CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Gamecocks1137
b381l
FanofCarolina1
JerseyBird
carolinacocky
CockyInTexas
TheUniversityofSC
Could Pharoh Run the (1247)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (1156)
Huge recruiting week (1060)
TV?? (830)
Big George Statue (779)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (695)
Fly_over tomorrow? (513)
No Shave November (488)
Awful Shooting Conti (413)
Scholarship Lounge B (409)
Fan bias toward a specifi
Awful Shooting Continues
TV??
Fly_over tomorrow?
How about this scenario
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Lineup Changes (Offense)
Big George Statue
**USC vs. South Alabama G
2014 Charleston Classic *

Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #661
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 NCAA Regionals:**USC vs. Maryland GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
pretty sure carolina has more depth than cambell and maryland combined.
I agree.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #662
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
what?

dude, quit nitpicking.
what.....that's common sense....like I said earlier, it's the little things that we are missing....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 AM   #663
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

I didnt see the game, but I have to believe that third baseman was at double play depth in the 9th, I would have highly considered bunting pankake in that situation. It however still amazes me that a kid who is a line drive, fly ball hitter, struggles with sacrifice flys.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #664
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I will just say this...if one guy can cost you a game, Joey did it tonight.
yes, Jack pitched garbage tonight and the rest of the offense didn't get timely hits...but when a guy commits an error that allows two runs to score, then chokes with the game on the line, it ain't good, especially when it is a guy who has been there before.

Maryland had no business winning that game, but they took advantage of our mistakes, something good teams do.

We should go out and throttle Campbell tomorrow....but can this team beat Maryland twice? I really don't know...if they play like they did tonight, no way.

Again, I don't want to put this whole loss on Joey, but his error (and it is his because it was not a throw he needed to make on the run) and his poor at bat in the last inning, really were glaring eye sores in an all around piss poor performance tonight.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #665
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
I don't see how a true fan can give up on a team when they aren't even out of the tourney. Im not giving up on them.
It isn't giving up on the team.
It is calling a spade a spade.

They played like utter garbage tonight.
When you have the tying run on base in the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th and you don't get it in, you ain't playing well.

When you give up two key runs on an error, you aren't playing well.

Yes, we had the nice throw from the outfield to keep Maryland from scoring, but think about it...we could only muster 3 runs against an average Maryland team.

Sometimes you have to say we played like shit and the other team capitalized on our poor performance. Maryland beat us....but when you strand 9 runners and commit 2 errors you aren't going to win many games at this point in the season.

The fact it was as close as it was shows Maryland ain't that good a team.

Give props to Widener for coming in and shutting Maryland out, but this was a team Carolina should have beaten pretty handily, but didn't.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #666
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

We look like a team full of talented recruits who are being poorly coached. We will never be bad, but we probably won't be great for a long time either.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #667
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
In the super regional next week, we should pitch Crowe in game 2...I think that Montgomery and Wynkoop are too similar. Hitters get an added benefit of facing the two like lefties back to back.
I think you're on to something with this. I have always been a component of going L-R-L.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #668
Taylorspur
Recruit

Taylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spurs

We left 11 according to the box score.
Taylorspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #669
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
as it turns out, it wasn't the pitching that cost us the win, it was a throwing error......and Mooney couldn't bunt over the runner in the 9th.....if the leadoff guy can't bunt, well.....
we still don't have a team leader.....
No, but if Wynkoop doesn't get shelled like he did, we are not chasing 4 runs early.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #670
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1022824
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

As bad as Wynkoop pitched, he still made the pitches to get out of the innings if not for the errors. The guys on this team that were supposed to provide leadership let us down last night. This team has as much talent as any we've had, but something has seemed to be missing the past couple of years. We see signs of them finally getting it together, then they relapse back into the same crap. I hope I'm wrong, but I see our season ending this week-end unless they get their heads in the game.
As a side note, does anyone have the official rule for balls hitting the yellow line at Carolina Stadium? I thought it was supposed to be a home run, but it seems like I can remember a couple of times that it wasn't called that way.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #671
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Considering all the flyouts last night, kinda ironic the one time we need one we get a ground ball.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #672
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Taylor Widener pitched great. Him going the distance gives us a lot of options the next two days. Probably only two not available are him and Montgomery.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #673
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

I'm still at a lost as to why we didn't send schrock. Even if he is gunned down, our fastest runner is at 3rd and scores easily. If they don't throw, the double play is gone.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #674
Cocky Doodle
Gamecock 4 Life

Male

CockyCash: 125833
Cocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his combCocky Doodle is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson View Post
We look like a team full of talented recruits who are being poorly coached. We will never be bad, but we probably won't be great for a long time either.
I have been thinking that same thing for several weeks now. It's definitely not a Tanner coached team any longer.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #675
Latti
Uscooper

Male

Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly
Default 2014 NCAA Regionals:**USC vs. Maryland GAME Thread**

Quote:

Who would you like to be our coach? At least give some examples. And no I'm not defending Holbrook right now. But since you are so adamit we need another coach, who would you hire? Monte lee?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #676
Latti
Uscooper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Doodle View Post
I have been thinking that same thing for several weeks now. It's definitely not a Tanner coached team any longer.

At least the last three years right? I'm sure everyone loved him prior to 2010.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #677
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
As bad as Wynkoop pitched, he still made the pitches to get out of the innings if not for the errors. The guys on this team that were supposed to provide leadership let us down last night. This team has as much talent as any we've had, but something has seemed to be missing the past couple of years. We see signs of them finally getting it together, then they relapse back into the same crap. I hope I'm wrong, but I see our season ending this week-end unless they get their heads in the game.
As a side note, does anyone have the official rule for balls hitting the yellow line at Carolina Stadium? I thought it was supposed to be a home run, but it seems like I can remember a couple of times that it wasn't called that way.
The ball has to clear the yellow line. Agree with the Wynkoop thoughts. I don't think it's a matter of not having their heads in the game, there are just a lot of holes on this team. i.e no true leadoff guy, no power in the outfield, etc.

Agree we have good talent but it is far from as good as we've ever had. Right now we have 3 guys that are much above average in the field & at the plate. (Greiner, Martin, & Schrock when he's healthy). I could name you numerous teams with more talent going back to the Jeff Grantz, Hank Small, days. But that's just my opinion & you're certainly entitled to yours.

With all that, I'll go out on a serious limb & say we still win this regional. If this team gets rolling, there is enough talent to take them a long way & because other teams have similar holes. But overwhelming people from shear talent? No.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 06-01-2014 at 09:50 AM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #678
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm not saying if we lose this regional, fire Holbrook but dang if the leash doesn't tighten up a little. I wonder about his ability to motivate. Never concerned about that when Ray was coach.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #679
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed. Holbrook is another 4-5 years on the learning curve before we win anything significant. The downside is that we'll be chasing Florida, Vandy, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St for a long while. Also his recruiting...is it getting better?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #680
arice12
Gamecock Born and Bred

Male

arice12 has hatched from the shell

Blows my mind you don't run the runner at first to prevent the double play...a attempt from home to throw him out would be dicey a man on third...think you run Harrington in that position and double switch him and arendas putting arendas at 2nd...shrock could barely run before being hurt much less now ie: Vanderbilt game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arice12 is offline   Reply With Quote