CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Gamecocks1137
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2086)
Have you ever been s (1313)
Tennessee Offense Br (830)
Key for 2015 defense (802)
Women's Team Ranked (534)
Skai Moore out for U (488)
This season and recr (449)
Lebron makes Clevela (355)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (244)
For all the uniform (205)
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #21
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2016 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtsmom View Post
Don't really think you can question Altidore's place on the team based upon his stats at Sunderland. That team was an absolute dumpster fire from top to bottom this year. He has proven to be an effective goal scorer for the US Team, as well as AZ, the Dutch team he played for before going to Sunderland.
Altidore can not create for himself and can not score against elite defenders, except maybe set pieces. Not saying he should not be on the team, but there is no way Donovan was the 5th best forward on that team. Donovan can do what no other forward on that team has done, create for himself.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #22
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Altidore can not create for himself and can not score against elite defenders, except maybe set pieces. Not saying he should not be on the team, but there is no way Donovan was the 5th best forward on that team. Donovan can do what no other forward on that team has done, create for himself.
Two totally different styles of strikers. Altidore is the epitome of a target man. (Also do you forget his goal against Spain in 09).
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Official World Cup 2014 Thread

I am going to say this and probably get blasted for it but Donovan is past his prime. I think he could have been a good sub but no way was he going to contribute much this year starting wise if he got picked. He has said it himself that he is not as fit as he used to be and he would needs a few days rest after a game. We don't have that much time in between games for him to recoup. One of the players I am surprised didn't make it is Boyd though. Had a killer year but I can see the clog we have up top. Overall I think it's a solid roster. Going to be tough but if we win vs Ghana out the gate I think we have a chance of getting out the group. I do love how people who don't know much about the sport and see that Landon isn't on the roster think we are doomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Two totally different styles of strikers. Altidore is the epitome of a target man. (Also do you forget his goal against Spain in 09).
One goal does not a starter on a WC roster make. Altidore's problem was that he was coached as a protypical balck athlete playing soccer instead of a soccer player. He is still trying to break through that bad coaching he received, which was play it over the top and just let him outrun everyone and strike the ball. No building of the attack. I've seen guys coached like that and they have SO much more to contribute if the coaches would actually develop the players as opposed to just winning a game.

Jozy has gotten better, but he is not the player that he should be at his age at this current time

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
That does not matter, his job is to either score or assist on goals. He doesn't do either. Altidore would have been better served with Donovan on the team. Donovan is past his prime but he brings an element to this team that is severely lacking-creativity. Put him in with 20 to go if we are behind, and let him do what he does best. I don't see another player on that team that can do that. Donovan creates chances for himself and others, without that we are a much weaker team.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #26
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
I am going to say this and probably get blasted for it but Donovan is past his prime. I think he could have been a good sub but no way was he going to contribute much this year starting wise if he got picked. He has said it himself that he is not as fit as he used to be and he would needs a few days rest after a game. We don't have that much time in between games for him to recoup. One of the players I am surprised didn't make it is Boyd though. Had a killer year but I can see the clog we have up top. Overall I think it's a solid roster. Going to be tough but if we win vs Ghana out the gate I think we have a chance of getting out the group. I do love how people who don't know much about the sport and see that Landon isn't on the roster think we are doomed.

The whole point is he certainly has to be one of the best 23 players America has to offer.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #27
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
The whole point is he certainly has to be one of the best 23 players America has to offer.

Yes but you could also look at it like this. Try and get experience for some of the young guns for the future considering he wouldn't have gotten much PT in Brazil. I understand where you are coming from though. He has never really been on klinsman good side after he decided to be an idiot and take a year sabbatical from soccer during qualifying. IMO that didn't help him out in the least bit fitness or playing wise. You can't quit being a professional for that long and just pick back up where you left off a little less than a year before the biggest tournament in the world/his life

Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #28
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

First of all, I'm glad Edu isn't going/

This is similar to Peyton Manning vs Andrew Luck IMHO---keep the older guy who may or may not be 100% or chance on young talent for the future.

The reason EURO squads keep the older guys around so long is that their level of play is above Donovans and they are playing to win NOW...we're not there yet.

Klinsmann has NEVER played favorites. He feels, rightly so, that the media treats Donovan special...and they do.
He's not as good as he was 5 years ago. He was kryptonite to Mexico and he hasn't shown that in a couple f years. Taking a year off hurt him.

Klinsmann has an eye for building talent and teams. I trust his judgement. LOTS of young players on this roster tells me 3 things.

1) He's building for the future, not just to win now. We have literally 0 shot at winning the WC this year. I will be hoping, believing and cheering that we can win...but there it is. As a coach his job is to plan, perceive and coach. He's eyeing the 2018 WC and is going so by getting lots of young players some EPIC experience against 2 of the most consistent programs in the world. Germany and Portugal.

2) He is shifting mentality from 2 "superstars" to cohesive and functional units that play off each other.

3) He values true position players rather than athletes...and this is a GREAT THING!!

