CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
Acockolypse Now
thekob
B-G
A. Pilgrim
eightohhthree
ESPN reporter adding (3294)
SOS: No QB controve (2385)
In light of our matc (1476)
How we won the UGA g (1464)
Just read this. (1350)
If we keep winning a (731)
Neat statistic bruhh (657)
Should I move to Oxf (578)
Clemson requires sex (559)
uniforms saturday (469)
Terry Googer - new Wildca
In light of our matchup w
Vandy Fans
uniforms saturday
Neat statistic bruhhhhh
Winston
Happy National Cheeseburg
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Places to watch Carolina
The SEC East schedule fro

Old 05-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #21
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default Re: The UNC scheduling issues,

I live in North Carolina and the tar heel fans I know don't want to talk football and they are not as bad as they were about basketball. They are like clemsux fans, in that they like to live in the past. Their present is pretty much mediocre to bad in most sports.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #22
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I don't think there was anything official on this. Some people speculated that UNC would just cancel because Hyman's buyout clause for UNC (his alma mater) was low and not at all a disincentive for UNC just screwing us over and cancelling the game. As it turned out, surprisingly, UNC honored their end of the home/home despite old threats that they would never visit our stadium again after we left the ACC.
UNC has been to Williams-Brice 6 times since we left the ACC in 1971. Their
fans may have said they wouldn't come to Columbia, but their AD and
admin weren't listening. Fact is, UNC's "powers that be" wanted to
continue to play South Carolina so they could beat us up and show the
nation they are the better program. The teams played intermittently from
1971 up until 1991 when we entered the SEC. There were no details
released as to why, but rumors "ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE" as
to why UNC was dropped as an OOC opponent when we joined the SEC
ran rampant.

Spurrier was the force behind getting the game with them on the schedule
in 2007. He made it clear he'd like to renew the boarder war with UNC
and thought it would be good for both states. UNC's fans and school
admin were not "all in on the deal", but the AD from UNC finally worked out
the deal to play two games. Even that was negotiated for weeks, as
UNC wanted a game at their place in Chapel Hill, and a game in Charlotte
on a neutral site...... I think that's were the talk of them not wanting to
come to Columbia ramped up. Spurrier and Hyman basically said Home and
Home first or NO DEAL, and it was finally inked with a low buyout.

There was a local Sports guy here in Columbia (Heath Kline) who said
on the air the day after the contract was signed and announced, that
UNC would not come to Columbia, and said they would make an excuse
not to show up, and/or pay the small buyout and not play here.
Couple of years later, is when UNC TRIED to drop the game when they
had the shot to play LSU in the season opener in 2010. They wanted
at that time to pay the buyout and not re-schedule. Hyman publicly
said that even though the buyout was small, he was going to see to it
that UNC honored the bargain and would eventually play it. Short time
later, they were put on the schedule to open the 2013 season.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #23
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I live in North Carolina and the tar heel fans I know don't want to talk football and they are not as bad as they were about basketball. They are like clemsux fans, in that they like to live in the past. Their present is pretty much mediocre to bad in most sports.
There's enough older folks around in the fanbase to understand the feelings
that exist between UNC and USC over the years since we left the ACC.
There's enough older members of the BOT for both schools that still have
those "feelings" for the opposing schools as well. We were under the thumb
of the NC Mafia for years, and some of the worse incidents of blatant
biased decision making in regards for the Tobacco Road Connection
during the years prior to our departure from that hell hole were made
against USC. As long as there are fans and admin around who were a
direct part of what went on while we were members of the ACC, there
will be ill feelings between NC and SC sports programs. I for one hope
we don't ever forget the way we (and other non NC teams) were treated
during that time. I hope it permeates the fanbase and players of any
sport prior to our schools meeting in any sport we play them as well.
We can't nuke that toilet named Chapel Hill, so we need to try our
best to lay waste to their programs on the field, court, diamond etc....
UNC is one small level below Clemson as far as I'm concerned on the
college sports food chain.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #24
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

My former partner is a UNC grad and remains my best friend to this day. I met him while living in Columbia and he was in Columbia because his job transferred him there.

As one of the old timers who remembers when Carolina was in the ACC, I grew up hating UNC with a passion – absolutely hated those guys from Chapel Hill. And having lived in Charlotte and Greensboro for a while and living amongst UNC fans fueled that hatred! But after I met my partner, I soften a little – just a little! The good news was that he loved the Gamecocks and we both hated Clemson – so we had somewhat of a bond. Plus, we used to go to Chapel Hill for sporting events if SC played there or when SC didn’t have a home game. I must admit I think Chapel Hill is a great college town.

Flash forward to today. My former partner (now living in Charlotte) and I are still best friends, but I’m becoming rather indifferent towards Tar Heel sports – except for basketball. Why basketball, you might ask? Did I mention Duke is my second favorite team – next to the Gamecocks?
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
My guess is recruiting. Lots of alumni from both schools in charlotte. I hope the turnout is better than ECU in 2011 cause it sounded empty on tv
It wasn't a sell out but it was very full until we started running away with it. ECU wasn't very good that year, if I recall. I think playing No.Car. would be a sellout simply because the two fan bases are larger in Charlotte, and both are in power conferences so the game will mean more.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
UNC has been to Williams-Brice 6 times since we left the ACC in 1971. Their
fans may have said they wouldn't come to Columbia, but their AD and
admin weren't listening. Fact is, UNC's "powers that be" wanted to
continue to play South Carolina so they could beat us up and show the
nation they are the better program. The teams played intermittently from
1971 up until 1991 when we entered the SEC. There were no details
released as to why, but rumors "ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE" as
to why UNC was dropped as an OOC opponent when we joined the SEC
ran rampant.

Spurrier was the force behind getting the game with them on the schedule
in 2007. He made it clear he'd like to renew the boarder war with UNC
and thought it would be good for both states. UNC's fans and school
admin were not "all in on the deal", but the AD from UNC finally worked out
the deal to play two games. Even that was negotiated for weeks, as
UNC wanted a game at their place in Chapel Hill, and a game in Charlotte
on a neutral site...... I think that's were the talk of them not wanting to
come to Columbia ramped up. Spurrier and Hyman basically said Home and
Home first or NO DEAL, and it was finally inked with a low buyout.

There was a local Sports guy here in Columbia (Heath Kline) who said
on the air the day after the contract was signed and announced, that
UNC would not come to Columbia, and said they would make an excuse
not to show up, and/or pay the small buyout and not play here.
Couple of years later, is when UNC TRIED to drop the game when they
had the shot to play LSU in the season opener in 2010. They wanted
at that time to pay the buyout and not re-schedule. Hyman publicly
said that even though the buyout was small, he was going to see to it
that UNC honored the bargain and would eventually play it. Short time
later, they were put on the schedule to open the 2013 season.
Hyman did his job in making sure that UNC showed up. I don't know how he did it with that buyout agreement.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #27
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

ive said it a few times but i still think we should play some sort of rotation with NC State, UNC every year ... home and home and maybe a netural site on the third year... two rivalries that would be fun to have back.. both of those schools are in a talent rich area so recruiting benefits as well
Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

We should never play any ACC team, any sport, ever, especially any of the original members.

That conference did all it could to destroy us and did us incredible damage that only in the last few years have we really recovered.

They do not deserve to play us. They always have been our enemy and always will be. Never lift one finger to help an enemy. Being on their schedule, especially in football, helps them and the ACC. The only revenge we can get on them is to never play them in the regular season of any sport.

No one, not us, no one from the SEC, the ACC, or any other school in the nation should play them until the NCAA hammers them fro the worst NCAA violations in history both in the many decades of deliberate cheating, the scope of people involved, and the magnitude of many areas of illegal benefits. UNC deserves the Death Penalty and should get it, but won't, of course.

You don't play cheaters or turn a blind eye to them. You also don't turn your back on them.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #29
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 596
jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
We should never play any ACC team, any sport, ever, especially any of the original members.

That conference did all it could to destroy us and did us incredible damage that only in the last few years have we really recovered.

They do not deserve to play us. They always have been our enemy and always will be. Never lift one finger to help an enemy. Being on their schedule, especially in football, helps them and the ACC. The only revenge we can get on them is to never play them in the regular season of any sport.

No one, not us, no one from the SEC, the ACC, or any other school in the nation should play them until the NCAA hammers them fro the worst NCAA violations in history both in the many decades of deliberate cheating, the scope of people involved, and the magnitude of many areas of illegal benefits. UNC deserves the Death Penalty and should get it, but won't, of course.

