CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
b381l
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
gamecockgal
usc1
robgusc76
75CarolinaFan
Master Bedroom
Take-a-Knee
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (802)
Kansas to invest $75 (705)
Spurrier vs Saban (699)
When does fall pract (692)
An Air Algerie Fligh (249)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (240)
Anyone Switching to (224)
Darth Vader 'Vette (154)
iPhone repair (85)
Gamecock Showcase Attende
iPhone repair
2015 - Christian Pellage
college football match up
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
Expect A Healthy Dose of
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
2015 - Davante Davis

Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, 69, says he's not done winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think this year will tell a lot in terms of how long Spurrier is going to stay here. He has a bunch of pocket passers on his roster now and if the offense bogs down and we start struggling, I don't think he hangs around much longer.

I think we have too many weapons on offense for the O to bog down. the key will be the play of the OL. If it is as good as advertised, we can ground and pound and set up the long ball to Byrd. But I think Dylan will be better than that. We just need to OL to step up. I looked at the Clempson and Wisky game this weekend and our OL didn't do much. Really surprised.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I hope he stays longer than he was at UF.

unfortunately I think we slip back a bit this year....I hope I'm wrong.
Pretty safe bet. OTH, it is hard to argue with results.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #23
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I think we have too many weapons on offense for the O to bog down. the key will be the play of the OL. If it is as good as advertised, we can ground and pound and set up the long ball to Byrd. But I think Dylan will be better than that. We just need to OL to step up. I looked at the Clempson and Wisky game this weekend and our OL didn't do much. Really surprised.
Yeah but the formula we have been winning with, we don't necessarily have the pieces for with this year team. We don't have a guy that is going to extend drives by picking up 3rd and 6 with his feet and we don't have a pass rush. We are like a 2005-2009 team with a (hopefully) better offensive line.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #24
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah but the formula we have been winning with, we don't necessarily have the pieces for with this year team. We don't have a guy that is going to extend drives by picking up 3rd and 6 with his feet and we don't have a pass rush. We are like a 2005-2009 team with a (hopefully) better offensive line.
In general I agree with this, but I do think Dylan's underrated as a runner. It won't be a primary weapon of the offense like it was with Connor, but I suspect we'll see more than a few first downs converted by Dylan tucking and running.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #25
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We have too much talent at RB to be going 3rd and 6. This team is nothing like a 2005-2009 team, this teams talent level is 100x better than any of those teams.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
We have too much talent at RB to be going 3rd and 6. This team is nothing like a 2005-2009 team, this teams talent level is 100x better than any of those teams.
We have the same backs as last year and Connor constantly picked up first with his feet. Did you miss the past 2 games of the season?

I didn't say that this team wasn't talented, but the makeup of it is similar to a 2005-2009 team opposed to what we have been winning with the past 3 years. The personnel for the formula for success isn't the same with this year's bunch.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #27
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
In general I agree with this, but I do think Dylan's underrated as a runner. It won't be a primary weapon of the offense like it was with Connor, but I suspect we'll see more than a few first downs converted by Dylan tucking and running.
I'm sure he will get a few but he isn't going to shake anyone. Spurrier said before the Spring game that he runs more than they would like.

My point is that this is really going to be a different team than we've been accustomed to lately.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #28
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We have the same backs as last year and Connor constantly picked up first with his feet. Did you miss the past 2 games of the season?

I didn't say that this team wasn't talented, but the makeup of it is similar to a 2005-2009 team opposed to what we have been winning with the past 3 years. The personnel for the formula for success isn't the same with this year's bunch.
I understand we have the same backs, but Williams was a redshirt last year, I really think this guy has potential to be a great back for us.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think this year will tell a lot in terms of how long Spurrier is going to stay here. He has a bunch of pocket passers on his roster now and if the offense bogs down and we start struggling, I don't think he hangs around much longer.
lets say hypothetically,

if Mitch doesn't pan out, and we do struggle as you mention 7-8 wins or worse, what do you think the probability of Elliot becoming HC and implementing a more run heavy zone read with Nunez, or bringing in more dual threats in following classes?
Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #30
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I understand we have the same backs, but Williams was a redshirt last year, I really think this guy has potential to be a great back for us.
I would say vision wise, he is the best back we have, just going off what I have seen so far.

