CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
ReadR00ster
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
Simple "yes&quo (711)
The Comeback & T (659)
ESPN Game Day Commen (654)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (451)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (451)
TeMarcus Blanton (387)
Phil Steele just pre (345)
Garcia: Change the R (196)
Wallpaper & Back (195)
Simple "yes" or
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Bama @ Tennessee
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Phil Steele just predicte
Who start on the d line t
Why I think we beat Aubur
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr

Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Some SEC Teams Might Drop FCS Opponents

Quote:
Were probably going to move forward without playing FCS opponents, Muschamp said.
Quote:
The first people that need to be taken into consideration here, who get no consideration, are the fans and the people who support the programs -- the quality of games for them -- so they want to come to the stadium and come to the games and support the programs and make it exciting for the players, Alabama coach Nick Saban said Tuesday. No, we do not want to play those types of teams. Sometimes we dont have a choice.

Earlier this month, Saban talked about the idea of the teams in the power five conferences (SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12) playing only one another. His idea was spot on, and it's one that could help the SEC lose its FCS partners.
Quote:
SEC commissioner Mike Slive said that discussions of FCS opponents didn't come up in Tuesday's meetings and that the decision to play them would be institutional.

Im in favor of our strength of schedule being as good as it can be," Slive said.

We have not told our schools that they cant play FCS schools and we dont have any plans to tell them that.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...ng-of-the-past
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material
Default Re: Some SEC Teams Might Drop FCS Opponents

Of course Florida makes this decision after losing to an FCS team last year.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I hope we keep the in-state teams on rotation. It's good for everybody in SC.

Wouldn't mind if we stopped playing Wofford though.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 200
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I hope we keep the in-state teams on rotation. It's good for everybody in SC.

Wouldn't mind if we stopped playing Wofford though.
No one would mind if we stopped playing Wofford.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

I don't like playing any FCS teams regardless if they are instate or not. They only do it to pad their pockets and there are never sell out crowds for us. They are usually predictable and meaningless in SOS. It's a lose/lose for us and a win/win for them. I would rather we do a home and away with a couple of power conference teams and alternate the away and home schedule.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

It's just a matter of time before this happens for all power conferences. Just funny Florida makes the move first.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

I wish we would stop, such a waste of a game.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Think it would be better to have them as Exhibition games before the season starts. Don't have them count against the school if they lose them. It's a game mainly to test how the rest of the team can do, and to help the local FCS schools football teams keep afloat. Put this game the 3rd week in August, and problem solved. Have a 11 game season. Make it mandatory for teams to face 9/10 big 5 schools, the last 1/2 can be from a smaller conference.

Last edited by rioninusc; 05-28-2014 at 04:23 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
So why don't we just keep playing 2 ACC teams, it's about the same thing right?
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I'm fine with not playing fcs teams. They're boring, crowd isn't as exciting, and the fcs teams don't even bring a lot of fans cause they know it's over by half time. By the third quarter, it feels like the spring game almost.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

I like playing 1 in-state FCS team, but I would prefer it be the first game of the year so we can treat it more like a defacto pre-season game even though it would count.

The problem with eliminating them entirely is that they pay their bills by playing the big boys. If there's a way around that issue then I would support not playing them.

Edit: I wish every season could be like last year where our OOC schedule was No. Car, UCF, Coastal, and Clemson.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Some teams will trade these games for a Troy or South Alabama caliber opponent.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

The sec is tough enough, as long as it's not a rule we need to keep them. It keeps money in state, allows smaller schools to upgrade and keep programs afloat, and gives us a W essentially for showing up.

I don't care if it's a boring game that the stands aren't full for...I'd much prefer to have that then have to play another major conference team and have a higher chance of losing.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I'm fine with not playing fcs teams. They're boring, crowd isn't as exciting, and the fcs teams don't even bring a lot of fans cause they know it's over by half time. By the third quarter, it feels like the spring game almost.

How many of you that have this same sentiment purchase season tickets?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

I'm ok with it if they're in-state schools. That one game will give them enough money to support their football team all year. They need the money!

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #16
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Think it would be better to have them as Exhibition games before the season starts. Don't have them count against the school if they lose them. It's a game mainly to test how the rest of the team can do, and to help the local FCS schools football teams keep afloat. Put this game the 3rd week in August, and solution solved. Have a 11 game season. Make it mandatory for teams to face 9/10 big 5 schools, the last 1/2 can be from a smaller conference.
No there's a solution. I like this.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #17
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Usually the FCS game(s) is the only one that I can afford to take my entire clan to, so for selfish reasons, I would like at least one to be on the schedule (preferably an in state FCS school). Also, as has been stated previously, these schools could really use a "hand up" from THE University of South Carolina.
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
No there's a solution. I like this.
Glad you didn't nit pick at the solution, since I meant to put problem solved, going to edit it now haha

The only reason I feel they should still happen is to help keep the smaller schools athletic programs up. I agree with you regardless though. Hate the games myself, would like to replace that game, or get rid of it, and face more teams out of the B1G/Big 12/PAC 12 if possible.

Last edited by rioninusc; 05-28-2014 at 04:49 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
How many of you that have this same sentiment purchase season tickets?
Have been every year for over 20 years, haven't missed a game home or away in the last 12 and I can't stand FCS games.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

We should play at least one FCS team a year. They deserve the money and we deserve the practice.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote