CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
johnnyb
taylorssc
l^l^lBGCock
doubledribble
NAGamecockFan
GarnetSwarm1990
ChickenButt
The Yancey
So Disappointed With (2938)
No Comments on the H (915)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (251)
Call of Duty: Advanc (243)
Gameday parking in A (184)
Vote For Cocky (132)
Things They Should H (107)
Keeping tailgate foo (80)
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Texas athletic director:
2014-15 Premier League se
No Comments on the Holes?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Thoughts on the basketbal
BAW

Old 05-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws
Default Debating a team's strengths and weaknesses

It *seems* that in college football, teams with a strong offense tend to have a weak defense, and teams with a strong defense tend to have a weak offense.

Strong offense/weak defense examples:
-Oregon
-Clemson
-Texas A&M
-Auburn
-Texas Tech (under Mike Leach)
-Louisiana Tech (under Sonny Dykes)
-Baylor
-Kentucky (under Hal Mumme)

Strong defense/weak offense examples:
-LSU
-Alabama
-South Carolina
-Virginia Tech

Why do you think this is?

Whatever your position is, please provide reasoning to support it.

Fire away

Last edited by USCNowAndForever; 05-31-2014 at 01:52 AM.
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Debating a team's strengths and weaknesses

Nope, Florida State proved last season you can put up 80 on an opponent and still shut their offense down.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Nope, Florida State proved last season you can put up 80 on an opponent and still shut their offense down.
Lol.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Sure there are exceptions, but what I mentioned in the OP seems to be a trend. Maybe the exceptions can help answer the question?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
Sure there are exceptions, but what I mentioned in the OP seems to be a trend. Maybe the exceptions can help answer the question?
I think what you mean refers to our team. We either have a great offense, and an ok defense, or an ok offense and a great defense. I get the sentiment. A lot of fans this year are about to turn gray in the hair and rip their hair out over our defense. To which I say, why? We have always stepped on defense, and this year is no different. Our offense is predicted to be in the top 3 if not number one in the SEC this year. Yet others still worry. I like to point out Skai Moore. Before last year he was just a high school kid, this year he returns as one of the top LBs in the SEC as a true Sophmore.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

Quote:
I think what you mean refers to our team. We either have a great offense, and an ok defense, or an ok offense and a great defense. I get the sentiment. A lot of fans this year are about to turn gray in the hair and rip their hair out over our defense. To which I say, why? We have always stepped on defense, and this year is no different. Our offense is predicted to be in the top 3 if not number one in the SEC this year. Yet others still worry. I like to point out Skai Moore. Before last year he was just a high school kid, this year he returns as one of the top LBs in the SEC as a true Sophmore.
I didn't create the OP as a veiled attack on our team. Lol

I think we will be fine this year. We might struggle some on defense, but by the end of the year, I think we will be ok.

I don't think there is a simple answer to the question raised in the OP.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 AM   #7
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

I think it's more complicated than you're making it out to be. You also forgot to include Special teams. It's the one thing that has kept USC out of the SECCG the past 2 years. I also think that some of those teams listed aren't bad overall, but that their strength overshadows the so called weakness.
BAMA for instance if I had to rate them 1-5 for O/D/ST 1 being bad, 5 being great. I would give them a 4/5/4. They had a solid O, great D, and had a ST that was consistent.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
I think it's more complicated than you're making it out to be. You also forgot to include Special teams. It's the one thing that has kept USC out of the SECCG the past 2 years. I also think that some of those teams listed aren't bad overall, but that their strength overshadows the so called weakness.
BAMA for instance if I had to rate them 1-5 for O/D/ST 1 being bad, 5 being great. I would give them a 4/5/4. They had a solid O, great D, and had a ST that was consistent.
Until the Iron Bowl. Lol
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

You also have to weigh the impact of a particular defense or offense on the outcome of the overall game.

A team with high scoring offense tends to make their defense look bad because the other team has to try and keep up with the shooting match. The loser may score lots of points, gain yds, or create stats that make the team with the potent offense look weak on defense.

And some teams with an offense that maybe could open it up, tend to play more conservative just because they are playing to win....'Bama is the perfect example. 'Bama has not had a weak offense in a long time.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Um, no.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Probably need to post the turnover margin and time of possession ranking for each school.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

The fast paced offenses usually end up scoring quickly, or going 3 and out. Their defense is on the field a lot, and they give up more points that way. They also get tired earlier due to the amount of plays they are on the field for. FSU is one of the few teams that can recruit enough to not have depth issue. Plus, their schedule sucked, so the only decent team they played the whole year was Auburn.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Probably need to post the turnover margin and time of possession ranking for each school.
= huge factors in W-L records
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Most teams today put the best athletes on offense, which is why you're seeing such "high flying" offensive numbers, regardless of the style of offense.

Some teams have deep enough talent to evenly distribute this across offense AND defense, couple that with solid, fundamentally sound coaching and some mental discipline result in some truly phenomenal teams.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Over the last four seasons LSU has had a top 25 scoring offense in two of those years, Bama in four. Just taking last year alone, UofSC came in 31st, LSUrd, and Bama 17th.

Those numbers don't reflect poor offenses.

Several of those teams listed as having weak defenses have been better than average in some years. Clemson finished in the top 25 last year in total defense.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

I think your definition of weak offense and weak defense directly correlates with the ranking of one over the other. if you have a top 25 defense in the country it is far from weak just because your offense is top 10 and vice versa. Most countries are stronger on one side of the ball than the other due to recruiting, some go bigger on D and others O depending on the coach, conference and available talent IMO the biggest factor is the head coach and his philosophies, wide open offenses tend to leave the D on the field a good bit during shootouts and smash mouth football leans to control of the ball and keeping the other offense off the field and skewing the numbers.
I think this is why the average fan says our defense sucks when we are putting up 40 points and allow the other team 27 because we scored quick and they spent 3/4's of the game on the field.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Until the Iron Bowl. Lol
Can say the same about Auburn in the NCG, which I think stings more imo. Still consider AU ST pretty good even after that one player tripped against FSU.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #18
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

T.O.P. is the most frequent culprit. Not enough TOP from those quick scoring teams wears your defense down.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #19
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I can remember several years when even a decent offense would have moved our defense from top 10-15 in the country to top 2 or 3. During Holtz's first few years (and a couple afterward) our D ranked top 2 or 3 in the SEC while the offense set records for negative yardage plays, ruined field position, and couldn't manage even 2 ot 3 first downs in the 4th quarter to preserve a win. We lost so many games in the second half after leading (because of defense) most of the game. Holtz even said once that it was the better players being on defense, but his son was OC during a horrible 6-7 year run but always paid more then the DC who produced. Three or four years ago, we were in a similar situation, but, but turnovers were also a factor. A good D mainly contributes good field position and opportunities for the offense. A good O keeps the D off the field some, helps field position, and doesn't give up turnover points and back-to-the-wall field position. A good D with an inadequate O finishes many good series only to have to drag back onto the field a few plays later and get blamed if the other team catches them in a mistake or is able to exploit a weakness by having so many shots at them. It's great when both sides can be each other's best ally.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #20
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

They tend to direct their quality "Athlete" type players to either offense or defense to provide quality depth depending on which direction the HC goes. Sometimes when they recruit guys that can either be LB / Safety types or WR / Scat back types, they tend to put them on one side of the ball or the other.