CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markymark550
Badazcock
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
Outland
B-G
TheUSCMike
thumpin big
Cockflame1701
Coulwoodwarlord
Why is everyone anti (2404)
Busta out indefinite (1448)
How did we not make (1365)
Miss St. defense (1131)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
SOS says his next st (1111)
Our Road Upset Wins (988)
Let us clarify some (740)
No easy road for our (481)
Roll call for Auburn (468)
Michael Sams done in Dall
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Holiday desserts
CBSSports SEC prediction
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Our Road Upset Wins
Miss St. defense
To ANYONE complaining abo
SOS says his next stop is
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,

Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #21
doccock
Super Doc

Male

CockyCash: 500
doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Some SEC Teams Might Drop FCS Opponents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I hope we keep the in-state teams on rotation. It's good for everybody in SC.

Wouldn't mind if we stopped playing Wofford though.
There is more in consideration now than helping out the local FCS teams. In the future it will be near impossible to make it into the 4 team playoff playing FCS schools. We have a hard enough time getting high ranking with a tough SEC schedule.
With the new system, our little sisters should and most likely will be left out.jmho
doc
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
There is more in consideration now than helping out the local FCS teams. In the future it will be near impossible to make it into the 4 team playoff playing FCS schools. We have a hard enough time getting high ranking with a tough SEC schedule.
With the new system, our little sisters should and most likely will be left out.jmho
doc
Your most likely right.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
We should play at least one FCS team a year. They deserve the money and we deserve the practice.
Why is it the University of South Carolina's responsibility to keep these little teams afloat?

If the FCS business plan of letting their athletes get beat down by one or more D1 schools every year in exchange for money is no longer viable, oh well. The schools that are successful programs will continue and the ones that shouldn't have ever fielded a football team to begin with will fold. I'm fine with that. This whole "pay for an opponent" was BS from the beginning.
NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #24
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
doc
Disagree.

An undefeated or 1 loss SEC team will always get into the playoffs...Always.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #25
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post
Of course Florida makes this decision after losing to an FCS team last year.
Now, that's funny!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #26
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
I'm ok with it if they're in-state schools. That one game will give them enough money to support their football team all year. They need the money!

JD
then let their fans and alumni fork it over...it shouldn't be our responsibility to fund their program.
Gamecock303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #27
greatwhitecock
I'm Ya Huckleberry

Male

CockyCash: 600
greatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his comb

None of you have mentioned how nice is it to have an FCS opponent to play the week before a big game. Having the opportunity to let your players rest and heal is not to be discounted. As tough as the SEC is the current set up is probably the best. Unless you're nick saban and have ridiculous depth.
greatwhitecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #28
greatwhitecock
I'm Ya Huckleberry

Male

CockyCash: 600
greatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his comb

And I'm a season ticket holder as well. I prefer big night games but the FCS team is in most cases a glorified bye week. Have them at night and I'd be a lot happier. Noon games against little schools suck to go to.
greatwhitecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

South Carolina and Clemson need to drop FCS opponents. It's not really good for anybody. The fans are cheated out of a good game and most FCS opponents are not going to get better by playing BCS teams. We don't want Furman and Wofford to get better because they are playing us. They are not going to anyway because most of the games are blowouts or not worth watching because Wofford especially just runs and runs.

Not fun to watch. As a fan, I don't care to see it. Just schedule a true bye week if you need the rest.

Players can get injured just as easily playing against these teams (or in practice for that matter). Wofford, Furman, SC State, and etc will have to move up if they want to play South Carolina.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #30
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Our schedule for this year is ranked:

11th http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team

13th http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...h-of-schedule/

But then our non-conference schedule (East Carolina, Furman, South Alabama, Clemson) is ranked 29th: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...les-best-worst

Let's not take Furman too lightly as they beat Wofford, the Citadel, Appalachian State and S.C. State last year.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #31
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

I enjoyed the Coastal game last year. It was the first game I got to go with one of my friends and I enjoyed her company
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
Our schedule for this year is ranked:

11th http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team

13th http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...h-of-schedule/

But then our non-conference schedule (East Carolina, Furman, South Alabama, Clemson) is ranked 29th: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...les-best-worst

Let's not take Furman too lightly as they beat Wofford, the Citadel, Appalachian State and S.C. State last year.
I hope it's the last time we play Furman. Also, I hope we pound them into the ground and the Paladins beg not to ever play USC again.

I'm in favor of a 9 game SEC schedule and no FCS opponents. I'm also in favor of pre-season game(s).
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #33
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I hope it's the last time we play Furman. Also, I hope we pound them into the ground and the Paladins beg not to ever play USC again.

I'm in favor of a 9 game SEC schedule and no FCS opponents. I'm also in favor of pre-season game(s).
I see another 70-7 game playing in here. Florida St. played an opponent last year and put up 80 on them. I would like to see that just so we can prove once more how damn good we actually are.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #34
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

IF we stop playing FCS teams does that mean we have to stop playing the taters too? Other than FSU, the Big South is better than the ACC.
GamecockInHell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #35
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

The "taters" have only helped your strength of schedule the last three years. That faded orange team hurt it last year.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #36
WeCocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 508
WeCocky has hatched from the shell

So are we keeping Clemson?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #37
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 799000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I personally see it in a productive light. Least of which is that I can indoctrinate my grandkids in to the culture. Troy has been to a game each of the last 3 years, he's 7 now. I have Austin who's 4 and Jack who's 1, waiting in the wings. And that's just the boys. It's called growing Gamecocks, and I'm ok with it, it promotes our state. Go Cocks !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #38
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

I don't see any issue playing the fcs guys from our state. If there is any reason it could effect us negatively then yes let's stop doing it. I also agree that making the fcs game a night game would make it more fun to attend.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #39
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
IF we stop playing FCS teams does that mean we have to stop playing the taters too? Other than FSU, the Big South is better than the ACC.
Bias aside. clemzun has been a very good opponent for our SOS lately. Playing them at the end of the year and winning, could be the difference in making the play-offs or not if they keep winning in the ACC. That's just plain facts. Didn't both teams come into the game ranked higher than ever before, for the week of the game?

We are going to have to drop the FCS opponents soon, or playing SC State or Furman, and helping them buy some helmets, could keep us out of the play-offs one year, even if we win convincingly.

I think by keeping a 8 game SEC schedule, any SEC team with a chance of making the play-offs, need to avoid playing FCS teams at all costs. I hope it doesn't end up hurting us before the administrators get their finger out.

That UCF game last year was pivotal to our end of season ranking, so was the clemzun win.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #40
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

I will guess winning your conference (especially the SEC) won't hurt.