CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
b381l
smoovecock
kabercr2
B-G
Spurrier on Pharoah: (3719)
USC/clemson spread (1563)
In case no one saw.. (1316)
injury report? (922)
Odell Becham Catch (617)
A little late to the (605)
Bowl projections (555)
Why has there been 4 (480)
Tiger Burn (463)
2010 Clemson-Carolin (320)
Bowl projections
SC Women #1 in AP Poll
Charlotte Hornet Basketba
USC/clemson spread
Texans getting frustrated
2014-15 Premier League se
The Defense
what if?
Texas A&M Defense
Question about after the

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default I am afraid of heights.

I have Acrophobia and have had it since I was a child. I am now 41, and I am still afraid of them. I will not fly on planes, although I can take a roller coaster every now and then. (I attribute some of the fear of planes now to 9/11.) When I was younger I worked framing houses and such, but I never made it long term because I could not go up that high without getting sweaty, weak in the knees, and eventually dizzy. I wanted to know if anyone else here has the same condition, and if they have found a way to cope/deal with it, or overcome it all together.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: I am afraid of heights.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm afraid of widths

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I am serious this has plagued me most of my life, I cannot even walk on the upper floors of a mall without moving very far away from the rail. I get dizzy/sweaty, it sucks ass.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

To be honest, I have phobias as well, but not that one. I'm not sure how to get over it

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

I'm afraid of bridges. Over the weekend I was driving with my father and my niece home from Kentucky and had to drive over a temporary bridge that was about 300 feet off the river and I almost had to stop the car. The bridge was down to one lane in both directions and was very bouncy and bumpy. I had cold sweats and was on the verge of a panic attack by the time the bridge was over.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

I reckon we just pysch ourselves out over our fears

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
I'm afraid of bridges. Over the weekend I was driving with my father and my niece home from Kentucky and had to drive over a temporary bridge that was about 300 feet off the river and I almost had to stop the car. The bridge was down to one lane in both directions and was very bouncy and bumpy. I had cold sweats and was on the verge of a panic attack by the time the bridge was over.
I can understand how you feel, every time I drive over the bridge in Charleston. I feel like I have shortness of breath, my hands get sweaty on the steering wheel and I keep thinking in my head the bridge will collapse. I know logically it most likely will not, but that doesn't help any.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #8
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I can understand how you feel, every time I drive over the bridge in Charleston. I feel like I have shortness of breath, my hands get sweaty on the steering wheel and I keep thinking in my head the bridge will collapse. I know logically it most likely will not, but that doesn't help any.
That pretty much nails it.

- Rick H-

Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

What I really want to know is how to conquer this fear. If there is anyone here who has conquered it I would love to know how. A quick search of the internet just says I am in the 3-5% of the world with this crazy fear, but before I pass on, I would like to conquer this.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:
I am terribly, terribly afraid of heights. My body feels as if it is shutting down in certain situations. I was driving over the bridge to get from Savannah to Hilton Head last weekend and had a similar experience to both of these. Not that I felt the bridge would collapse...but I had a hard time driving the car straight. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I can fly in planes ok but flying into Key West a few years ago was a butt-puckering experience.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #11
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
What I really want to know is how to conquer this fear. If there is anyone here who has conquered it I would love to know how. A quick search of the internet just says I am in the 3-5% of the world with this crazy fear, but before I pass on, I would like to conquer this.
It's just mind over matter in some cases depending how severe it is. I did a ropes course when I was younger and loved roller coasters at one point too. I think the fear adds to the thrill/enjoyment if you can get past it. I simply just do not have any desire to do anything that involves extreme heights for "fun" anymore. I would love to go skydiving before I die...but I just do not know if I could hurl my body from a moving plane.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
I am terribly, terribly afraid of heights. My body feels as if it is shutting down in certain situations. I was driving over the bridge to get from Savannah to Hilton Head last weekend and had a similar experience to both of these. Not that I felt the bridge would collapse...but I had a hard time driving the car straight. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I can fly in planes ok but flying into Key West a few years ago was a butt-puckering experience.
That's the worst part. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Not very encouraging.

- Rick H-

Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #13
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

I have read somewhere that mammals are naturally afraid of heights, because we aren't suppose to be up that high. It seems a thousand times worse for me though. I really wish I could overcome this without drugs, or alcohol.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #14
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
That's the worst part. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Not very encouraging.
Yea I don't have any hope for it to get any better honestly. Aside from looking like a scared little kid in certain situations...it is what it is
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #15
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

It affects me physically just as much, if not more, than mentally now too. As I mentioned...in certain situations it feels like my body is just going to shut down
Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #16
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

A lot of cognitive therapies treat that sort of thing. RET, NLP, and the like. Most of our fears are based on a good intention at the time. They may be outmoded today but we always need to replace any fear or symptom with an equal or better coping mechanism.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #17
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

Yea....I'm afraid of heights

Old 05-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #18
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

I read once that they have troopers stationed at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to help people get across when they freeze up and stop.
I almost died in a wreck on a bridge and still occasionally get nervous when crossing a high one. I have recurring nightmares of bridges collapsing when I'm on them.
As to acrophobia I have that also. I once had a job that involved training people to use high lifts and scaffolds but was able to push through and do it. All the ironworkers that walked the beams would always say after 15 feet it doesn't matter anyway.
I'm not sure that it's something you ever overcome maybe hypnotism might work, but that's not something I would be willing to let anybody do.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #19
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
robgusc76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #20
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I get the joke, but it is about as serious as it gets for me, and everyone else who suffers from this horrible thing. I won't even sit in the upper decks of Williams Brice anymore because of it. Like another poster said before, it just gets worse.