CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
Gamecocks1137
SC Sandlapper
B-G
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2189)
Have you ever been s (1381)
Key for 2015 defense (861)
Tennessee Offense Br (859)
Skai Moore out for U (599)
Women's Team Ranked (552)
This season and recr (466)
Lebron makes Clevela (399)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (265)
For all the uniform (217)
***2014 Carolina Panthers
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Brady Hoke Motivational S
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Interesting quotes from D
Chances we win out now?
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw

Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Dogs running free in my neighborhood.

I've lived in my current home for exactly one year now. Ever since we moved in a year ago, we noticed a group of three medium-sized dogs roaming freely throughout the neighborhood. The dogs once came into my yard and destroyed something (nothing major or expensive at all), so that prompted me to put up a few signs in the neighborhood asking whoever owns the dogs to secure their pets.

That seemed to work for roughly a month, but eventually, the dogs were allowed to have freedom again. As a dog lover myself, I wouldn't really mind it too much IF my family and I could "get to know" the dogs, but the dogs are not friendly, have chased me and my son while we were riding our bikes, and if I call to them and take even one step, they will growl or bark and then run away from me.

I feel like these dogs are a threat to my son, because I'm not convinced an 8-year old boy will command the same respect/fear from the dogs I do. And since I noticed the people just got another dog they also allow to roam (much younger and smaller, but will be about the same size I think), I finally decided to call animal control about it, because these people are simply growing the pack of dogs without thinking of the potential problems the dogs cause.

The problem is, I feel a little guilty about it, because the dogs all do have collars, so I know they belong to someone who lives nearby, and I would hate to lose my dog, but I make sure my dog is either on the leash or on his runner when he is outside. I just wish these people would do the same. I did put up another set of signs, but nothing ever came of them except them being torn down by someone.

Should I feel guilty about it, or did I do the right thing?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dogs running free in my neighborhood.

Call Mike Vick. He'll know what to do.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I've lived in my current home for exactly one year now. Ever since we moved in a year ago, we noticed a group of three medium-sized dogs roaming freely throughout the neighborhood. The dogs once came into my yard and destroyed something (nothing major or expensive at all), so that prompted me to put up a few signs in the neighborhood asking whoever owns the dogs to secure their pets.

That seemed to work for roughly a month, but eventually, the dogs were allowed to have freedom again. As a dog lover myself, I wouldn't really mind it too much IF my family and I could "get to know" the dogs, but the dogs are not friendly, have chased me and my son while we were riding our bikes, and if I call to them and take even one step, they will growl or bark and then run away from me.

I feel like these dogs are a threat to my son, because I'm not convinced an 8-year old boy will command the same respect/fear from the dogs I do. And since I noticed the people just got another dog they also allow to roam (much younger and smaller, but will be about the same size I think), I finally decided to call animal control about it, because these people are simply growing the pack of dogs without thinking of the potential problems the dogs cause.

The problem is, I feel a little guilty about it, because the dogs all do have collars, so I know they belong to someone who lives nearby, and I would hate to lose my dog, but I make sure my dog is either on the leash or on his runner when he is outside. I just wish these people would do the same. I did put up another set of signs, but nothing ever came of them except them being torn down by someone.

Should I feel guilty about it, or did I do the right thing?
As a dog lover and owner of 4 dogs I say you're doing the right thing. It's not safe for people in your neighborhood or for the dogs themselves to be wandering around off leash.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

Airsoft fan here, for stray dogs/cats, kinda fun too
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Master Bedroom
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
As a dog lover and owner of 4 dogs I say you're doing the right thing. It's not safe for people in your neighborhood or for the dogs themselves to be wandering around off leash.
This is right. If you had killed the dogs that would be different, but people should take care of their own animals. Maybe having to pay to get them out of hopp will make the owners think twice about allowing them to roam free.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

You moved into their hood. Now you gonna cause problems. Expect to get many problems back. Never a good idea to make enemies.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

What are the local ordinances regarding dogs? Where I live, dogs are not allowed to run loose, and if animal control gets involved, you will be fined. My labs did dig out once before I put up a containment wire, but all they did was play with the neighborhood kids until I got home.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html

Last edited by SwampFox; 05-30-2014 at 09:21 PM.
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Do you have a homeowners association?
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
You moved into their hood. Now you gonna cause problems. Expect to get many problems back. Never a good idea to make enemies.
What should he do?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

SC has a statewide leash law

i had animal control come out, then deputies, after 4 years of a large american bulldog growling at me in my yard/garage, signed an arrest warant and we settled in court, no problem since

good times

if the dogs are not dangerous i would just ignore them
Old 05-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

So.

You have no idea who let the dogs out?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 397
cockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talonscockattorney2 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to cockattorney2

you did the right thing. as stated, there are leash laws.... and I have seen firsthand what can happen when a dog runs out in the road in front of bikes... it's not pretty and the homeowner doesn't like the bill they get for "just a bike"... much less the hospital bill that they have to pay since they are responsible for the animal...

not the animal's fault... completely on the owner. So, you did right by calling animal control, especially in a neighborhood.
cockattorney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
What are the local ordinances regarding dogs? Where I live, dogs are not allowed to run loose, and if animal control gets involved, you will be fined. My labs did dig out once before I put up a containment wire, but all the did was play with the neighborhood kids until I got home.
See Captain9's first line below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons View Post
SC has a statewide leash law

i had animal control come out, then deputies, after 4 years of a large american bulldog growling at me in my yard/garage, signed an arrest warant and we settled in court, no problem since

good times

if the dogs are not dangerous i would just ignore them
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Do you have a homeowners association?
We have restrictions, but no HOA.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
So.

You have no idea who let the dogs out?
Well done sir.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Don't think I haven't thought about this very thing. It's one of the reasons it took me a while to decide to call about it. But once the dogs started pursuing me and my son and growling/barking, I decided I would rather have mad neighbors than an injured/dead son. When it comes to that, then it's a no-brainer decision.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post

He'll shoot his eye out

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #18
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

You did the right thing , I got bite by some dogs just like you are talking about. You get dogs in a pack and they will change in behavior.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

dude don't feel bad your doing the right thing...If you feel your child or anyone is in danger then like you said it is a no brainer and the neighbors wouldn't even know you called.

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #20
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
Is this a joke? He called for the safety of his kid..Also how are they gonna know who called?

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote