CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5578)
looks like we have 2 (1996)
Decommitment from Te (928)
Beat Miami (815)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (640)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (624)
Cleveland Browns Hea (617)
Garcia and Clemsux T (604)
Need a dog kennel (239)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (170)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Previewing Clemson
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #141
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Can we still get a top 8 seed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I was being sarcastic.

On a side note, two years ago when we hosted Oklahoma my cousin and I were standing on the left field foul pole, and the ESPN camera man was behind us, his wire guy was pulling wire, and we were going crazy, and he randomly told us tha the had been to many SEC baseball stadiums, both regular and post season, and he had never been to a stadium that was as loud, and hyped up as Carolina Stadium.

He said he enjoyed working in there more than any other stadium he had been to and he had seen some huge games.
I think the craziest baseball series (where the crowd was just intense) was vs ECU at the Sarge in 2003(Supers), when Mazey(ECU coach) made all those comments towards the fan base and the school... It was like 5,000 people wanting an execution, and voicing their opinion for both games...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #142
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1300000000
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Sad thing.... I could see us finishing 9th after the dust settles...... but 9th aint 8th! LOL
Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #143
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

If Ole Miss and Miami lose today...there might be a smidgen of a possibility that they consider us for national seed...BUT I doubt it.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #144
Woody7687
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Just forget the national seed. We dont deserve it right now. We need to re focus and hopefully right the ship because the bats are cold and the pitching has been horrendous. If we get it great but I dont see us getting it.
Woody7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #145
jesse james
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
If Ole Miss and Miami lose today...there might be a smidgen of a possibility that they consider us for national seed...BUT I doubt it.
I think Mississippi is in at this point - or at very least they would be ahead of us. Miami however is in trouble . . . they are 40-17 (we're 42-16); they are 0-2 in their tournament (making them 8-4 in their last 12 - same as us), with one more to play against Duke on Saturday; their RPI has dropped to around 15 (we're about 13 now); and they're record against Top 50 RPI is only 11-11 (we're 15-12).

There are a couple of other teams that could sneak into that 8th slot since Miami and SC don't seem to want it though . . .

Cal-Poly is 45-10 with a poll avaerage of #4. They lost 4 of their 10 games in one week but bounced back to finsh their season 9-1 in their last 10 games (they dont have a conf tournament). Their problem is that they are only 4-4 against teams in the top 50 RPI, and their own RPI is #17.

Oklahoma State is 42-15 with a poll average at #8; they're 10-2 in they're last 12 games; and 15-5 against top 50 RPI. They're problem is that their own RPI is about #22, which is the main thing that has kept them out of the talk. Doubt the selection committee would go that deep in RPI for the 8th seed . . . but with that poll avaereg and record against top 50, they could be a contender (note: they lost to Texas last night though)

I really didnt think LSU had a chance a few days ago (most people seemed to think that even hosting a Regional was in questin for them), but they could play their way into a National Seed now. They're 42-14 with a poll average of #11 and 9-3 in their last 12. They're 14-12 agaisnt the top 50 and their RPI is up to about #12 now.

TCU is 40-15 with a poll average of #16, but they're 10-2 in their last 12; 15-8 against top 50 RPI; and their own RPI is up to around #11.

The only other team that had been getting any talk about a National Seed is Houston. They're 42-15 with a poll average of 15. They're 9-3 in their last 12, but they lost to Connecticut yesterday and that dropped their RPI from #9 to about #14, and they are only 8-8 against the top 50.
jesse james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #146
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

No, we will not receive a National Seed IMO.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #147
jesse james
4-Star

Male

jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs

Decided to put the info frrm my last post in a table to make it easier to compare.

Team........ Record Polls RPI Top 50 Last 10 Conf

Mississippi...40-16....13...10...15-12...7-3...1-1*
Miami ........40-17.....8....12...11-11 ..8-2...0-2*
SC.............42-14....11...13...15-11...8-2...0-2
Cal-Poly ....40-15.....5....17......4-4....8-2...n/a
Okla State..42-15.....8....22....15-5....9-1...1-1*
LSU...........42-14.....11...14...14-12...7-3...2-0*
TCU...........40-15....16...11....15-8....8-2...2-0*
Houston.....42-15.....15....9......8-8....8-2...1-1*

Last 10 = last 10 games of regular season (before conf tournament)
* = still playing in conf tournament

Last edited by jesse james; 05-23-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #148
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse james View Post
Decided to put the info frrm my last post in a table to make it easier to compare.