I believe:

1) Germany will win our group with 7 points. W Port, W Gha, D US
2) We will take second with 5 points. D Ger, D Port, W Gha

I feel we will then beat Belgium only to face Argentina...and we will be returning home...lol

IF we make it out of the GRoup Stage, this will be an EXCELLENT showing with this young team and that makes leaving Donovan home a HUGE win in my eyes.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #29
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Nah, he's old and washed up. We need the young legs out there to keep up in the rain forest. Also you have to figure in that we have to travel further for our three group games than any other country, so we need the younger guys that can bounce back after all the travel. This looks like a good move to me. If we are going to get through the group of death we need a secret weapon, and youth and speed might just be it. Worst case scenario is we get some of the young guys some world cup experience for next time around.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Join my league at http://bracket.mlssoccer.com/og_obje...we&action=join

League Password: spurrier
Old 05-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #31
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

Also another point is Landon broke onto the scene big time in the '02 Korea World Cup at the age of twenty. Hopefully some of these youngsters can do the same this cycle!!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #32
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Landon will be missed, Julian Green is the chosen one

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Nah, he's old and washed up. We need the young legs out there to keep up in the rain forest. Also you have to figure in that we have to travel further for our three group games than any other country, so we need the younger guys that can bounce back after all the travel. This looks like a good move to me. If we are going to get through the group of death we need a secret weapon, and youth and speed might just be it. Worst case scenario is we get some of the young guys some world cup experience for next time around.
This is what I was getting ready to post.

Another reason Landon was possibly cut - travel schedule and the playing conditions in Brazil. Landon has already talked about not being able to go all out in training every day like he used to. While he could be serviceable in Brazil, you have to think about the extreme conditions of heat and humidity that the US will face. At 32 and even by his own admission, Landon may not be ready for this.

His form wasn't great with the Galaxy. If you take the name off the jersey, look at his age and current form, how in shape and ready he is for the grueling conditions in Brazil, and this may not be a horrible situation.

Many talk about Julian Green. However, can you imagine his speed and attacking prowess coming off the bench in the jungle against a tired Portugal team? These are things Landon can't offer at his age.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #34
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'm not completely in tuned with each individual player on the roster but here is my 2 cents about Landon.

I believe the draw that we got played a bit of a role in the decision not to pick him. It is unlikely we advance out of our group so why not give the young up & comers a chance to grow and prepare for the next cup? I think if we got a more manageable draw that Landon would be on the team because of his ability to put the ball in the back of the net at World Cup.

I will forever be grateful for what Landon has done for US Soccer but I do agree with this move by JK. Let's see what the young guys can do against the rest of the world.

I think Johannsson has a big tournament.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #35
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

I also wish Brek Shea was brought in INSTEAD of Beasley. I do think he has a higher upside but it is what it is.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #36
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
First of all, I'm glad Edu isn't going/

This is similar to Peyton Manning vs Andrew Luck IMHO---keep the older guy who may or may not be 100% or chance on young talent for the future.

The reason EURO squads keep the older guys around so long is that their level of play is above Donovans and they are playing to win NOW...we're not there yet.

Klinsmann has NEVER played favorites. He feels, rightly so, that the media treats Donovan special...and they do.
He's not as good as he was 5 years ago. He was kryptonite to Mexico and he hasn't shown that in a couple f years. Taking a year off hurt him.

Klinsmann has an eye for building talent and teams. I trust his judgement. LOTS of young players on this roster tells me 3 things.

1) He's building for the future, not just to win now. We have literally 0 shot at winning the WC this year. I will be hoping, believing and cheering that we can win...but there it is. As a coach his job is to plan, perceive and coach. He's eyeing the 2018 WC and is going so by getting lots of young players some EPIC experience against 2 of the most consistent programs in the world. Germany and Portugal.

2) He is shifting mentality from 2 "superstars" to cohesive and functional units that play off each other.

3) He values true position players rather than athletes...and this is a GREAT THING!!

I believe:

1) Germany will win our group with 7 points. W Port, W Gha, D US
2) We will take second with 5 points. D Ger, D Port, W Gha

I feel we will then beat Belgium only to face Argentina...and we will be returning home...lol

IF we make it out of the GRoup Stage, this will be an EXCELLENT showing with this young team and that makes leaving Donovan home a HUGE win in my eyes.
Interesting analysis. I can see us getting 4 points. I don't think we will draw with Germany. And I don't think we will beat Belgium. At almost every position, they are better than us.

As for Donovan, I agree with your thought process. See my comments above.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #37
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'm not completely in tuned with each individual player on the roster but here is my 2 cents about Landon.

I believe the draw that we got played a bit of a role in the decision not to pick him. It is unlikely we advance out of our group so why not give the young up & comers a chance to grow and prepare for the next cup? I think if we got a more manageable draw that Landon would be on the team because of his ability to put the ball in the back of the net at World Cup.

I will forever be grateful for what Landon has done for US Soccer but I do agree with this move by JK. Let's see what the young guys can do against the rest of the world.

I think Johannsson has a big tournament.
I'm excited about Johannsson as well. I believe our travel schedule and the conditions in Brazil were a factor in choosing Landon. See my comments above. Green in the jungles of Brazil late in a match is a better choice than Landon.

I disagree about getting out of the group. Ronaldo is awesome but they struggled to even qualify for the WC. I don't think Portugal is the #3 team in the world - far from it.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #38
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I also wish Brek Shea was brought in INSTEAD of Beasley. I do think he has a higher upside but it is what it is.
With the inexperience we have in the back, Beasley was guaranteed to be there. He is a defender now and no longer a midfielder. I question bringing guys like Yedlin and Brooks but I guess Klinsmann wants young bodies back there on defense to get some experience and give him some options since there are question marks at the back.

There are two areas I think the US is solid - goalkeeping and midfield. I don't think Brek Shea offers anything that the other players going don't have. Shea is still young. He will have a good shot at the next WC, especially if he can develop and get some more experience in Europe.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #39
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

That is like comparing apples to oranges right now, they play different positions these days. Beasley is our starting left back and Shea would be a left mid.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #40
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Big News!!

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...0199--sow.html

German midfielder Lars Bender, OUT!!!