CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
b381l
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
usc1
gamecockgal
Gamecockfanatic4
B-G
smoovecock
StormOfTalons
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (874)
Spurrier vs Saban (865)
Kansas to invest $75 (783)
When does fall pract (739)
An Air Algerie Fligh (305)
Expect A Healthy Dos (288)
Anyone Switching to (279)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (279)
Darth Vader 'Vette (205)
Places to eat in Conway?
official UFC thread. (new
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Official WWE Thread
Spurrier vs Saban
college football match up
Coach's media golf press
Preseason Depth Chart
Signee James Thompson arr

Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit
Default Re: James Thompson - 6'9" 215 PF - 2014

I'm ecstatic we finally got a post player. I know nothing about Thompson, as his commitment seemingly came out of nowhere. His purported offers are solid (if legit), the highlight vids I saw were somewhat underwhelming, but it finally appears we're at least trying to find somebody to improve our anemic post play. Hopefully Thompson helps in that regard.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #22
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
how much longer can we recruit on the fringe and expect to get anywhere against UK or UF?
Uh, what other route would you suggest? 5-star basketball recruits aren't committing to South Carolina's Men's program, unless they're maybe from the state.

Kentucky and Florida are two of the premier programs not just in the SEC, but in all of College Basketball. They're staples of the Div. 1 and it's asking a lot to recruit better than them. Our best bet is to find players who fit the system, fly under the radar and hope that we can maximize Frank's plan.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

All we need to do is get to the point where we're having winning seasons, and the recruits will start coming to us....
Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Uh, what other route would you suggest? 5-star basketball recruits aren't committing to South Carolina's Men's program, unless they're maybe from the state.

Kentucky and Florida are two of the premier programs not just in the SEC, but in all of College Basketball. They're staples of the Div. 1 and it's asking a lot to recruit better than them. Our best bet is to find players who fit the system, fly under the radar and hope that we can maximize Frank's plan.
I don't understand why some fans think we can recruit like top 10 programs. We have been below average for a long time. We are doing better than I expected right now with Frank as the coach for only two years. Take into consideration he overhauled the roster, and the quality of players he's bringing in is getting better and better. Just think what kind of players he can recruit if we win a NCAA Tourney game, or two!! We make a run to the sweet 16 and we'll be getting a McDonald's All American each year or two.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #25
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

I hate all the bickering on this thread. Thompson is a Gamecock and I welcome him to Columbia. He has a nice offer list and he was the number 2 player in Louisiana this year. I hope we have room for House, also.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I hate all the bickering on this thread. Thompson is a Gamecock and I welcome him to Columbia. He has a nice offer list and he was the number 2 player in Louisiana this year. I hope we have room for House, also.
Just speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if Frank took House and Carter if they want to come here. Scholarships aren't renewed until July 1rst. Whether we like it or not, a scholly is for a year. I hope they both come to USC. I think they would be an upgrade to some others currently on the roster. Maybe James took House's spot and the jury is still out on Carter...
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #27
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

We have to let a coach stay for more than 4-5 years to build a program, relationships with high school coaches and players in order to maximize our recruiting. Coach Martin has connections all over the country and will bring some great classes to CCA as he has already proven with Thornwell, Stroman...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #28
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Good size, but he obviously needs to add a few pounds. Can't have too many big guys, and we need those right now. We have a good group of young guards, and getting big post players to fill out the roster would be pretty solid. Hopefully he qualifies.
garnet_black215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #29
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:

I added an 'edit' to my post, pulling back from that statement somewhat.

I know we aren't going to get as good of players as those 2 schools. It does seem bleak though comparing classes...
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #30
CockyLifer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talons

We are gonna compete with UF and UK again very soon. We all need to get behind Frank and show him he is appreciated and you guys will see.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #31
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

What's the difference between Thompson and Henry...same size.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #32
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
One is older than the other. One is from FL the other from LA.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #33
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
We are gonna compete with UF and UK again very soon. We all need to get behind Frank and show him he is appreciated and you guys will see.
Appreciation doesn't put the ball in the basket.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #34
USC-Hokie
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 700
USC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his comb

I think, all things considered our team is in a great spot. Frank's first season, with the talent he had was a MAJOR success! He won 14 games with mid to low major talent. Last year he won 14 games with mostly underclassmen. The team now has an identity with a potential NBA talent in Thornwell and an All-SEC type talent in Notice, which did I add are only going to be Sophomore's?

I like Martin's recruiting style in that he recruits tough, long, athletic kids that fit his system. With wins comes recruits(see South Carolina football and baseball) and we will get them soon. As fans we need to be realisitic and strive for NIT next year and possibly even the year after that. If we get to the tournament, GREAT, but on paper we are not there.

That said, Thompson will do!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #35
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I would say Thompson is slightly bigger framed than Henry but not much. I hope folks aren't giving up on Henry yet as his best days are ahead of him. I expect Henry to make huge strides this year. Carolina Basketball at best is a 4 or 5 year fix. With that said I think Frank knows what he's doing and like Staley has a plan that in time will make USC Basketball prominent.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #36
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Warm body, I guess
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #37
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

I think Thompson is more than a warm body, even if he might be a bit of a project. He has length and coordination and the strength will come once he gets in a good strength and conditioning program. Henry was considered too skinny to contribute last year, but he put on enough weight after he got on campus to play right away. I am more concerned about Thompson's shooting - he needs to have a FT percentage about fifty percentage points better than Henry to help.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #38
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:

Just to illustrate your point, Donavan took over Florida in 1996. He's been there going on 18 years. It was his 2006, 2007 teams that won the NT. At that point, he had been there 10 years.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #39
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Warm body, I guess
With fans like you behind the basketball team and its players who needs taters?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #40
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
Just to illustrate your point, Donavan took over Florida in 1996. He's been there going on 18 years. It was his 2006, 2007 teams that won the NT. At that point, he had been there 10 years.
Not a great comparison.

Billy Donovan had Florida in the Sweet 16 in his 3rd season, the '98-'99 season.