You don't play cheaters or turn a blind eye to them. You also don't turn your back on them.
The newbies..... "tropical storms", "gobblers", "pitty patters", "red birds" and "golden domers" (although they don't count as acc in football....yet), are the only ones worth putting on the football schedule anyway!!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 596
jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
ive said it a few times but i still think we should play some sort of rotation with NC State, UNC every year ... home and home and maybe a netural site on the third year... two rivalries that would be fun to have back.. both of those schools are in a talent rich area so recruiting benefits as well
I much rather us schedule UNCC, after this season I think they will move up from FCS and into ConUSA, instead of any of the 4 north carolina acc schools.
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
WeCocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 508
WeCocky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
I much rather us schedule UNCC, after this season I think they will move up from FCS and into ConUSA, instead of any of the 4 north carolina acc schools.
They will be the best team in NC in less than 10 years
Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #32
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
The newbies..... "tropical storms", "gobblers", "pitty patters", "red birds" and "golden domers" (although they don't count as acc in football....yet), are the only ones worth putting on the football schedule anyway!!
I'd actually love to play Notre Dame. That would be a good matchup.

But the question is.... Who will Dr. Lou pick? He may have a panic attack.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Hyman did his job in making sure that UNC showed up. I don't know how he did it with that buyout agreement.
Me either. I was really expecting to hear on the local news that we let them
out with paying the small buyout, or just not hearing anything at all. I was
shocked when I heard in 2011 that we were going to open the season with
UNC in 2013 ! .... I also think ESPN had some pull with that as well.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

ESPN head man is UNC grad. Hyman knew if UNC skated, he would catch hell from our fans, so UNC may have cut him a break, too.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #35
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:

Sending you points. Well done Sir well done!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #36
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

While I agree with the sentiment, it is too enjoyable beating up on the ACC teams to give up on an occasional butt whooping.

My hope for ACC destruction is based upon an SEC Big 12 football challenge. That would accomplish the same purpose as you advocate because most SEC teams that play in the challenge would not want to play another power conference, assuming you are willing to concede the ACC currently has that status.

The ACC has already panicked and added northern teams that will erode its brand and culture. It no longer has an identity. I think it is only a matter of time before Maryland blows up the contractual penalty clause for leaving the ACC. Then, you will see FSU and maybe Clemp jumping to the Big 12. UNC could end up in the SEC if Slive had his druthers. That is the death nell for the ACC.

Good riddance to that corrupt conference of arrogance.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:

Recovered? The term "recovered" implies that we were something before joining the ACC, and we weren't. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the ACC was the only thing holding us back every single year. I honestly don't think the ACC was a bad deal to start off with even though it did evolve/devolve into one. I've occasionally wondered if it weren't for the 'conference politics' issue if we would still be in that conference. From a tradition and geographic standpoint it would make much more sense to play in the ACC (the old one prior to the yankee school infusion).

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #38
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:

maybe im just not old enough to care but i just cant agree with this "im going to take my ball and go home!" attitude towards the NC schools. Its seem petty. I dont think the acc schools are sitting around worried or crying that they dont play us. We are not getting any revenge not playing. IMO id rather beat the crap out of them every year than just pout and refuse to play them.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
maybe im just not old enough to care but i just cant agree with this "im going to take my ball and go home!" attitude towards the NC schools. Its seem petty. I dont think the acc schools are sitting around worried or crying that they dont play us. We are not getting any revenge not playing. IMO id rather beat the crap out of them every year than just pout and refuse to play them.
LOL. Your post slay's me, kb.

Took a long time, but I am home. Found a good one, and her name is the SEC.

Put my balls on the chopping block for the biggest cheat in NCAA history?? ROTFL. Why would I do that when everybody now knows she has AIDS?
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #40
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
LOL. Your post slay's me, kb.

Took a long time, but I am home. Found a good one, and her name is the SEC.

Put my balls on the chopping block for the biggest cheat in NCAA history?? ROTFL. Why would I do that when everybody now knows she has AIDS?
what exactly are we risking by playing them.. a loss? by playing nc state or unc is not like we are rejoining the acc... the triangle area in nc has a wealth of talent and recruiting that area is important… id rather play them, beat the crap out of them and then for good measure take a bunch of recruits from right in their own backyard...that’s how you stick to them if that’s what you are looking for… both could be great regional rivalries.. again ill be honest im not old enough to care about what happened while we were in the acc but I guarantee you they are not worried or hurting just because south carolina won’t play them in football.. we always talk about clemson fans living in the past put sometimes i feel like some sc fans got their feelings hurt and havent let that go