Mike is a more rounded back, but they both have blazing speed. I think if our o-line continues to get better, Williams will set records.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #31
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
NO problems, only solutions....................follow USC Baseball. It'll shave a month off.
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #32
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Spurrier has a very good QB. He is here still because he has a championship level program ready to grab another SEC East and maybe a conference title. It's just a matter of how big he wins in 2014. It is not a matter of will he win or not. Potentially he has his best offense so far. By the 3rd or 4th game Wammy will have the D capable of stopping all but a handful of offenses in the entire country. He proved in 2013 that he can teach defense to new players very fast.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #33
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Our offense is going to look drastically different this year. I think we have a chance to be a better offense than we were last year, but it will look different.

My concern is on the defensive side of the ball. It does sound like Spurrier is confident in what this team can do, which encourages the crap out of me.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #34
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
Well i hope well win some this year lol
We certainly have a chance to be OK
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

"his teams have gone 42-11 the past four years, ranking only behind SEC powerhouses LSU and Alabama for most wins in that stretch."

Nuff said. We've run the east over the last half decade. It's time to get that SEC championship.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #36
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:

The talent is better across the board completely. Yes we don't have shaw to pickup crucial first downs. Yes we may have to punt the ball a couple more times a game, but in no way do I agree that the makeup of this team is similar to teams from 2005-2009. Theres so many factors that separate this team from those. Character being the main thing. Integrity, the will to win. Hell the offensive line has potential to be one of the best in the Spurrier era. The coaching is better. This team has a winning mentality, unlike those past teams. Our problem then was turning the ball over. We were just a few games short of 10-11 win seasons THEN because of one or two stupid turnovers. Dylan seems like more of a student of the game than those other guys were. You could argue we didn't start having sustained success until Elliott brought that inside zone and we started running the ball primarily. As long as that stays intact, and we limit turnovers we'll be fine.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #37
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:

I commented on how bad the last two games were as far getting any running room for the RBs. Most of the rushing yards were Connor running after the play broke down. I don't know why the OL hasn't performed to the level I expected. We have no excuse this year because the talent on the OL is there.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #38
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
"his teams have gone 42-11 the past four years, ranking only behind SEC powerhouses LSU and Alabama for most wins in that stretch."

Nuff said. We've run the east over the last half decade. It's time to get that SEC championship.
We've beaten the east champion since 2011 (and won it in 2010).

We just seem to crap the bed when we shouldn't the past 3 years
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #39
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Spurrier has a very good QB. He is here still because he has a championship level program ready to grab another SEC East and maybe a conference title. It's just a matter of how big he wins in 2014. It is not a matter of will he win or not. Potentially he has his best offense so far. By the 3rd or 4th game Wammy will have the D capable of stopping all but a handful of offenses in the entire country. He proved in 2013 that he can teach defense to new players very fast.
Its a little premature calling career 50% passer "very good".

Also, Whammy doesn't have pass rushers to bail him out.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #40
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
The talent is better across the board completely. Yes we don't have shaw to pickup crucial first downs. Yes we may have to punt the ball a couple more times a game, but in no way do I agree that the makeup of this team is similar to teams from 2005-2009. Theres so many factors that separate this team from those. Character being the main thing. Integrity, the will to win. Hell the offensive line has potential to be one of the best in the Spurrier era. The coaching is better. This team has a winning mentality, unlike those past teams. Our problem then was turning the ball over. We were just a few games short of 10-11 win seasons THEN because of one or two stupid turnovers. Dylan seems like more of a student of the game than those other guys were. You could argue we didn't start having sustained success until Elliott brought that inside zone and we started running the ball primarily. As long as that stays intact, and we limit turnovers we'll be fine.

That's not what I am saying, at all. I never said we weren't talented and never questioned the will to win, etc. I agree with all of that.

What I am pointing out is that our formula for success the past 3 seasons has been our pass rush and a opportunistic but ball control offense with a QB that can extend drives with his legs. We don't have any of that this year.

We are more like the 2005-2009 teams. We have a drop back quarterback that isn't going to scare you with his feet and a defense that doesn't really have anyone that you have to game plan for. Just like we were 2005-2009.

We are going to be much easier to scheme for with Dylan. Teams will be able to play more man coverage and bring exotic blitzes against an offensive line that quite frankly has been mediocre in the pass protection department. Opposing defenses don't have to worry about turning their backs and having the QB gash them for 15 yards. The offensive line better be able to open holes for Mike Davis because he is now the guy to key in on when we run the football. No more threat of Connor Shaw busting loose for big yardage.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem