CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
trapper82
Gamecocks1137
2000grad
Kaka
Captain9Dragons
Pw00132
carolina_corpsman
uscnoklahoma
auslander
StormOfTalons
ESPN is mad that USC (3507)
Vandy, Missouri, Ken (3004)
Mike Davis (2119)
Cack's Toast of the (1392)
Terrible Officiating (1296)
Worse 1st and goal p (1119)
USC -21 and a hook @ (925)
If (big IF) we can w (832)
USC vs Mizzou on CBS (671)
How the top 25 SHOUL (640)
CockyTalk Football Pickem
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
20 of 31 former players s
Terrible Officiating.
Cooper
Brad Guzan
No Gurley near the goal l
Really excited to visit t
4-Star WR opts for soccer
Mike Davis

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #41
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit
Default Re: South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, 69, says he's not done winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
That's not what I am saying, at all. I never said we weren't talented and never questioned the will to win, etc. I agree with all of that.

What I am pointing out is that our formula for success the past 3 seasons has been our pass rush and a opportunistic but ball control offense with a QB that can extend drives with his legs. We don't have any of that this year.

We are more like the 2005-2009 teams. We have a drop back quarterback that isn't going to scare you with his feet and a defense that doesn't really have anyone that you have to game plan for. Just like we were 2005-2009.

We are going to be much easier to scheme for with Dylan. Teams will be able to play more man coverage and bring exotic blitzes against an offensive line that quite frankly has been mediocre in the pass protection department. Opposing defenses don't have to worry about turning their backs and having the QB gash them for 15 yards. The offensive line better be able to open holes for Mike Davis because he is now the guy to key in on when we run the football. No more threat of Connor Shaw busting loose for big yardage.
Do you think if USC has a second back it will be tougher to scheme against? I'm thinking more of Pharoh Cooper lining up beside DT, and taking those tough down situations. He could get a direct snap, and would be another thing other teams would have to scheme for. On passing downs he can come out the backfield, or line up as a WR.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #42
WeCocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 508
WeCocky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Do you think if USC has a second back it will be tougher to scheme against? I'm thinking more of Pharoh Cooper lining up beside DT, and taking those tough down situations. He could get a direct snap, and would be another thing other teams would have to scheme for. On passing downs he can come out the backfield, or line up as a WR.
Pharoh looked really good at the wildcat this year. He had a run against Clemson where hit the edge of was gone but got tripped up, and then he threw the TD pass at the end.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #43
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Pharoh Cooper is going to be our starting slot (Z) receiver. I don't see him lining up in the backfield very often. He is going to have a ton of balls thrown his way this year.

If USC can get good play from its offensive line, I think they can have success doing what Spurrier wants. Throw it around early, then mix it up, and salt it away with the run game late. But if they don't play ahead of the chains and find themselves in 3rd and forever a lot, its going to be ugly. That and turnover margin are the 2 biggest things I am worried about this year in regards to the offense.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #44
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

And I just don't see where the defense is going to apply pressure to the QB. That mixed with inexperience at Corner is a big problem in itself.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 05-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #45
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Pharoh Cooper is going to be our starting slot (Z) receiver. I don't see him lining up in the backfield very often. He is going to have a ton of balls thrown his way this year.

If USC can get good play from its offensive line, I think they can have success doing what Spurrier wants. Throw it around early, then mix it up, and salt it away with the run game late. But if they don't play ahead of the chains and find themselves in 3rd and forever a lot, its going to be ugly. That and turnover margin are the 2 biggest things I am worried about this year in regards to the offense.
I agree with this 100%. I think 9 wins will be a really good season for this team. Unless, HBC and Co can figure out something different on offense. Not sure our fans realize how many 3rd ands... Connor got for us b/c receivers weren't open.

Also, our fan's idea of how good DT is has been severely skewed by the 2012 Clemson win.

Quote:
And I just don't see where the defense is going to apply pressure to the QB. That mixed with inexperience at Corner is a big problem in itself.
Bama doesn't get a lot of sacks, and TBH, I trust Whammy being more flexible and progressive in his schemes than OBC.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #46
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I agree with this 100%. I think 9 wins will be a really good season for this team. Unless, HBC and Co can figure out something different on offense. Not sure our fans realize how many 3rd ands... Connor got for us b/c receivers weren't open.

