CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
GregoryHouse
Dietz
Gamecocks1137
Carolina-Beez
Badazcock
Grit_And_Steel
roosterdude21
Order 66
zcoop
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8798)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1690)
Simple "yes&quo (1369)
Phil Steele just pre (1051)
The Comeback & T (790)
Garcia: Change the R (631)
TeMarcus Blanton (623)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (280)
Wallpaper & Back (250)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Bama @ Tennessee
Anybody just have that &q
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Turtle Beach
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Where in Seattle
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Name a Gamecock

Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #381
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

You look at what sort of talent we've been able to attract at DE recently, and you have to figure that it has a lot to do with the recent run of success putting our DE in the NFL, culminating with Clowney.

So here's something to speculate on. If we start placing some of our OL in the pros, starting wtih Cann and Robinson this year (I'm hoping we can convince Shell to come back as a senior, but he may go too), it's possible in a few years we'll see a similar impact. The staff's been doing a very good job landing the top linemen they've been targeting the past few years, but it's not like every O-linemen out there has had us way up in their list of potential destinations. That's what I'm saying we could lead up to like we've seen with DE.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #382
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Just look at who we could sign at DE for the 2015 cycle: Marquavious Lewis, Blackshear, and possibly Key... those are some big names and to get 3 quality DE in a cycle is big time.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #383
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
This one is an absolute no-brainer. You take 2 if you can get 2 you like.
Remember we're talking kids who won't enroll until after the 2014 season. At that point, even under the best of circumstances (barring some type of medical RS) You would have 3 Sr's & 1 underclassman scholly RB.

Breaking it down further, Davis is far more likely to leave than stay imo.
Wilds could also leave, but might very well stay (who knows)
Carson is a complete wildcard who's suffered multiple injuries (who knows)

It is conceivable you're left with Williams & nobody else. Williams & one other is, at the least, somewhat likely.

Every RB on our roster has also been injured at some point requiring missed games, with surgeries to Wilds & Carson. We were down to our 5th string RB several yrs ago.

It could be argued strongly that RB is one of the positions of greatest needs in this entire class (along with OT,DE, & WR).

Signing 2 & RS 1 to create some class seperation would seem very logical. Depending on a true freshman to come in & pick up all the blocking assignments is, at best, a crap shoot.
Place it above OT, DE, WR and any other given the current roster status and because it seems it would be easier to SDE to WDE. maybe DT, big LB to DE in a pinch. We have regularly switched DL to OL and there are 3 receiver positions and again in a pinch switch one to another. Seems you would see these choices before say elevating a WO to depth chart in most cases.
If we lose schoolie RBs from those 4 u speak of in 15 then wouldn't we most likely then elevate WO to the depth chart before switching players positions with a few possible exceptions like maybe Cooper??
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #384
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Just look at who we could sign at DE for the 2015 cycle: Marquavious Lewis, Blackshear, and possibly Key... those are some big names and to get 3 quality DE in a cycle is big time.
Don't we also expect to resign Sawyer for 15?? he entered JUCO a semester early so as to complete the 3 semester min one yr out of HS I read??
I am aware he may be seen as a future DT but seems as of now still more likely DE.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #385
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Sawyer is a DE all the way.

Wideman was the tweener DE/DT.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #386
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

thanks for the clarification. so that makes another likely DE for 15 yes??
Old 05-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #387
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, just depends of what we use for criteria. Palmer is from NC, and distance from there (home) to USC was a major factor in USC landing him.
If we use his JUCO then we'll have to say DJ Jones is from Mississippi & M Lewis/D Durant are from Kansas.

No right or wrong answer but I tend to go with where a JUCO played high school (i.e where his family lives) because we certainly don't get many high school players from Kansas or Mississippi for that matter. These JUCO guys tend to select FBS schools based on their home towns much more so than where they attended JUCO. I very much doubt we get Lewis if his family is in Kansas or Palmer if his family is in PA.
His home is listed as PA on the commitment list.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #388
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

speaking of Wideman, Korn is reporting his grades have improved so far this semester, but it's still too soon to say how much or how that impacts him qualifying.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #389
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Are we still going after Clein Ferrell?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #390
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Using 247's rankings, I'm starting to get pretty confident that we sign a lot of 4+ Star rated guys.

Right now we have six 4+ Star rated commits (6 total):
Blackshear
Fields
Christian
Pittman
Nunez
Palmer

IMO, We are the leader for other guys yet to commit (10 total):
Key (the Oregon thing is a joke)
Jones
Sawyer
Lewis
Durant
O. Johnson
Bailey
Sandifer
McGirt
Hatton

The there are some we have a decent shot at, especially if we push for (5 Total):
Huggins (I don't think he's a 100% tater lock,)
Ferrell (we just really need to push.)
Scarlett (same thing as Ferrell, need to push and he needs to have time away from his old HS Coach.)
A. Clark (we'll find out in a few weeks after his UV and announcement in June.)
C. Clark (if we get Hatton, we have a decent shot here.)
Tate (Have to push much harder.)