Team........ Record Polls RPI Top 50 Last 10 Conf

Mississippi...40-16....13...10...15-12...7-3...1-1*
Miami ........40-15.....8....12...11-11 ..8-2...0-2*
SC.............42-14....11...13...15-11...8-2...0-2
Cal-Poly ....40-15.....5....17......4-4....8-2...n/a
Okla State..42-15.....8....22....15-5....9-1...1-1*
LSU...........42-14.....11...14...14-12...7-3...2-0*
TCU...........40-15....16...11....15-8....8-2...2-0*
Houston.....42-15.....15....9......8-8....8-2...1-1*

Last 10 = last 10 games of regular season (before conf tournament)
* = still playing in conf tournament
I like you thinking

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #149
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

Ole Miss will get the national seed...bottom line
Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #150
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yep, time to focus on regionals. With the number of injuries we have had this year I think I'm happier with no national seed and resting the injuried players the next few days than I would have been playing all the way through the SEC Tourney and getting the seed. Depending on the luck of the baseball gods we could still end up with a home Super Regional anyway. With the way Virginia has been playing lately I wouldn't mind getting paired with them for Supers. They just lost a series to Wake and lost their first ACC Tourney game to Maryland. Plus we have already beaten them in Charlottesville at a Regional a few years back.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.

Last edited by markp_vip; 05-23-2014 at 12:20 PM.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #151
jesse james
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I agree . . . there are 7 seeds that seem to be locked in at this point:

Oregon State
Virginia
Florida
Florida State
Indiana
La-La
Mississippi

The eigth spot was Miami's to lose, and so far they are 0-2 in the ACC tournament - so the question is, is Maimi still in? And if not, then who gets the eigth seed. I agree that we probably forfeited any chance with two ugly outings in Hoover, but even with that our other measurables are comparable with all of the other teams looking to fill that spot.

The question all along has been whether the ACC or the SEC would get three teams in the top eight National Seeds. Miami was the third team from the ACC, leaving the SEC with just two. But if Miami isnt' out already, a loss tomorrow to Duke would definitley ice them . . . possibly opening the door for a third SEC team - in which case it would almost certainly be down to us and LSU (if they win another game or two) at this point.

Or would the committee take an "outsider" and leave it with just four Natinal Seeds from the ACC and SEC combined?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #152
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Oklahoma State might get that last spot...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #153
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudly

I don't see how we could be a top 8 after flop in Hoover 19-2 is not look good to anyone voting on top 8 seeds. I don't understand if it is coaching, players attitude but we hit Hoover the team for years has stunk. It's embarrasing . we do not do good on the road , remember at UNC last year or the 3 years before the 1st title we lost to 3 schools ( NCSU , UNC , ECU) all at their schools. Home is our haven away is our hell. I hope this crew can show up and rock . we'll see.
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #154
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

I was listening yesterday after the loss and I don't remember who said it but the announcer said that Carolina had done a good job of putting Hoover behind them. This is BS mentality if you ask me. When are we going to go into Hoover looking to win it? In my opinion it you approach each game like it's your last the whole 8th seed scenario takes care of itself. You play each game like it's the last rather than saving up for something bigger. Just don't get it
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #155
beak2
4-Star

Male

beak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his comb

I am just not sure Holbrook will ever get us anywhere. Hope I am wrong. Go cocks !
beak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #156
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

Ole Miss loses out... Lost to Arky twice... Interested to see where that puts then in the RPI... Probably won't matter, but stranger things have happened.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #157
jesse james
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Ole Miss loses out... Lost to Arky twice... Interested to see where that puts then in the RPI... Probably won't matter, but stranger things have happened.
Nolan has dropped Mississippi to #14 in RPI (right behind us) after their loss today. Boyd hasn't updated his RPI yet.

Miami is down to #16 in RPI on both Nolan and Boyd and they'll probably fall a little more even if they beat #81 Duke tomorrow.

For the record, I agree with those the say that we don't deserve a National Seed the way we played the last two games, but our main competition going into conf tournaments hasn't fared much better, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #158
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 939000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I just want Bright back. I'd love Max back too, but I don't think it's gonna happen like we want it to. We were on the cusp of something truly special, but that's in our rearview. In all honesty, if we make it through to the Supers, given the adversity we have had to overcome, we will have represented Gamecock Baseball very well. See you at Carolina Stadium next week..................... Go Cocks !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #159
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I really would have liked to have gotten a super, but right now all I care about is getting Bright and Max back into the line-up and winning our regional. If those guys are in the line-up and productive I don't worry about playing anyone in the country. Without them we are an average team at best.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #160
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1300000000
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

One thing to consider, if writing a check to the NCAA helps secure a bid, I would believe we are at least in the conversation!

My observation of this years team, is that they have been under a lot of pressure to meet the goals and expectations of the season. I have to believe that once we get our regional, and seed or not, we will relax and take a breath..... then work to get the magic back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak2 View Post
I am just not sure Holbrook will ever get us anywhere. Hope I am wrong. Go cocks !
Couple points......
1) Coach Holbrook played a significant roll in our top level success 2010-2012
2) Coach Holbrook was a hand picked successor by Ray Tanner
3) Coach Holbrook works tirelessly in coaching our team and recruiting

Not sure what you base your opinion on.............