Also, our fan's idea of how good DT is has been severely skewed by the 2012 Clemson win.

Bama doesn't get a lot of sacks, and TBH, I trust Whammy being more flexible and progressive in his schemes than OBC.
I agree with this, but still better than going into a season with Smelly or Beecher. I think Dylan will get better being "the guy". He's no Connor but he can get around a little. He's also a little bigger. I also believe that between our O Line and the RBs we've got, Dylan shouldnt have to be in a position to lead the team to a victory every week. See LSU and Bama.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #47
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
I agree with this, but still better than going into a season with Smelly or Beecher.

Not exactly a high bar there.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #48
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's going to look different, that's for sure, because we're missing a stud rushing DE for the first time in as long as I can remember (Clowney, Taylor, Ingram, Matthews, Geathers, Sutton, even Norwood depending on what you consider him position-wise). The question in my mind is whether our philosophy in rushing the linebackers changes and Whammy gets a lot more aggressive with them this year, and perhaps even mix in more CB blitzes. That's the only way I see that pressure getting applied because I do not believe the front 4 on their own will get it done.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #49
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit

Just relax. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Day to day. 'Cause we're going to win it all!!! 5/22/2014 Jethro
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #50
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand we lost Clowney, Hampton, Quarles, Legree and Sutton, but we always get better every year. Besides, a lot of the young guys on the line played a lot last year, it is not like they have zero game experience. You seem to be down on our defense a lot this year, which is understandable, but believe my man! BELIEVE

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #51
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
It's going to look different, that's for sure, because we're missing a stud rushing DE for the first time in as long as I can remember (Clowney, Taylor, Ingram, Matthews, Geathers, Sutton, even Norwood depending on what you consider him position-wise). The question in my mind is whether our philosophy in rushing the linebackers changes and Whammy gets a lot more aggressive with them this year, and perhaps even mix in more CB blitzes. That's the only way I see that pressure getting applied because I do not believe the front 4 on their own will get it done.
This is South Carolina, someone always steps up. See Skai Moore.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #52
petecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
petecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervous

An upside to the transition from Shaw to Thompson could be a greater reliance on players doing their jobs. The downside is obvious. I can't stand waiting to find out!
petecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #53
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Quote:
Strongly agree with both of these. Offense has a chance to be REALLY REALLY good, but potential turnovers concern me. If we can run the ball and manage to get into short(er) third downs, we should be fine. Thompson, I believe, is going to make some plays throwing the ball, but there's also the chance he turns it over too much and puts us in bad positions. That said, I certainly think he can play well when you consider the talent around him. If the OL can hold up, which they should, he could have a big year.

The second post I quoted is definitely worrisome. No pass rushing DE and no one at CB who has proven they can hold up. Maybe we can find someone who can generate some pressure, but I just don't see where it's going to come from.

Those few things combined with each other (turnovers on offense and getting in to third and longs on offense/no pass rush on defense) really make me question how good we're going to be this year. Maybe we can find a way to go 10-2 again by limiting turnovers and scoring a ton.
garnet_black215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #54
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

I believe our offense has the ability to do exactly what it did last year, though Thompson is not as fast he is still a very good opportunity runner, Nosovitch has some good wheels and I'm sure we will see Mitch some, they all will learn from Shaw film. Pharoah can still run wildcat if needed, our ability to spread the defense with what I hope is a strong armed QB picking folks apart with precision passes should be a little better then last year due to a ton of weapons to include RB's, WR's and TE's as well as an improved, experienced, and deep OL.
I think Whammy will be able to pressure the QB with the LB's more this year with the size we have at DL and the new scheme that allows us to take advantage of our speed at LB, the secondary will rely on our coaches to do what we do at DBU with Williams giving the D a great field general for the secondary. I'm hoping Cedrick Cooper makes a name for himself this year as well as Darius English, Griffith, Lamin, and Groves.
A healthy motivated Mike Davis with Wilds banging and Williams as a change of pace back should be fun to watch, can't wait!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #55
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

I'm really excited to have Thompson at the wheel. Time to put that Missouri game behind him and prove he can make better decisions when he's in charge
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #56
pc2687
Walk On

