree
Auburn looks beatabl (3356)
Three young corners (1544)
**official Vandy pre (1233)
King - South Carolin (1016)
Watch ESPN3 regional (762)
Haven't seen one unb (595)
No Vandy Predictions (538)
Hotel in Nashville? (373)
Zumwalt Stealth Dest (333)
Texas Tech assistant (197)
uniforms saturday
The Smoking Pig ... Tater
The SEC East schedule fro
Next years RB situation
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Funny Golf Story About HB
SEC East vs. SEC West
Three young corners progr
**official Vandy predicti
Soccer geeks

Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in
Default WB stadium expantion.

Does anyone have an idea what the maximum POTENTIAL capacity is for WBS?
I read several stadiums are expanding in stages and that some have multiple variables depending of which direction was chosen would determine the max the stadium could expand.

IN addition the absolue max WBS could build out to contain does anyone know if there are other options possible?

And when/if expansion should occur is expanding in stages an option for WBS?
many thanks for your input. WVP
boness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: WB stadium expantion.

There was a plan, a long time ago, to add an upper deck to the north end zone. But right now it looks like they are focusing on building a plaza outside the stadium
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
There was a plan, a long time ago, to add an upper deck to the north end zone. But right now it looks like they are focusing on building a plaza outside the stadium
I seriously doubt we will be expanding seating-wise anytime soon. We, along with most teams in the country, are having trouble selling out our stadium at current capacity due to other ways of watching the game, the economy, etc. I would think they would focus on improving the game day experience before increasing capacity.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Yeah there's no doubt that stadium expansion is not in the cards anytime soon. Just as the posters above stated, there is no need to right now and we have other more pressing needs
paynemd2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Living in another state I didn't realize such attend problems were present given the recent success and historic support. I read around half dozen were currenly expanding to include TAM being the one doing so in stages. thanks
Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

I don't see any stadiums expanding. Maybe adding more luxury seating to replace other seating.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
boness
4-Star

Male

those of you in the know... Is it truth or myth we sold out all the home games during the 1-21??
Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
CockNBlythewood
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 300
CockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to CockNBlythewood

A&M, MSU, and Missouri are all expanding.

We don't need to at the moment. Can't fill what we have. All the North Endzone plans went out the window with the new scoreboard.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

The BOT and the Athletic Dept will never think of expansion unless we start selling even more season tickets. We did really well selling out all the home games last year, but around 15K of those tickets were single game tickets.

There was a thread on here a while back that broke down the numbers of season tickets we've sold, so don't hold me to the exact numbers.

Our stadium has 80,250 seats, we sold around 60K Season tickets last year, we have to have around 7,500 tickets for away teams and the rest are sold as single game tickets or in packages. I think that we'll have to start selling more than 70K Season Tickets, in order for the BOT and AD to think that adding seats is a profitable idea, also they'll be wondering if it would be better to add more luxury seating that they could charge a higher per seat price for (and take away some of the existing bleacher seating to do so.)

What they don't want to do is fork $40Million over for a stadium expansion and then in 4 years struggle to even sell out a division game. It will take more than just 1 year of 70K season tickets sold to get this done. The goal isn't to have a huge ass stadium, the goal is to fit the stadium to the market demands.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
I don't see any stadiums expanding. Maybe adding more luxury seating to replace other seating.
article stated LSU, TAM, ARK, Misso, and Old Miss currently expanding with TAm doing so over two yrs in two stages so as not to interrupt season. also noted KY was slightly downsizing in order to create the fan experience/atmospere you speak of so as to better ticket sales.
Based on my yrs in Cola would never have guessed we were in the boat of KY needing to improve experience in order to sell existing seats. things change.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
boness
4-Star

Male

I noted in the article and again in some of the responding post WBS capacity at 80250.
My recollection when in Cola was that the staduim capacity ws just over 85000. so we already downsized??? or?
Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Instead of expanding the stadium, I'd like to see some upgrades underneath the stadium, where the food vendors and restrooms are etc.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

We don't need to add seats in my opinion. What we need to do is close off those open areas around the big board with some sound reflecting materials. You can build bathrooms there if you wish so there isn't an hour line to use the restroom, and expand the concourse so you can walk around more freely. I also wish all students with an active ID could get into the game, only X amount who come in first get actual seats. The rest can stand in the ramp and cheer.

Those are my wish lists.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
those of you in the know... Is it truth or myth we sold out all the home games during the 1-21??
I asssk this in part due to what I remember reading/hearing when SS ws hired.
major points he choose to accept SC...
SEC
Southern geo
opportunity to accomplish that which had never been done.
golf/specifically job included masters access
and... impressed with fan support selling out all home games dring 1-21 dispite limited historical success on which to build base that filled those games.

Last edited by boness; 05-21-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Truth. Whether or not the stadium was full, I was too young to remember. But all of the tickets were "sold out."

FYI Here is the rendering that came out a long time ago in regards to expansion. Would have been cool. IMO it would have happened if attendance hadn't started decreasing nation wide (for various reasons.)

Capacity was supposed to jump to 88,000. Here's the website concerning the expansion:
http://www.williamsbrice.com/phase.php
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #16
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
I noted in the article and again in some of the responding post WBS capacity at 80250.
My recollection when in Cola was that the staduim capacity ws just over 85000. so we already downsized??? or?
The official seating capacity vs actual tickets sold. Overflow can exceed 85,000...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Instead of expanding the stadium, I'd like to see some upgrades underneath the stadium, where the food vendors and restrooms are etc.
noting several posted similiar opinions. I did not mention that these expantions do include overall renovation. sort of a given at least to some degree I would think.
understand given the predicament you have explained to me that your first choice would be to upgrade what we have. That said I also would think that virtually all of you would wish our predicament was such that our place would need to be and would be included in the expantion as well as renovation list?
yes or no? If no why?
Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
The official seating capacity vs actual tickets sold. Overflow can exceed 85,000...
do you happent know on the sell outs for 1-21? edit saw that thanks
thank you and to all for your responces.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
CockNBlythewood
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 300
CockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to CockNBlythewood

It's expansion.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Remember that back around 2000, whether we were at full capacity or not, the equation was different. Seat licensing was not an issue and tickets were cheaper. The economy had slipped a little bit because of the bursting of the tech bubble, but after 2008, American families really reevaluated their personal economy. When you couple that with higher costs to watch the game and the improved television viewing experience thanks to HD and more games being televised, it's no surprise that it's harder now to sell tickets.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote