CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
sanford
U-Dub Gamecock
75CarolinaFan
B-G
Spurticus
b381l
Aggie96
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
Sidney Rice Retiring (1344)
Dan Patrick Show - P (610)
ESPN Insider (533)
Pictures of older Co (438)
SOS Dominating SEC M (292)
Bonefish Grill (264)
Places to eat in Con (254)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (206)
What Are The Most Im (202)
This Song is the F'i (202)
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Texags
Predict Clemson 2014
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
2015 Commitment - Damon A
Ace suspended 4 games
Another A&M aggie off
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Sidney Rice Retiring From
Georgia Defensive returni

Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002
Default Re: Is this year's team better than last years'

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
We have. 2004.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Tanner took USC to the CWS 6 times (2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012). 4 of those years, we got to the final game/series (2002, 2010, 2011, 2012), and won it all twice (2010, 2011).

In those 6 seasons, USC was a combined 11-10 at the SEC Tournament, and only had a winning record in Hoover twice (4-2 in 2002, 4-0 in 2004). If you take out those two seasons, USC was a combined 3-8 in Hoover in 4 seasons where they ended up as 1 of the final 2 teams playing for it all.

It would be nice to win another SEC Tournament trophy, but, historically, how USC does in Hoover really isn't a gauge to how they do in the NCAA tourney.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #22
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

Tanner took USC to the CWS 6 times (2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012). 4 of those years, we got to the final game/series (2002, 2010, 2011, 2012), and won it all twice (2010, 2011).

In those 6 seasons, USC was a combined 11-10 at the SEC Tournament, and only had a winning record in Hoover twice (4-2 in 2002, 4-0 in 2004). If you take out those two seasons, USC was a combined 3-8 in Hoover in 4 seasons where they ended up as 1 of the final 2 teams playing for it all.

It would be nice to win another SEC Tournament trophy, but, historically, how USC does in Hoover really isn't a gauge to how they do in the NCAA tourney.
i don't disagree with any of this. All I'm saying is that I think every game has an impact on the post season and the last thing the committee sees is how you fair in the tournament. There was a post in another thread that compared our record to TCU and it was almost identical with the exception of the tournament. We were 0-2 and they were 4-0. Guess who got the national seed? I know that doesn't address the question of whether this team is better than last but I do believe a win or two in Hoover could have helped us this year. Thanks for all the comments
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #23
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

bhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Curse View Post
i don't disagree with any of this. All I'm saying is that I think every game has an impact on the post season and the last thing the committee sees is how you fair in the tournament. There was a post in another thread that compared our record to TCU and it was almost identical with the exception of the tournament. We were 0-2 and they were 4-0. Guess who got the national seed? I know that doesn't address the question of whether this team is better than last but I do believe a win or two in Hoover could have helped us this year. Thanks for all the comments
I completely agree. I was saying before the Vandy series that if we won that series and won two games in Hoover, we would be almost guaranteed a national seed. We won the Vandy series, but were terrible in Hoover, so we didn't get the seed. I was just pointing out that, in the past, our play in Hoover hasn't necessarily translated to how we do in the NCAA tournament, good or bad.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Curse View Post
Yeah, I read somewhere (I think Baseball America) that the committee put a strong emphasis on conference tournament performance this year. It might be time for us to reevaluate how we approach Hoover.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #25
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Team is capable of beating just about anybody they play. Same goes for getting beat. Consistency is the key & despite the overall really good record this team has played some bad baseball from time to time. None of that matters now.

Top to bottom USC has a terrific pitching staff & the defense is also really good. Offensively we rely on to few hitters to drive in runs but it's not horrible.
The overall talent on this team is overrated by many fans imo. I know the pumpers will disagree with that & that's OK. We had 1 player (a pitcher) selected to the first & second All SEC Teams. Our talent is good, not great, but good enough to get on a serious roll if they put it all together.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

The only time the SEC tournament doesn't matter is when you already have a national seed locked up. If you think otherwise you're just kidding yourself.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #27
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
The only time the SEC tournament doesn't matter is when you already have a national seed locked up. If you think otherwise you're just kidding yourself.
Yep. All we can do no is go win anyway
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #28
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

I'm gonna go out in a limb and say no
Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #29
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 477000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I agree
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

You watching the game , less we have a miracle no. Last year they got to supers not looking good now.
gsgp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #31
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 317
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Terps doin' work
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote