CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
rioninusc
davisd9
Regalcock
The Vent and Coachin (8604)
Disturbing comments (3324)
2015 schedule is bru (2636)
UF lets Durkin go (2275)
2015 Early Enrollees (1916)
The U ends apparel d (779)
Bobo to Colorado St? (755)
Keeping it all in pe (447)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (303)
Wilds & Carson B (259)
Marquavius Lewis
2015 schedule is brutal
Bowl Tickets On Sale Now
The U ends apparel deal w
Spurrier Jr in talks with
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2016 - John Simpson
2015 - Ulric Jones
QB Next Season?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Fighting a "Rolled Through Stop Sign" Ticket. Worth it?

About an hour ago on my way home, I pass through a 4-way stop that I go through every single day. I'm a pretty cautious driver because something serious would affect my employment and I don't speed because I don't believe it gets you anywhere significantly faster. Never had a citation in my life before.

At any rate, there was a moped in front of me as I approached the stop sign. The moped scooted about 2 lengths of the moped in front of me and came to a stop while I came up behind him and stopped (at the actual line) then crept forward looking left and right then cross the intersection.

After 30 seconds, I heard a siren and noticed the lights behind me. A 4'7" policewoman tells me I rolled through the stop sign and asked if I was distracted or in a hurry, which I was not. I told her I'm certain I stopped and have never been issued a traffic violation in my life and that I go through that intersection 2 times a day. She issued a $153 citation.

Do I have any chance in hell of fighting this in court or just pay up? It's only $153, but I can find a lot of other things to throw that cash at.

Any thing I should do to prepare myself in fighting it? Photos of intersection? Check to see if line is well painted? Obstructed at all?

Or am I pissing my time away and the one wearing the badge is always going to be right?

Last edited by ColaCock; 05-21-2014 at 06:44 PM.
ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fighting a "Rolled Through Stop Sign" Ticket. Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
About an hour ago on my way home, I pass through a 4-way stop that I go through every single day. I'm a pretty cautious driver because something serious would affect my employment and I don't speed because I don't believe it gets you anywhere significantly faster. Never had a citation in my life before.

At any rate, there was a moped in front of me as I approached the stop sign. The moped scooted about 2 lengths of the moped in front of me and came to a stop while I came up behind him and stopped (at the actual line) then crept forward looking left and right then cross the intersection.

After 30 seconds, I heard a siren and noticed the lights behind me. A 4'7" lady policewoman tells me I rolled through the stop sign and asked if I was distracted on in a hurry, which I was not. I told her I'm certain I stopped and have never been issued a traffic violation in my life and that I go through that intersection 2 times a day. She issued a $153 citation.

Do I have any chance in hell of fighting this in court or just pay up? It's only $153, but I can find a lot of other things to throw that cash at.

Any thing I should do to prepare myself in fighting it? Photos of intersection? Check to see if line is well painted? Obstructed at all?

Or am I pissing my time away and the one wearing the badge is always going to be right?
Well you can do a few things. First of all, how many notes did she write down on the ticket? Are they pretty sparse?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

http://www.wikihow.com/Fight-a-Traffic-Ticket

This pretty much covers it. Remember that the 6th amendment gives you the right to a fair and speedy trial, so if you do request a trial and they have to keep putting it off the whole thing may get thrown out.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Well you can do a few things. First of all, how many notes did she write down on the ticket? Are they pretty sparse?
Only notes besides filling in the required information was "failure to stop at stop sign."

Old 05-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I got one of those here. total bs. where the cop was sitting he couldn't even see the intersection. I would have had to stop in the intersection. I went to court and there were 7 other people there with the same citation and all but 1 of us requested a trial saying the same thing. That we stopped and the cop couldn't even see the actual line. When the judge asked if anyone wanted a jury trial all our hands went up and the judge asked what we are actual citations were. When everyone of us said the same thing he threw them all out. The cop was pissed it was the only time I can think of being happy with the City of Columbia.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

A 4'7" policewoman

What is the relevance?
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Yeah, go to traffic court over that... You have a good chance of getting that overturned
Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
A 4'7" policewoman

What is the relevance?
Eh, I was going to go off on a tangent there regarding her possible distance away from seeing my vehicle and her ability to see over the steering wheel. Figured it wasn't important enough to make a difference.

Also, I've seen more female cops in this area than any in my life...I see more women than men it seems.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

I've never felt like I had a fair shot in traffic court. THe cop is there every month and knows the judge. Have never felt like a "fair" trial was going to take place. If anything they may reduce the fine if you show up.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

HP will probably cut it in half if you show up at traffic court

city/county you are probably out of luck

her vision was probably obstructed by the dash
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Ummm, 153 dollars and six points holmes.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Ummm, 153 dollars and six points holmes.
Only 3 points here, but I am not worried about those at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #13
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Quote:
Only 3 points here, but I am not worried about those at all.
That's good but why aren't you worried about the points A LOT more than the fine?

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
That's good but why aren't you worried about the points A LOT more than the fine?
For one, my company is self-insured so no increase on my behalf. I'm in a position where I won't get reprimanded or questioned on this ticket at all. Two, I don't speed or plan on having multiple traffic infractions in the near future...this was my first ever in my life.

So the fine is all I am really concerned about.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Yeah the points are a HUGE kick in the nuts.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 39263636
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Was it FHP?
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
For one, my company is self-insured so no increase on my behalf. I'm in a position where I won't get reprimanded or questioned on this ticket at all. Two, I don't speed or plan on having multiple traffic infractions in the near future...this was my first ever in my life.

So the fine is all I am really concerned about.
In that case...don't sweat it.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #18
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Id ask for a trial if you stopped. Its what an hour of your life and the risk/ reward is pretty decent

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #19
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
A 4'7" policewoman

What is the relevance?
Maybe that she was a bitch. Just throwing that out there for all of us guys not ballsy enough to say what she really was.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #20
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Ask for a trial though, the more people who ask for one, and win them, the less this happens. Quotas being met are no reason to wrongfully accuse anyone of a crime.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote