CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Acockolypse Now
COCKYTALKIN
WeStill0wnUSC
Spurticus
USCBASEBALL1
BiggerLSUfan
The Yancey
B-G
Rooster'srule
sporkgod50
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (800)
Hercules - review (383)
Gamecock Coaches as (371)
help with army insig (364)
Ranking the Opposing (345)
Not a Rival.. (243)
I'm a grand godfathe (210)
NCAA Football 15 (203)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (171)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (144)
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
2015 - Mon Denson
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Not a Rival..
Jay Paterno Attempts To R
Tenn vs WVU in Charlotte
Gamecock Coaches as Recru
Green and Lammons

Old 05-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #21
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cross-Fit's new...draw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
As for that ridiculous video, its been going around for a while. It's the "go-to" vid for people that want to talk crap about something they don't know anything about.

We could go on and on about this cult, let these exercisers come do a tri workout they would get dropped in the pool. One question who is the governing body as who certifies and sanction these "trainers"? That's pretty easy there isn't one.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

"cult" - nice.

Congrats on your youtube search. There are shitty trainers everywhere in every type of fitness methodology.

As for workouts - getting dropped in the pool - HIGHLY doubt it. HIGHLY....but I'm just speaking for me personally.

CrossFit Headquarters is the only governing body. Here's a newsflash - no fitness cert is regulated. That's the problem with the industry - you've got great trainers, and ones that truly suck, and not many ways to tell the difference other than word of mouth.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #23
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

^To each his own you can stick with your exercise mastering crossfit and I will stick with triathlons.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPit

I knew I would f find gaichon in here defending crossfit haha. And any trainer that doesn't do technique classes with their clients and doesn't correct bad form is a bad trainer. Pure and simple. I never let any of my clients go in blind. If I know they can't do a proper clean and jerk and it's on the days wod, then we will practice form before hand and substitute clean and jerks with something else. Way to generalize an exercise program and their trainers though.
Rewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #25
Gaichon

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
^To each his own you can stick with your exercise mastering crossfit and I will stick with triathlons.
You're def right there - to each his own. I'll stick to being good at many different domains of fitness while you remain a fringe athlete.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Crossfit works for many people, so I've got no specific beef. For my money though, I'd like to do something more fun that can crossover as a specific skill. I have done Krav maga and jiu jitsu, but both are hard on my bones now that I'm out of my 20s. For now I will continue to run a few miles, hike, swim, surf when I can, and lift for pretty boy muscle maintenance. Truly useful strength doesn't seem to be necessary in my life anymore. All I wanna do is look good enough to keep my lady interested, and have enough wind to outrun your average dude and play hoops.

Not that anyone on here cares about any of this...

#toiletpost
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
while i agree, too many crossfitters try to do olympic lifts heavier than they should too fast. they should drop their weight, and focus on form.
I don't know what's going on in that video, but it seems to be 1-rep max-centric. Maybe this is just the workout they made for the clip, at the conclusion of a cycle. In my experience, with quick lifts, something like 5x5 hang cleans, followed by 5x5 push presses, with good form, is more effective, and more strength-progressive. Maybe throw in top-effort lifts on a cyclical basis.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #28
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Cross-Fit has it's place. It's a self-imposed progression of functional exercises.

Beats the pants off pyramid schemes and muscle isolation...which is the most ****tarded thing I've ever heard of UNLESS you're a bodybuilder
Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPit

Any form of exercise is okay with me. I think it's weird to hate on people because they work out differently and with different goals
Rewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
Gaichon

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Crossfit works for many people, so I've got no specific beef. For my money though, I'd like to do something more fun that can crossover as a specific skill. I have done Krav maga and jiu jitsu, but both are hard on my bones now that I'm out of my 20s. For now I will continue to run a few miles, hike, swim, surf when I can, and lift for pretty boy muscle maintenance. Truly useful strength doesn't seem to be necessary in my life anymore. All I wanna do is look good enough to keep my lady interested, and have enough wind to outrun your average dude and play hoops.

#toiletpost
Nothing at all wrong with any of that.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #31
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
You're def right there - to each his own. I'll stick to being good at many different domains of fitness while you remain a fringe athlete.
Hate to break it to you amateurs tris have been going for a heck of a lot longer than crossfit. Any triathlete would absolutely destroy these crossfit exercisers, that's just the sprint triathletes, that's not even brining up the Olympic distance triathletes, and sure as heck can't even come close to the Ironman level. Triathlons are not on the fringe, last time I checked there is more prestige in winning an Ironman than winning in crossfit.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #32
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post

#toiletpost
I'm in the same boat. I'm 43, and I do the basics to stay in shape( lift 3x/week, and do cardio 6-7x/week)... Not trying to impress anyone, been married 16 years..
Old 05-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

A. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Hate to break it to you amateurs tris have been going for a heck of a lot longer than crossfit. Any triathlete would absolutely destroy these crossfit exercisers, that's just the sprint triathletes, that's not even brining up the Olympic distance triathletes, and sure as heck can't even come close to the Ironman level. Triathlons are not on the fringe, last time I checked there is more prestige in winning an Ironman than winning in crossfit.

You misinterpreted the point of his post

#NotSurprised
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #34
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

A. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudly

I think what Gaichon means when he says "fringe fitness" is not the popularity of the approach (who bases the popularity of a workout routine on whether they choose to employ said routine? Losers, that's who...do what works for you)

But rather, fringe fitness in that triathlons only push your endurance. From my experience, training for triathlons ignored strength and power and focuses only on cardio endurance. Cardio endurance is great, but what about the other aspects of fitness? Not to mention mobility...

Crossfit employs concepts that encourages all areas of fitness. And let's be real- you don't have to do "crossfit" specifically to do this. Many people have been employing crossfit concepts for much longer than crossfit has been around.

People just like to pick on the term "crossfit" because of those people that give it a bad name, and people like pointing out "fads" even though, like I said, crossfit concepts have been around longer than crossfit, so I'm not sure how it's a fad.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Gaichon

Male

“Fringe Athletes”

There is a near universal misconception that long distance athletes are fitter that their short distance counterparts. The triathlete, cyclist, and marathoner are often regarded as among the fittest athletes on earth. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The endurance athlete has trained long past any cardiovascular health benefit and has lost ground in strength, speed, and power, typically does nothing for coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy and possesses little more than average flexibility. This is hardly the stuff of elite athleticism. The CrossFit athlete, remember, has trained and practiced for optimal physical competence in all ten physical skills (cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, flexibility, strength, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy). The excessive aerobic volume of the endurance athlete’s training has cost him in speed, power, and strength to the point where his athletic competency has been compromised. No triathlete is in ideal shape to wrestle, box, pole-vault, sprint, play any ball sport, fight fires, or do police work. Each of these requires a fitness level far beyond the needs of the endurance athlete. None of this suggests that being a marathoner, triathlete or other endurance athlete is a bad thing; just don’t believe that training as a long distance athlete gives you the fitness that is prerequisite to many sports. CrossFit considers the Sumo Wrestler, triathlete, marathoner, and power-lifter to be “fringe athletes” in that their fitness demands are so specialized as to be inconsistent with the adaptations that give maximum competency at all physical challenges. Elite strength and conditioning is a compromise between each of the ten physical adaptations. Endurance athletes do not balance that compromise.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #36
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

Boom
Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #37
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Triatheletes have a pretty good leg up in wilderness survival I would say. I'm not too worried though. Guns and beer will sustain me in the end days, LOL.

I vote to end this workout battle of words and use this energy to go work out.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 317
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Cock push-ups
roosterdude21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #39
Gaichon

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
Cock push-ups
winner

Old 05-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #40
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
Cock push-ups

Circuit of cock push-ups and deep knee rock squats, like 7 or 8 at a time. In a row.