Male

pc2687 has feathers coming inpc2687 has feathers coming inpc2687 has feathers coming in

I am worried for this season. I know I probably stand alone in this, but I am not really impressed by Thompson. One of the key factors in our recent success was how well Shaw protected the ball, and Thompson does not do that. Go back and watch the games he started in, there are at least 3 sure turnovers per game where for whatever reason, the opposing DB dropped the sure INT. Even the Clemson game everyone worships him for, had these sure turnovers, that the Clemson DB just dropped. Thompson will not always be that lucky. Add that to a weakened defense and we are looking to drop a few games this year.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #57
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I don't know why the OL hasn't performed to the level I expected. We have no excuse this year because the talent on the OL is there.
Is it? Just asking an honest question.

I think some people are equating big with being talented. While our OL at times played better as a unit than some past OL's we've had, they had wayyy too many games where they couldn't generate a push or pick up speed rushers. Along with strength work, they need to work on footwork and technique this offseason, because they were often exposed as being slow and ponderous.

The best thing Corey Robinson did was deciding to come back, because if he'd followed the advice of some and declared for the draft he'd likely be sitting alongside Vic waiting on a phone call and wondering WTH happened.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #58
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

The problem I see with blitzing linebackers is if we don't get to the quarterback there are gaping holes in the secondary. Need to hope that we can cover the tight end. We are at our best when we rush 4 and drop 7 which we don't have the luxury of doing this year its appears right now.

I'm going to be really curious to see what Darius English tips the scales at in August. I think 260 is his goal.

I also think there are going to be situations where we play 2 SPURs considering Bryant and Diggs are two of our highest upside players right now on defense and we have got to get these guys onto the field somehow. I think both of those guys can play in the box.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #59
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc2687 View Post
I am worried for this season. I know I probably stand alone in this, but I am not really impressed by Thompson. One of the key factors in our recent success was how well Shaw protected the ball, and Thompson does not do that. Go back and watch the games he started in, there are at least 3 sure turnovers per game where for whatever reason, the opposing DB dropped the sure INT. Even the Clemson game everyone worships him for, had these sure turnovers, that the Clemson DB just dropped. Thompson will not always be that lucky. Add that to a weakened defense and we are looking to drop a few games this year.
I see a lot of people say this but I think you're really getting too critical. Every QB has throws throughout the game that shoulda, woulda, coulda been picked off. Connor threw some ducks during his career.

However, I think your main point should be more about accuracy. That is where Dylan has got to improve dramatically. Completing 50% isn't going to cut it this year.

Last edited by CoverTwo; 05-27-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #60
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
I believe our offense has the ability to do exactly what it did last year, though Thompson is not as fast he is still a very good opportunity runner, Nosovitch has some good wheels and I'm sure we will see Mitch some, they all will learn from Shaw film. Pharoah can still run wildcat if needed, our ability to spread the defense with what I hope is a strong armed QB picking folks apart with precision passes should be a little better then last year due to a ton of weapons to include RB's, WR's and TE's as well as an improved, experienced, and deep OL.
I think Whammy will be able to pressure the QB with the LB's more this year with the size we have at DL and the new scheme that allows us to take advantage of our speed at LB, the secondary will rely on our coaches to do what we do at DBU with Williams giving the D a great field general for the secondary. I'm hoping Cedrick Cooper makes a name for himself this year as well as Darius English, Griffith, Lamin, and Groves.
A healthy motivated Mike Davis with Wilds banging and Williams as a change of pace back should be fun to watch, can't wait!
If we end up playing 3 quarterbacks (non-garbage time) then we are in trouble. The last thing we need this year is musical chairs again.

I do think the offense has a chance to put up some staggering numbers. But it'll start up front with the line keeping Dylan's jersey clean and then it'll be up to Dylan to be mechanically sound and get the ball to Roland/Byrd/Cooper/Jones. A lot of weapons at his disposal if he can be more consistent.

I just think Whammy has his work cut out for him. I really think its too much to expect a Top 15 defense from this years group. The pieces we need to run the 4-2-5 just aren't there up front and we really don't have the talent at Linebacker to be a 3-4 / 3-3-5 team. He is going to have to come up with some creative ways to get teams off the field whether its schematically or with personnel groupings.