Then there are guys I think who will get bumped up to 4 Stars (3 Total):
AJ Turner
Ty'Son Williams
Carlton Davis

All in all, I think we sign Twelve+ 4+ Star rated players this class. We already have 6. We signed 10 last year, 8 in '13, 10 in '12, 7 in '11, and then before that you would have to use Rivals rankings/ratings and the record during the Spurrier era was Fifteen 4+ Star guys in 1 class, in 2007.

We could surpass that 2007 record this class. I think Twelve 4+ Star players is a minimum we are going to sign, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign 8-10 more, to get into that 14-16 total range. Now anything above that would be undeniably the best class ever.
Just for fun, I used the class calculator using the players you said we currently lead for, combined that with Austin Clark, Jordan Scarlett, Clelin Ferrell, Ty'Son Williams, Carlton Davis, and Damon Arnette (although the second set of names is purely speculation on my part). Based on those names, we would finish with a point total of 274.08. While it's impossible to know how other teams will finish this cycle, that would have been good enough for 8th in 2014 and 9th in 2013, so we can assume that a class like that would be finish around the same spot in 2015.

Like I said, pure speculation. It is also contingent on the current commitments we have ultimately signing in February. Secondly, that's just 247 rankings. I don't know how Rivals does their rankings.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #391
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
His home is listed as PA on the commitment list.....

Palmer waits no longer and commits to USC

By Phil Kornblut

Paris Palmer
Click for larger image

Palmer is a native of Plymouth, NC and he said Saturday the proximity to his home was a major plus for USC.

"I got that home feeling," he said. "It's close to home and easy for my mother to come see me play. And my uncle lives fifteen minutes from the stadium

Last edited by conwaycock2; 05-21-2014 at 09:44 PM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #392
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Palmer committed a few weeks ago.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #393
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Palmer committed a few weeks ago.

Did you guys hear paris palmer committed
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #394
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Never heard of him. Who's Paris Palmer? Is he on American Idol?
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #395
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
As I step back, I apologize
he's an auburn troll
Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #396
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Using 247's rankings, I'm starting to get pretty confident that we sign a lot of 4+ Star rated guys.

Right now we have six 4+ Star rated commits (6 total):
Blackshear
Fields
Christian
Pittman
Nunez
Palmer

IMO, We are the leader for other guys yet to commit (10 total):
Key (the Oregon thing is a joke)
Jones
Sawyer
Lewis
Durant
O. Johnson
Bailey
Sandifer
McGirt
Hatton

The there are some we have a decent shot at, especially if we push for (5 Total):
Huggins (I don't think he's a 100% tater lock,)
Ferrell (we just really need to push.)
Scarlett (same thing as Ferrell, need to push and he needs to have time away from his old HS Coach.)
A. Clark (we'll find out in a few weeks after his UV and announcement in June.)
C. Clark (if we get Hatton, we have a decent shot here.)
Tate (Have to push much harder.)

Then there are guys I think who will get bumped up to 4 Stars (3 Total):
AJ Turner
Ty'Son Williams
Carlton Davis

All in all, I think we sign Twelve+ 4+ Star rated players this class. We already have 6. We signed 10 last year, 8 in '13, 10 in '12, 7 in '11, and then before that you would have to use Rivals rankings/ratings and the record during the Spurrier era was Fifteen 4+ Star guys in 1 class, in 2007.

We could surpass that 2007 record this class. I think Twelve 4+ Star players is a minimum we are going to sign, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign 8-10 more, to get into that 14-16 total range. Now anything above that would be undeniably the best class ever.
excellent post....you have named the majority of the players we are likely to get. I do have a slight difference of opinion......I think we get 14 four * players a little more than the 12 you mentioned. But the truth is, whether they are 3 or 4 stars really doesn't matter.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #397
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Are we still going after Clein Ferrell?
yes
Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #398
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Palmer waits no longer and commits to USC

By Phil Kornblut

Paris Palmer
Click for larger image

Palmer is a native of Plymouth, NC and he said Saturday the proximity to his home was a major plus for USC.

"I got that home feeling," he said. "It's close to home and easy for my mother to come see me play. And my uncle lives fifteen minutes from the stadium
OK.....you call Chris Clark and tell him his site needs to be changed.
Is it really that big of a deal.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #399
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Chris Clark tweeted that a talented OL from Georgia is visiting on Wednesday, and we made "the cut" for another OL from Lousiana. Subscriber content so I can't read the article. Anyone know who they are?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:31 AM   #400
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Chris Clark tweeted that a talented OL from Georgia is visiting on Wednesday, and we made "the cut" for another OL from Lousiana. Subscriber content so I can't read the article. Anyone know who they are?
Sandifer visiting Wednesday. He was here for JR day. It's us and Alabama. Decision this fall during season.

Garrett Thomas OT from Louisiana visiting this summer.....has over 20 offers. Top 5 in no order Michigan, Old Miss, Okla, Texas and Carolina. No offer from either LSU or Alabama. Decision this summer.